What about Bob?...

9/9/2022 1:53am
Big Lenny wrote:
A prime Bob Hannah on modern equipment in a series against Tomac..Sexton..Barcia and Anderson..How does he do?..B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/08/567540/s1200_bob.jpg[/img]
A prime Bob Hannah on modern equipment in a series against Tomac..Sexton..Barcia and Anderson..How does he do?..Cool

BobbyM wrote:
How would Jesus do against god?
A fight between two ficticious characters, ha.
McG194
9/9/2022 5:31am
USA wrote:
Anyone comparing BOB HANNAH to justin barcia makes me chuckle and realize how many people here just act like they know moto. Thanks for pointing yourselves...
Anyone comparing BOB HANNAH to justin barcia makes me chuckle and realize how many people here just act like they know moto. Thanks for pointing yourselves out!
The talent may not be comparable but the attitude and willingness to run it in on anyone is the same. They are both wide open keep it pinned guys, Bob was just better at it.
McG194
9/9/2022 5:34am
A fight between two ficticious characters, ha.
mac3-d wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/09/567681/s1200_D233FAD0_D0F0_4360_B67B_4725083F6317.jpg[/img] Seriously!

Seriously!
Best thing about that movie is Bill Murray stayed in character and to this day Richard Dreyfuss freaking hates him.

The Shop

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
9/9/2022 9:41am
McG194 wrote:
Best thing about that movie is Bill Murray stayed in character and to this day Richard Dreyfuss freaking hates him.
Now that is funny. I can't stand Dreyfuss.

Bill Murray is a kick.

There's a documentary on him...it's about him just showing up randomly in average peoples lives, Partys, games, etc.

It's a hoot.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi4182948633/?playlistId=tt7329810&ref_=tt_p…

Wandell
9/9/2022 11:53am
Hannah was one of the all time greats and would be competitive in any era of MX/SX. Personally, I believe Hannah was at his best in 1983 on that works RC250 Honda. He absolutely had EVERYONE covered. Sadly, he came up short in the championship series because of injury.

kpiper
9/9/2022 2:24pm
chuckie108 wrote:
The difference between the riders of Bob’s era and the riders of today is not training techniques, or equipment, etc.. It’s the culture and environment they...
The difference between the riders of Bob’s era and the riders of today is not training techniques, or equipment, etc.. It’s the culture and environment they were brought up in. People of today, including todays riders, are just generally softer than older generations. It’s why they cut the motos to 25 minutes on a 101 degree day now. Todays default mindset is “is it safe!?”. When back in Bob’s day it was “let’s separate the men from the boys”. Not to sounds uphill both ways, but it’s just a reality. Every facet of life has gotten easier, including todays racing. It’s why guys now have much longer careers and race well into their 30’s- unlike Bob’s era. Watch an old video of Bob- number 1 his corner speed was unreal. #2 he was way more on the limit of his bike compared to today. They literally go around the track doing tank slappers. Bob from the 70’s in his prime now would be crushing it. Simply because who grew up riding shit desert tracks, in 100+ degree heat, wearing thick cotton jerseys and leather pants, for 45 minutes at a time. All while working in a welding shop in the Mojave desert to earn the money to pay his own way to the races on bikes he maintained himself. That’s not to say that’s the formula to succeed today. Buy it’s that upbringing that made Bob far more determined and driven than what we generally see today. Listen to old interviews. Rarely, if ever, do they complain about the tracks. Unlike today where we have thread after thread complaining about basically everything. And my point is not all of todays riders are garbage- far from if. ET, Chase, Etc are all great riders and champions. And NO ONE could have stopped the GOAT. But that’s partially because he was a throw back to the earlier eras. And it’s no one’s fault, we are all products of our environment. We just happen to live in a time where the bikes are super easy to ride, the tracks are perfectly watered and prepped, parents will spend everything to go racing, coaches are on every corner trying to help, everyone lives in AC, people are generally more affluent, and everything in general just makes life much easier.
Truth
kpiper
9/9/2022 2:25pm
Wandell wrote:
Hannah was one of the all time greats and would be competitive in any era of MX/SX. Personally, I believe Hannah was at his best in...
Hannah was one of the all time greats and would be competitive in any era of MX/SX. Personally, I believe Hannah was at his best in 1983 on that works RC250 Honda. He absolutely had EVERYONE covered. Sadly, he came up short in the championship series because of injury.

Yes, that year on Honda was something to see until Hannah got hurt. He was totally dominating. Very fun to watch.
bigsal
9/9/2022 3:18pm
Bob and Magoo on any track was just religion to me
9/9/2022 4:22pm
Falcon wrote:
Bob would get his ass handed to him for the first few races. Hear me out. Motocross is a mental game. Part of that mentality is...
Bob would get his ass handed to him for the first few races. Hear me out.

