Weston Peick Update

Related:
Create New Tag

11/20/2018 9:13 AM

Fiance says multiple face fractures. Hope he comes out alright!

View this post on Instagram

From Weston's Fiance Kelly .... ?

A post shared by Jeremy Albrecht (@jbonejgr) on

|

11/20/2018 9:17 AM

Thank you.
That was posted seven hours ago on the original topic.

|

11/20/2018 9:27 AM

Was good to see an update. Feel bad for the dude. Wonder if he will ever want to even ride again

|

11/20/2018 10:00 AM

Family first. Heal up big guy. Thoughts and prayers

|

11/20/2018 10:38 AM

kb228 wrote:

Was good to see an update. Feel bad for the dude. Wonder if he will ever want to even ride again

He will. These guys (and this guy especially) are tough.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/20/2018 10:49 AM

Dude is a beast, hope he has a full and speedy recovery!!!

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

11/20/2018 11:02 AM

Sure they did, we just weren't as aware of them.

But yes, it's been a rough few years for our elite riders. Jesse Nelson, Trey Canard, Wilson...

|

11/20/2018 11:21 AM

Once they all get back to their home in USA the healing process can really start and will be much easier,
I can't imagine being injured in another country, let alone one that you can't communicate easily with the medical staff.

The world would be a much better place if everyone just spoke Australian!

|

11/20/2018 11:23 AM

I agree with that last statement. When Kenny hurt his arm, I'd never seen anything like until Kyle Partridge dislocated his big toe in SX a few years back.

|

11/20/2018 11:32 AM

Given the general description of the injuries, how does that happen with a full face helmet? Not putting any blame on the helmet, just a question as to the combination of circumstances to result in those injuries. In due time we'll find out.

|

11/20/2018 11:40 AM

PRM31 wrote:

Given the general description of the injuries, how does that happen with a full face helmet? Not putting any blame on the ...more

When a 200+ lb bike, with a 170+ lb rider lands on ANY helmet, it’s not going to end well.

|

11/20/2018 11:40 AM

Have a pilot and his RMZ land from a jump on your face and you have the answer.

|

11/20/2018 11:44 AM

Such a freaky accident, and hopefully the industry will look into whatever needs to be done so this won't happen again. Love/hate relationship in this sport.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

11/20/2018 11:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 11:52 AM

PRM31 wrote:

Given the general description of the injuries, how does that happen with a full face helmet? Not putting any blame on the ...more

langhammx wrote:

When a 200+ lb bike, with a 170+ lb rider lands on ANY helmet, it’s not going to end well.

I have had a bike land on my head and had a few rather large skull fractures to show for it. That was even in the open face days. It broke the helmet, but it still wasn't the injuries we see here. May be as simple as the amount of force involved being that much greater. Believe me I get that.

|

11/20/2018 11:55 AM

From the film, it looked like Peick was face down when the bike landed on his head, so his helmet surely saved his life. Not to be dismissive, but this could've been a LOT worse. It could've caused serious head or spinal damage.

|

11/20/2018 12:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 12:15 PM

When I looked close at the cell phone video my conclusion was he took a footpeg under the chinbar, but it's hard to tell and I'm not looking again. Nothing a helmet can do about something that comes in under the chinbar. It would be interesting to see the helmet.

|

11/20/2018 12:18 PM

TriRacer27 wrote:

From the film, it looked like Peick was face down when the bike landed on his head, so his helmet surely saved his life. Not ...more

When I first read the facial injuries I thought something must have smashed through his goggle area (handlebar, footpeg?) If he was face down it must of just been the force that has broken his jaw etc- possibly got the helmet yanked upwards. In that case it’s a miracle he doesn’t have a neck injury and that’s due to his strength and build. If this was anyone else the injury would be far greater.
I feel gutted for him because he was a last minute call up for the race and the track was generally pretty basic. Such a freak accident.
All the best Weston, hope you recover 100% Which I’m sure he will.

|

11/20/2018 12:20 PM

I believe the chin bar of any helmet is basically a crumple zone to absorb impact. I think it was just absolute worst case scenario for how/where he was hit.

|

11/20/2018 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 12:22 PM

ledger wrote:

Such a freaky accident, and hopefully the industry will look into whatever needs to be done so this won't happen again. ...more

What can you do to make sure you'll never be landed on except stop racing and ride on your own?
Unfortunately, being hit by another rider is a good recipe for bad damage...
Peick's crash in itself was rather harmless...

|

11/20/2018 12:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/20/2018 12:24 PM

PRM31 wrote:

in 1998, I was riding a CR125 at a local spot and was jumping a scrawny little silly tabletop that I swear wasn't 15 feet long. I remember I got cross-rutted on the jump and remember thinking "Damn - this is gonna hurt" as I fell from my amazing 6' high jump.

