What are your MX rules or rituals?

Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:58pm
Checking the gas valve is obvious but here are 3 rules I ride by:

1. Always take a slow lap first to check out the track.

2. I don't ride when I am sick. (I've broken this rule recently)

3. When I am done, I am done. No saying, "I'll just go out for one more lap" = crash.

I've racked myself up no going by rule 1 and 2 at the same time.
|
GODMODE
10/16/2010 12:07pm
i do number one for sure
haha i rode with mono for the entire summer though :p which sucked cuz i was done after like only ten laps every time so i don't follow your number two

i always eat cheesesticks at the track? (: and i always go to eat at the same place after ( a local place called jcw's)

food+motocross= the best things ever
calimxer91
10/16/2010 12:11pm
Ritual.I never want to be the first person at or on the track. Always have a bad day when I do that.

Rule. Always have three beers before my night ride .

Ritual.And I always put the left side on first-boots ,gloves what have you.
Roscoe33
10/16/2010 12:13pm
Ramrod wrote:
Checking the gas valve is obvious but here are 3 rules I ride by: 1. Always take a slow lap first to check out the track...
Checking the gas valve is obvious but here are 3 rules I ride by:

1. Always take a slow lap first to check out the track.

2. I don't ride when I am sick. (I've broken this rule recently)

3. When I am done, I am done. No saying, "I'll just go out for one more lap" = crash.

I've racked myself up no going by rule 1 and 2 at the same time.
4. wash bike when I get home, then and /or fix it when I get home.
(not just before I go out again )

5. don't ride alone.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
10/16/2010 12:16pm
"5. don't ride alone." - good call

"Rule. Always have three beers before my night ride." - always have three beers after riding!

The Shop

calimxer91
10/16/2010 12:17pm
Ramrod wrote:
"5. don't ride alone." - good call

"Rule. Always have three beers before my night ride." - always have three beers after riding!
Just on a trail ride.Before, during and after.Cool
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
10/16/2010 12:22pm
Never roll a jump I'm thinking of doing more than 3 times. If I haven't jumped it by the third lap I'm not doing it that day because I start thinking about it too much and for some reason those always lead to the worst crashes. I usually hate the 3rd lap of practice at a new track cuz I have to sack it up and go for it.

Also:

- Always wash out the carb after a mud race.
- Never ride without all my gear on (broken this rule a few times and paid the price for it)
- If I did any maintenance, go over all the bolts in that area one last time
- Always pray before I head out onto the track for safety but also give God thanks for the opportunity to ride

That's about it. Gear goes on in the order of whichever is closes or cleanest.
10/16/2010 2:05pm
I always try to change my routine every time I ride, that way I dont have any excuse for bad luck--it just happens.

I do have one rule--No Bad Religion Logos on anything but my toolbox. I put a Bad Religion sticker on my bike and I got a concussion. I also bough the Shift punk gear a few years ago (It has the logo in the background) and broke my leg in it. Then the first ride back from that, I thought I would break the jinx and wear the same gear--crashed my brains out and tore my ACL.
Towelie
10/16/2010 2:08pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Never roll a jump I'm thinking of doing more than 3 times. If I haven't jumped it by the third lap I'm not doing it that...
Never roll a jump I'm thinking of doing more than 3 times. If I haven't jumped it by the third lap I'm not doing it that day because I start thinking about it too much and for some reason those always lead to the worst crashes. I usually hate the 3rd lap of practice at a new track cuz I have to sack it up and go for it.

Also:

- Always wash out the carb after a mud race.
- Never ride without all my gear on (broken this rule a few times and paid the price for it)
- If I did any maintenance, go over all the bolts in that area one last time
- Always pray before I head out onto the track for safety but also give God thanks for the opportunity to ride

That's about it. Gear goes on in the order of whichever is closes or cleanest.
Funny you mention that, I just realized I didnt tighten up those four bolts on the front axle when I changed a flat yesterday, better go do that now!SickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickSickWoohoo
Outsider
10/16/2010 2:09pm
Left boot first... ALWAYS. Socks don't matter though..

ALWAYS, Drop new helmet on the ground from a height of at least 4 feet before first ride, no matter how much it costs.
Rupert X
10/16/2010 2:14pm

Have you ever put your foot through your race-pants leg at the track - only to have

your wife's dainties get pushed out onto the ground- to the amusement of your fellow

goons ?

I check my pants now.

Serious biz, I have to.

And I'm checking that gas-valve (refuse to say "petcock", hehe) far too often.

10/16/2010 2:31pm
Outsider wrote:
Left boot first... ALWAYS. Socks don't matter though.. ALWAYS, Drop new helmet on the ground from a height of at least 4 feet before first ride...
Left boot first... ALWAYS. Socks don't matter though..

