What Happened To The Broome-Tioga National?

4/22/2019 1:48am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2019 4:11am
Watching video on YouTube, I see the track is still open, but why did the pro nationals stop going there? I'm sure somebody here knows the answer
|
FIREfish148
4/22/2019 3:17am
This picture was taken at Broome, right? Always thought it was but now it looks more like steel city after looking at ut closer.

davis224
Fantasy
182nd
4/22/2019 3:24am
Didn't they sell the rights to Freestone?

The Shop

GangGreen
4/22/2019 3:36am
Watching video on YouTube, I see the track is still open, but why did the pro nationals stop going there? I'm sure somebody here knows the...
Watching video on YouTube, I see the track is still open, but why did the pro nationals stop going there? I'm sure somebody here knows the answer
Broome-Tioga is very, very good. I believe MX Sports pushed for less tracks in the Northeast so they sold the AMA National to the track in Texas or something. Broome-Tioga has many local motocross races and a few Vet\Vintage events. It's really awesome when they run the the big hills.

blaster99
Fantasy
395th
4/22/2019 3:56am
I heard the track owners were not willing to make the changes that the AMA wanted, and they fell off the schedule. I think it was around the same time Unadillia flattened/shortened their start, and got rid of the big hill out back. Might not be true, just what I heard talking to some track workers at Unadillia years ago.
ehr400
4/22/2019 4:41am
Also didn’t help RC was super vocal on his dislike of the track because the rocks. I always thought there was great racing there and hp was king on those hills
dmm698
4/22/2019 5:13am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2019 5:14am
Watching video on YouTube, I see the track is still open, but why did the pro nationals stop going there? I'm sure somebody here knows the...
GangGreen wrote:
[b]Broome-Tioga is very, very good. [/b] I believe MX Sports pushed for less tracks in the Northeast so they sold the AMA National to the track...
Broome-Tioga is very, very good. I believe MX Sports pushed for less tracks in the Northeast so they sold the AMA National to the track in Texas or something. Broome-Tioga has many local motocross races and a few Vet\Vintage events. It's really awesome when they run the the big hills.

Have you been drinking?

While I didnt experience broome in its hay day while it had a national, there is no soil left at broome. They try to do their best to make it better, but when you're working with concrete and softball + football sized rocks, its a losing situation. They've also eliminated the big dinner table and the corner double, which stinks too.
420Racing
4/22/2019 5:24am
Flooding didn't help much.
sandman768
4/22/2019 5:35am
The Broome national used to be awesome to watch, good spectator track, you could see a lot of the track for the top hill sections. I think having 2 Nationals in the same market, “Unadilla” is pretty close did not help, getting out after the national sucked too, only 1 country road out. Typical upstate NY track, good 3-4 inches of top soil over hard base with rocks, once that top soil is gone, it has to be brought back or rock hard base. It was great watching all the local guys getting into the National all those years.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
4/22/2019 5:45am
I used to really like watching that track
Kenny Lingus
4/22/2019 6:50am
The story I heard was the owners did not want to invest in the upgrades the Nationals were requesting and sold the rights to Freestone.
Meister
4/22/2019 7:03am
This picture was taken at Broome, right? Always thought it was but now it looks more like steel city after looking at ut closer. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/22/340977/s1200_BubbaScrubVSlapper_1.jpg[/img]
This picture was taken at Broome, right? Always thought it was but now it looks more like steel city after looking at ut closer.

Looks like red bud. The table on the front side of the track heading toward the leap side ?
motoBRD
4/22/2019 7:32am
The last weekend of March I took my kids to an indoor BMX race down by Broome. I went a different way home and my wife missed telling me some turns on the navigation. We're out on some very rural country back roads, and all of a sudden I see the track out the window.

I whip back around and we pull in there. The track was busy. Ton of locals out riding a muddy track. I hadn't been there since probably 1997 when I was 10yrs old. Major blast from the past. Sad not to see the ski jump after the start or the back section where I watched #10 Bradshaw going off the track. It was the double that takes you from the SX section in the front up the hill. He must of drifted wide or something because all of sudden he comes out of the woods at the bottom of the hill. My uncle goes, "what was he doing, picking apples??" Seeing that at 10yrs old, I remember thinking - that's it for Bradshaw, he'll never get back to what he was.

