woodsryder
Fantasy
3295th
Edited Date/Time 1/8/2022 5:52pm
|
olderandYZer
1/7/2022 8:33am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 2:41pm
Seems like big news.

Wonder how this will affect Jason Thomas and the PulpMX show down the line.

I think Fly racing was helped by PulpMX and PulpMX got a good return from Fly.

Wonder if Fly will still be a corporate sponsor of the SX series down the line
1/7/2022 8:36am
That certainly is big news for the fastest growing dist in the USA. With the moves they had been making over the last 5 years selling seemed like the obvious goal. Will be interesting to see what changes they make moving forward!
TannerMxer
1/7/2022 8:42am
Hopefully WPS gets to remain as is and this is simply a line item in Arrowhead's books, that way everyone gets to keep their job and keep killin' it the way they have been.
Xeno
1/7/2022 8:52am
Wow! That's big news.

The Shop

Meister
1/7/2022 9:54am
From an employee, I hear its safe and exciting for everyone.
Brtp4
1/7/2022 10:17am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 10:17am
I wonder if Mr Shoemaker thanked any of his employees with a splinter piece of the fat check.
They definitely did not keep him around very long.

BP
Francisco
Fantasy
4292nd
1/7/2022 11:05am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 12:13pm
Brtp4 wrote:

BP
He’s worked at WPS for 38 years and owned the company for 21 of said years and is retiring with the sale of the business.

I would see “they” kept him around for quite a long time….
USA
Fantasy
428th
1/7/2022 11:55am
Meister wrote:
From an employee, I hear its safe and exciting for everyone.
Yes, and they are going to sell more, and make more money! And everything will stay 100% the same. We know the lines
PTshox
1/7/2022 12:48pm
I didn't see a sale price. WPS was well respected...Parent company to the ArrowHead company is a private equity firm. They are about making a buck... Bottom line.

I’m in no way trying to be a downer but I've been involved in a good-sized Tech acquisition. When you’re working for the company getting acquired… watch out! The company that buys you gives the nod to the person in the job, same job, to their own employee; not the person in the company being acquired. Also be on the look out for the “we want all of you” speech. “This is about talent as much as about product”. I’ve been here and seen this movie. Pay close attention to what is done… not what is said! Read the tea leaves. Usually takes 6-18 months for this to all play out depending on how aggressive the acquiring company is.

There will be overlap between these two companies. There will be warehouses that service the same areas, sale managers, reps, IT staff, accounting staff etc… and thus there will be consolidation. It’s simply a matter of efficiency. Over lapping jobs will be... not needed.

So, if you’re at the company being bought the best insurance is to get your resume out there. So you have a rock to hop on in the event it gets nasty… Create options for yourself so you don’t get caught off guard. I've been there... I've lived this stuff.

My 3 cents. Wish I knew this when I was a pup.
hititpind
1/7/2022 2:59pm
PTshox wrote:
I didn't see a sale price. WPS was well respected...Parent company to the ArrowHead company is a private equity firm. They are about making a buck...
I didn't see a sale price. WPS was well respected...Parent company to the ArrowHead company is a private equity firm. They are about making a buck... Bottom line.

I’m in no way trying to be a downer but I've been involved in a good-sized Tech acquisition. When you’re working for the company getting acquired… watch out! The company that buys you gives the nod to the person in the job, same job, to their own employee; not the person in the company being acquired. Also be on the look out for the “we want all of you” speech. “This is about talent as much as about product”. I’ve been here and seen this movie. Pay close attention to what is done… not what is said! Read the tea leaves. Usually takes 6-18 months for this to all play out depending on how aggressive the acquiring company is.

There will be overlap between these two companies. There will be warehouses that service the same areas, sale managers, reps, IT staff, accounting staff etc… and thus there will be consolidation. It’s simply a matter of efficiency. Over lapping jobs will be... not needed.

So, if you’re at the company being bought the best insurance is to get your resume out there. So you have a rock to hop on in the event it gets nasty… Create options for yourself so you don’t get caught off guard. I've been there... I've lived this stuff.

This
fins227
1/7/2022 3:32pm
Arrowhead has acquired a few companies recently.
Zoom
1/7/2022 6:04pm
A long time employee of a company that Arrowhead owns called me the other day looking for an industry job. Says its gotten very corporate and bottom line is all that matters.
dcg141
1/7/2022 6:24pm
Zoom wrote:
A long time employee of a company that Arrowhead owns called me the other day looking for an industry job. Says its gotten very corporate and...
A long time employee of a company that Arrowhead owns called me the other day looking for an industry job. Says its gotten very corporate and bottom line is all that matters.
I would think that the bottom line at WPS is pretty solid. They have put some real pressure on Parts Unlimited.
enketchum
1/7/2022 8:26pm
I hope JT gets a raise so he can keep wearing those fancy jeans and getting those slick hair cuts.
PTshox
1/7/2022 8:51pm
Zoom wrote:
A long time employee of a company that Arrowhead owns called me the other day looking for an industry job. Says its gotten very corporate and...
This is not surprising. In the least. The company I own deals with venture capital funded companies in Silicon Valley on a regular basis. The companies are bought and sold on a regular basis. They are like cards in a card game.... toss one out and draw another. Keep the flow going for investors and yourself. The front line employee doesn't get this.... It's a game of moving money around the table. The guy that sold company XYZ ... he took care of himself. He put in the work. took the risk. Did it for many years. Probably treated the workers very well...and the customers. Thus the business was attractive to someone wanting to buy it. But... they buy it because they will squeeze it harder..... lay off over lapping employees and make it more profitable.