Motocross is a mental game. Part of that mentality is "how fast is 'fast?'" Hannah is amazing, he definitely has "it," and he has the heart of a champion. But if you time-traveled him from 1978 to today, gave him a 450 and all the practice time he needed, then dropped him into the field, he'd realize that the speeds of the sport have changed dramatically. The constant flow of innovation and human tendency to "up the game" have made this a different sport.

He would not have a problem with fitness, intimidation, or belief in himself, but the speed of competition has accelerated far beyond what the pros were doing in the '70s. It would take him a few races before he understood how far he really had to twist that throttle.
He would be rolling triples and double and singling the rhythm sections. It would be comical too see him hit the whoops as well.
Searights
9/9/2022 4:29pm
He would be rolling triples and double and singling the rhythm sections. It would be comical too see him hit the whoops as well.
Damn! That’s harsh, dude.
Flatliner
9/9/2022 4:35pm
Falcon wrote:
Bob would get his ass handed to him for the first few races. Hear me out. Motocross is a mental game. Part of that mentality is...
Bob would get his ass handed to him for the first few races. Hear me out.

Motocross is a mental game. Part of that mentality is "how fast is 'fast?'" Hannah is amazing, he definitely has "it," and he has the heart of a champion. But if you time-traveled him from 1978 to today, gave him a 450 and all the practice time he needed, then dropped him into the field, he'd realize that the speeds of the sport have changed dramatically. The constant flow of innovation and human tendency to "up the game" have made this a different sport.

He would not have a problem with fitness, intimidation, or belief in himself, but the speed of competition has accelerated far beyond what the pros were doing in the '70s. It would take him a few races before he understood how far he really had to twist that throttle.
Yes, day one sure. Supercross today would be a big shock to 93' MC too.
kpiper
9/9/2022 6:32pm
Something strange about some in this latest generation...they seem to think people in the past were inferior in some way. Just the opposite in reality. I think today's generation could not win WWII.

No one is saying putting a 61-year-old Bob Hannah on a 450 at A1 would do well. But If Bob Hannah were 21 years old today he would no doubt be as dominant now as he was then. Same with Roger D, Marty Smith, and all the rest.
kpiper
9/9/2022 6:59pm
And I challenge any of today's riders to try and ride as fast as Bob did wearing those same Scott boots! Smile Impossible.
9/9/2022 7:03pm
Searights wrote:
Truth. Eli, Chase, etc. Could go back in time and work them over as long as the bike stayed together, they would be pumped the biggest jump was 20 feet.
USA
Fantasy
507th
9/9/2022 7:11pm
Searights wrote:
Truth. Eli, Chase, etc. Could go back in time and work them over as long as the bike stayed together, they would be pumped the biggest...
Truth. Eli, Chase, etc. Could go back in time and work them over as long as the bike stayed together, they would be pumped the biggest jump was 20 feet.
The funny thing about this is I think you're not joking! 🤣

I dont care what era you grew up in, if you can't recognize the greatness of what Bob did, you just haven't studied motocross enough.
9/9/2022 7:43pm
Searights wrote:
Truth. Eli, Chase, etc. Could go back in time and work them over as long as the bike stayed together, they would be pumped the biggest...
USA wrote:
The funny thing about this is I think you're not joking! 🤣 I dont care what era you grew up in, if you can't recognize the...

I dont care what era you grew up in, if you can't recognize the greatness of what Bob did, you just haven't studied motocross enough.
Correct I didn't study until th early to mid 90's when it took balls to jump stuff. Hannah, Decoster and company were glorified flat trackers with a few singles thrown in. It got better in the mid 80's though.
9/9/2022 10:31pm
kpiper wrote:
Barcia would have never hit Hannah. That would have been a suicide move on his part. Hannah would have won just as much if he were...
Barcia would have never hit Hannah. That would have been a suicide move on his part.

Hannah would have won just as much if he were racing in his prime today. It is the rider and their will to win.
Hannah is like 5'6" or 5'7" according to google. I think Bambam would be OK. Lol @ "suicide move"
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
9/9/2022 10:32pm
kpiper wrote:
And I challenge any of today's riders to try and ride as fast as Bob did wearing those same Scott boots! Smile Impossible.
I had a pair of them.... Loved em.

....but then....they were gone from the market. I can't remember why. I never found a boot I liked as much after that. (in that era)

You people have me digging thru my old pics again....lol.

9/9/2022 10:57pm
Human progression is why it’s not possible to measure yesterdays hero’s with todays.
Why in the 70,s 80,s and even the 90,s didn’t they scrub jumps? Maybe wheel tap double singles?
Me I’m glad they didn’t I enjoy that era for what it was.
Yes there is that picture of JoJo Keller but I’d bet that’s not a scrub for speed purposes that’s a “cross up”
Bobs a god damn legend just ask him 😘.
Enjoy each eras qualities and don’t compare them it’s not worth it.

CPR
9/9/2022 11:40pm
USA wrote:
The funny thing about this is I think you're not joking! 🤣 I dont care what era you grew up in, if you can't recognize the...

