What boots offer best Ankle support?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/27/2014 12:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2014 12:52 PM

I'm having some problems with my Sidi crossfire 2 Boots, after 1 season with them and some bad landings my ankles are not in good shape at all. They are really comfortable and have great feeling when it comes to shifting and braking, but feel they do not offer good ankle support. I tried a friends Gaerne SG12's and immediately they seem to have better ankle support. I read the 2014 Tech10 review on vital and Michael say's the new tech 10's have great ankle support.

My local shop has the TCX Pro 2.1 on sale for 299, and have read the also offer great ankle support.

I really appreciate any input on this.

Thanks.

|

12/27/2014 12:54 PM

AXO A2

|

12/27/2014 1:06 PM

the tech 10's (doesn't matter the model) will offer great ankle support for a couple of rides. They are the only top of the line boots without the hinge so they will start to break down fairly quickly and then be the worst boots. Gearne's are good, Fox are good, and those sidis you had should be good as well.

|

12/27/2014 2:02 PM

I've got quite a bit of time on my Astar T10's, and the ankle support is excellent. I think if you want max ankle support, you should also look at the Astars Tech 8's.

|

12/27/2014 3:13 PM

Tech 10s

|

12/27/2014 3:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2014 3:29 PM

Cannot beat the quality and fit of Sidi. Highly recommend Sidi Crossfire SRS 2

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

bd

12/27/2014 3:33 PM

Tech10's all the way.

If you are really serious, also buy some ankle braces.

|

12/27/2014 3:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2014 3:57 PM

Gaerne SG12's are by far the best boot ever made. Nothing else even comes close in the support and protection, and quality of them.

Most replies on here are just owners of the boots they recommend, and maybe the ones they have are better than their previous boots, but have not actually ever tried an SG12.

Do yourself a favor and try them yourself if at all possible, or at least ask someone who has.

|

12/27/2014 4:56 PM

tech 10's or SG 12's you can't go wrong

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/27/2014 5:00 PM

I've heard rumors of a high end Fly boot this year. I'm really hoping for the best out of it.

|

12/27/2014 5:02 PM

Wow

|

12/27/2014 6:27 PM

rjs wrote:

Gaerne SG12's are by far the best boot ever made. Nothing else even comes close in the support and protection, and quality of ...more

I have owned 4+ sets of Gaerne boots, multiple fox and Astar boots. I have a few friends with broken ankles and even one with a fused ankle. We all suggest Astar boots. I sprained both my ankles in Gaerne boots with maybe 9 rides on them. I feel like the bootie system alpinestars has works really well for people who need that extra support. Now Gaerne are great boots for some but every pair I've had the buckles always break and wear out really fast. Never tried Sidi so I can't comment on those

|

12/27/2014 6:47 PM

Fox instincts.

I have a couple of the worst ankels you could ever come across. They have a hinge that protects hyper extension, and it's amazing.

I have felt a couple times where if I were wearing anything else my ankels woulda have buckeled. I swear by these boots.

Right now you can get them online for like 315. Scoop em up while you can

|

shit'll buff out

12/27/2014 7:30 PM

moscrop940 wrote:

Fox instincts.

I have a couple of the worst ankels you could ever come across. They have a hinge that protects hyper ...more

My son broke his talus bone by hyper extending his ankle when wearing Fox instincts, although it could have been worse with another brand boot.
I'd recommend using a lace up or adjustable neoprene ankle supports under your mx socks. I've used them for years and never had problems, irregardless of the boots worn.
I do like the fact the instincts will not bend
sideways at the ankle like my Sidi's do...

|

12/27/2014 7:35 PM

My top picks after two broken ankles (both with a-star)
Forma Predator
Gaerne SG12
astar tech 10

Still a prefer the SG12 over the forma because fits better my feet. I still had pain last season because of my lastest broken ankle and I rode with theses three boots (the Forma had 3-4 season on them) and I had less pain in the Forma. I bought the SG12 believing to have the same support but it's pretty close. Altough the Tech10 feel lighter than the others and you have a better feeling also.

|

12/27/2014 7:35 PM

Been using Astars since the late 90's when I was coming up. Still using them to this day. The tech 8's have saved my ankles and tib/fib many times. Last year in a race had a gnarly situation that ended up with a severely sprained ankle. Im convinced it would have been broken bones and pins/screws with a different boot. Just my opinion...

|

12/27/2014 8:13 PM

I bought 2 pairs of brand new boots this year.. Alpinestars Tech 10's and Sidi Crossfire 2's. The Tech 10"s are decent, but the Sidi Crossfire's are superior in comfort, movement, and definitely protection. My next boot will be Sidi's. Never had the Gaerne's.

