Weege just Hit the Nail Squarely on the Head...

CSAR FE
5/13/2020 5:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2020 11:25am
Say what you will, but I'd rather take my chances as a free man. If I die from getting the coronavirus, at least I died a free man. We're all going to die anyways.

I am in the fortunate position where I am still employed and able to pay my bills/put food on the table. There are millions who aren't, and I sincerely feel for these people. I feel for the people who will lose their business over this. From what I gather, we now have the medical capacity to deal with this. Keeping the economy locked down will cause more widespread pain and suffering in the long run than letting us out of our comfy little kennels and maybe getting sick. If someone wants to stay home under their own free will, then by all means do so. But don't make everyone else do it too.

No matter how you slice it, this situation is still a turd sandwich. But if we get to choose, as free men, how to navigate this crisis, I feel that is the condiment to put on the turd sandwich that makes it somewhat palatable, until something better comes along.

EngIceDave
5/13/2020 5:31pm
CSAR FE wrote:
Say what you will, but I'd rather take my chances as a free man. If I die from getting the coronavirus, at least I died a...
Say what you will, but I'd rather take my chances as a free man. If I die from getting the coronavirus, at least I died a free man. We're all going to die anyways.

I am in the fortunate position where I am still employed and able to pay my bills/put food on the table. There are millions who aren't, and I sincerely feel for these people. I feel for the people who will lose their business over this. From what I gather, we now have the medical capacity to deal with this. Keeping the economy locked down will cause more widespread pain and suffering in the long run than letting us out of our comfy little kennels and maybe getting sick. If someone wants to stay home under their own free will, then by all means do so. But don't make everyone else do it too.

No matter how you slice it, this situation is still a turd sandwich. But if we get to choose, as free men, how to navigate this crisis, I feel that is the condiment to put on the turd sandwich that makes it somewhat palatable, until something better comes along.

So, kill everyone else too

The recklessness of one can harm others

Why not get shit-faced drunk and going driving around town, because you're a "free man," right?
gasser303
5/13/2020 5:50pm
ti473 wrote:
This thread proves Weege's point perfectly unfortunately...
Couldn't agree more.... suddenly a bunch of dirt bike guys are infectious disease and mask authorities lol!!CoolCoolCool

The Shop

5/13/2020 6:00pm
number six wrote:
An illustrative example of why an education & a curious mind are of value.
The curious mind part far out weighs the education part, unless that education is self taught. Then they are equal again
CSAR FE
5/13/2020 6:02pm
EngIceDave wrote:
So, kill everyone else too The recklessness of one can harm others Why not get shit-faced drunk and going driving around town, because you're a "free...

Why not get shit-faced drunk and going driving around town, because you're a "free man," right?
Do you know what a Strawman Fallacy is?
Brtp4
5/13/2020 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2020 9:17am
You have your view...I have mine. I'm sure I can find articles and others that agree with my view.

I stand by my statement.

IDF, what you just said is exactly what cognitive bias is. Seeking out an opinion that supports your own preconceptions, instead of reexamining your preconceptions to see if they are correct.

Using cognitive bias to define social media while posting in a social media thread about cognitive bias is very meta.

BP
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
5/13/2020 6:50pm
EngIceDave wrote:
So, kill everyone else too The recklessness of one can harm others Why not get shit-faced drunk and going driving around town, because you're a "free...

Dave, my friend, I think you're way out of line here. I didn't get that at all from his post. Maybe allow for a differing of opinion than yours?
5/13/2020 6:52pm
Brtp4 wrote:
IDF, what you just said is exactly what cognitive bias is. Seeking out an opinion that supports your own preconceptions, instead of reexamining your preconceptions to...
IDF, what you just said is exactly what cognitive bias is. Seeking out an opinion that supports your own preconceptions, instead of reexamining your preconceptions to see if they are correct.

Using cognitive bias to define social media while posting in a social media thread about cognitive bias is very meta.

BP

I was making a point. ...and my response was in response to someone doing the same.

That said..., like it or not, we all do it to some degree.

I'm open-minded to a point...but once others common sense goes in the toilet....I'm out.

