What I Want From MX/SX Media

Related:
Create New Tag

11/28/2018 6:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 6:34 AM

Last week on PlumpMX Steve and ML discussed what is possibly working and not working with the media in MX/SX. Speculations as to what the "average joe" wants to watch and is being fed was interesting. I have quite a few opinions on how the live broadcasts can change, but here is the media content I find interesting outside of the live broadcast.

I want to see:

More rider "behind the scenes" content
I believe that helped Adam Cianciarulo out and I enjoy seeing what training he is doing and with whom, or what he is doing on his off days. Seeing his VLog and working out with Roczen is really interesting. Also seeing him around Villipoto and some fun times during training is great content.

Showcase rider "behind the scenes" for amateurs as well
What is better than seeing the local kid down the road that works construction full time while practicing and trying to make a main event - actually make a main event? I don't believe anything is better than an 'Underdog' and we have tons of them in this sport. Make us fans of the guys that aren't making it every-night. That is the biggest drama of the sport right now and there is little to no coverage of it. I realize sometimes injuries and poor life choices make these guys "1 and done" but we need to show the average Joe that average Joe is trying to go pro (haha). I am especially interested in their training and gear. How many bike issues are they going through? What type of training do they do? How often do they ride? Etc..

Keep providing "hard to find" content
I'm not engrossed in Instagram, YouTube, or social media. However, I really like to see homemade videos of gnarly crashes or gnarly successes. Interesting or unique and rare bikes are cool too. This site does a great job of doing so with the "Social Scoop" and I think this could be expanded further. However finding the content can be a full time job in itself.

Rider Updates or "Here is what they are up to now".
I want to see what Windham is up to. Not his entire life story, just a quick interview. I know there are places out there to get this information, but a quick 'here's what he's up to now" would be cool. Like you do with Social Scoop post a pic of their lastest endevour and fill us in. This doesn't even have to be the most famous or popular either.

Showcase Small-Town Tracks
This is probably the hardest part, but showcasing some locally owned, interesting tracks would be cool. You could even showcase someones back-yard track and explain the process of creating it and unique features. We all look at properties and think "man, that field would be great for moto" but actually showing someone who saw that vision and turned it into reality would be interesting to me. Half the tracks in our area's are private or clubs, so exposing some of the cooler places to ride that people may not know of would be sweet.

|

11/28/2018 6:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2018 8:07 AM

I want more info about the actual bikes. The info about the bikes, parts, setups in MX and SX is a complete joke compared to every single other motorsport out there (you can even buy books about the bikes and the technology in MotoGP).

Those who follow MotoGP or F1 knows what i talk about. In MotoGP the riders and teams openly talk about their problems and what they need to work on and what their solutions are for the problems.

From the outside it makes absolutely no sense why everything in this sport has to be so "hush-hush" considering that the rider is 80% of the success.

Edit: I wanted to add one more thing. This is not a dig at the MX/SX media. This is not their fault, this is on the riders and teams.

|

11/28/2018 6:47 AM

More content would be sweet. At the same time tho i have somewhat of an idea of what it takes to create content and its not easy and its super time consuming. All of it is free and really good as is. Its hard to complain or ask for more.

|

11/28/2018 6:53 AM

Ralph has said several times that were needed live helmet cam footage during races, 100% agree

|

11/28/2018 6:59 AM

I think they think we want more side by side action.

|

11/28/2018 7:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 7:24 AM

Good first post Hjack. Sorry about all the random traffic crashing your website.

|

11/28/2018 7:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 7:18 AM

Michael Scott wrote:

Ralph has said several times that were needed live helmet cam footage during races, 100% agree

I Dis agree i feel like this would take away from the show
Unless they did it picture in picture in a corner of the TV. Because other wise they would spend half the time like that and you would miss a lot of the race ,
What i think would be cool with that , and just with all cameras would be and advanced hi-tech website where you could pick and choose which cameras you want to watch
And jump from camera to camera on your own computer and you choose which one to watch and when
That would be sweet.

|

11/28/2018 7:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 7:09 AM

Michael Scott wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

Unless they did it picture in picture in a corner of the TV. ...more

Now THAT is an original idea. Maybe have an App that not only shows the lap times/pole position but you can also go to that riders live FPV Stream (in the same app). I would pay for that. Watching it live on TV and looking down and seeing a guys GoPro live in my hand would be perfect.

