What I Want From MX/SX Media

Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/28/2018 1:28pm
ledger wrote:
More tracks like Daytona SX.
Now your Talking , that is a great track im glued to the TV every year and i hope to go In person to that race eventually
And just enjoy the whole weeks festivities.
I Like that its outdoors but that you can still see the whole track ,i would like to have more like it even if they were a part of the nationals
gt80rider
11/28/2018 1:45pm
IMO, moto is getting its butt kicked because "nobody gets out of their house anymore". No amount of media is going to fix that. IMO it will take a change in the average American to fix moto, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

However, moto media can always improve. The problem is, advertisers aren't paying diddly to websites. Back in the day, magazine ads were thousands per page. Now days, advertisers are unwilling to pay nearly as much for an ad on a website. Who cares? You, that's who, because when a media company isn't making big money, they simply don't have the resources to go above and beyond to put out more/better content.

From the TV media side of things, it is wayyyyyyyy too hard to watch SX or MX on TV. Needs to be consistent- aired at roughly the same time each week on the SAME CHANNEL. Fix that, and then they could really start making traction with ratings. Otherwise, well, we can easily see how well the old TV package worked.

Just my .000000000000002 cents.....

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/28/2018 1:58pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Someone's been lurking for a long time. Nice original screename OP.
Nothing kNew under the sun.

What I want from MX fans is a little respect. I might take stuff like this more seriously if he didn't come in with a weak low blow (plumpmx) from the start.
Frank
11/28/2018 3:55pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 4:21pm
I don't really need MX/SX media coverage outside of the Pulpmx Show. It's informative, entertaining, amusing and in- depth. Steve is a animal putting out live 4hr shows every week of the year.

As far as the live tv/stream coverage they need to send every camera person to a 6 week school taught by Troy Adamitis on how to correctly film the sports of motocross and supercross. It's not from a scissor lift or a sky cam folks. That is what makes the sport look stupid easy and boring.

Announcing meh. I wish they knocked it down to 20% of the time and broadcast the sound of the racing action the other 80%. As it is you can't tell they are not on electric bikes already.

Supercross is purely a spectacle and no longer a motorsport. It comes across as shallow, 1 dimensional and fake. The lasers, fireworks, smoke, monster chics, screaming announcer, etc. What the hell does any of that have to do with what these gladiators are risking their lives for every weekend? Why can't they put the focus on the human aspect of what these guys are going through.

And please for the love of all things good stop teaching how the sport works on every broadcast. Christ people are not that dumb. We don't need to be taught what a baseball is prior to watching a baseball game.

The Shop

11/28/2018 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 4:33pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Nothing kNew under the sun. What I want from MX fans is a little respect. I might take stuff like this more seriously if he didn't...

What I want from MX fans is a little respect. I might take stuff like this more seriously if he didn't come in with a weak low blow (plumpmx) from the start.
GuyB I specifically stated in many posts on this very thread that I have nothing against the media companies, and that it’s media I would like to see more of. I even posted along the lines of “take this as I love the content, but this is what I want more of”. I listen to PulpMX live every time it’s out and it’s my favorite podcast. I literally said I would like to add to that conversation, have nothing against Vital, and like Anton on the PulpMX Show use critical thinking and maybe some ideas that are outside the box

What exactly did you take offense to and what was the low blow?
Bret
11/28/2018 4:19pm
Who is going to pay for all of these great ideas? Our beloved sport just doesn't command the same audience as other sports.
Premix
11/28/2018 5:50pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 5:51pm
Might as well go ahead and leak the December cover of Transworld.

Anton_514
11/28/2018 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 8:06pm
Premix wrote:
Might as well go ahead and leak the December cover of Transworld. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/28/306154/s1200_A679F879_CBC3_4441_88BC_D5DD1E3AA248.jpg[/img]

EDIT: not worth going into the deep-end on this.
Premix
11/28/2018 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 9:22pm
Anton_514 wrote:

???
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/28/2018 6:06pm
Frank wrote:
I don't really need MX/SX media coverage outside of the Pulpmx Show. It's informative, entertaining, amusing and in- depth. Steve is a animal putting out live...
I don't really need MX/SX media coverage outside of the Pulpmx Show. It's informative, entertaining, amusing and in- depth. Steve is a animal putting out live 4hr shows every week of the year.