Another memory I have of that place - there was a first lap crash at the top of the ski jump in the corner. Somebody lost their silencer and maybe the whole fender. I want to say it was a factory bike, so the guy just rode out the rest of the race. The bike was so loud every lap.
MX114
4/22/2019 8:02am
Broome in the early 90’s was bad ass. It was still rocky but jack skutnik (the owner then) had the track in its prime as far as events go and track conditions. They ran all the big hills and shit they would get so gnarly rough it was brutal but lots of fun! Besides the national they also held a round of the northeast classic series, LL qualifiers, and the NYS championship every year. Broome would always draw huge numbers of racers back then. Allot of downstate NY and PA, NJ riders would make the trip. Then starting late 90’s early 00’s the track changed hands and the dirt starting going away more and more every year till it’s rock hard and nothing but rocks now. Since the national left it’s kind of sad how downhill it went. No big races anymore and even the local races they do hold barley draw any riders. Far from the days of a packed hillside and 1,200 amateur racers on national weekend
Markopolo400
4/22/2019 8:15am
I raced the amateur day before the pro national in 2005. There were 80+ riders in 125C and the entire hillside was packed.
ama530
4/22/2019 8:18am
Tom Hurd sold the rights to the national. Don't know the real reason. I would think that it was a personal decision. He also sold Hurricane Hills in PA. He does so much during the year he really doesn't need the hassle of a national or running 2 tracks. He holds races year round. Mx, scrambles, snow scrambles, off road trucks, etc... The track is allot of fun. I try to run the ACR Vet & Vintage round every year. He runs the national track during that weekend. The GP is the following day.

I used to laugh at all the pros who used to complain about the track. Including RC. It is upstate NY. Our dirt in PA and NY is hardpack with rocks. RC hated Unadilla also. Every sand rider does. Every national now is a topsoil field. If a new viewer would watch 10 different races they would think they were all the same track, less Southwick. They all look the same on TV. Racers in the NE wear chest protectors and have hand guards & skid plates on their bikes.Talk about the death of real mx. Spandex jerseys, gloves with no protection, etc...
MX114
4/22/2019 8:22am
I’ll remember the 80 9-13 class in 1994 Amateur day of the national had allot of super fast kids in my class that year... Travis Pastrana, Branden Jesseman, Paul Carpenter, Chris Hunter, Jeremy Cook, Casey Clark, Shane Bartholf, Casey Higgins, Aaron Dieter, Mike Dougherty and more. But nobody could beat Paulie Carpenter at broome he was the man there. Only mini rider I’ve ever seen jump the big downhill triple was Paulie on his roached out CR80
Kenny Lingus
4/22/2019 8:34am
It was awesome when Broome and Unadilla we're both on the schedule. Frozen Ocean would have a big race and it would draw a lot of pro's. Wasn't uncommon for your first Moto to be a qualifier. Often you had to finish top ten to make the cut.
Premixed112
4/22/2019 8:41am
It’s a cool track, but what’s the origin behind that odd name?
bbhMoto
4/22/2019 8:46am
Some old 1986 Broome pics. Was a wet day, but cool racing there on amateur day. Night time was crazy. Didn't seem to be as many rocks back in the day.

Race results

Kenny Lingus
4/22/2019 8:56am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2019 9:30am
It's on the line of two counties, Broome and Tioga.
Kenny Lingus
4/22/2019 9:02am
Have a bunch of pics somewhere but only found this one...

Bermworm
4/22/2019 9:02am
Rode there in the early 80’s loved it district 3 was were it was at then Mexico NY(Motomasters) Oriskany Falls(Thunder ridge) and Broome Tioga three very special places each for their own incredible reasons.Of course Unadilla was the crown jewel but back then you had to be a pro as it was only open once or twice a year never groomed and when they went out for practice on Saturday they rode in knee high grass. The other side sucks.Rich Coon had a factory ride Tom Rice regularly kicked ass and Tim Brill flew on his mini.Perhaps I’ll spend the rest of the day drinking Gennesee and reminiscing further... p.s. don’t know what happened to the national don’t know what has happened to our sport.Progress I guess.
mxrider971
4/22/2019 11:07am
Got to race that track for an area qualifier. Really cool layout but man that track was littered with rocks! Nothing like any track I’ve ridden in New England.
Neverclear
4/22/2019 11:16am
motoBRD wrote:
The last weekend of March I took my kids to an indoor BMX race down by Broome. I went a different way home and my wife...
The last weekend of March I took my kids to an indoor BMX race down by Broome. I went a different way home and my wife missed telling me some turns on the navigation. We're out on some very rural country back roads, and all of a sudden I see the track out the window.

