Weird state of mx right now?

Bry145
5/5/2018 4:07pm
level wrote:
I get bummed when so many top riders retire or any known rider for that matter. Kind of zaps the excitement out of the air and...
I get bummed when so many top riders retire or any known rider for that matter. Kind of zaps the excitement out of the air and little depressing. Millsaps. Short. Dungey. Villopoto just to name a few.

I don’t know it’s a weird feeling to describe when you watch someone every week for years and years and you don’t see them anymore. Such a young mans sport compared to like nascar.
I guess you could say I just miss them.
Smile
Ask any economist if they would continue to do that kind of work and take those risks with millions in the bank and good health.

I work hard because I have to. If I had millions I'd ride moto, mountain bikes, golf, and play video games all day. I've been working and/or in school (with a few breaks) since 1997 and I'm 35. If I had millions I'd retire!

Having to work is different than not having to work. It's a cost/benefit analysis.

5/6/2018 5:04am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 5:05am
Herlings is the only rider in the world who is similar to JS RV AND RC, I understand all the training and what not have leveled it out between average and great riders, but guys I mentioned above are cut from a different cloth and we haven't seen one since them in ama SX and mx
5/6/2018 5:50am
Oh no what a hardship running cycling lifting weights and then worst of all riding their motorcycle. Try humping shingles up and down ladders or loading and hanging drywall Any kind of construction or that matter. I know when I’m burnt out I’ll retire,oh wait I did 5 years ago, good thing I was paid millions... nope still at it thirty years after I started. Well they do have the pressure of winning really large sums of money if the do well or just large amounts if they don’t. The whole world has presssure in everyday life yet these mollycoddled narcissists believe their pressure is more important than the average joe trying to pay his mortgage ,truck payment , monthly bills. I don’t begrudge them their affluence I just don’t want to hear them whine about how tough it is. Suck it up buttercup we all have our burdens to bare. Now dance monkey I want to be entertained!
5/6/2018 6:02am
Halfast816 wrote:
Oh no what a hardship running cycling lifting weights and then worst of all riding their motorcycle. Try humping shingles up and down ladders or loading...
Oh no what a hardship running cycling lifting weights and then worst of all riding their motorcycle. Try humping shingles up and down ladders or loading and hanging drywall Any kind of construction or that matter. I know when I’m burnt out I’ll retire,oh wait I did 5 years ago, good thing I was paid millions... nope still at it thirty years after I started. Well they do have the pressure of winning really large sums of money if the do well or just large amounts if they don’t. The whole world has presssure in everyday life yet these mollycoddled narcissists believe their pressure is more important than the average joe trying to pay his mortgage ,truck payment , monthly bills. I don’t begrudge them their affluence I just don’t want to hear them whine about how tough it is. Suck it up buttercup we all have our burdens to bare. Now dance monkey I want to be entertained!
Would you work if you didn’t have to? No?....but you can’t understand why these guys don’t want to, and yet they are working 24/7 365.

The Shop

5/6/2018 6:04am
BobPA wrote:
I do not think we will see any eras of dominance like in previous years. The training programs, and sheer dedication by all the current riders...
I do not think we will see any eras of dominance like in previous years. The training programs, and sheer dedication by all the current riders has leveled the playing field a bit. Plenty of guys now have the bike, training, and talent to run up front. It just comes down to consistency.

For which I think the Dunge should be teaching a class on.
Jett Reynolds is right around the corner and appears to have the heart of a Lion. Domination is near.
Fourth_Floor
5/6/2018 7:49am
Halfast816 wrote:
Oh no what a hardship running cycling lifting weights and then worst of all riding their motorcycle. Try humping shingles up and down ladders or loading...
Hmmmmmm....I worked construction through my 20's. Mostly industrial so a lot of steel and concrete work. Not once did I get the nervous shits before going to work or feel I was at risk of suffering a life altering injury. It was actually enjoyable because I worked with a good group of guys and we had fun at work. Please don't downplay the hard work and dedication that goes into trying to make a living racing dirtbikes. Any moron can carry shingles up a ladder and hang drywall. There are hundreds of thousands of people that work construction for a living and about a handful of guys that race dirtbikes for a living....what does that tell you?
philG
5/6/2018 8:28am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I don't know if there is an easy way to see exactly how many races each rider actually does every season. Can you show us how...
I don't know if there is an easy way to see exactly how many races each rider actually does every season. Can you show us how many races the top 10 finishers in the 2017 MXGP class actually attended? I'd be surprised if it actually ended up being over 30......