As far as the live tv/stream coverage they need to send every camera person to a 6 week school taught by Troy Adamitis on how to correctly film the sports of motocross and supercross. It's not from a scissor lift or a sky cam folks. That is what makes the sport look stupid easy and boring.

Announcing meh. I wish they knocked it down to 20% of the time and broadcast the sound of the racing action the other 80%. As it is you can't tell they are not on electric bikes already.

Supercross is purely a spectacle and no longer a motorsport. It comes across as shallow, 1 dimensional and fake. The lasers, fireworks, smoke, monster chics, screaming announcer, etc. What the hell does any of that have to do with what these gladiators are risking their lives for every weekend? Why can't they put the focus on the human aspect of what these guys are going through.

And please for the love of all things good stop teaching how the sport works on every broadcast. Christ people are not that dumb. We don't need to be taught what a baseball is prior to watching a baseball game.
To shoot like Troy and cover the full race you’d need around 5 times as many camera and operators as there is now.
11/28/2018 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 6:38pm
Premix wrote:
Might as well go ahead and leak the December cover of Transworld. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/28/306154/s1200_A679F879_CBC3_4441_88BC_D5DD1E3AA248.jpg[/img]

Anton_514 wrote:
That irrelevant post aside... I honestly thought you were on to something on PulpMX and I believe you are thinking outside the box and I was really into what you were projecting. People who have a different view than “the norm” contribute greatly to their community and I thought it was great that you support new and open ideas
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/28/2018 8:27pm
Premix wrote:

Seriously? Geezus I’m still amazed what people are willing to hit submit on.
billyp330
11/29/2018 6:27am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Nothing kNew under the sun. What I want from MX fans is a little respect. I might take stuff like this more seriously if he didn't...

GuyB I specifically stated in many posts on this very thread that I have nothing against the media companies, and that it’s media I would like...
GuyB I specifically stated in many posts on this very thread that I have nothing against the media companies, and that it’s media I would like to see more of. I even posted along the lines of “take this as I love the content, but this is what I want more of”. I listen to PulpMX live every time it’s out and it’s my favorite podcast. I literally said I would like to add to that conversation, have nothing against Vital, and like Anton on the PulpMX Show use critical thinking and maybe some ideas that are outside the box

I am also confused on what Guy B was offended by....
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/29/2018 6:39am
GuyB wrote:

GuyB I specifically stated in many posts on this very thread that I have nothing against the media companies, and that it’s media I would like...

billyp330 wrote:
His first sentence called said Plump MX instead of Pulp MX. Carmichael and a few others that don't care for Steve call him that, it's kind of a dig at him and his weight.
billyp330
11/29/2018 6:54am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 7:05am

billyp330 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
His first sentence called said Plump MX instead of Pulp MX. Carmichael and a few others that don't care for Steve call him that, it's kind...
His first sentence called said Plump MX instead of Pulp MX. Carmichael and a few others that don't care for Steve call him that, it's kind of a dig at him and his weight.
O I didnt notice that. Seems odd that the OP said that, yet also says he is a big fan of Pulp so I'm assuming it was just a funny jab not a weak low blow, but idk. Either way thanks for pointing that out.