I whip back around and we pull in there. The track was busy. Ton of locals out riding a muddy track. I hadn't been there since probably 1997 when I was 10yrs old. Major blast from the past. Sad not to see the ski jump after the start or the back section where I watched #10 Bradshaw going off the track. It was the double that takes you from the SX section in the front up the hill. He must of drifted wide or something because all of sudden he comes out of the woods at the bottom of the hill. My uncle goes, "what was he doing, picking apples??" Seeing that at 10yrs old, I remember thinking - that's it for Bradshaw, he'll never get back to what he was.

Another memory I have of that place - there was a first lap crash at the top of the ski jump in the corner. Somebody lost their silencer and maybe the whole fender. I want to say it was a factory bike, so the guy just rode out the rest of the race. The bike was so loud every lap.
That was Tortelli on the factory Honda who lost his silencer after the early crash. He was so sure he could beat RC that season & he was trying too hard imho. He was a lap down, open exhaust, & pulled back onto the track right behind Ricky so he could run with him for a while. Eventually he dropped off the pace.

Watched some great nationals there with my kids. RC hucking himself off of the top of the hill on the downhill triple was insane. Doug & Stacy Henry's victory lap when he won the championship, and Reed wadding up his YoT Yamaha on the step-up right in front of the stands at the top of the track.

One of the last races went kind of bad because they mixed in a lot of wood chips, and some were really large pieces of wood that caused some tire failures.

And man, what a pain in the ass to get out of after the races..
MX114
4/22/2019 11:22am
bbhMoto wrote:
Some old 1986 Broome pics. Was a wet day, but cool racing there on amateur day. Night time was crazy. Didn't seem to be as many...
Some old 1986 Broome pics. Was a wet day, but cool racing there on amateur day. Night time was crazy. Didn't seem to be as many rocks back in the day.

Race results

Broome used to get rowdy!! We used to park right next to the pond behind the starting gate area... until one year when about 2am the pond went up in flames 15-20 feet tall right next to our pit while we were trying to sleep. The drunkards poured a shit ton of gas on the pond and lit er up. That was the last year we parked there for the national weekend lol. Might of been the same year but sometime in the mid 90’s riot police got called in cause it got so out of hand the local rent a cops couldn’t do shit to tame the crowds partying on top of the hill
Jbulz
Fantasy
3981st
4/22/2019 1:06pm
It's on the county line one of Broome and Tioga counties. There's actually a pit road that runs through the property between the pits and track that is a county road.

I ride here almost weekly. Practice prep is pretty bad... It's slick, rocky, and hard. I wish Tom would bring some dirt in because the track has a ton of potential.

I have to say his race prep is pretty impressive though. He rips it deep and waters it so it ruts up nice. On the few races where he runs the full national layout up the big hill by the road the racing is fantastic.
bbhMoto
4/22/2019 2:03pm
[quote="MX114"]"Broome used to get rowdy!! We used to park right next to the pond behind the starting gate area... until one year when about 2am the pond went up in flames 15-20 feet tall right next to our pit while we were trying to sleep. The drunkards poured a shit ton of gas on the pond and lit er up. That was the last year we parked there for the national weekend lol. Might of been the same year but sometime in the mid 90’s riot police got called in cause it got so out of hand the local rent a cops couldn’t do shit to tame the crowds partying on top of the hill "[/quote]
Yup, we were smart enough not to camp on the hill, lol. I saw cars lit on fire, rolled down the hill, etc. In the campfire pic, guys brought huge logs (like small telephone poles) in on a trailer. Crazy times.

Lots of 'fire dancers' ended up in the embers - ouch! I guess nothing a lot of booze wouldn't take care of.
MarkF
4/22/2019 2:59pm
Bottom photo is 1983 national at Broome. the first four paragraphs are about it also.

Post a reply to: What Happened To The Broome-Tioga National?

The Latest