You mentioned the British championships, and it definitely didn't seem to be much of a draw for the top GP guys in 2017.
No, it isnt , but the point is , there are no 'off weekends'.. Ben Watson, last years British MX2 Champ now rides for a Belgian based team, and is doing Dutch and Belgian nationals, as well as GP's, the french guys will be doing French Championships , and Nagl and the like will be doing ADAC in Germany.

19,GP's last year , so thats 38 days straight away, British Champs is 8 days, , and i think Belgian,and Dutch are 6 each, plus the 2 pre season internationals in Feb, and the Italian International series (3 rounds) which is in february.

There is usually a race after the MXoN , to wind up our nationals, so from Hawkstone International , in mid Feb, till end of September, early October, there might be 3 off weekends with nothing on.

And there are a few midweek races too, because public holidays are midweek in the Benelux Countries, they sometimes run on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

Apart from Cairoli, all the top guys will do the national series that is home to their team, and maybe one other, where they dont clash.

APLMAN99
5/6/2018 8:42am
philG wrote:
No, it isnt , but the point is , there are no 'off weekends'.. Ben Watson, last years British MX2 Champ now rides for a Belgian...
No, it isnt , but the point is , there are no 'off weekends'.. Ben Watson, last years British MX2 Champ now rides for a Belgian based team, and is doing Dutch and Belgian nationals, as well as GP's, the french guys will be doing French Championships , and Nagl and the like will be doing ADAC in Germany.

19,GP's last year , so thats 38 days straight away, British Champs is 8 days, , and i think Belgian,and Dutch are 6 each, plus the 2 pre season internationals in Feb, and the Italian International series (3 rounds) which is in february.

There is usually a race after the MXoN , to wind up our nationals, so from Hawkstone International , in mid Feb, till end of September, early October, there might be 3 off weekends with nothing on.

And there are a few midweek races too, because public holidays are midweek in the Benelux Countries, they sometimes run on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

Apart from Cairoli, all the top guys will do the national series that is home to their team, and maybe one other, where they dont clash.

I think that there are plenty of off weekends.

The only national series that it appears that the bulk of the top 15 MXGP class riders compete in is the Italian series, and it's 3 rounds.

The myth of the "every weekend" Euro racer is easy to perpetuate if no one actually keeps track, but it doesn't appear to be accurate. And no one ever seems to use actual facts when they try to push the narrative.......
philG
5/6/2018 9:25am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I think that there are plenty of off weekends. The only national series that it appears that the bulk of the top 15 MXGP class riders...

The only national series that it appears that the bulk of the top 15 MXGP class riders compete in is the Italian series, and it's 3 rounds.

The myth of the "every weekend" Euro racer is easy to perpetuate if no one actually keeps track, but it doesn't appear to be accurate. And no one ever seems to use actual facts when they try to push the narrative.......
https://mxvice.uk/76924/the-pre-entry-list-mill

Entry list for today from Mill..

Herlings, Febvre, Anstie, Coldenhoff, Paulin,Simpson, Seewer in MX1

Covington, TKO, Vlaanderen, Watson, Pootjes, Van Donnink in MX2.

Last year there was a Belgian Championship on a Monday after the Swiss GP , which was the week after Lommel, which we went to.

Just because you dont know about something, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Also a round of the French Elite Champs too, so guys will be there too.
APLMAN99
5/6/2018 9:55am
APLMAN99 wrote:
I think that there are plenty of off weekends. The only national series that it appears that the bulk of the top 15 MXGP class riders...

philG wrote:
https://mxvice.uk/76924/the-pre-entry-list-mill Entry list for today from Mill.. Herlings, Febvre, Anstie, Coldenhoff, Paulin,Simpson, Seewer in MX1 Covington, TKO, Vlaanderen, Watson, Pootjes, Van Donnink in MX2. Last year...
https://mxvice.uk/76924/the-pre-entry-list-mill

Entry list for today from Mill..

Herlings, Febvre, Anstie, Coldenhoff, Paulin,Simpson, Seewer in MX1

Covington, TKO, Vlaanderen, Watson, Pootjes, Van Donnink in MX2.

Last year there was a Belgian Championship on a Monday after the Swiss GP , which was the week after Lommel, which we went to.

Just because you dont know about something, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Also a round of the French Elite Champs too, so guys will be there too.
And throwing out that a race may have taken place doesn't mean that top riders actually attended. I can't seem to find results for the Belgian championships, so could you possibly post the race results from the Monday race you refer to after the Swiss GP? It'd be interesting to see how many of last year's top 15 MXGP raced it, along with how many rounds that they raced overall. It definitely appears that attendance by top riders is sporadic. The ADAC Masters is a good example. I think that you can just about count on one hand the TOTAL number of rounds raced by top 15 MXGP riders, but it gets thrown out in every argument about how many races the top guys run.