I find it comical that RC would pick on Steve for his weight. RC isn't exactly an elite athlete anymore... Still hauls though.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that I cringed a bit during that whole discussion on Pulp when Steve started ranting about the lack of education within the media. Does Steve have a formal education in journalism? Maybe I am wrong, but I don't believe he does. I don't believe that a formal education necessarily makes one better at any given job, however it seems a bit hypocritical of him if he truly lacks a journalistic degree. Not to mention his lack of comprehension of your and Anton's discussion. I do enjoy his articles and especially his show. He puts out great content.
11/29/2018 7:00am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 7:04am
As a co-founder of vurbmoto, figured I'd offer some insight along the lines of ML's posts. Bottom line is badass content takes a lot of time, money, and effort, whether it's video, photo, or editorial. When you invest all three of those factors and receive views well under expectation, it slowly but surely kills the motivation to go above and beyond. Spending a grip of money for 2 people to spend 3 days in the blazing hot sun somewhere, plus say 3-5 days of editing usually equated to less or equal views of a GoPro clip that would take me 20 minutes from card dump to youtube. I still loved creating insanely badass stuff, but it just became much more rare for me to find the desire to really go out and push the limits, especially knowing the payoff would be nil.

My suggestion was always support those who support the sport - and namely that's the media companies. And you/us the consumer are the ones that need to support them. We're a small niche. Vital, Racer X, TWMX, etc aren't going to sell 100K shirts to a broad audience, but they might can sell 10K to our community, which would further help fund the things we all want to see.

I was never one to set up a gofundme or ask for handouts so we could raise money for a project; I simply hoped doing them would garner the level of support I feel we deserved. I LOVED shooting movies, or going somewhere badass to shoot a platinum, but the level of support was never there to justify continuing to doing these things. I would spend insane amounts of time and money producing certain projects (iTunes releases, DVDs, etc) and would be lucky to break even, when I obviously hoped to make a grip of money, from our community supporting us, that we could reinvest. When movies didn't work, we decided to start promoting the hell out of merchandise, and while we were able to grow it consistently, that too just couldn't get us where we needed. I always remember thinking, if only 10-20% of our audience bought one t-shirt (or a DVD, or META, or Hat) per year, we would've made enough money to do way more badass stuff and love doing it... because we actually would've been getting paid to do it. But at some point, we all realized we weren't 18 year old kids that can live off 200$ a month anymore.... everyone wants to grow up and live a real life with a real income.

Bottom line, I think a vast majority take for granted what's even produced now, which is a fraction of the content that was being put out collectively from say 2010-2014. If media creation became a viable business for the small guy, then we'd see all these outlets doing much more, but I for one don't see that happening. However, I will gladly continue to pay for my subscriptions and t-shirts and products at full price from everyone that keeps living the dream. Shred on my friends!
Premix
11/29/2018 7:01am
Premix wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Seriously? Geezus I’m still amazed what people are willing to hit submit on.
What do you mean? It’s a picture of Anton and his cat with Kenny sipping some fine red vino. I’m looking forward to the in depth interview about KR94 new deal. Heard the moisturizer doubles as tire mounting lube?
peltier626
11/29/2018 7:07am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 7:09am
I should not be surprised at what content gets people excited. Maybe my perspective on this hobby/sport is skewed. Seems logic has no place here.
11/29/2018 7:08am
Premix wrote:
What do you mean? It’s a picture of Anton and his cat with Kenny sipping some fine red vino. I’m looking forward to the in depth...
What do you mean? It’s a picture of Anton and his cat with Kenny sipping some fine red vino. I’m looking forward to the in depth interview about KR94 new deal. Heard the moisturizer doubles as tire mounting lube?
Give it a rest. People are trying to have legitimate conversations on bettering our sport and you're posting childish shit like this
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/29/2018 7:13am
peltier626 wrote:
I should not be surprised at what content gets people excited. Maybe my perspective on this hobby/sport is skewed. Seems logic has no place here.
I think a lot of content gets people excited, it just shows what reaches a wider audience or catches more eyes. I always feel bad, cause I care about amateurs and privateers...and I know the people asking for that content think it's the bees-knees. But when you see the difference in numbers between a short Roczen interview or a GoPro lap with Cole Seely, versus an extensive week of covering an amateur national or a big feature that took multiple days with a privateer, it's a giant difference in views.