Most everyone here can pretty much agree that when Social Media is mentioned, we're talking about the big guns...

Farcebook
Twitter
Instagram

All of which are a cesspool in my not so humble opinion.

EngIceDave
5/13/2020 7:10pm
Personally, I consider most any form of online "speaking" publicly as "social media"

Insta, Tweeter, FB, forums

They're social forums
kkawboy14
5/13/2020 7:19pm
What is the average age of the people actually dying from this stuff?

By the way my doctor sent me to get tested yesterday at the drive thru testing!
Brtp4
5/13/2020 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/14/2020 9:18am
I was making a point. ...and my response was in response to someone doing the same. That said..., like it or not, we all do it...

I was making a point. ...and my response was in response to someone doing the same.

I'm open-minded to a point...but once others common sense goes in the toilet....I'm out.

Most everyone here can pretty much agree that when Social Media is mentioned, we're talking about the big guns...

Farcebook
Twitter
Instagram

I get exactly what you meant, see that FB is different than a forum, but technically they are both social media.

BP
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
5/13/2020 7:34pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
What is the average age of the people actually dying from this stuff? By the way my doctor sent me to get tested yesterday at the...
What is the average age of the people actually dying from this stuff?

By the way my doctor sent me to get tested yesterday at the drive thru testing!
Probably at least 70.
FahQ
5/13/2020 7:41pm
I went to the store to get meat, then I thought about what he said.
So I did the research.
I came home with vegetables
Everyone was pissed!
TeamGreen
5/13/2020 7:49pm
Ted722 wrote:
The more we understand this, the more we can adopt or reject world/national/state policy for our own local communities or personal situations. You either have full...
The more we understand this, the more we can adopt or reject world/national/state policy for our own local communities or personal situations.

You either have full trust in your government, you don’t, or are somewhere in the middle. And as many have said, there is no one size fits all.

This last few months has enlightened many on the impact our elected leaders can have on our daily lives. Not happy with it? Make a change. Move. Change jobs. Run for a local gov’t seat, etc. Life’s all about choices.

The very thing that makes the United States imperfect, makes it perfect. See the positive in this life changing event. Be better. Be a role model for your family or co-workers or your community.

And make choices based on common sense, as common sense wins over cognitive bias any day. It’s much more grounded in the real(your) world, the world you can control.
How is it even possible to down-vote this?
Laughing
mxaaron
5/13/2020 8:24pm
ti473 wrote:
This thread proves Weege's point perfectly unfortunately...
Nailed it.
mxaaron
5/13/2020 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2020 8:51pm
Weege spends 14 minutes talking about the divide we live within and Vitards spend 4 pages proving it.
5/13/2020 8:39pm
CM_84 wrote:
lol, Message boards are absolutely a form of social media. Here is the dictionary definition of social media: "websites and applications that enable users to create...
lol, Message boards are absolutely a form of social media.

Here is the dictionary definition of social media:
"websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."
Here I am sharing content and participating in social networking with you on a website.

Just because message forums aren't the same as Facebook, it doesn't mean they aren't a form of social media.

I agree that the smart phones and social media have caused some serious problems in the world.
but sorry pal. you are using social media too.
You have your view...I have mine. I'm sure I can find articles and others that agree with my view.

I stand by my statement.

It's not a view. It's a fact. Whether you choose to publicly admit you're wrong or not doesn't change that fact.

How's that for being social with media?
5/13/2020 8:50pm
I was making a point. ...and my response was in response to someone doing the same. That said..., like it or not, we all do it...

Farcebook
Twitter
Instagram

I’ve got bad news for you.....
jemcee
5/13/2020 9:10pm
I feel people use their social media incorrectly

I check out Facebook to see what my friends have posted.. It'll be posts about their kids or posts about music or something from their life, if I disagree with something they've posted, oh well they're my friends so whatever..

I check out Instagram to see what the assorted attractive females and some riders I follow have posted.. If I disagree with something they've posted oh well if I really disagree I'll unfollow..

If your Facebook/social media is a negative then I think you need to look at your 'friends' or the people you follow and how you react to it..

