Weimer

davistld01
11/11/2014 9:21am Edited Date/Time 11/26/2014 5:59am
Just read a recent interview with Jake Weimer on RacerX...and at that time he still had absolutely nothing lined up for even the 2015 SX season. No bike, no sponsors, no gear deal...nada. I don't doubt that Jake probably isn't exactly in the poor house, but I doubt that he has the personal capital available to do a complete deal at a top-5 level 100% out of his back pocket. Maybe I'm wrong about that. At any rate...I hope Jake can find somebody to get him into the show this year on a bike that has the performance he's used to and deserves.

He's been crap-talked here by a lot of people for his results while being on a major team...and I can say that I've done some of that too, but I think Jake deserves a second chance.

Anybody hear anything positive about this lately?
|
hvaughn88
11/11/2014 9:23am
I'm just reading between the lines from the interviews he's done this past year or so, but I get the impression he's not going to do a deal unless it's on top notch equipment.
nytsmaC
11/11/2014 9:38am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 9:38am
I wish Jake the best and maybe he's been busy doing something this off-season behind the scenes but to the casual observer like me it seems like he's waiting for a ride to fall into his lap, and those deals don't seem to happen like they used to.. At least not with a championship caliber team. Hopefully something opens up for him.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
11/11/2014 9:44am
I will speculate that he would be a front runner for a fill in ride.

The shitty thing about SX that many get injured unfortunately.
Dx3moto
11/11/2014 9:47am
I don't know Jake personally so I have no insight on what situation he's in, but he hasn't seemed too excited the past few years. I know he's been living in Villopoto's shadow over at Kawasaki, but every interview or podium speech he doesn't seem very enthusiastic and talks a lot about the negatives more than the positives. Without any disrespect, I think he needs a mental couch before he is given another shot at a factory team, if that ever happens. Look at Kyle Chisholm, at one time he had top 5 potential as well, and look at him now (Once again, no disrespect, results don't lie).

The Shop

Cygnus
11/11/2014 9:49am
If anyone needs a couple rounds of ped's it's JW. He just seems to small to me to be effective on the heavy 450. His 250 days he was pretty badass.
Flatliner
11/11/2014 9:53am
Cygnus wrote:
If anyone needs a couple rounds of ped's it's JW. He just seems to small to me to be effective on the heavy 450. His 250...
If anyone needs a couple rounds of ped's it's JW. He just seems to small to me to be effective on the heavy 450. His 250 days he was pretty badass.
His factory bike probably wasn't all that heavy.
bd
11/11/2014 11:27am
Dx3moto wrote:
I don't know Jake personally so I have no insight on what situation he's in, but he hasn't seemed too excited the past few years. I...
I don't know Jake personally so I have no insight on what situation he's in, but he hasn't seemed too excited the past few years. I know he's been living in Villopoto's shadow over at Kawasaki, but every interview or podium speech he doesn't seem very enthusiastic and talks a lot about the negatives more than the positives. Without any disrespect, I think he needs a mental couch before he is given another shot at a factory team, if that ever happens. Look at Kyle Chisholm, at one time he had top 5 potential as well, and look at him now (Once again, no disrespect, results don't lie).
From what I have seen from interviews and projects, I agree. His emotional intelligence has limited his growth. He does not believe he is a top 5 rider. He has the talent - always seems to ride well in Vegas and was fast as anyone in 250F class. I hope he figures it out.
Sandberm
11/11/2014 11:41am
Dx3moto wrote:
I don't know Jake personally so I have no insight on what situation he's in, but he hasn't seemed too excited the past few years. I...
bd wrote:
From what I have seen from interviews and projects, I agree. His emotional intelligence has limited his growth. He does not believe he is a top...
From what I have seen from interviews and projects, I agree. His emotional intelligence has limited his growth. He does not believe he is a top 5 rider. He has the talent - always seems to ride well in Vegas and was fast as anyone in 250F class. I hope he figures it out.
Its comical really, Weimers negative attitude. I hate to say it but...I look forward to his post race interviews with Mathess. There funny in a self depricating way.

Dx3moto brought up Kyle Chisolm and how he thinks he and Weimer need a mental coach. If you look back at the NASTY injuries Kyle had a couple years ago...right when he looked like he was ready to be a fifth place guy, its understandable why hes had such a hard time returning to that level.

Also, Weimers new start last year with Randy Lawrence never really got off the ground with his injury at A1 basically screwing his sx series. And that shot he took from Malcolm at Highpoint,OUCH.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
11/11/2014 11:56am
Go buy a bike like the rest of us and F-ing race! Jeezus...
Dx3moto
11/11/2014 11:57am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 11:58am
Sandberm wrote:
Its comical really, Weimers negative attitude. I hate to say it but...I look forward to his post race interviews with Mathess. There funny in a self...
Its comical really, Weimers negative attitude. I hate to say it but...I look forward to his post race interviews with Mathess. There funny in a self depricating way.