ALWAYS, Drop new helmet on the ground from a height of at least 4 feet before first ride, no matter how much it costs.
I do the helmet drop too, I also throw new gear on the ground and stomp on it. Ok maybe I do have some rituals now that I think about it.
BlueThumper
10/16/2010 3:13pm
1. Drop a new helmet from shoulder height.
2. Left boot and glove first.
3. Quick thank you prayer before heading out while bike is warming up.
4. I know it is weird but I always pat the seat after unloading and putting the bike on the stand and tell her she looks good. Weird, I know.
Cygnus
10/16/2010 3:25pm
Never fuck or beat off at least 3 days before the race.
mxrider225
Fantasy
2876th
10/16/2010 4:03pm
I dont really do anything.

I put my stuff on in the same order each time but it really isnt a ritual.

socks > pants > boots > shirt > helmet > gloves> goggles.
Outsider
10/16/2010 4:06pm
Cygnus wrote:
Dude, I've jacked it twice since I got here... Dry
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
10/16/2010 4:10pm
LOL!

Good rules.
smc916
10/16/2010 4:18pm
Always right to left. Socks, sleeves, braces, boots, gloves, and googles go on last, if I put my goggles on before my gloves then I take them off and put my gloves on. I also used to not ride with my wedding ring because of blisters, but at some point I decided I had to ride with it on always. And even if I drove 3 hours to ride, if I get out on the track and I'm not feelin it, I call it a day.
bullpen58
10/16/2010 4:21pm
I actually LOVE to say "one more lap" or "one more moto" just to shatter the power of that jinx. hahaha. It works if you say it all the time.
smc916
10/16/2010 4:25pm
bullpen58 wrote:
I actually LOVE to say "one more lap" or "one more moto" just to shatter the power of that jinx. hahaha. It works if you say...
I actually LOVE to say "one more lap" or "one more moto" just to shatter the power of that jinx. hahaha. It works if you say it all the time.
WHAT!!? Are you fuckin crazy man!!! That's another one of my bugaboos.
smc916
10/16/2010 4:28pm
Oh and the helmet drop thing too, last time a forgot to do that ended with a broken shoulder and back. God, I am a fucking head case...I've broken myself off enough different ways I guess it doesn't really matter what I do!
bullpen58
10/16/2010 4:28pm
Cygnus wrote:
Outsider wrote:
Dude, I've jacked it twice since I got here... Dry
LMFAO! Awesome!

Also, I always check the amount of the fuel in the bike, the tire pressure, and bleed the forks.
bullpen58
10/16/2010 4:29pm
bullpen58 wrote:
I actually LOVE to say "one more lap" or "one more moto" just to shatter the power of that jinx. hahaha. It works if you say...
smc916 wrote:
It used to be mine too, but I counteracted that jinx by saying it all the time. Not every single moto, but a lot of them. haha.

Having superstitions is bad luck. Wink
smc916
10/16/2010 4:30pm
bullpen58 wrote:
smc916 wrote:
bullpen58 wrote:
It used to be mine too, but I counteracted that jinx by saying it all the time. Not every single moto, but a lot of them...
It used to be mine too, but I counteracted that jinx by saying it all the time. Not every single moto, but a lot of them. haha.

Having superstitions is bad luck. Wink
Haha, no kidding!
bullpen58
10/16/2010 4:31pm
Oh yeah, and one more thing. I realized a few months ago that every single time I've ever crashed and gotten hurt, I was wearing boots, gloves, a helmet, and goggles. So I quit wearing all of those things. They're obviously terribly bad luck. ;p
bullpen58
10/16/2010 4:32pm
bullpen58 wrote:
Oh yeah, and one more thing. I realized a few months ago that every single time I've ever crashed and gotten hurt, I was wearing boots...
Oh yeah, and one more thing. I realized a few months ago that every single time I've ever crashed and gotten hurt, I was wearing boots, gloves, a helmet, and goggles. So I quit wearing all of those things. They're obviously terribly bad luck. ;p
And pants. I just wear a jock strap and a tank top when I ride now. Oh, and flip flops.

Haven't had an injury since I switched this up.
mx295
10/16/2010 4:45pm
Win if you can..Lose if you must.. But always always cheat
10/16/2010 7:38pm
didnt read all this ..... sorry

my only one... new gear hits the dirt before I put it on. period. Its going to hit the ground in some way... would rather it hit without me in it. I literally started off 2010 on the ground, was in a hurry to catch 1st practice, threw on my brand new ONE galazy gear and brand new Troy Lee... all hit the ground and left me with 1 bone in my thumb in 5 pieces. Broke my own rule!
Mike D
10/16/2010 7:58pm
Baby powder in gloves and boots.

Post a reply to: What are your MX rules or rituals?

The Latest