Does it work? Not very often. Most of the time it's people justifying their jobs and moving parts around the board but not moving the ball further down the field. I've been here...seen it first hand. I have the scars. Most acquisitons fail... like 80%. It's that bad..... It is an art. Not a science. And if an account or worse an attorney that drives the bus... pray... just pray IMO..

To some degree it is not personal. But to some degree it is. If you bought a company and there were three accounts and you needed one... and you paid your hard earned money for that company...what would you do?

Well, honestly, you'd toss two and keep one... It's a machine.

Now, what the employee needs to understand it they are a hired gun. The company employees you as long as you bring value from their perspective. But don't think this way as an employee - you offer a service to the company. Sell yourself to the folks that treat you well. Don't pay attention to "lip service". Pay attention to what actually is done.

If some one wants to put me in touch with JT... please do.
RalphS
1/7/2022 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 8:57pm
PTshox wrote:
I didn't see a sale price. WPS was well respected...Parent company to the ArrowHead company is a private equity firm. They are about making a buck...

Been there done that and couldn't say that better myself, corporate America only believes in one god: profits.
McG194
1/7/2022 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 9:08pm
I've been part of industry buyouts at one of the big 3 distributors and the employees should worry. WPS was (and hopefully still is) the place that a lot of people looked at as the best of the bunch. I would say it's mostly due to the family atmosphere. I wish the best for them but buyouts are never fun and someone always loses.

Best thing to remember as an employee what you have done up till this point in your career means nothing. You are on an extended job interview. They may have already decided to get rid of your position but if you are valuable, they will move you where they need you.
1/7/2022 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 9:14pm
Claimed this ENS domain a few days ago.. had a feeling Craig wasn't much of a crypto guy; but also know things change..

kage173
1/8/2022 1:21am
No idea on the specifics here, but the usual PE playbook is to use debt to buy the company then they put all that debt on the company, so now every decision made is based on driving enough cash to service that monthly/quarterly loan payment.
Jesse318pnw
1/8/2022 6:15am
Seems like big news. Wonder how this will affect Jason Thomas and the PulpMX show down the line. I think Fly racing was helped by PulpMX...
Seems like big news.

Wonder how this will affect Jason Thomas and the PulpMX show down the line.

I think Fly racing was helped by PulpMX and PulpMX got a good return from Fly.

Wonder if Fly will still be a corporate sponsor of the SX series down the line
Interestingly enough I see they own Vertex pistons and hot cams/pivot works. I don’t think Vertex is back with Pulp this year after many years with them and I haven’t heard the other brands either (but they may be on another one of his shows).

My favorite thing in business; buy a company and change all the things they were doing to make you want to buy it because you know better.

I could be wrong on all of this I just think it’s interesting.
Crossup
1/8/2022 9:21am
PTshox wrote:

In M & A you buy companies on their way up or ones on their way out. For the ones that are on their way up, you don't mess with the formula that is working. I don't see Arrowhead with a better formula so WPS (and staff) are prob fine.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
1/8/2022 9:30am Edited Date/Time 1/8/2022 9:30am
Always have a plan b with an emergency fund. Good luck to all involved.
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
1/8/2022 9:40am
Would be interesting to see how many millions $$ worth of fly gear is sitting on budget motorcycle store shelves world wide - that the new owners have purchased.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
1/8/2022 9:54am
Brtp4 wrote:

BP
Francisco wrote:
He’s worked at WPS for 38 years and owned the company for 21 of said years and is retiring with the sale of the business. I...
He’s worked at WPS for 38 years and owned the company for 21 of said years and is retiring with the sale of the business.

I would see “they” kept him around for quite a long time….
I am glad that someone who built a business up was able to cash out at retirement. That does not happen a lot.
Brtp4
1/8/2022 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2022 2:22pm
motokiwi wrote:
Would be interesting to see how many millions $$ worth of fly gear is sitting on budget motorcycle store shelves world wide - that the new...
Would be interesting to see how many millions $$ worth of fly gear is sitting on budget motorcycle store shelves world wide - that the new owners have purchased.
I am not a broker, but from the business sales I have seen that is not how they usually work. Usually there is an agreed upon price, and a separate agreed upon amount for the inventory. It is usually considered as an aggregate (i.e. all WPS inventory, not just Fly) and then marked down to $.xx on the dollar. The larger the inventory or more vague its value, the more negotiating there is on the purchase value. I have seen it parsed based on age, but never on segment. Sometimes it is not sold with the business. But these usually take place at the 30,000 foot level, with a corresponding level of broad-brushing.

If inventory is out on credit, receivables are considered the same way. But buying receivables is treated with great caution by any buyer.

Often the buyer purchases the "assets" of the business, the old corporation is dissolved, and a new one is formed. This limits any hidden liabilities, responsibilities, etc. for the buyer. Example would be, if a product liability suit arose from a helmet sold prior to the business sale, the old owner is responsible, and the new one is not. Employees would know this because they have to be rehired by the new company. But this does not happen always.

Also, more than a few companies in our industry that get acquired, do it because of growth. Some well known ones, too.

This one is very interesting, for sure. That said, we all should admire what C.S. accomplished.

BP
lumpy790
1/8/2022 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2022 5:52pm
Hope they are interested in buying Moto Hose since WPS is our distributor and bringing whole operation in hose to maximize profits.

Post a reply to: Western Power Sports sold!

The Latest