I agree they need to incorporate live GoPro footage into the broadcast. They could even add more of this content by getting rid of the stupid MX vs ATV lap preview that shows you absolutely nothing but how a video game looks.

|

11/28/2018 7:09 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I want more info about the actual bikes. The info about the bikes, parts, setups in MX and SX is a complete joke compared to ...more

I make this point to some teams when they get quiet about new parts or changes I spot. Some teams are super cool about it and others get locked lipped. Realistically, anything chassis related is only info they can use and they're not racing another rider on that brand, or that has all the other parts in combinations they used to come to that result.

|

11/28/2018 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 7:12 AM

More upclose about the bikes and the trick parts and set up. No more "clutch is on the left" or "tear offs go on the goggles"

Also does any other sport explain how the sport works during every single game or race?

|

11/28/2018 7:12 AM

kb228 wrote:

More content would be sweet. At the same time tho i have somewhat of an idea of what it takes to create content and its not ...more

At least in my case, my first two years at Vital included zero days off, I worked every day and every weekend to keep up with what we're doing. A big thing we face with content is how much time goes into the content creation versus how many views we can get out of it. That's the main problem with doing a huge piece on say a privateer and their life and making the races. You could easily burn three or four days doing the story right for just one feature...a feature that would get just alright views.

|

11/28/2018 7:16 AM

Michael Scott wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

MotoGP has this. You can watch the whole race from one riders bike, or just the helicopter.

|

11/28/2018 7:18 AM

kb228 wrote:

More content would be sweet. At the same time tho i have somewhat of an idea of what it takes to create content and its not ...more

ML512 wrote:

At least in my case, my first two years at Vital included zero days off, I worked every day and every weekend to keep up with ...more

I agree completely and I really like the content you produce. I should have started the thread with "I love what I get, but if I could get more - I would get more of xxxx".

|

11/28/2018 7:22 AM

HJacksPlumber wrote:

Last week on PlumpMX Steve and ML discussed what is possibly working and not working with the media in MX/SX. Speculations as ...more

More rider "behind the scenes" content: Honestly, rider's doing this themselves at Christian Craig and Adam Cianciarulo have done is the best way to do this. Riders don't want a media guy following them around for two to three days to create these and they're honestly be "themselves" the most around a training partner, rather than some random dude with a camera.

Showcase rider "behind the scenes" for amateurs as well: Ultimately the amount of time that would go into creating a full-feature such as your describing would eat up a massive amount of time for a content that would just pull in alright views.

Keep providing "hard to find" content: You nailed it, going much deeper can become a full-time gig for one feature. I'll continue to try to expand and make something like Social Scoop better though. It's actually our highest viewed weekly feature, out performing Pit Bits by quite a bit these days.

Rider Updates or "Here is what they are up to now": Racer X currently does these.

Showcase Small-Town Tracks: Vurb Moto used to do this for MotoSport.com I believe. Travel and video production costs makes this a hard sell, we used to repost that feature and the views were pretty low.

Online content versus print makes big features interesting to accomplish. In print a editor might have six or eight features to work on all month but with online...you need to post daily, making large projects harder to justify. Honestly, large projects are best accomplished by someone off-staff that has heavy interest in that subject...and the time to justify against it.

|

11/28/2018 7:24 AM

kb228 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

At least in my case, my first two years at Vital included zero days off, I worked every day and every weekend to keep up with ...more

HJacksPlumber wrote:

I agree completely and I really like the content you produce. I should have started the thread with "I love what I get, but if ...more

I'd love to see someone take on larger projects like this, Matthes does stuff like that for Racer X and it's enjoyable to read or listen to.

|

11/28/2018 7:41 AM

When someone straight up lies ,the media should call them out on it . Weather it be a rider or manager ,trainer .etc. Ie. Loads of riders have straight up lied it happens every year. Aldon imo has lied in a few interview s. So why not next interview just call them out. Even stupid thing s like a1 press day and a rider say s he has never been so ready and the bike is great la la la . Then goes out and does terrible . Interview after the race is like . "I broke my arm in Nov and have by got to ride at all before a1 " stuff like that is ridiculous.

|

11/28/2018 7:44 AM

HJacksPlumber wrote:

Last week on PlumpMX Steve and ML discussed what is possibly working and not working with the media in MX/SX. Speculations as ...more

ML512 wrote:

More rider "behind the scenes" content: Honestly, rider's doing this themselves at Christian Craig and Adam Cianciarulo have ...more

Wow, didn't think I would get a full answer on all topics, thank you! I respect that, and I know that post was heavily opinionated on what I personally want to see. I think a lot of my ideas would most likely have to stem from the riders or larger TV outlets to be possible money-wise. And also for what you said - those ideas may have already been tried and didn't get the ROI to make it a feature. I just hope this jump starts some original ideas from someone smarter than I lol

Also, I hope nobody takes that I am criticizing Vital or any other media producer out there. I think they are doing a good job and if you are a hard-core fan like myself you have quite a few options. Just putting out there some things I would like to see. Vital has definitely become one of my favorites and being able to talk to the creators themselves is a huge bonus. So don't take it as "you need more of this, more of that, I'm not satisfied" just take it as "HJacks likes this and wants more!" lol

|

11/28/2018 7:52 AM

My favorite thing to do after racing a national or amateur national was to go walk the track afterwards. You don't get to see how gnarly the track is from the TV or really even the side lines for that matter. I loved walking the track and was always amazed just how fucking gnar gnar it became.