Dx3moto brought up Kyle Chisolm and how he thinks he and Weimer need a mental coach. If you look back at the NASTY injuries Kyle had a couple years ago...right when he looked like he was ready to be a fifth place guy, its understandable why hes had such a hard time returning to that level.

Also, Weimers new start last year with Randy Lawrence never really got off the ground with his injury at A1 basically screwing his sx series. And that shot he took from Malcolm at Highpoint,OUCH.
I think Weimer needs a mental couch, not Kyle Chisholm. I compared him to Kyle Chisholm simply based on not finding factory rides anymore.
SquidBro
11/11/2014 12:05pm
I think some of the bros on here need a mental coach
PastranaWho
11/11/2014 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 12:07pm
Can he ride a 250? pointed out?
Titan1
11/11/2014 12:06pm
I think if Weimer had the exact same results he's had the past two years...but was always smiley and happy and upbeat and positive (ala Andrew Short)...he'd have a ride lined up-and probably a factory ride. Attitude matters!
hvaughn88
11/11/2014 12:14pm
Dx3moto wrote:
bd wrote:
From what I have seen from interviews and projects, I agree. His emotional intelligence has limited his growth. He does not believe he is a top...
Sandberm wrote:
Its comical really, Weimers negative attitude. I hate to say it but...I look forward to his post race interviews with Mathess. There funny in a self...

I actually don't get the impression that he has a negative attitude. He just seems to be more "aware" of what's going on than other riders. I hate to make the leap that he's smarter than other riders, because I don't actually know. But I'll say that he "appears" to be more intelligent than a lot of the field. I think we can all agree, at some level, that being smart isn't necessarily a positive trait for a motocross racer.
Rdubs19
11/11/2014 12:26pm
True, but even that paradoxical hinderence can be overcome by attitude. Adam Cianviarulo is easily more intelligent than most pros, is pribably aware of it, and still wins vecause of a killer attitude. Ken Roczen also comes of as ptobably having a higher IQ than most of his competitors, altbough that's more of a gut feeling I get. But yes if left unchecked higher intelligence absolutely can and does have an adverse effect on a motocross racer.
Rdubs19
11/11/2014 12:28pm
Sorry for so many misspellings, I need a new phone this screen is cracked up like a bad neighborhood
pacman00
11/11/2014 12:34pm
its not that he doesnt believe hes a top 5 rider. he doesnt wanna push over what limits he set, because even if he did it will just get him in the mix and still will not get him wins. and he wont get paid any more for riding over his current set limits, his words not mine. that was a few years ago though.
500guy
11/11/2014 12:35pm
Weimer is as talented as any of them, He's had many chances and for what ever reason, He's not produced great results.

Now it's his turn to take a chance and spend some of the money he has made or keep it and try something else, it sucks but can anyone expect money guy's just to throw it around for sub par results ?
11/11/2014 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 12:38pm
I think a lot of people like Weimer, it's not an attitude thing. He just hasn't had the results, and hasn't really shown many signs that he can contend the last few seasons. He's been injured and it's unfortunate for him. I hope he can prove some people wrong but I don't have much confidence in him at this point. Seems like he has regressed from his first few years on the 450 but injuries probably have a lot to do with that.

Does he deserve not having a ride at all? Hell no, and he probably is a little overqualified to be one some of the privateer teams. It sucks how that works. My point is its hard to justify giving him a factory ride, or a really good ride on one of the few support teams. If he can get out and win some heat races and be in the 5-10 range every night he will get a fill in ride, but man the field stacked and it's going to be tough.

Short is not a good guy to compare him to, he's been consistently around the top 5 for years now, except his year he was on the 350. As long as your not an awful guy to work with then I don't think attitude means a whole lot. Just my opinion though. It's about results.
500guy
11/11/2014 12:42pm
I think a lot of people like Weimer, it's not an attitude thing. He just hasn't had the results, and hasn't really shown many signs that...
I think a lot of people like Weimer, it's not an attitude thing. He just hasn't had the results, and hasn't really shown many signs that he can contend the last few seasons. He's been injured and it's unfortunate for him. I hope he can prove some people wrong but I don't have much confidence in him at this point. Seems like he has regressed from his first few years on the 450 but injuries probably have a lot to do with that.

Does he deserve not having a ride at all? Hell no, and he probably is a little overqualified to be one some of the privateer teams. It sucks how that works. My point is its hard to justify giving him a factory ride, or a really good ride on one of the few support teams. If he can get out and win some heat races and be in the 5-10 range every night he will get a fill in ride, but man the field stacked and it's going to be tough.

