What Tire Is Good????

chump6784
6/14/2021 7:30pm
Maxxis MX ST was a very good tyre when I had a yz250 2 stroke. Haven't had a chance to test longevity on a 450 yet but they grip well
Speeddemon73
6/15/2021 4:36am
I have been running Dunlop MX33's F&R on both my 450 and 250 here in Michigan where our tracks are sandy/clay topsoil mix. During the summer when the tracks start to bake in the heat, the clay hardens up to where you could get away with an intermediate tire, but leaving the soft terrain tires on is a safe bet especially after the track crew overwaters the track mid-day and things become soupy. Some guys have started running Dunlop MX33 front and MX12 sand scoop tires on the rear. My local tracks, well tracks within an hour of me, added a LOT of sand recently and have begun to rip the tracks deep and water them heavily the night before. On a 450 the MX33 is fine front and rear, but anything below that the scoop on the rear is the best bet through the deep loam until things dry out and harden up.

Honestly, I really wish Dunlop would bring back the D756 tires. I have yet to find a tire that gripped and worked so well for my local tracks. Nothing has felt the same as that tire did. A couple of years ago one of the big online retailers found a pile of them in their warehouse that had never been sold. They sold out before I could order any. Those were the days. Ricky, Stew, and Chad were on the TV and Dunlop D756 tires in the dealership. Ugh good memories hahaha

Back to the original question though. New tires are always best, but here in Michigan most dudes run Dunlop MX33's, MX12 rear, Pirelli tires, a couple run Hoosier, and a while back Michelin S12 soft tires were the bee's knees but chunked like crazy if there was any hardpack on the track.
6/15/2021 5:41am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Michelin.
Moto520 wrote:
Starcross medium?
Really rate these. Great traction and holding up really well even when the track dries out later in the day and gets more hard pack. Better than Dunlop on both counts for me - traction and durability.

The Shop

Zeke27G
6/15/2021 5:47am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2021 5:47am
Moto520 wrote:
How is the Bridgestone Battlecross X30? Does it last?
Been running the X30 front and X40 rear (120/80-19), they last a lot longer than the MX33's and I also prefer the stiffer sidewall of the X40 over an MX33, which can often times feel like you have a rear flat.
EngIceDave
6/15/2021 5:59am
What oil should I use?
WDSRCR
6/15/2021 5:59am
TeamGreen wrote:
Recently ran a Washougal III front in Baja as recommended by a guy we call “11 Time”…that’s how many times he’s -won- the Baja 1000… It...
Recently ran a Washougal III front in Baja as recommended by a guy we call “11 Time”…that’s how many times he’s -won- the Baja 1000…
It was excellent in the sand AND everything-else, too.

Edit: it's a Washougal III -NOT- a Millville III. My bad!
Rickyisms wrote:
How did it feel at highspeeds? I have heard the softer carcass of a Kenda flexes more than other brands at high speeds or big hits...
How did it feel at highspeeds? I have heard the softer carcass of a Kenda flexes more than other brands at high speeds or big hits at an MX track, I've been interested in trying a set.
@TeamGreen Do you mean Washougal III? I am a Kenda supported rider and haven't seen a Millville III? Maybe they just aren't available to us pleebs though.

I do 100% agree about the Washougal III though. It's a great front tire. For the op, at a place like Red Bud, I'd recommend the Southwick rear with the matching front or even a Washougal front, if he can find one.
TeamGreen
6/15/2021 8:26am
TeamGreen wrote:
Recently ran a Washougal III front in Baja as recommended by a guy we call “11 Time”…that’s how many times he’s -won- the Baja 1000… It...
Recently ran a Washougal III front in Baja as recommended by a guy we call “11 Time”…that’s how many times he’s -won- the Baja 1000…
It was excellent in the sand AND everything-else, too.

Edit: it's a Washougal III -NOT- a Millville III. My bad!
Rickyisms wrote:
How did it feel at highspeeds? I have heard the softer carcass of a Kenda flexes more than other brands at high speeds or big hits...
How did it feel at highspeeds? I have heard the softer carcass of a Kenda flexes more than other brands at high speeds or big hits at an MX track, I've been interested in trying a set.
WDSRCR wrote:
@TeamGreen Do you mean Washougal III? I am a Kenda supported rider and haven't seen a Millville III? Maybe they just aren't available to us pleebs...
@TeamGreen Do you mean Washougal III? I am a Kenda supported rider and haven't seen a Millville III? Maybe they just aren't available to us pleebs though.

I do 100% agree about the Washougal III though. It's a great front tire. For the op, at a place like Red Bud, I'd recommend the Southwick rear with the matching front or even a Washougal front, if he can find one.
BOOM!

It is a Washougal III.

I went back and fixed it. Thanks!
Moto520
6/15/2021 8:52am
I went with the Starcross medium......thanks for the input.

Post a reply to: What Tire Is Good????

The Latest