What Do Riders Look For In A Moto Track

Related:
Create New Tag

10/20/2019 8:03 PM

So looking at creating a track and wondering What do riders look in for a track the most?
Does Flow matter over everything else, or does big jumps and rhythm lanes matter more, is it a good layout, or soil that matters, do people like lots of water or little to no water.
Just looking for what would riders be more attracted to if they got the chance to come ride.
Does Any of this matter at all.

BTW the track would be made on little elevation change so cant have massive step ups or big floaters.

Thanks!

|

10/20/2019 8:17 PM

Get your fastest mate and your slowest mate, build a track they both like.

|

10/20/2019 8:17 PM

good dirt, big but safe jumps and some more tech rythm sections along with elevation changes and outdoorsy stuff

look on youtube for the following tracks that i think are good (helmet cam footage)

cycle ranch, san antonio tx

englishtown racewaypark, oldbridge nj (both the race and practice track are good but now its just one track and it looks pretty good)

NJ Field of Dreams millville NJ

Silver Valley MX in somewhere, NC

Pala Raceway

Take things from these tracks and youll be okay

|

10/20/2019 8:45 PM

Soaked, ripped deep, deep ruts, no outside burns so you have to go through the ruts.

|

10/20/2019 9:12 PM

Flow above all else for me. If im on a track with no flow and big jumps such as mesquite north of Vegas a ride like a beginner. If I go to LACR or Milestone in SoCal or Canyon in Phoenix my buddies are always amazed at how much for confidently I ride and faster I go for longer.

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2006 KX250

10/20/2019 10:01 PM

Flow > Deep dirt > Fun flowing jumps > Creative use of elevation.

Personally I don’t care about jumps. I could ride a turn track with good dirt, ruts and elevation all day.

|

10/20/2019 10:10 PM

|

10/20/2019 10:10 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Personally I don’t care about jumps. I could ride a turn track with good dirt, ruts and elevation all day.

100% agree

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, O'Neal, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/20/2019 10:42 PM

As long as there's no snake pits, I'll ride it.

|

10/20/2019 10:45 PM

I'll take the first picture that carlino joe posted, at almost 58 years old that dirt looks...inviting.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

10/20/2019 11:09 PM

More outdoor motocross - less outdoor supercross.

Good dirt, good consistent prep. Good layout with hills ideally.

Tomahawk mx best track ive been to. True outdoor moto.

|

10/21/2019 12:26 AM

JordanEvans wrote:

So looking at creating a track and wondering What do riders look in for a track the most?
Does Flow matter over everything else, or does big jumps and rhythm lanes matter more, is it a good layout, or soil that matters, do people like lots of water or little to no water.
Just looking for what would riders be more attracted to if they got the chance to come ride.
Does Any of this matter at all.

BTW the track would be made on little elevation change so cant have massive step ups or big floaters.

Thanks!

If the land is already clear of trees, etc just go out with some cheap lath stakes and make a course layout. Bring some buddies who have experience at a variety of tracks, tell them to bring their work gloves and their bikes.

Ride it and adjust as necessary.

Use your equipment to rough in the turns (build up berms or make off-cambers, etc.).

Ride it again and start thinking about exactly where you can add jumps based on how the corners and lanes feel.

Get on the equipment and start making jumps, elevation changes, etc.

If you want elevation change on land that has none, you can dig down to get your dirt for the jumps in one area, then push more dirt out of that area to build up a hill before, after, or next to it.

Keep in mind water run-off... Where will water go if it rains, or if you over-water the track.

Big round jumps last a long time, especially if your soil is soft. Small peaked jumps go away quickly.

|

10/21/2019 1:03 AM

As long as the chick at the front gate is hot we good

|

10/21/2019 6:25 AM

Changing the track often! Nobody wants to ride a track every week that is exactly the same!

If it’s a once or twice a year track then it can stay the same!

Other than that, I’ll ride anything.

|

10/21/2019 6:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2019 10:16 AM

Flow, soil/prep, safe jumps. Work with the natural drainage of the property.

|

10/21/2019 6:58 AM

Is this a personal track or a track open to the public?

|

10/21/2019 7:01 AM

Its so subjective.

Im not a good rider. So for me tables less than 50 feet are all im interested in as far as jumps go. Massive doubles or step ups arent appealing to me - yea im a baby w/e. Id be happy with elevation and good turns.

