Weight difference between non-titanium and titanium equipped bike

Related:
Create New Tag

5/31/2018 9:39 AM

I was always wondering how much titanium equipped bike is lighter than the stock bike? I'm only talking about the bolts, axles and that stuff...

My guess is that titanium saves up to 5 pounds? And the rest of titanium goods (exhaust...) is another 5 pounds?

How much does the titanium bolts, axles save weight

View Results

|

5/31/2018 9:41 AM

$3000 to gain a couple pounds less or a $3 ex-lax shooter to lose a couple pounds!

|

5/31/2018 9:46 AM

I know how expensive it is, but was just wondering what the real difference is.. Every video of a pro bike always mention titanium goods, so I was just thinking how much weight titanium parts really shave off

|

5/31/2018 9:50 AM

Aluminum is lighter than titanium. Curious to know why one would spend all that money on titanium if it doesn't lighten anything up. Seems like a waste of cash.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/31/2018 9:52 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Aluminum is lighter than titanium. Curious to know why one would spend all that money on titanium if it doesn't lighten anything up. Seems like a waste of cash.

Yes and aluminum is weaker than steel, ti is lighter than steel and stronger. Hence the cost.

Aluminum can be used for body work fasterners but anything structural or needing actual strength has to be steel or ti.

|

5/31/2018 9:53 AM

Not enough weight difference to justify the money to me. Just my opinion. $30 a month for a gym membership that makes a much bigger difference

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/31/2018 10:03 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Not enough weight difference to justify the money to me. Just my opinion. $30 a month for a gym membership that makes a much bigger difference

Agreed, but for those who can afford it, more power to them. A lighter bike is a better/funner bike. I won’t spend money on titanium stuff but if I came across a smoking deal on it I’d consider it.

The gym argument doesn’t hold weight, a guy can always do both, don’t have to choose one or the other. Obviously being in shape is more important than having a trick lightweight bike.

|

5/31/2018 10:04 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Some teams have used aluminum fasteners for non-major weight bearing locations...such as plastic but you can't use them in stress areas such as engine mounts, clamp bolts, pivot locations and throughout the engine.

|

5/31/2018 10:05 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

ML512 wrote:

Some teams have used aluminum fasteners for non-major weight bearing locations...such as plastic but you can't use them in stress areas such as engine mounts, clamp bolts, pivot locations and throughout the engine.

Bingo

|

5/31/2018 10:22 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:

Agreed, but for those who can afford it, more power to them. A lighter bike is a better/funner bike. I won’t spend money on titanium stuff but if I came across a smoking deal on it I’d consider it.

The gym argument doesn’t hold weight, a guy can always do both, don’t have to choose one or the other. Obviously being in shape is more important than having a trick lightweight bike.

You're last sentence was what I was getting at. I doubt most people could even tell the difference in weight from regular bolts and axles to ti. I guess if it helps them mentally than good for them! For me though, I wouldn't notice the difference on the bike, but I know I would in my wallet lol

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/31/2018 10:25 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

nytsmaC wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

You're last sentence was what I was getting at. I doubt most people could even tell the difference in weight from regular bolts and axles to ti. I guess if it helps them mentally than good for them! For me though, I wouldn't notice the difference on the bike, but I know I would in my wallet lol

Live and let live. How many need anything more than an 08 250f and yet are on 18 450s with exhaust clamps a-kit etc

|

5/31/2018 10:49 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

Live and let live. How many need anything more than an 08 250f and yet are on 18 450s with exhaust clamps a-kit etc

Ya that's a good point

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

5/31/2018 11:11 AM

I’ve been told it changes the way the bike feels. Different flex or chassis feeling.

|

5/31/2018 11:34 AM

Wouldn’t do me any good lol could “Ti” a naked midget to the bottom of my bike, and I’d prob just think I was a little off that day laughing laughing

|

5/31/2018 1:00 PM

Its Ti parts coupled with all other weight shavings that contribute to the overall weight loss of the bike.

I’ve even heard of factories using the thinnest decals possible just to save a few grams.

|

5/31/2018 1:04 PM

calcoast wrote:

Its Ti parts coupled with all other weight shavings that contribute to the overall weight loss of the bike.

I’ve even heard of factories using the thinnest decals possible just to save a few grams.

Eric Kehoe told me that Honda cut the numbers out of the backgrounds because it saved weight.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

5/31/2018 1:16 PM

Isn't a full ti kit for a bike like 10 Gs? or 3 like mentioned in this thread

|

5/31/2018 3:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2018 3:45 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

ML512 wrote:

stillwelding wrote:

Bingo

Did someone mention custom machined 7075 pinch bolts?

Photo

|

5/31/2018 4:32 PM

I saw a Supercross qualifier this year wherein somebody beat the other guy out by 1/100th of a second. Power to weight ratio certainly played a part in that finish. If you are serious, race at the highest levels and can afford it, why wouldn't you use Ti?

For most of us, the difference wouldn't be noticeable or relevant.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

5/31/2018 4:42 PM

Outside of the shock spring, the only thing that really amounts to much of a difference would be the axles, engine mounts, and linkage bolts but even then you’re only talking about a few pounds. I’ve been told some guys/teams won’t run ti axles because of bad experiences with ti breaking in critical stress areas. I think the factories run so much ti just because they can and it looks better. I’ve got a bike with full ti and it certainly looks good!

|

6/1/2018 5:13 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Eric Kehoe told me that Honda cut the numbers out of the backgrounds because it saved weight.

Rockstar Husqvarna teams do that in MXGP and AMA also.

|

6/1/2018 5:22 AM

The price!!!

|

6/1/2018 3:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2018 3:57 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

Yes and aluminum is weaker than steel, ti is lighter than steel and stronger. Hence the cost.

Aluminum can be used for body work fasterners but anything structural or needing actual strength has to be steel or ti.

ti is better to replace steel parts such as bolts, axles etc places where al is not suitable..
|

6/2/2018 7:05 PM

There are several companies offering Ti hardware. Prices vary, but if you’re shopping at the right places, you can do an entire bike for $2000. Or you can go to MetTec and give them $5000 for the same thing.

But there’s no denying that they look good, especially if you are swapping out the grey KTM bolts. Does it make me go faster ? He’ll NO, but they will not round off and they do give a bike that “Factory Look”.
Photo
Photo

|

6/2/2018 8:20 PM

If you got the money, do it! As for magically making you any better? Ha

|

6/3/2018 5:12 AM

nytsmaC wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

yz133rider wrote:

Yep. The RMZ was a great bike 8 years ago. Not sure how people feel like it's all of a sudden a POS

Yes electric start would be good

|

6/3/2018 5:21 AM

ML512 wrote:

stillwelding wrote:

Bingo

newmann wrote:

Did someone mention custom machined 7075 pinch bolts?

Photo

Would be interesting to see if 7068 would be ok to use in more structural areas.

|

6/3/2018 5:28 AM

here's a quick read on anyone interested in Ti and alum comparisons .

https://precisionarmament.com/tennalum-7068-aluminum-alloy/

|