What about Bob?...

Big Lenny
Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 10:25pm
A prime Bob Hannah on modern equipment in a series against Tomac..Sexton..Barcia and Anderson..How does he do?..Cool

|
mxking6
9/8/2022 7:44am
I feel any of the elite from any specific era would be competitive with any of the top guys from any other area. Skill = skill…..
ML512
Fantasy
45th
9/8/2022 7:44am
He would do good.
TeamGreen
9/8/2022 7:46am
The thing that was different in Hannah’s era was how quickly and “dramatically” the bikes were changing.
When he was at Yamaha…he was on fire.
Forty
9/8/2022 7:47am
Big Lenny wrote:
A prime Bob Hannah on modern equipment in a series against Tomac..Sexton..Barcia and Anderson..How does he do?..B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/08/567540/s1200_bob.jpg[/img]
A prime Bob Hannah on modern equipment in a series against Tomac..Sexton..Barcia and Anderson..How does he do?..Cool

I’ll jump in.

He does well against any champion in any era because he had “it”. “It” is evident, obvious, and prevails in all racing eras and with all technology available.

He’d destroy Barcia because Barcia doesn’t have “it”.

The Shop

Big Lenny
9/8/2022 7:50am
Forty wrote:
I’ll jump in. He does well against any champion in any era because he had “it”. “It” is evident, obvious, and prevails in all racing eras...
I’ll jump in.

He does well against any champion in any era because he had “it”. “It” is evident, obvious, and prevails in all racing eras and with all technology available.

I threw Barcia in there in case he rammed Bob....Laughing
mxking6
9/8/2022 7:50am
Forty wrote:
I’ll jump in. He does well against any champion in any era because he had “it”. “It” is evident, obvious, and prevails in all racing eras...
I’ll jump in.

Agree
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
9/8/2022 7:51am
One thing's for sure....there would be 12 threads a week calling for Bob to be banned from racing.

Bob was my first MX hero.

lappedrider
9/8/2022 7:56am
Magoofan wrote:
One thing's for sure....there would be 12 threads a week calling for Bob to be banned from racing. Bob was my first MX hero. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/f3/52/91f352c27e1f43d256752a67ceab08c0.jpg[/img]
One thing's for sure....there would be 12 threads a week calling for Bob to be banned from racing.

Bob was my first MX hero.

Bob made contact moving forward, not backward.
lappedrider
9/8/2022 7:57am
Big Lenny wrote:
I threw Barcia in there in case he rammed Bob....Laughing
Justin would only Ram Bob once. Then he would learn his lesson.
ATKpilot99
9/8/2022 7:57am
TeamGreen wrote:
The thing that was different in Hannah’s era was how quickly and “dramatically” the bikes were changing.
This is true . And think of DeCoster . He started out on a CZ with 3 in. of travel and ended his career with a double moto win on a pro link Honda . These guys would do fine .
McG194
9/8/2022 7:59am
Impossible question to answer.

If you took 1978 Bob off his OW and dropped him in a national or SX he'd be lucky to qualify if he could stay out of the ambulance. If same Bob Hannah was born in 1999 and grew up on modern equipment with modern training he'd be right there with the best of them. His wild out of control style may make Barcia look like Roczen though. If you tried riding a modern 450 the way Bob wrung the neck of his bikes we would be notifying next of kin in short order.
Big Lenny
9/8/2022 8:00am
TeamGreen wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
This is true . And think of DeCoster . He started out on a CZ with 3 in. of travel and ended his career with a...
This is true . And think of DeCoster . He started out on a CZ with 3 in. of travel and ended his career with a double moto win on a pro link Honda . These guys would do fine .
Wink
SX_336
9/8/2022 8:03am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 8:04am
Big Lenny wrote:
A prime Bob Hannah on modern equipment in a series against Tomac..Sexton..Barcia and Anderson..How does he do?..B) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/09/08/567540/s1200_bob.jpg[/img]

3rd or 4th depending on who got up first between he and Barcia from taking each other out.😝😝
kpiper
9/8/2022 8:07am
Barcia would have never hit Hannah. That would have been a suicide move on his part.

Hannah would have won just as much if he were racing in his prime today. It is the rider and their will to win.
McG194
9/8/2022 8:09am
Big Lenny wrote:

SX_336 wrote:
3rd or 4th depending on who got up first between he and Barcia from taking each other out.😝😝
The best thing are the Hannah lovers who think Barcia should be in jail. lol

They are pretty much the same guy.

Note: I'm not dogging Hannah at all, back in the day I'd put electric tape lightning bolts on my helmet until JT finally came out with stickers like that.. HUUUUUGE Hannah fan.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
9/8/2022 8:13am
McG194 wrote:
Impossible question to answer. If you took 1978 Bob off his OW and dropped him in a national or SX he'd be lucky to qualify if...
Impossible question to answer.

If you took 1978 Bob off his OW and dropped him in a national or SX he'd be lucky to qualify if he could stay out of the ambulance. If same Bob Hannah was born in 1999 and grew up on modern equipment with modern training he'd be right there with the best of them. His wild out of control style may make Barcia look like Roczen though. If you tried riding a modern 450 the way Bob wrung the neck of his bikes we would be notifying next of kin in short order.
Put him on a new YZ250.
ddog558
9/8/2022 8:18am
Hannah would have rode the last 5 minutes standing on the pegs, while calling everyone else a pussy because they couldnt "man up".

