What bike should my old, fat a** buy?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2020 6:16 PM

I’m 32. Used to ride MX, never raced. Been a while since I’ve had a dirt bike though. Pretty much street once I got my license.

My kid just got a PW50. I live on 20 acres and was thinking about building us a little track and some lines through the woods.

My local dealer is a big KTM dealer but they have Yamaha and Suzuki too. Kawi too actually. They are selling the Suzuki’s real cheap. Will I regret getting one? I know I’m not going to outride any of them but I’d be half tempted to race some 450 beginner classes since I have a couple tracks close.

|

2/15/2020 6:19 PM

No, you will not regret getting a Suzuki, but pick a color and roost!

|

2/15/2020 6:20 PM

If you want a easy to ride, very reliable cheap new bike you can not beat a Suzuki, they are bulletproof and cheap, yeah they aren’t the fastest and dot they have electric start but big deal lol.

Yamahas are super reliable as well and have electric start but aren’t as mild and easy to ride as the Suzuki.

|

2/15/2020 6:22 PM

Blue Crew™

|

2/15/2020 6:27 PM

While the better deal is with Suzuki, I'd suggest getting something with electric start.

|

2/15/2020 6:28 PM

If you mostly want to just follow your kid around for a few years til he gets to 85s or something, I’d just try to find an old, used, bulletproof XR250 and lug around behind him. Lots of time to get a competitive bike after he learns the basics.

|

2/15/2020 7:35 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

If you mostly want to just follow your kid around for a few years til he gets to 85s or something, I’d just try to find an old, used, bulletproof XR250 and lug around behind him. Lots of time to get a competitive bike after he learns the basics.

Well I’ve been thinking about motocross again since I got this place. Thought it’d be cool to make a track when I was thinking about buying it.

I’ve heard the Yamahas are really reliable and that’d be nice. Heavy and bulky but I’m 6’2” 220 and I’ll be slow so doesn’t matter.

I’m not planning on hitting monster doubles or anything but I’d like to push myself and try to get faster.

|

2/15/2020 7:38 PM

kTM 300

|

2/15/2020 7:47 PM

APLMAN99 wrote:

If you mostly want to just follow your kid around for a few years til he gets to 85s or something, I’d just try to find an old, used, bulletproof XR250 and lug around behind him. Lots of time to get a competitive bike after he learns the basics.

Philly215 wrote:

Well I’ve been thinking about motocross again since I got this place. Thought it’d be cool to make a track when I was thinking about buying it.

I’ve heard the Yamahas are really reliable and that’d be nice. Heavy and bulky but I’m 6’2” 220 and I’ll be slow so doesn’t matter.

I’m not planning on hitting monster doubles or anything but I’d like to push myself and try to get faster.

YZ 250x or YZ 250f

|

2/15/2020 8:22 PM

Zaugg wrote:

While the better deal is with Suzuki, I'd suggest getting something with electric start.

Old fat guy here. The e-start is a life saver.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

2/15/2020 8:23 PM

If you think 32 is old wait until you double that. I'd love to be 32 again. dizzy

|

Anyone but Ralph!

2/15/2020 8:49 PM

Knobbyjake wrote:

If you think 32 is old wait until you double that. I'd love to be 32 again. dizzy

Sad the way we always think we're so old isn't it? 32 sounds young to me too, hitting level 4 this summer. Gulp!

|

2/15/2020 8:52 PM

Does a guy like him get a 450?
Wouldn't a YZ250f be better for someone that hasn't ridden in a long time ?

|

2/16/2020 4:16 AM

If I was in your position id get a leftover 19 rmz 250 there giving them away

|

2/16/2020 6:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 6:05 AM

Knobbyjake wrote:

If you think 32 is old wait until you double that. I'd love to be 32 again. dizzy

Agree!!!

I'm 58 and I have the bikes in my sig.

ONE issue with a full on MX bike, esp a 450 is gonna be over-heating if you're just putting around. For that reason, you may have to get a fan. A KTM 350 or 450 XC-F would be a good all-around bike for trails, playing, and the occasional race which you're not gonna win anyway but are riding just for fun. I mean, shoot... I ride my 125 in the 50+ class against 450's, 250's, and whatever else guys are riding.

As noted above, E-start is GREAT for old fat guys or old in-shape _short_ guys like 5' 6" me.

|

2015 Kawasaki KX 250F
2015 GasGas TXT Racing 125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125
2018 KTM 150 XC-W

2/16/2020 6:09 AM

Grab the Zook. Badass looking bike, well priced, competitive with anything in your class. Unless you feel the need to get something else, that's the beauty in being a grown-up.

|

2/16/2020 6:18 AM

Yamaha. Maybe have a look at the YZ450FX, although if you wanna try your hand at racing the standard F would be a better choice

|

2/16/2020 6:28 AM

My wife got me a 2019 yz450f for our 30th anniversary { either she wanted to get me exactly what I wanted or she's looking to collect on the life insurance?]
It's awesome and with the ability to tune it with your cell phone ap. you can really set it up anyway you want.
I've had suzuki's and always had issues with all the little stuff that you don't want to deal with. [Cheap]
Yamaha is by far the most reliable

|

2/16/2020 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 8:45 AM

I've spent A LOT of time on the '18/'19 RMZ450. It's a great bike for track AND trail. Super dependable, easy to maintain and great handling. What few complaints one would have about it DO NOT concern a person who's just starting out out AND it’s an affordable, easy to keep and VERY easy to ride MX bike.