Dirt thats ripped but not chunky is my favorite. One track i ride at sometimes feels like riding on marbles because of the dirt or ripping process.

My ideal facility would have a “big track” and a “c/vet track.” One track isnt going to make everyone happy. And people will always bitch anyways. I feel bad for track owners.

|

10/21/2019 7:18 AM

Fun

|

10/21/2019 7:22 AM

As long as the jump faces are safe with no kickers. I can deal with just about anything else.

|

10/21/2019 9:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2019 9:11 AM

Flow, ruts, and bumps with nice soil along with 1 nice jump. I also like when tracks have options for those who like to send it.

|

10/21/2019 9:21 AM

Flow, ruts, hills, and no dumb little jumps that you have to slow way down for.

|

10/21/2019 9:46 AM

No big rocks. I spend a lot of time picking them up at my track. I dont like replacing rims and engine cases.

No quads. Self explanatory.

Jumps for pro's are cool as long as they are still safe for those low skilled riders with more balls than brains.

No mixing little guys with the big guys at the same time. A separate peewee track is pretty important for a public track to have, but most places don't have them. That's the main reason we built a track at home.

If racing split the classes into two half days instead of one full day for everyone.

|

10/21/2019 9:55 AM

Dirt. Good dirt.

|

10/21/2019 10:05 AM

Working backwards to design a track makes sense. Figure out what roads can access the property, where a good start and pits and parking would fit, with shade preferred in the staging area. Plan for several thousand spectators to have a good view and access. Consider drainage and what it will take to keep the track open after a deluge, as well as having drainage into water traps to use back on the track. THEN, put in track utilizing a looped back "cloverfield" design that keeps spectators from only seeing a limited part of the race. Use the elevation to the best you can and build the rest. Don't make anything so steep a water truck can't drive up it, or plan for water truck lanes beside the track. Hopefully all this happens where there is good dirt and shade and elevation changes. Good luck on getting half of that.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

10/21/2019 10:25 AM

For me its fast paced tracks. Tall gears all day hucking huge jumps is awesome. 3rd gear pinned around a corner in deep rut is better then tits.

|

10/21/2019 11:34 AM

More than one line around the track, add some rhythm where if you got the drive you can get through it faster but its technical for everyone, Not too many straights , put some corners in there that way you have more opportunities to pass. I personally like step on step offs because they scare the shit outta me but having/not having one doesn't make or break a deal at all. I want something that I have to think about when I go around the track. If I can 450 every jump , and every jump is a table top, I get kinda bored with the whole thing. Im nothing special either, on a good day Im a B rider , I have plenty of jumps I wont do because they're too much of a do or die jump. However I'm weird so this is what I would want.

|

10/21/2019 11:47 AM

Prep is big for me. I hate going to a fun track and see that they flooded a section or two just to create big ruts and make it a pain in the ass. That and smooth operations with good communication if anything happens IE track closures etc.

|

10/21/2019 12:05 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Pretty close to mine:

Dirt (loamy/sand > Elevation (if available > /Flow > Fun safe jumps

I don't get the obsession with ruts - I can ride them decent but don't get the desire to tweak a knee or not being able to change lines if someone goes down in front of you (I know don't follow)

|

10/21/2019 12:46 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Working backwards to design a track makes sense. Figure out what roads can access the property, where a good start and pits and parking would fit, with shade preferred in the staging area. Plan for several thousand spectators to have a good view and access. Consider drainage and what it will take to keep the track open after a deluge, as well as having drainage into water traps to use back on the track. THEN, put in track utilizing a looped back "cloverfield" design that keeps spectators from only seeing a limited part of the race. Use the elevation to the best you can and build the rest. Don't make anything so steep a water truck can't drive up it, or plan for water truck lanes beside the track. Hopefully all this happens where there is good dirt and shade and elevation changes. Good luck on getting half of that.

Since we don't know what kind of track this is , it makes it hard to really answer the question..

If it's a private track, just make what lets you have the most fun cause in the end that will be all that matters. If it's a public track, then that's another deal.. Then you need to listen to the biggest group of customers.

|

10/21/2019 2:06 PM

Big rocks that can be kicked up by rear wheel, and kickers on the face of jumps! Oh and over water the track.. not the whole track but make sure some sections just have a light sprinkle of water and others are submerged. Bonus points if irrigation system comes on during a rain storm!

|