What about Brian Moreau at MEC

roninho
10/16/2018 1:00am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
So you're telling me any C class rider can just show up at an MXGP event, pay the entry fee for the MX2 class and they'll...
So you're telling me any C class rider can just show up at an MXGP event, pay the entry fee for the MX2 class and they'll let him race without even batting an eye at it? If so that's pretty stupid.

Up here if one of our pro racers wants to race an AMA national they have to go through the CMA/FIM to get the proper paperwork done before they can line up. All 3 of our guys that lined up for the MXdN had to go through the CMA/FIM to get an approval. It would be the same process if one of our guys wanted to race an MXGP event.

I can't see that only the US and Canada have to go through that process. I'm sure guys from Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, etc. all have a similar process they have to go through with their FIM affiliate.

If not, I'd say that it's not only stupid but unfair to the other nations.

It's already dangerous seeing C/Beginner riders on the track at the same time as the B and Pro riders at the practice track, change that to national pro and world class racers and that's a recipe for disaster.

I guess money talks and that's all that counts.
Well it is not that you can show up and be certain that you will be allowed to race since you have to apply for a wildcard and that has to be granted to you. If they don't know who you are and what your results are i don't think you will get a wildcard.

Having said that basically anybody who is racing EMX250 can get a wildcard for a race if you just pick the right one (as in the ones where there will not be 40 applicants). And if you look at the overseas gp's you'll see that there really isn't a quality requirement. At Turkey in MX2 there were multiple local guys who had fastest laps 35 seconds of the pace (on a 1:55 lap...).
10/16/2018 2:02am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 2:03am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
So you're telling me any C class rider can just show up at an MXGP event, pay the entry fee for the MX2 class and they'll...
So you're telling me any C class rider can just show up at an MXGP event, pay the entry fee for the MX2 class and they'll let him race without even batting an eye at it? If so that's pretty stupid.

Up here if one of our pro racers wants to race an AMA national they have to go through the CMA/FIM to get the proper paperwork done before they can line up. All 3 of our guys that lined up for the MXdN had to go through the CMA/FIM to get an approval. It would be the same process if one of our guys wanted to race an MXGP event.

I can't see that only the US and Canada have to go through that process. I'm sure guys from Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, etc. all have a similar process they have to go through with their FIM affiliate.

It's already dangerous seeing C/Beginner riders on the track at the same time as the B and Pro riders at the practice track, change that to national pro and world class racers and that's a recipe for disaster.

No, it's not like anyone can just show up and race.

Firstly you need to have the authorisation of your national federation which usually means an international motocross license, which they wouldn't hand out to just anyone. Additionally you need either an FIM Motocross World Championship or FIM Prize Event licence. It's worth noting that a Prize Event licence is what teams use to enter their riders.

So in effect their are 2 checks as to whether a rider is eligible to enter a GP.

keinz
10/16/2018 4:49am
Motofinne wrote:
The kids in that class are basically pros already. Pro = professional. Those kids are professional racers already.
Like all the All Stars amateurs
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
10/16/2018 5:00am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 5:01am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

No, it's not like anyone can just show up and race. Firstly you need to have the authorisation of your national federation which usually means an...
No, it's not like anyone can just show up and race.

Firstly you need to have the authorisation of your national federation which usually means an international motocross license, which they wouldn't hand out to just anyone. Additionally you need either an FIM Motocross World Championship or FIM Prize Event licence. It's worth noting that a Prize Event licence is what teams use to enter their riders.

So in effect their are 2 checks as to whether a rider is eligible to enter a GP.

Where you really see this is in BFE fly away races like South America and the Asian Pacific. The LOCAL governing body backs the fast dude in Malaysia, so the FIM grants him a 1 race liscense - then he gets lapped 2 minutes in.

The Shop

10/16/2018 5:35am
aaryn #234 wrote:
No different here in Australia, My race licence is no different to Dean Ferris race licence. If I chose to, I could enter a round of...
No different here in Australia,

My race licence is no different to Dean Ferris race licence.

If I chose to, I could enter a round of the Australian motocross chamiponship, I would be so much slower than the leaders it would not be funny, but I could enter.

No such thing as a pro licence, just a national senior licence.

Interesting to see what some people consider a Pro. If being paid to ride, with all bikes, gear, parts and tech support provided, that would have to be considered a professional rider. That is what you do to make a living no matter what your age. Would not most of the front runners in the Amateur scene in the U.S actually be considered professional sports people?

Their main focus and what keeps them going in life is earned by racing a dirt bike.
They are not considered professional until they race A class (pro, expert) or an actual pro race. The meaning of a professional rider in the USA seems to be lost among foreigners. It does not mean that you make a living racing dirt bikes, or that you must be a pro because you're 15 and don't have a real job. Laughing
10/16/2018 7:05am
They are not considered professional until they race A class (pro, expert) or an actual pro race. The meaning of a professional rider in the USA...
They are not considered professional until they race A class (pro, expert) or an actual pro race. The meaning of a professional rider in the USA seems to be lost among foreigners. It does not mean that you make a living racing dirt bikes, or that you must be a pro because you're 15 and don't have a real job. Laughing
Exactly. And because the definition of a pro is quite different in Europe since there isn't really anything or anyone who says who or what is considered amateur or pro, makes it easy for people to get confused in situations like this. And this goes for all sports, not just dirt bikes.