I woke up in an MRI machine and had crushed the entire right side of my face and sent my cheekbone backwards, eye socket shattered. NOT FUN.

Yes, I was wearing a properly fitting helmet. Still don't know how I did it. Just goes to show that weird things happen and sometimes there's really no explanation.

The recovery was SUPER long, also, because you're dealing with bones around your brain and they want to make 100% certain that things fully heal. This does not bode well for his 2019.

Sucks for Weston - good well soon.

|

11/20/2018 12:22 PM

GrapeApe wrote:

When I looked close at the cell phone video my conclusion was he took a footpeg under the chinbar, but it's hard to tell and ...more

I saw him faceplant, roll, and the cases of the bike hit his face area. It looked like The cases were on his head with him face up.

|

11/20/2018 12:23 PM

What happened to Peick has nothing to do with the current generation of the sport compared to 70s-90s.

Peicks injury was a freak accident that can happen every time 20-40 riders head towards a turn while starting in a row. The year doesn't matter.

|

Current fleet of two wheeled vehicles:
- KTM SX 250 2020
- Suzuki GSX-R 600 K7 track spec
- Canyon Sender CF 8.0 2018 Downhill
- Canyon Spectral:ON 7.0 2019 EMTB
- White GX Pro 20 Gravel

11/20/2018 12:54 PM

Not saying that this was the cause or anything in this case but generally speaking (in my view) the governing bodies should do something about the footpegs these days. We have sprocket guards and ball ends to the levers but yet we’re allowed to have footpegs that look like some sort of horrific razor-sharp Kung Fu weapon on each side of the bike.

|

11/20/2018 2:35 PM

I wish him a full recovery and i Hope his wife is getting the support she needs also , sounds like a painful experience all the way around.
I Honestly think the sport of Motocross/supercross has evolved to far for its own good, for safety. And for bike sales.

|

11/23/2018 6:40 AM

Reminds me of randy Moody's sprint car accident, I heard they did a trach right there in the car

|

11/23/2018 7:02 AM

I’m curious to see the helmet. I don’t think we ever will though. The chin bar on the the fly carbons have some large vents in the side. I understand they are meant to crush. Does he wear an off the shelf model that you or I could buy? Or is it a one off made for him.

|

11/23/2018 7:29 AM

rongi#401 wrote:

Reminds me of randy Moody's sprint car accident, I heard they did a trach right there in the car

Any backstory on that? Haven't seen him in 20+ years.

|

11/23/2018 9:16 AM

bf884 wrote:

I’m curious to see the helmet. I don’t think we ever will though. The chin bar on the the fly carbons have some large vents in ...more

Why would a helmet manufacturer make a one-off helmet?

The helmet did a pretty darn good job considering Weston's head didn't explode like a pumpkin.

|

11/23/2018 12:49 PM

bf884 wrote:

I’m curious to see the helmet. I don’t think we ever will though. The chin bar on the the fly carbons have some large vents in ...more

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Why would a helmet manufacturer make a one-off helmet?

The helmet did a pretty darn good job considering Weston's head didn't ...more

Well alpinestars makes boots specifically for their big riders. I’m pretty sure Eli Tomac doesn’t wear boots you could buy at Motorsport, so same concept. Yeah no brain injury the helmet did it’s job but his face did explode. i have an old F2 carbon and love it. I get that it could have happened with any helmet and the right circumstances. I think we have some of the best helmets this day in age.

|

11/23/2018 1:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2018 1:23 PM

bf884 wrote:

Well alpinestars makes boots specifically for their big riders. I’m pretty sure Eli Tomac doesn’t wear boots you could buy at ...more

Alpinestars makes one-off colorways for their top riders but the boot they are wearing is fundamentally the exact same boot you can buy in a store. They are not making one-off boot patterns, sizes and shapes that deviate from their standard mass-produced patterns.

Helmet manufacturers would never make a one-off helmet that is somehow more protective than the very same helmet you can buy in a store. Do you have any idea what sort of damage that would do to a helmet's brand if consumers found out pros get an extra special helmet that is more protective than one you can buy in a store? Doesn't and wouldn't happen.

Weston didn't die and didn't suffer a traumatic brain injury. That's the best any helmet can do under those circumstances.

|