Here's the 2017 results, pick out the top 15 MXGP riders from last year......

lumpy790
5/6/2018 10:10am
Different year in a young mans Professional sport.
APLMAN99
5/6/2018 10:19am
2017 French Elite doesn't show a whole lot of top 15 MXGP riders either.....

philG
5/6/2018 10:39am
You need to search in French, or Flemish...

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4552792

Belgian Dates for 2018, not all are Full status, but at least 4 are plus a couple of midweek races.

http://www.fmb-bmb.be/fr/documents/calendrier-motocross

You can see Nagl also rode the Belgian races too.

Herlings did the British pre season race at Hawkstone, and the Italian International , and the Dutch, and a couple of the Belgian, and of course he dropped in an AMA round for good measure.

Febvre rides Dutch, French, and Italian, and a Belgian or 2.

These guys are paid to race , and if there is a race, they go. Its always been the case, back in the day , the off-GP internationals and midweek races kept most of the GP in a living .

Pick a rider and follow him on Instagram.. Anstie would be a good one, because you will understand what he writes..
make1go
5/6/2018 10:43am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 10:45am
Halfast816 wrote:
beautiful a perfect lead in for this..
https://goo.gl/images/mmiSzB

most o you yank wouldnt have seen this in tge day but now you is more sofisticated an all you might "get it"
APLMAN99
5/6/2018 10:44am
British MAXXIS results 2017. Searle raced a round....

APLMAN99
5/6/2018 10:49am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 10:52am
philG wrote:
You need to search in French, or Flemish... https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4552792 Belgian Dates for 2018, not all are Full status, but at least 4 are plus a couple...
You need to search in French, or Flemish...

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4552792

Belgian Dates for 2018, not all are Full status, but at least 4 are plus a couple of midweek races.

http://www.fmb-bmb.be/fr/documents/calendrier-motocross

You can see Nagl also rode the Belgian races too.

Herlings did the British pre season race at Hawkstone, and the Italian International , and the Dutch, and a couple of the Belgian, and of course he dropped in an AMA round for good measure.

Febvre rides Dutch, French, and Italian, and a Belgian or 2.

These guys are paid to race , and if there is a race, they go. Its always been the case, back in the day , the off-GP internationals and midweek races kept most of the GP in a living .

Pick a rider and follow him on Instagram.. Anstie would be a good one, because you will understand what he writes..
So 3 top 15 guys raced that race, no link to total events.....

Thanks! It's definitely confirming my suspicions that this "no weekends off" is a tired old myth!
make1go
5/6/2018 10:51am
Halfast816 wrote:
Hmmmmmm....I worked construction through my 20's. Mostly industrial so a lot of steel and concrete work. Not once did I get the nervous shits before going...
Hmmmmmm....I worked construction through my 20's. Mostly industrial so a lot of steel and concrete work. Not once did I get the nervous shits before going to work or feel I was at risk of suffering a life altering injury. It was actually enjoyable because I worked with a good group of guys and we had fun at work. Please don't downplay the hard work and dedication that goes into trying to make a living racing dirtbikes. Any moron can carry shingles up a ladder and hang drywall. There are hundreds of thousands of people that work construction for a living and about a handful of guys that race dirtbikes for a living....what does that tell you?
prime candidate, go check out " the four yorkshire men" comedy skit on spew tube, see if you can see anything that resembles YOU...lol..im so hard done by..help me jebus!!
philG
5/6/2018 10:53am
Searle was out injured for most of 2017. Him and Simpson and Nicholls did the full series in 2016. Simpson , like most UK riders doing GP's is based out of Belgium, and does those races now as the costs of coming to do 8 UK races instead of pleasing your local sponsors is too high.
drt410
5/6/2018 11:10am Edited Date/Time 5/6/2018 11:12am
I agree with a lot of the “sx is the problem” but at the same time it feels like the progression of the sport has stalled...
I agree with a lot of the “sx is the problem” but at the same time it feels like the progression of the sport has stalled. Jut about everyone has perfected their own way and nobody has come back to revolutionize the riding technique (McGrath - stay low, Stewart - the scrub) everything has been a pretty consistent progression scale, but nobody is shocking the water with anything different that can push the riders to a new level.

Think back to Herlings over last summer came in with his euro setup and laid waste to everyone. Maybe that’s what it will take is an American setup to become more European and forgiving.

Or even as the mxgp tracks deteriorate and break down at far more extensive rate than the outdoor nationals.