mike

|

12/27/2014 8:25 PM

bd wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Do me a favor, go grab your boot and see if you can bend it so that the toe box touches the shin. I tried that with a pair of crossfires a few years ago and could hold that boot folded with one hand. How much ankle protection do you think that could provide?

|

12/27/2014 9:04 PM

bd wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Grieby54 wrote:

Do me a favor, go grab your boot and see if you can bend it so that the toe box touches the shin. I tried that with a pair of ...more

my son has sprained his ankles NUMEROUS TIMES, in Alpinestars Tech 10, he is now trying Sidi Crossfires

|

12/27/2014 9:16 PM

bd wrote:

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Grieby54 wrote:

Do me a favor, go grab your boot and see if you can bend it so that the toe box touches the shin. I tried that with a pair of ...more

holeshot413 wrote:

my son has sprained his ankles NUMEROUS TIMES, in Alpinestars Tech 10, he is now trying Sidi Crossfires

AXO A2 boots are amazing came from using crossfires and spraining my ankle a bunch in them and same with my fox instincts, the AXO A2 are great no ankle issues and very high quality.

|

12/27/2014 9:36 PM

Cashmore wrote:

I have owned 4+ sets of Gaerne boots, multiple fox and Astar boots. I have a few friends with broken ankles and even one with ...more

Buckles breaking and wearing out on Gaerne's and you recommend Alpinestars?

Your experience directly contradicts mine and virtually every other MX racer. Gaerne buckles are bulletproof and foolproof. Alpinestars buckles take a magician to close and never seem to stay that way.

|

Powerband in every gear !

12/27/2014 11:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/27/2014 11:31 PM

FGR01 wrote:

Buckles breaking and wearing out on Gaerne's and you recommend Alpinestars?

Your experience directly contradicts mine and ...more

Really? Gaerne has always been known for crap buckles. It goes way back before SG12s. Here check this picture out from 2006 and look at the left boot middle buckle... oh wait there isn't one it completely fell off after 2 rides.
Photo

|

12/27/2014 11:54 PM

moscrop940 wrote:

Fox instincts.

I have a couple of the worst ankels you could ever come across. They have a hinge that protects hyper ...more

Joko wrote:

My son broke his talus bone by hyper extending his ankle when wearing Fox instincts, although it could have been worse with ...more

I broke talas as well but in 661 flight boots. I now have tech10s and they definitely offer more protection than my old boots anyway.

|

12/27/2014 11:58 PM

how about some 2005 tech 10s that still get used on occasion. Same buckles and soles the boots came with 9 years ago.
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

12/28/2014 4:04 AM

New to the forum but normally look on here everyday but i have sidi crossfire srs2 and there good for abouta season then start flexing really bad and loosing all the support, defferently trying tech 10s next

|

12/28/2014 4:42 AM

Cashmore wrote:

how about some 2005 tech 10s that still get used on occasion. Same buckles and soles the boots came with 9 years ago.
Photo

Photo

Photo

Still rocking the same boots, 10 years and counting. cool

|

KX125

12/28/2014 5:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2014 5:27 AM

I think sg12s are as good as it gets. I currently have Sidis because I got a deal on them and tried them out and I don't like them compared to my sg12s. I have never had any issues with my sg12 buckles,soles, or anything and I have had two pair.

I have one ankle that I tore ligaments and tendons in and its sore every time I get done riding since I switched to sidi.

The last alpinestar boots I have had was a few years ago. Wore them maybe 10 times and the soles were destroyed on a brand new pair. I have heard they are a lot better now but that experience ended a stars for me.

|

12/28/2014 7:07 AM

I have been wearing some Tech 8's for the past couple of months and they are the best boots I have ever worn for support. Used Fox (comp series) before that. It's obvious that these have much more support and they were much better priced than the high end boots. Recommend these for sure.

|

12/28/2014 7:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2014 2:01 PM

Swapper#291 wrote:

New to the forum but normally look on here everyday but i have sidi crossfire srs2 and there good for abouta season then start ...more

Makes sense, I have the same boots and I feel when new they didn't flex as much.

It's a tuff decision when buying boots these days as no matter how comfortable they are, you never know how good they really perform. I think magazines should start doing more long term tests and comparing all of them in terms of protection longevity etc.

Thanks for all your input guy's.

|

12/28/2014 8:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/28/2014 9:01 AM

moscrop940 wrote:

Fox instincts.

Instincts hug your ankle incredibly snug. No slop. I haven't rode in mine yet but when I put them on I was like wow, these are incredible at the ankle. I have skinny legs and feet and the instincts fit like a glove.

There's a quad rider who tested the Greene sg10s and then makes a second move two years after the test in the same boots and hes still using them.

|

GP740
Since 1987