What Really Happened in San Diego (and Daytona)

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2011 1:16 PM

|

2/21/2011 1:33 PM

It's fun and funny to call this guy a privateer but how do you consider him that. Factory Honda gives him parts.

|

2/21/2011 1:37 PM

cool article. got both races right.

supercross = awesome talent required
nascar = not so much

|

2/21/2011 1:42 PM

Sherwood wrote:

It's fun and funny to call this guy a privateer but how do you consider him that. Factory Honda gives him parts.

A couple of parts, yeah. Very, very little, though.

|

2/21/2011 1:46 PM

There's privateer, and Private Tier. Personally, I think Reed and his team fall toward the latter. smile

|

2/21/2011 1:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2011 1:51 PM

Sherwood wrote:

Nerd wrote:

When was the last time Honda gave a privateer electronics to fix a problem? I understand that journalists love the Rocky type story to write about but this in my opinion is not it.

|

2/21/2011 1:53 PM

Good thing Cox comes here to tell us what really happens since Guy B keeps us so ill informed.

|

2/21/2011 1:53 PM

Sherwood wrote:

Nerd wrote:

Sherwood wrote:

When was the last time Honda gave a privateer electronics to fix a problem? I understand that journalists love the Rocky type story to write about but this in my opinion is not it.

It's not that uncommon, as long as the part would work on the other bike. Not just Honda, but all of the manufacturers will help out privateers who are up front on their brand of bike if they have an issue arise. Ultimately, another Honda at the front is good for Honda.

|

2/21/2011 1:54 PM

Sherwood wrote:

It's obviously not a Factory ride, though. I think the line between factory and privateer has become blurred with the state of the economy. Yamaha is the perfect example.

|

2/21/2011 1:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2011 1:56 PM

newmann wrote:

Good thing Cox comes here to tell us what really happens since Guy B keeps us so ill informed.

Nothing wrong with another opinion from someone informed.

|

2/21/2011 1:59 PM

Cox wrote
"To put it into perspective, it would be like showing up at the Daytona 500 with a Toyota Camry you bought at the local dealership. If you took that car, put sport suspension on it, then dropped off the motor for some tuning help, then showed up at Daytona Motor Speedway, what are the chances that you would be competitive, even if Toyota threw in a couple special parts to help you out?"

Nascar has a production rule? Stock chassis and engine block?

|

2/21/2011 2:00 PM

newmann wrote:

Cox wrote
"To put it into perspective, it would be like showing up at the Daytona 500 with a Toyota Camry you bought at the local dealership. If you took that car, put sport suspension on it, then dropped off the motor for some tuning help, then showed up at Daytona Motor Speedway, what are the chances that you would be competitive, even if Toyota threw in a couple special parts to help you out?"

Yes. That's precisely what I was saying. Nice work pulling the message out of that cryptic paragraph.

|

2/21/2011 2:02 PM

newmann wrote:

spam is only cool, if you're "somebody"....

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

2/21/2011 2:04 PM

newmann wrote:

Cox wrote

Hell no. And you'd even have to remove the FI system from the Camry and replace it with a carb. grin

|

2/21/2011 2:05 PM

I thought Matthes said he had a works tranny. I could be wrong though.

|

2/21/2011 2:06 PM

Caption time!

Photo

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

2/21/2011 2:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2011 2:16 PM

newmann wrote:

Well, I wasn't in San Diego...

I miss one pro SX/MX every year to attend the Indy show. Yeah, people there are slightly freaked when they see me. "Hey, you're not in San Diego?"

"Oh no...was that this weekend?" wink

|

2/21/2011 2:56 PM

newmann wrote:

GuyB wrote:

Well, I wasn't in San Diego...

I miss one pro SX/MX every year to attend the Indy show. Yeah, people there are slightly freaked when they see me. "Hey, you're not in San Diego?"

"Oh no...was that this weekend?" wink

Truth is, GuyB is very, very dumb and highly unreasonable. Huh, GuyB?

|

2/21/2011 3:02 PM

Yeah, I'm all about unreasonable arguments. Know where I can find some? wink

|

2/21/2011 3:11 PM

GuyB wrote:

Yeah, I'm all about unreasonable arguments. Know where I can find some? wink

Follow me around for a while...

|

2/21/2011 3:33 PM

newmann wrote:

Cox wrote

NASCAR hasn't had production rules for their "stock" cars in 25 years, but they do a wonderful job of perpetuating that myth.

|

2/21/2011 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2011 4:34 PM

newmann wrote:

Cox wrote

might be a good storyline for the AP to run in the Sunday paper but seems a bit dramatic to pander off on to motoheads...

i do usually like the articles though, thanks Nerd.

|