I think the most recent change was with consistency. Villopoto had it, but because he won everything. Dungey kind of revolutionalized the sport again by learning how to always get a top 4 and win when you have to and settle when you have to. This is basically what Anderson did this year. In past years Eli would have won because everybody else crashed too, but Anderson took the Dungey style this year. Its not one of the sexy changes like the bubba scrub, conditioning like RC, or smooth perfect timing like Mc, but it wins championships.
APLMAN99
5/6/2018 11:16am
philG wrote:
Searle was out injured for most of 2017. Him and Simpson and Nicholls did the full series in 2016. Simpson , like most UK riders doing...
Searle was out injured for most of 2017. Him and Simpson and Nicholls did the full series in 2016. Simpson , like most UK riders doing GP's is based out of Belgium, and does those races now as the costs of coming to do 8 UK races instead of pleasing your local sponsors is too high.
So 2 top 15 guys did the British champs back in 2016.......

Still a lot of empty weekends!
MaxPower
5/6/2018 11:19am
Winning makes a Champion but for me my real respect goes to the racers that are out there season after season like Chad putting in the work ,risking their dome and having shots taken at their egos from younger riders coming up. When you are on your game life is great. Fighting for your life to stay in the top ten week after week year after year to me is a real chsmpion. That's my opinion, not trying to change anyone else's
philG
5/6/2018 11:44am
APLMAN99 wrote:
So 27 races, right?
yup, one less race than SX/Outdoors, but 47 days riding instead of 28.
APLMAN99
5/6/2018 11:58am
APLMAN99 wrote:
So 27 races, right?
philG wrote:
yup, one less race than SX/Outdoors, but 47 days riding instead of 28.
Actually 3 less races than the standard top racer schedule.

17 FIM/AMA Supercross Championship races
12 AMA Nationals
1 Monster Energy Cup Supercross race

30 races

philG
5/6/2018 12:28pm
So you are seeing 3 extra races, when there are actually 19 more days of riding. We wont even start on 'bike time' ..
Surprised you didnt include straight rhythm.

And then there are only a few guys on that schedule, all the 250 guys are on half duties.

They are both tough schedules, the GP boys are usually racing at 5pm local time, and are rarely out of the track before 7.30, meaning a lot of them arent home till Monday , the last race in Russia was on Tuesday, fly out weds AM , back to Belgium, / Holland/ wherever, race at Mill, and then fly out this friday to Latvia, Some of the teams will do the 24hr ferry to Latvia, and some will fly in, either way you dont get out till monday.

RV said he really struggled with the 2 GP day format, because he was at the track pretty much 3 days , instead of the 1 1/2 for an AMA race, and Kenny said he struggled to get used to all the flying doing SX , so they both have their issues, but the myth that GP guys have it easy is a fallacy... Argentina GP from the UK was 36 hours each way, Indonesia will be 20 ish..

Also RV skipped all of the pre season races because he thought he was ready without them... we know how that ended.

APLMAN99
5/6/2018 12:48pm
philG wrote:
So you are seeing 3 extra races, when there are actually 19 more days of riding. We wont even start on 'bike time' .. Surprised you...
So you are seeing 3 extra races, when there are actually 19 more days of riding. We wont even start on 'bike time' ..
Surprised you didnt include straight rhythm.

And then there are only a few guys on that schedule, all the 250 guys are on half duties.

They are both tough schedules, the GP boys are usually racing at 5pm local time, and are rarely out of the track before 7.30, meaning a lot of them arent home till Monday , the last race in Russia was on Tuesday, fly out weds AM , back to Belgium, / Holland/ wherever, race at Mill, and then fly out this friday to Latvia, Some of the teams will do the 24hr ferry to Latvia, and some will fly in, either way you dont get out till monday.

RV said he really struggled with the 2 GP day format, because he was at the track pretty much 3 days , instead of the 1 1/2 for an AMA race, and Kenny said he struggled to get used to all the flying doing SX , so they both have their issues, but the myth that GP guys have it easy is a fallacy... Argentina GP from the UK was 36 hours each way, Indonesia will be 20 ish..

Also RV skipped all of the pre season races because he thought he was ready without them... we know how that ended.

You're the one who started with the nationalistic bullshit. If the riders travel 500-1000 miles home between Saturday and Sunday, then your silly "days riding" might be applicable. But they don't, and it isn't.

The Mill race will be attended by 4-5 top 15 MXGP class racers, correct? And isn't it something like a 3-5 event series?

I don't think most rational people think that either schedule is a complete cakewalk. You chose to start with the digs, but you made it fairly easy to show that you are parroting myths.

Post a reply to: Weird state of mx right now?

The Latest