They're currently available for less than $6K. That makes it an amazing deal,

Bye the way, I've raced & won races on that bike. So, it is competitive. It's a great bike.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

2/16/2020 1:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2020 1:07 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

I've spent A LOT of time on the '18/'19 RMZ450. It's a great bike for track AND trail. Super dependable, easy to maintain and great handling. What few complaints one would have about it DO NOT concern a person who's just starting out out AND it’s an affordable, easy to keep and VERY easy to ride MX bike.

They're currently available for less than $6K. That makes it an amazing deal,

Bye the way, I've raced & won races on that bike. So, it is competitive. It's a great bike.

I don't mean to hijack this thread at all, but I just got hold of an 19 Rmz 450, I haven't even ridden it yet but I've been reading a lot about changing the stock linkage arm for an after market and apparently it completely transforms the whole handling of the bike. Did you stick with the stock linkage arm or did you put an aftermarket arm on there, and did you notice the difference if you did?. I'm just not sure if I should hand over the $200 for a new linkage arm or not. So far everything I've read says it's a must?

|

2/17/2020 2:32 AM

Knobbyjake wrote:

If you think 32 is old wait until you double that. I'd love to be 32 again. dizzy

burnside wrote:

Sad the way we always think we're so old isn't it? 32 sounds young to me too, hitting level 4 this summer. Gulp!

Ha ha, 32 is old. Good stuff right there. I’m 53 and I ride a very stock ‘06 RM 250 smoker. I’m 6’-1” and around 210 lbs. don’t worry about horsepower and your weight. I still throw a leg over my sons ‘01 RM 125 on track days and I can hang with a lot of 250f and 450f intermediates (I still know how to wind out a 1-2-5). Ive contemplated buying a leftover ‘19 RMZ450 myself (not worried about electric start and the added complexity), just haven’t had the time to ride and find it hard to switch to the dark side. Riding that 2 stroke 250 is so much damn fun.

|

2/17/2020 9:19 AM

Photo

Obvious joke because you said old fat ass. I'm similar to you. 32 been out for some time. Wanted a bike to race so my son would want to also. I'm a bit smaller so I went 250f. Is nice not worrying about the power reaching up biting me. If I were a bigger guy I'd probably go 450.
|

2018 CRF250R

2/17/2020 11:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2020 12:17 PM

Closer to 60 than 50 here.... E-start is a must. Thinking an SWM RS 300 R is going to be the next E ticket for me.

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

TG243 fan!

2/17/2020 12:48 PM

350 all day long. Perfect bike for what youre looking, doesnt have to be new either. They have very long service intervals and the 350 is a perfect balance of 250 and 450. Any bike will be a good choice but I think a 350 is the do-it-all bike

|

2/17/2020 1:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2020 1:24 PM

Alta MXR or EXR, if you can find one.

BTW, since when is 32 old? I'm that young and don't feel old! smile

|

2/17/2020 3:07 PM

32 is not old. Why don't you just get back in shape and get down with a ktm 450sx. You only live once, if you want to be "old and fat" do it, if you want to have some serious fun on a 450sx that's your choice. You will not regret investing in your health and fitness and what better way than with your son on an mx bike.

|

2/17/2020 3:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2020 3:13 PM

You are only old and fat because you choose to be. I am 33 and I usually can get in my cardio training while my girlfriend is sitting on the toilet checking her Facebook

|

2/17/2020 4:19 PM

Philly215 wrote:

I’m 32. Used to ride MX, never raced. Been a while since I’ve had a dirt bike though. Pretty much street once I got my license.

My kid just got a PW50. I live on 20 acres and was thinking about building us a little track and some lines through the woods.

My local dealer is a big KTM dealer but they have Yamaha and Suzuki too. Kawi too actually. They are selling the Suzuki’s real cheap. Will I regret getting one? I know I’m not going to outride any of them but I’d be half tempted to race some 450 beginner classes since I have a couple tracks close.

How fat?

If you're 200+, get a 450F as it will make getting back into motocross a bit easier on you.

If you're under 200, a 250F is great, or look into a KTM 350SX-F.

Nothing wrong with a Suzuki 450, it's a faster bike than most of us will ever need.

|

2/17/2020 6:57 PM

PW50 + small private track + getting back into riding = mid-sized air-cooled bike. Bullet proof, performs well at slow speeds, and a “10” on the fun factor. Plus a lot less noisy.

Get a full sized bike later. Meanwhile, just have a good time with your new riding buddy!

|

"You can't resist the louder pull..."