Correct I didn't study until th early to mid 90's when it took balls to jump stuff. Hannah, Decoster and company were glorified flat trackers with...
Correct I didn't study until th early to mid 90's when it took balls to jump stuff. Hannah, Decoster and company were glorified flat trackers with a few singles thrown in. It got better in the mid 80's though.

9/9/2022 11:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2022 11:44pm
Human progression is why it’s not possible to measure yesterdays hero’s with todays. Why in the 70,s 80,s and even the 90,s didn’t they scrub jumps...
Human progression is why it’s not possible to measure yesterdays hero’s with todays.
Why in the 70,s 80,s and even the 90,s didn’t they scrub jumps? Maybe wheel tap double singles?
Me I’m glad they didn’t I enjoy that era for what it was.
Yes there is that picture of JoJo Keller but I’d bet that’s not a scrub for speed purposes that’s a “cross up”
Bobs a god damn legend just ask him 😘.
Enjoy each eras qualities and don’t compare them it’s not worth it.

I've just seen videos of him being interviewed about 90's racers compared to when he raced and he is always condescending. They asked him about Emig after he won the 96 and 97 outdoor titles and 97 SX title. He made a smart ass comment saying "you really want me to answer that?" Theres another one where he basically called Pastrana an idiot for competing in Freestyle. I mean I get it it. He's a bitter old guy who never made 1/10 the money that these guys have, just seemed petty to me.
jock
Fantasy
1st
9/10/2022 4:01am
kpiper wrote:
Something strange about some in this latest generation...they seem to think people in the past were inferior in some way. Just the opposite in reality. I...
Something strange about some in this latest generation...they seem to think people in the past were inferior in some way. Just the opposite in reality. I think today's generation could not win WWII.

No one is saying putting a 61-year-old Bob Hannah on a 450 at A1 would do well. But If Bob Hannah were 21 years old today he would no doubt be as dominant now as he was then. Same with Roger D, Marty Smith, and all the rest.
Amen.
lestat
9/10/2022 9:16am
The woke millennials would be running crying to their helicopter mama … that’s what would happen .
captmoto
9/10/2022 10:49am
Forty wrote:
I’ll jump in. He does well against any champion in any era because he had “it”. “It” is evident, obvious, and prevails in all racing eras...
I’ll jump in.

He does well against any champion in any era because he had “it”. “It” is evident, obvious, and prevails in all racing eras and with all technology available.

He’d destroy Barcia because Barcia doesn’t have “it”.
Big Lenny wrote:
I threw Barcia in there in case he rammed Bob....Laughing
Bob would ram him back twice. Once when he passed him and then when he lapped him.
captmoto
9/10/2022 10:53am
chuckie108 wrote:
The difference between the riders of Bob’s era and the riders of today is not training techniques, or equipment, etc.. It’s the culture and environment they...
The difference between the riders of Bob’s era and the riders of today is not training techniques, or equipment, etc.. It’s the culture and environment they were brought up in. People of today, including todays riders, are just generally softer than older generations. It’s why they cut the motos to 25 minutes on a 101 degree day now. Todays default mindset is “is it safe!?”. When back in Bob’s day it was “let’s separate the men from the boys”. Not to sounds uphill both ways, but it’s just a reality. Every facet of life has gotten easier, including todays racing. It’s why guys now have much longer careers and race well into their 30’s- unlike Bob’s era. Watch an old video of Bob- number 1 his corner speed was unreal. #2 he was way more on the limit of his bike compared to today. They literally go around the track doing tank slappers. Bob from the 70’s in his prime now would be crushing it. Simply because who grew up riding shit desert tracks, in 100+ degree heat, wearing thick cotton jerseys and leather pants, for 45 minutes at a time. All while working in a welding shop in the Mojave desert to earn the money to pay his own way to the races on bikes he maintained himself. That’s not to say that’s the formula to succeed today. Buy it’s that upbringing that made Bob far more determined and driven than what we generally see today. Listen to old interviews. Rarely, if ever, do they complain about the tracks. Unlike today where we have thread after thread complaining about basically everything. And my point is not all of todays riders are garbage- far from if. ET, Chase, Etc are all great riders and champions. And NO ONE could have stopped the GOAT. But that’s partially because he was a throw back to the earlier eras. And it’s no one’s fault, we are all products of our environment. We just happen to live in a time where the bikes are super easy to ride, the tracks are perfectly watered and prepped, parents will spend everything to go racing, coaches are on every corner trying to help, everyone lives in AC, people are generally more affluent, and everything in general just makes life much easier.
Regarding AC, I think Hannah and possibly others rode in box vans with AC off to acclimate. They believed they would be stronger by not varying their climate with AC.
captmoto
9/10/2022 10:55am
Correct I didn't study until th early to mid 90's when it took balls to jump stuff. Hannah, Decoster and company were glorified flat trackers with...
Jump for show, corner for dough.

Post a reply to: What about Bob?...

The Latest