As marketing budgets shrink for gear/bike/aftermarket companies, there's less money in ads for media companies. Less advertisers and dropping ad rates to grab what's left means there's less budget for the content staffs of these media outlets to use on extensive projects.
Premix
11/29/2018 7:14am
Give it a rest. People are trying to have legitimate conversations on bettering our sport and you're posting childish shit like this
Just trying to lighten the mood. Remember when Vital used to be a place to joke around and talk about the hobby we all enjoy, not take everything so damn seriously? Ezza’s Photoshop threads were some of the best.
rangot
11/29/2018 7:23am
Premix wrote:

At least the fondue looks on point, but you may want white wine to go with it.
11/29/2018 7:28am
Premix wrote:
Just trying to lighten the mood. Remember when Vital used to be a place to joke around and talk about the hobby we all enjoy, not...
Just trying to lighten the mood. Remember when Vital used to be a place to joke around and talk about the hobby we all enjoy, not take everything so damn seriously? Ezza’s Photoshop threads were some of the best.
Fair enough. I like how on Vital MTB if there's forum topic that is turning into a good conversation, the admins will post a link on the home page. I wish that would happen with threads like this, but I also fear what a mockery it could become. There's a plethora of threads around where jokes are more fitting.

However, I am getting a chuckle thinking about the rando homoerotic photos that are going to start popping up on adds in your browser now that you searched that picture Laughing
peltier626
11/29/2018 7:30am
Are we too focused in advertisement dollars and $$$. Wasn't this sport born through the frugal man. Are we outgrowing our own clientele?
Premix
11/29/2018 7:47am
Fair enough. I like how on Vital MTB if there's forum topic that is turning into a good conversation, the admins will post a link on...
Fair enough. I like how on Vital MTB if there's forum topic that is turning into a good conversation, the admins will post a link on the home page. I wish that would happen with threads like this, but I also fear what a mockery it could become. There's a plethora of threads around where jokes are more fitting.

However, I am getting a chuckle thinking about the rando homoerotic photos that are going to start popping up on adds in your browser now that you searched that picture Laughing
Face in Hole App, we aren’t living in 1999 using search engines, c’mon bro. I did however have to google what Clinique was, now I’m getting ads for skinny jeans, priuses, and Elton John concerts.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
11/29/2018 8:06am
Premix wrote:
What do you mean? It’s a picture of Anton and his cat with Kenny sipping some fine red vino. I’m looking forward to the in depth...
It Seriously Reminds me of the Movie Idiocracy,
"There he goes with that smart talk again"
RDX
11/29/2018 9:32am
As a co-founder of vurbmoto, figured I'd offer some insight along the lines of ML's posts. Bottom line is badass content takes a lot of time...
As a co-founder of vurbmoto, figured I'd offer some insight along the lines of ML's posts. Bottom line is badass content takes a lot of time, money, and effort, whether it's video, photo, or editorial. When you invest all three of those factors and receive views well under expectation, it slowly but surely kills the motivation to go above and beyond. Spending a grip of money for 2 people to spend 3 days in the blazing hot sun somewhere, plus say 3-5 days of editing usually equated to less or equal views of a GoPro clip that would take me 20 minutes from card dump to youtube. I still loved creating insanely badass stuff, but it just became much more rare for me to find the desire to really go out and push the limits, especially knowing the payoff would be nil.

My suggestion was always support those who support the sport - and namely that's the media companies. And you/us the consumer are the ones that need to support them. We're a small niche. Vital, Racer X, TWMX, etc aren't going to sell 100K shirts to a broad audience, but they might can sell 10K to our community, which would further help fund the things we all want to see.