Short is not a good guy to compare him to, he's been consistently around the top 5 for years now, except his year he was on the 350. As long as your not an awful guy to work with then I don't think attitude means a whole lot. Just my opinion though. It's about results.
Over qualified is a Term Educated People use who don't really want to work.

There is no such thing as Over Qualified.
djc
11/11/2014 12:54pm
I think he got his second chance when kawi gave him another contract. He had a horrible season last year and other riders that did or finished where he may have don't have rides either. If I had a pick between mookie and weimer and hill or tickle. I'm going mookie then tickle. Only hecwuse weimer is too injury prone r it seems. Not because of lack of talent. No offense to him but I find it hard to believe top equipment is going to get him any different result at the moment. Like someone else said I am sure he is first in line for a fill in ride
davistld01
11/11/2014 12:59pm
Mookie got a Geico ride dropped in his lap because he spent his own money (well, some any way...) and went to the Red Bull Straight Rhythm and MEC events, and rode them both balls to the wall. Why? He needed to do all he could to attract sponsors for 2015. I know Weimer raced MEC with some help from Mitch Payton & the guys who help Nick Wey (might be wrong)...but he didn't seem to pull the trigger like Malcolm. Seems to me that if he had just decided to give it all he had he might have a ride by now like Malcolm.

Just my opinion.
11/11/2014 1:07pm
Just a fans opinion, but he's been on the Factory Connections Honda team, PC Kawasaki, and Factory Kawasaki.
He trained at RV's house, under Aldon Baker on a bike that won championship after championship.
If I'm a team manager I look at all of that and add in the fact that he doesn't seem to want to push his limits if he's not 100%, healthy, something very few athletes ever are, and wonder if I can actually help him do better or if he's tapped his potential.

davistld01
11/11/2014 1:26pm
Just a fans opinion, but he's been on the Factory Connections Honda team, PC Kawasaki, and Factory Kawasaki. He trained at RV's house, under Aldon Baker...
Just a fans opinion, but he's been on the Factory Connections Honda team, PC Kawasaki, and Factory Kawasaki.
He trained at RV's house, under Aldon Baker on a bike that won championship after championship.
If I'm a team manager I look at all of that and add in the fact that he doesn't seem to want to push his limits if he's not 100%, healthy, something very few athletes ever are, and wonder if I can actually help him do better or if he's tapped his potential.

Hard word...but probably a true one.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
11/11/2014 1:48pm
Brad460 wrote:
I hardly think the bike that he'd want to ride (for a shot at being competitive), and the bike that anyone here would buy and ride would be anywhere in the same ballpark, pricewise.

Then you rebuild it from the ground up after every race.
hvaughn88
11/11/2014 1:49pm
Just a fans opinion, but he's been on the Factory Connections Honda team, PC Kawasaki, and Factory Kawasaki. He trained at RV's house, under Aldon Baker...

I like weimer, but I don't find anything wrong with what you said.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
11/11/2014 2:13pm
Brad460 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I hardly think the bike that he'd want to ride (for a shot at being competitive), and the bike that anyone here would buy and ride...
I hardly think the bike that he'd want to ride (for a shot at being competitive), and the bike that anyone here would buy and ride would be anywhere in the same ballpark, pricewise.

Then you rebuild it from the ground up after every race.
I guess he can just go be a farmer then.
Forty
11/11/2014 2:15pm
His average finish the last 2 years is 12th. Coincidence?

His 2012 results bought him the contract extension, it has been rough for Jake since.

His poor performance and the high level of talent in the top 10 shuffled him backwards.

It isn't easier now. He will be fortunate to get a ride for 2015. He's a smart guy, maybe he can be a team manager, but his factory days are done.
11/11/2014 2:23pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 2:26pm
500guy wrote:
Over qualified is a Term Educated People use who don't really want to work.

There is no such thing as Over Qualified.
I didn't mean overqualified as turning a job down, I meant overqualified as in not being considered. Its a real thing, I don't want to invest in a guy who can get a much better job a month down the road before my investment pays off.

Do you hire a guy who made 125 k at his last job at a huge company for 10 years and has been out of work for two weeks and your only offering him 60k? Or do you hire a younger, hungrier, less experienced guy with great references that will stay long enough for your investment to pay off?

FYI, this is for my overqualified point not necassarily applies to Weimer but I could see a low budget team take this into consideration. He could get two podiums and be off for a fill in ride and you're left with two podiums worth of exposure, less money in your pocket, and an empty spot in the semi.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
11/11/2014 2:25pm
lostboy819 wrote:
I guess he can just go be a farmer then.
Or maybe he could sharpen up his game and be a poster here.

I don't think his choices are either/or.

Post a reply to: Weimer

The Latest