What Makes Someone a "Headcase"?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/4/2018 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2018 3:22 PM

Title says it all, I want to know the logic behind defining someone as a headcase. As it stands right now Tomac seems to get a lot of shit here for apparently having a bad mental game but why does no one else get shit for it? I mean we've now seen Marvin get hurt two series in row with the red plate, yet no one mentions anything about choking or being a headcase. A year ago we saw Roczen be leaps and bounds better than the competition and ended up crashing and losing an entire year because of it, yet most on here said it was a freak accident and no mention of a mental error or choking. And it wasn't even the first time he's done it, either.

For the record Tomac's entire problem could be mental, I'm not even trying to suggest it isn't but I just want to know the logic behind his mistakes seemingly always being mental but that isn't even in the conversation when it comes to other riders. Educate me.

|

2/4/2018 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2018 3:25 PM

I would say he's getting a bad rap because of the frequency with which it happens to tomac

Bottom line, his good days are better than most others good days, and his bad days are usually worse than others bad days

|

2015 KTM 250sx, WP 48mm CV Forks, WP Trax Shock, Bills Pipe
2013 Chevy 2500 Duramax, 2014 Forest River XLR Nitro 28TQD bumper pull toy hauler

Instagram: @impalenthelen https://www.instagram.com/impalenthelen/
Youtube: Mitchell Thelen

2/4/2018 3:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2018 3:53 PM

Delusion (and a keyboard)

|

2/4/2018 3:34 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

Title says it all, I want to know the logic behind defining someone as a headcase. As it stands right now Tomac seems to get a lot of shit here for apparently having a bad mental game but why does no one else get shit for it? I mean we've now seen Marvin get hurt two series in row with the red plate, yet no one mentions anything about choking or being a headcase. A year ago we saw Roczen be leaps and bounds better than the competition and ended up crashing and losing an entire year because of it, yet most on here said it was a freak accident and no mention of a mental error or choking. And it wasn't even the first time he's done it, either.

For the record Tomac's entire problem could be mental, I'm not even trying to suggest it isn't but I just want to know the logic behind his mistakes seemingly always being mental but that isn't even in the conversation when it comes to other riders. Educate me.

And i think tomac has more wins and titles then kroc and marvin

|

2/4/2018 3:39 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

Quick answer - Racing a Factory YZ450F or KX450 in SX and MX.

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

2/4/2018 3:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2018 3:53 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

Lol no, Tomac has two 250 titles and one 450. Roczen has one 250 title, two 450 plus a 250 GP championship. Musquin has two 250 GP championships and one US 250 title.

All of them have had times when there mental game seems weak, I think Tomac is just more proficient at screwing up his opportunities.

|

2/4/2018 3:55 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

woody woodpecker wrote:

Lol no, Tomac has two 250 titles and one 450. Roczen has one 250 title, two 450 plus a 250 GP championship. Musquin has two 250 GP championships and one US 250 title.

All of them have had times when there mental game seems weak, I think Tomac is just more proficient at screwing up his opportunities.

I was counting usa titles, good points though

|

2/4/2018 4:21 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

Well if head case experts are what yer searching for you came to the right place. Place is filled with em.

|

2/4/2018 4:36 PM

BobbyM wrote:

Well if head case experts are what yer searching for you came to the right place. Place is filled with em.

Right? How you doing Bobby? Of all the people on this board I’ve seen come and go for 10 years, you’re one of the only people I know and remember.

Who was the big James Stewart fan on here. (African American decent) I haven’t seen him on here in a few years.

Also, the guy that owned “Engine Ice” from down in Florida? Is he still around?

|

“Let the Good Times Roll”

2/4/2018 5:44 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

BobbyM wrote:

Racer111 wrote:

Right? How you doing Bobby? Of all the people on this board I’ve seen come and go for 10 years, you’re one of the only people I know and remember.

Who was the big James Stewart fan on here. (African American decent) I haven’t seen him on here in a few years.

You're thinking of big Lenny. And owner of engine ice is Dave. Both very good dudes!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

2/4/2018 6:03 PM

Thelen20 wrote:

I would say he's getting a bad rap because of the frequency with which it happens to tomac

Bottom line, his good days are better than most others good days, and his bad days are usually worse than others bad days

That is exactly it with Eli. On his good days you have a Hangtown 2015, a SLC 2017 or the last half of the 2013 outdoor series. On his bad days you get A1 2014, 2015, 2017, SLC 2013, NJ 2017 etc etc. I think this is what makes me a fan of him, it's like being with a crazy emotional woman. The highs are going to be really high, and the lows are going to be really low.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

2/4/2018 9:09 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

BobbyM wrote:

Racer111 wrote:

Doing OK my friend. Love vital but a mere shell of its former Motodrive moniker.

|

2/4/2018 10:00 PM

i’m sure it’s team kawasaki. villopoto retired early and he even said looking back he wished he would have moved around on teams. i think once with yamaha he realized other teams vibes were much different. if it was so much stress to get him to retire early maybe they’re doing the same thing to tomac and he can’t take it. too much pressure to succeed. especially coming in after villopoto.

|

2/4/2018 10:58 PM

jorgechavez wrote:

To me a headcase is someone who is too easily affected by conditions changing. like they can only do well if XYZ happens. the track is too rutted, too dry, suspension is too off, i have hangnail, my butt itches.

someone also who keeps searching for that "something" for his bike or setup or whatever.

Dungey was a guy who was a headcase, he was always looking for something, something was always off.

Kdub was classic case of just being in his own way mentally.

As far as tomac is for a headcase? idk, he seemed to excel when the table was stacked against him but once he got the lead he messed up. he was cool an collected and then he fell apart when it counted the most i think.

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

2/5/2018 12:59 AM

holtergeist797 wrote:

i’m sure it’s team kawasaki. villopoto retired early and he even said looking back he wished he would have moved around on teams. i think once with yamaha he realized other teams vibes were much different. if it was so much stress to get him to retire early maybe they’re doing the same thing to tomac and he can’t take it. too much pressure to succeed. especially coming in after villopoto.

It does seem like the guys riding kawi’s crash the most (savatgy, AC, forkner, tomac) grant has had a couple as well. Maybe it’s the bikes?

|

2/5/2018 1:25 AM

Maybe becase Tomac seems to struggle to get going after a small crash whereas others get more fired up.

|

2/5/2018 1:32 AM

Holtslayer wrote:

Maybe becase Tomac seems to struggle to get going after a small crash whereas others get more fired up.

This and the reply about how it happens quite a bit more often to him compared to others are some actually good points that I somehow overlooked.

|

2/5/2018 1:40 AM

Well, I've got nothing to say about Tomac but 28 years of shearing sheep for a living has certainly done it for me!

|

2020 YZ450F
2006 YZ125
2013 YZ 250F special edition
2017 YZ 250
2015 YZ 250f soecial edition
2019 KTM 85 big wheel
1979 YZ 250

2/5/2018 4:57 AM

I think tomac gets so much shit because its “cool” to hate on tomac. Every single rider makes mistakes just like tomac does. Everyone wants tomac to go from last to leading by 20 seconds and when he doesnt they throw a fit. Even if theyre fans or not.

|