What Makes Someone a "Headcase"?

Title says it all, I want to know the logic behind defining someone as a headcase. As it stands right now Tomac seems to get a lot of shit here for apparently having a bad mental game but why does no one else get shit for it? I mean we've now seen Marvin get hurt two series in row with the red plate, yet no one mentions anything about choking or being a headcase. A year ago we saw Roczen be leaps and bounds better than the competition and ended up crashing and losing an entire year because of it, yet most on here said it was a freak accident and no mention of a mental error or choking. And it wasn't even the first time he's done it, either.

For the record Tomac's entire problem could be mental, I'm not even trying to suggest it isn't but I just want to know the logic behind his mistakes seemingly always being mental but that isn't even in the conversation when it comes to other riders. Educate me.
|
Thelen20
2/4/2018 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2018 3:25pm
I would say he's getting a bad rap because of the frequency with which it happens to tomac

Bottom line, his good days are better than most others good days, and his bad days are usually worse than others bad days
jj welks
2/4/2018 3:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2018 3:53pm
Delusion (and a keyboard)
mxb2
2/4/2018 3:34pm
Title says it all, I want to know the logic behind defining someone as a headcase. As it stands right now Tomac seems to get a...
Title says it all, I want to know the logic behind defining someone as a headcase. As it stands right now Tomac seems to get a lot of shit here for apparently having a bad mental game but why does no one else get shit for it? I mean we've now seen Marvin get hurt two series in row with the red plate, yet no one mentions anything about choking or being a headcase. A year ago we saw Roczen be leaps and bounds better than the competition and ended up crashing and losing an entire year because of it, yet most on here said it was a freak accident and no mention of a mental error or choking. And it wasn't even the first time he's done it, either.

For the record Tomac's entire problem could be mental, I'm not even trying to suggest it isn't but I just want to know the logic behind his mistakes seemingly always being mental but that isn't even in the conversation when it comes to other riders. Educate me.
And i think tomac has more wins and titles then kroc and marvin
Racer111
2/4/2018 3:39pm
Title says it all, I want to know the logic behind defining someone as a headcase. As it stands right now Tomac seems to get a...

Quick answer - Racing a Factory YZ450F or KX450 in SX and MX.

The Shop

2/4/2018 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2018 3:53pm

mxb2 wrote:
Lol no, Tomac has two 250 titles and one 450. Roczen has one 250 title, two 450 plus a 250 GP championship. Musquin has two 250 GP championships and one US 250 title.

All of them have had times when there mental game seems weak, I think Tomac is just more proficient at screwing up his opportunities.
mxb2
2/4/2018 3:55pm

mxb2 wrote:
Lol no, Tomac has two 250 titles and one 450. Roczen has one 250 title, two 450 plus a 250 GP championship. Musquin has two 250...
Lol no, Tomac has two 250 titles and one 450. Roczen has one 250 title, two 450 plus a 250 GP championship. Musquin has two 250 GP championships and one US 250 title.

All of them have had times when there mental game seems weak, I think Tomac is just more proficient at screwing up his opportunities.
I was counting usa titles, good points though
BobbyM
2/4/2018 4:21pm

Well if head case experts are what yer searching for you came to the right place. Place is filled with em.
Racer111
2/4/2018 4:36pm
BobbyM wrote:
Well if head case experts are what yer searching for you came to the right place. Place is filled with em.
Right? How you doing Bobby? Of all the people on this board I’ve seen come and go for 10 years, you’re one of the only people I know and remember.

Who was the big James Stewart fan on here. (African American decent) I haven’t seen him on here in a few years.

Also, the guy that owned “Engine Ice” from down in Florida? Is he still around?
jeffro503
2/4/2018 5:44pm
BobbyM wrote:
Racer111 wrote:
Right? How you doing Bobby? Of all the people on this board I’ve seen come and go for 10 years, you’re one of the only people...
Right? How you doing Bobby? Of all the people on this board I’ve seen come and go for 10 years, you’re one of the only people I know and remember.

Who was the big James Stewart fan on here. (African American decent) I haven’t seen him on here in a few years.

You're thinking of big Lenny. And owner of engine ice is Dave. Both very good dudes!
hamncheeze
2/4/2018 6:03pm
Thelen20 wrote:
I would say he's getting a bad rap because of the frequency with which it happens to tomac Bottom line, his good days are better than...
I would say he's getting a bad rap because of the frequency with which it happens to tomac

Bottom line, his good days are better than most others good days, and his bad days are usually worse than others bad days
That is exactly it with Eli. On his good days you have a Hangtown 2015, a SLC 2017 or the last half of the 2013 outdoor series. On his bad days you get A1 2014, 2015, 2017, SLC 2013, NJ 2017 etc etc. I think this is what makes me a fan of him, it's like being with a crazy emotional woman. The highs are going to be really high, and the lows are going to be really low.
BobbyM
2/4/2018 9:09pm
BobbyM wrote:
Racer111 wrote:
Right? How you doing Bobby? Of all the people on this board I’ve seen come and go for 10 years, you’re one of the only people...

Doing OK my friend. Love vital but a mere shell of its former Motodrive moniker.
2/4/2018 10:00pm
i’m sure it’s team kawasaki. villopoto retired early and he even said looking back he wished he would have moved around on teams. i think once with yamaha he realized other teams vibes were much different. if it was so much stress to get him to retire early maybe they’re doing the same thing to tomac and he can’t take it. too much pressure to succeed. especially coming in after villopoto.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
2/4/2018 10:58pm

To me a headcase is someone who is too easily affected by conditions changing. like they can only do well if XYZ happens. the track is too rutted, too dry, suspension is too off, i have hangnail, my butt itches.

someone also who keeps searching for that "something" for his bike or setup or whatever.

Dungey was a guy who was a headcase, he was always looking for something, something was always off.

Kdub was classic case of just being in his own way mentally.

As far as tomac is for a headcase? idk, he seemed to excel when the table was stacked against him but once he got the lead he messed up. he was cool an collected and then he fell apart when it counted the most i think.
joshflo
2/5/2018 12:59am
i’m sure it’s team kawasaki. villopoto retired early and he even said looking back he wished he would have moved around on teams. i think once...
i’m sure it’s team kawasaki. villopoto retired early and he even said looking back he wished he would have moved around on teams. i think once with yamaha he realized other teams vibes were much different. if it was so much stress to get him to retire early maybe they’re doing the same thing to tomac and he can’t take it. too much pressure to succeed. especially coming in after villopoto.
It does seem like the guys riding kawi’s crash the most (savatgy, AC, forkner, tomac) grant has had a couple as well. Maybe it’s the bikes?
2/5/2018 1:25am
Maybe becase Tomac seems to struggle to get going after a small crash whereas others get more fired up.
2/5/2018 1:32am
Holtslayer wrote:
Maybe becase Tomac seems to struggle to get going after a small crash whereas others get more fired up.
This and the reply about how it happens quite a bit more often to him compared to others are some actually good points that I somehow overlooked.
PJRAUS
2/5/2018 1:40am
Well, I've got nothing to say about Tomac but 28 years of shearing sheep for a living has certainly done it for me!
kb228
2/5/2018 4:57am
I think tomac gets so much shit because its “cool” to hate on tomac. Every single rider makes mistakes just like tomac does. Everyone wants tomac to go from last to leading by 20 seconds and when he doesnt they throw a fit. Even if theyre fans or not.

Post a reply to: What Makes Someone a "Headcase"?

The Latest