Would love a track bits section that shows some pics of how gnarly the tracks get. Pit bits is cool and who doesn't like seeing a nice custom part of another picture of a titanium bolt. But I think you should include more picture of just the track after the fact. Gold mine of content sitting there.

|

11/28/2018 7:57 AM

I personally really like the in depth stories of something or someone I might have even heard of and I think Brett Smith does a great job with those: https://www.wewentfast.com/ Same goes with META. However, I can't imagine how much time he spends just writing one article. I doubt the return would be worth it to devote someone like ML to do that for two weeks instead of pumping out all of the other articles and videos he does.

The stories Mathies puts out every once in awhile on Racer X that are super detailed and told through the people that lived it our great as well. Also, the pics and details ML does on here on the bikes at the races are always a favorite of mine.

I guess what I'm saying is there is a lot of good reading out there but it doesn't come from one place and it doesn't pop up daily or even weekly.

|

11/28/2018 8:05 AM

Remember those shots taken from the back seat of a quad or side by side along one of Daytona's straight aways?

Have you seen any of the amazing drone footage coming out lately?

Obviously its too dangerous to have a drone low enough to provide footage that would be compelling but if they would take that spider-cam thing and lower it way way lower along a rhythm section where its safely off to the side and high enough not to be a concern they should be able to provide some great footage along side 2 straights at each track and not just Daytona with its buttery smooth asphalt next to the track to drive a camera man next to.

|

11/28/2018 8:09 AM

While Anton was talking about transworld moto content, all I could think of is their constant “test track laps” videos. Am I the only one so tired of seeing these, they’re so repetitive and I feel like they could send that filmer somewhere else and produce much better content. Also for behind the scenes stuff check out Dean Wilson’s vlogs.

|

11/28/2018 9:08 AM

Someone's been lurking for a long time. Nice original screename OP.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/28/2018 9:33 AM

Honestly the best media going right now:

1) Rupert X’s Photography Extravaganzas.
2) Podcasts: Pulp MX, Main Event, Gypsy Tales, Racer X’s “exhaust” pod’s. I’m looking forward to Ping’s and GL’s pod too.
3) Transworld’s “How was your Weekend”. (Used to enjoy the TW Shadow for race day deal too)
4) Vitals Pit Bits
5) Keefer Testing

The rider vlogs don’t do anything for me. Nor do any of the test track videos. Might just be jaded because there’s so many of them.

Amatuer Coverage, ala vurb moto, needs a second wind in a big way.

|

11/28/2018 9:37 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

He does deserve some serious kuddos for that name. laughing

|

11/28/2018 9:51 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I want more info about the actual bikes. The info about the bikes, parts, setups in MX and SX is a complete joke compared to ...more

ML512 wrote:

I make this point to some teams when they get quiet about new parts or changes I spot. Some teams are super cool about it and ...more

A couple times last year A. Mart said we added some sag or went a couple clicks in with rebound. Still only a little bit of info but far more than "we made some bike changes". Anyways this made me even more of a fan of A Mart, big time.

Seriously, give us some real info and not the cookie cutter responses. Obviously not team secrets but everything is so hush hush nothing is shared.

If you can get some real, honest, and technical interviews with current racers I would listen and read them almost on repeat.

|

11/28/2018 9:59 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

What was his screen name last week? laughing

|

11/28/2018 11:13 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

newmann wrote:

What was his screen name last week? laughing

MotherNewmanns#1Fan

|

11/28/2018 11:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 11:45 AM

Michael Scott wrote:

Tarz483 wrote:

F1 introduced a system like that. You have to pay to have access to it but you can watch the races from different driver cameras.

It's called F1TV and costs 4$/month or $37/year. It gives you access to all the on board cameras, some team radios, all live sessions, archived races and documentaries, replays and highlights from every sessions, etc.

Pretty cool concept. That said I'm not sure that would work for MX/SX. All it takes is one clump of dirt to hit the camera and that camera becomes useless (helmet cam). You sometimes see it happen when they show a lap around the track. Might not be as bad for SX but still.

If they could allow you to watch from different cameramen point of view that could be cool but you'll be switching camera's often unless you like to watch one particular section. The main camera is usually on the action. Cost would go up because they would need more cameramen placed around the track.

Some people already complain about the NBC Gold App and/or Supercross Streaming service. Not sure introducing an MXTV/SXTV that would allow you to pick which camera to watch would succeed all that well. It's already a niche sport so only hardcore fans would pony up for that service. Based on that alone I don't think they could justify the cost.

Would be cool though.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/28/2018 12:50 PM

HJacksPlumber wrote:

Now THAT is an original idea. Maybe have an App that not only shows the lap times/pole position but you can also go to that ...more

https://m.nascar.com/drive

|

11/28/2018 1:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/28/2018 1:16 PM

Honestly Even if it wasn't fpv but if you could even have some choices of camera's just around the track , even that would be really cool imo ,because there are times when the action up front isnt that interesting and maybe you would rather watch some mid pack racing , or if you are playing fantasy SX which is becoming more popular
You could watch the guys on your team etc ,

|