I miss the Bob Hannah days....
kpiper
9/8/2022 8:21am
Big Lenny wrote:

SX_336 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
The best thing are the Hannah lovers who think Barcia should be in jail. lol They are pretty much the same guy. Note: I'm not dogging...

Note: I'm not dogging Hannah at all, back in the day I'd put electric tape lightning bolts on my helmet until JT finally came out with stickers like that.. HUUUUUGE Hannah fan.
Hannah won a lot more than Barcia so not really the same guy. But I get your point. Hannah would take someone out in a second if he felt they did him wrong. I suppose Barcia always feels that way even though I think Barcia is wrong most of the time on that aspect. Barcia seems to just get pissed if you pass him.

Many here don't appreciate that MX is a contact sport.
lappedrider
9/8/2022 8:21am
Big Lenny wrote:

SX_336 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
The best thing are the Hannah lovers who think Barcia should be in jail. lol They are pretty much the same guy. Note: I'm not dogging...

Disagree, Hannah rode aggressive going forward. Barcia is banging people as he falls back. They are not the same person imo.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
9/8/2022 8:26am
McG194 wrote:

Spot on.

Hannah was that eras Barcia.

....and that eras Webb as well. People hate Webb due to "cockiness" ....Bob excelled in that department. ...but I would call that confidence and mental strength for both Hannah and Webb.

...and yeah....I was a Hannah wannabe too.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/8/2022 8:34am
Bob would get his ass handed to him for the first few races. Hear me out.

Motocross is a mental game. Part of that mentality is "how fast is 'fast?'" Hannah is amazing, he definitely has "it," and he has the heart of a champion. But if you time-traveled him from 1978 to today, gave him a 450 and all the practice time he needed, then dropped him into the field, he'd realize that the speeds of the sport have changed dramatically. The constant flow of innovation and human tendency to "up the game" have made this a different sport.

He would not have a problem with fitness, intimidation, or belief in himself, but the speed of competition has accelerated far beyond what the pros were doing in the '70s. It would take him a few races before he understood how far he really had to twist that throttle.
kpiper
9/8/2022 8:37am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 8:40am
Falcon wrote:
Bob would get his ass handed to him for the first few races. Hear me out. Motocross is a mental game. Part of that mentality is...
Bob would get his ass handed to him for the first few races. Hear me out.

Motocross is a mental game. Part of that mentality is "how fast is 'fast?'" Hannah is amazing, he definitely has "it," and he has the heart of a champion. But if you time-traveled him from 1978 to today, gave him a 450 and all the practice time he needed, then dropped him into the field, he'd realize that the speeds of the sport have changed dramatically. The constant flow of innovation and human tendency to "up the game" have made this a different sport.

He would not have a problem with fitness, intimidation, or belief in himself, but the speed of competition has accelerated far beyond what the pros were doing in the '70s. It would take him a few races before he understood how far he really had to twist that throttle.
The speed is faster now because of the bikes, nothing more. Same as the speed increased from 1970 to 1980 but Hannah could still win and did. Last win was in 1985 I think.
kijen
9/8/2022 8:44am
The greats would adapt, the bikes did not make them champs. Skill desire etc..did.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
9/8/2022 8:50am
Magoofan wrote:
Spot on. Hannah was that eras Barcia. ....and that eras Webb as well. People hate Webb due to "cockiness" ....Bob excelled in that department. ...but I...
Spot on.

....and that eras Webb as well. People hate Webb due to "cockiness" ....Bob excelled in that department. ...but I would call that confidence and mental strength for both Hannah and Webb.

Don’t compare one of the greatest motocross racers to ever live with a guy with 1 premier class MX win.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
9/8/2022 8:55am
Bob would be pissed they threw the checkered flag before 40 +2 was up.
motomike137
9/8/2022 9:05am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2022 9:12am
SX_336 wrote:
McG194 wrote:

kpiper wrote:
Hannah won a lot more than Barcia so not really the same guy. But I get your point. Hannah would take someone out in a second...
Hannah won a lot more than Barcia so not really the same guy. But I get your point. Hannah would take someone out in a second if he felt they did him wrong. I suppose Barcia always feels that way even though I think Barcia is wrong most of the time on that aspect. Barcia seems to just get pissed if you pass him.

Many here don't appreciate that MX is a contact sport.
I think Bob only retaliated when screwed with. He didn't go looking for trouble but he damned sure didn't back down from it either. Bob's closest alter ego since his era is probably RC. They both seemed to hate losing more than they enjoyed winning. Bob was a pioneer when it came to contracts if I recall correctly, something to do with deferring payment and being paid well into his retirement if I am on the right track. I know it's hard for the younger folks to understand but he was every bit as good and determined as anyone that has raced since.
Dave v3.0
9/8/2022 9:10am
I would pay good money to see Hannah, Carmichael, Barcia, Staten, Villopoto, and Johnson race in the same era. There would be some much desire to win on the track that you would need 6 ambulances.
Searights
9/8/2022 9:55am
Magoofan wrote:
Spot on. Hannah was that eras Barcia. ....and that eras Webb as well. People hate Webb due to "cockiness" ....Bob excelled in that department. ...but I...
Spot on.

Bad ass pic👍

Post a reply to: What about Bob?...

The Latest