I was never one to set up a gofundme or ask for handouts so we could raise money for a project; I simply hoped doing them would garner the level of support I feel we deserved. I LOVED shooting movies, or going somewhere badass to shoot a platinum, but the level of support was never there to justify continuing to doing these things. I would spend insane amounts of time and money producing certain projects (iTunes releases, DVDs, etc) and would be lucky to break even, when I obviously hoped to make a grip of money, from our community supporting us, that we could reinvest. When movies didn't work, we decided to start promoting the hell out of merchandise, and while we were able to grow it consistently, that too just couldn't get us where we needed. I always remember thinking, if only 10-20% of our audience bought one t-shirt (or a DVD, or META, or Hat) per year, we would've made enough money to do way more badass stuff and love doing it... because we actually would've been getting paid to do it. But at some point, we all realized we weren't 18 year old kids that can live off 200$ a month anymore.... everyone wants to grow up and live a real life with a real income.

Bottom line, I think a vast majority take for granted what's even produced now, which is a fraction of the content that was being put out collectively from say 2010-2014. If media creation became a viable business for the small guy, then we'd see all these outlets doing much more, but I for one don't see that happening. However, I will gladly continue to pay for my subscriptions and t-shirts and products at full price from everyone that keeps living the dream. Shred on my friends!
Thanks for sharing your experience. Vurbmoto is missed and it doesnt say anything good about the health of our sport that such a high quality level site has to die because of a financial issue.
11/29/2018 9:54am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2018 10:11am
RDX wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Vurbmoto is missed and it doesnt say anything good about the health of our sport that such a high quality level...
Thanks for sharing your experience. Vurbmoto is missed and it doesnt say anything good about the health of our sport that such a high quality level site has to die because of a financial issue.
Well to say we closed our doors for financial reasons would be very misleading. Our issues were rooted in much different areas internally. Could money have prolonged the shutdown? Likely, but closing our doors was inevitable. We all decided to move on and chase new dreams, and many of us still chase those dreams in this same genre. Along with a handful of old vurb contributors, I personally still do a ton of video production work for many brands in and out of moto. I still work with Brent Stallo ( Racer X Chase's older brother) on varying projects. And Andrew Campo still does META. David Bulmer still does plenty of work around the world for Vital, Honda, Suzuki, and just about everyone under the sun that want quality content from the insane amount of races he attends every year.

Vurb was an badass 10 year dream that we all accomplished, and it was amazing, but I can admit that I'm extremely happy that it doesn't consume my life anymore. But like I said before, I still love the moto community and I support those who support it with everything I can.
keinz
11/29/2018 10:17am
Where is Stew?
Rooster
11/29/2018 1:02pm
Remember those shots taken from the back seat of a quad or side by side along one of Daytona's straight aways? Have you seen any of...
Remember those shots taken from the back seat of a quad or side by side along one of Daytona's straight aways?

Have you seen any of the amazing drone footage coming out lately?

Obviously its too dangerous to have a drone low enough to provide footage that would be compelling but if they would take that spider-cam thing and lower it way way lower along a rhythm section where its safely off to the side and high enough not to be a concern they should be able to provide some great footage along side 2 straights at each track and not just Daytona with its buttery smooth asphalt next to the track to drive a camera man next to.
That would be fairly easy to do, but it would also create a hazard for the riders as the tracks would not be nice to run into in the case of an off track excursion.

I have always loved that footage. Using it for rhythm sections would be awesome. Especially with slo-mo and some proper commentary that highlighted what the rider was doing. Rear brake tap, clutch feathering, etc. Having access to the bikes telemetry (gear selection, RPMs, etc) would really make this a great feature.

But instead we get some eye candy in a monster suit talking about tear-offs for the 495th time and asking viewers to tweet pics of themselves watching at home.

Another great idea would be to include more of the rider's status during the race. Heart rate monitors and such would give some insight to casual viewers about what it takes to compete at that level. It could also show us who came to the races prepared, who's suffering from an illness, etc.

There really is a disconnect between the viewer and the rider. In auto racing most people watching can relate in some way to what the driver must be doing. Very few people this sport is trying to market to have any idea what it takes to ride these tracks at the speeds the pros are putting down. Anything to bridge this gap can only help the sport grow in viewership.

Post a reply to: What I Want From MX/SX Media

The Latest