I think Moreau rode the right class at MEC. Throwing him among grown up men in the big boy class would have been stupid. Now he rode kids his age and his talent level and finished 4-4. I don't see the problem.
aroark247
10/16/2018 7:21am
One of the bigger issues I had with him was during the race he cut the track twice, and ended up ahead of Halpain.
keinz
10/16/2018 7:28am
t's simple in Europe. If your country federation is under FIM umbrella and you have your local licence, pay the fee for GP entrance and you good to go. Only thing for a race day you have to have time in timed practice in the 110% frame. Heck
2/3 of Estonian MXDN team is not pros
10/16/2018 7:40am
Exactly. And because the definition of a pro is quite different in Europe since there isn't really anything or anyone who says who or what is...
Exactly. And because the definition of a pro is quite different in Europe since there isn't really anything or anyone who says who or what is considered amateur or pro, makes it easy for people to get confused in situations like this. And this goes for all sports, not just dirt bikes.

I think Moreau rode the right class at MEC. Throwing him among grown up men in the big boy class would have been stupid. Now he rode kids his age and his talent level and finished 4-4. I don't see the problem.
I don't disagree with him being in the wrong class according to his level, but he shouldn't have raced MX2 or the amateur all start race at Monster cup. It's one or the other. If Hammaker for example, raced Ironman, he would not have been in the amateur race. Same thing.
keinz
10/16/2018 9:12am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 9:13am
And now what? Let's give a protest from Vital members, because most of them are much smarter than race organisers and they considered Moreau as a pro. Jeez. Give me a break
10/16/2018 9:18am
keinz wrote:
And now what? Let's give a protest from Vital members, because most of them are much smarter than race organisers and they considered Moreau as a...
And now what? Let's give a protest from Vital members, because most of them are much smarter than race organisers and they considered Moreau as a pro. Jeez. Give me a break
Settle down. Nobody cares that much.
Motofinne
10/16/2018 11:53am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 11:54am
I understand your point Squirrelings. I understand that "pro" means something else in USA.

But i have said this before and i'll say it again. It is ridiculous to call the top junior racers in USA "amateurs". They are professional racers, there is no way to deny that. Whether you call them pros of amateurs doesn't matter.

This event might be called "Amateur all-star" or whatever but the majority of them are professional racers.
10/16/2018 12:09pm
Motofinne wrote:
I understand your point Squirrelings. I understand that "pro" means something else in USA. But i have said this before and i'll say it again. It...
I understand your point Squirrelings. I understand that "pro" means something else in USA.

But i have said this before and i'll say it again. It is ridiculous to call the top junior racers in USA "amateurs". They are professional racers, there is no way to deny that. Whether you call them pros of amateurs doesn't matter.

This event might be called "Amateur all-star" or whatever but the majority of them are professional racers.
No, they aren’t until they race pro class. I don’t understand how you can even make that argument. We can agree to disagree.
ATKpilot99
10/16/2018 12:29pm
In the 2nd race it looked like he was more worried about who was catching him than racing forward.
10/16/2018 3:01pm
Exactly. And because the definition of a pro is quite different in Europe since there isn't really anything or anyone who says who or what is...

I don't disagree with him being in the wrong class according to his level, but he shouldn't have raced MX2 or the amateur all start race...
I don't disagree with him being in the wrong class according to his level, but he shouldn't have raced MX2 or the amateur all start race at Monster cup. It's one or the other. If Hammaker for example, raced Ironman, he would not have been in the amateur race. Same thing.
Then how do you explain him riding EMX again next year? I know Hammaker or anyone for that matter wouldn’t be able to line up for the amateur race if they raced Ironman, but it’s not the same thing. The problem is there isn’t really anything or anyone that defines wether you’re amateur or pro in Europe the way there is in the US. Like stated earlier, lining up for a GP as a wildcard doesn’t make you pro. The rules are different on both sides of the pond.
10/16/2018 3:07pm
This race was in America. All I am saying is that MXGP MX2 is the equivalent of the AMA nationals 250 class. If a rider raced the 250 national class, he would not be allowed to race the amateur all stars. That’s it. I don’t care that he was allowed to race.
DonM
10/16/2018 3:26pm
This race was in America. All I am saying is that MXGP MX2 is the equivalent of the AMA nationals 250 class. If a rider raced...
This race was in America. All I am saying is that MXGP MX2 is the equivalent of the AMA nationals 250 class. If a rider raced the 250 national class, he would not be allowed to race the amateur all stars. That’s it. I don’t care that he was allowed to race.
That's exactly what I was trying to say but I gave up....US race US rules....and I don't care either.
loftyair
10/16/2018 6:19pm
Instead of cooing through all the qualifying in the USA, I could go race the emx250, and be considered a pro here in the us, bypassing all the qualifying crap. Is this true?
10/16/2018 11:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 12:02am
loftyair wrote:
Instead of cooing through all the qualifying in the USA, I could go race the emx250, and be considered a pro here in the us, bypassing...
Instead of cooing through all the qualifying in the USA, I could go race the emx250, and be considered a pro here in the us, bypassing all the qualifying crap. Is this true?
No , because EMX250 have qualifying practices (2 groups) . If you don't make it there is a LCQ.

And i think you need to have points in the EMX or MX2/MXGP class to get your pro license in the US.

MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
10/17/2018 5:58am Edited Date/Time 10/17/2018 5:58am
loftyair wrote:
Instead of cooing through all the qualifying in the USA, I could go race the emx250, and be considered a pro here in the us, bypassing...
No , because EMX250 have qualifying practices (2 groups) . If you don't make it there is a LCQ. And i think you need to have...
No , because EMX250 have qualifying practices (2 groups) . If you don't make it there is a LCQ.

And i think you need to have points in the EMX or MX2/MXGP class to get your pro license in the US.

Or you can run a handful of Pro Am’s here.... have a 1/3 of the needed points and send your cash in. Worked for a guy I know.

Post a reply to: What about Brian Moreau at MEC

The Latest