Obviously I see it's power but I feel that's up to us to control
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/13/2020 9:55pm
Graybeard wrote:
What I find ironic is that this cognitive bias argument seems to negate the process of gathering the facts / information and forming a conclusion all...
What I find ironic is that this cognitive bias argument seems to negate the process of gathering the facts / information and forming a conclusion all together (I'll call it "Critical Thinking"). If I listen to all sides, gather the info, then form my opinion or position on a matter based on that information and my interpretation of those facts, it seems here that I'm immediately considered biased one way or the other.
No, that's not necessarily so, unless maybe you're just speaking about confirmation bias, which is only one of many cognitive biases. Broadly, factoring in cognitive bias is more accounting for the tricks brains play in your critical thinking process. Sometimes what people think is critical thinking is really persuasive thinking rather than neutral fact evaluation. But if you want the right result, rather than just then result you want, you're better served running through those filters.

Right now everyone is being forced to grapple with uncertainty and incomplete information with a lot at stake.
Sierra Ranger
5/13/2020 10:27pm
Wisconsin Supreme Court just struck down that state's stay-at-home order. IMO this is the right decision against a massive abuse of power and authoritarian power grab that completely ignores the Constitutional rights of Americans. Sacrificing many for a few is not an appropriate usage of governmental authority IMO. Laws similar to the stay-at-home order could be made regarding almost any public risk. I am hopeful people are waking up to what is really happening here- rapid descent into a police state.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/politics/wisconsin-supreme-court-strikes…
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
5/13/2020 10:28pm

Farcebook
Twitter
Instagram

Do you ever shut up?
CSAR FE
5/13/2020 10:52pm
Wisconsin Supreme Court just struck down that state's stay-at-home order. IMO this is the right decision against a massive abuse of power and authoritarian power grab...
Wisconsin Supreme Court just struck down that state's stay-at-home order. IMO this is the right decision against a massive abuse of power and authoritarian power grab that completely ignores the Constitutional rights of Americans. Sacrificing many for a few is not an appropriate usage of governmental authority IMO. Laws similar to the stay-at-home order could be made regarding almost any public risk. I am hopeful people are waking up to what is really happening here- rapid descent into a police state.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/politics/wisconsin-supreme-court-strikes…
Well said. Be careful though, talk like that might give some folks on this forum an aneurysm 😉

tk2stroke
5/13/2020 10:52pm
stone881 wrote:
This is a war and you are living under a rock if you don't think it is. Do you think leftists want you to ride a...
This is a war and you are living under a rock if you don't think it is.

Do you think leftists want you to ride a loud, polluting ICE machine of any kind?
Do you think they want you to be able to ride that machine on a track near their home, in the woods far from their home, or anyone in between?
Do you think that they are ok with you hunting to support your family, defending yourself with a gun, or shooting targets?
Do you think that they want you to have a public voice if your message is in opposition to theirs?

Wake up, your way of life is at stake and this plandemic is another major step towards locking your ass down. The revered icon of the left is Bill Ayers, and other Marxists, and you are their enemy. And if you think that this is bs, consider the 10 planks of the Communist Manifesto and how far down that road the US of A is.

1. Abolition of private property in land and application of all rents of land to public purpose.
2. A heavy progressive or graduated income tax.
3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.
4. Confiscation of the property of all emigrants and rebels.
5. Centralization of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with state capital and an exclusive monopoly.
6. Centralization of the means of communication and transportation in the hands of the state.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the state; the bringing into cultivation of waste lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal obligation of all to work. Establishment of Industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the population over the country.
10. Free education for all children in government schools. Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, etc. etc.
Wow, we have our poster child for the fear of everything. What outcome do you really expect by taking such a fearful negative stance against other Americans? If we continue to think of each other as the enemy we lose and our adversaries win, it's really that simple.You are being a pawn in a much larger game to pit Americans against each other.

If you think like this guy, wake up. We can continue to be the most influential nation in the world and the beacon for hope, freedom and opportunity if and only if we work together and "compromise". If we demand our govt. officials to work together, then everything can be improved and fixed. The gap between poor and wealthy, school shootings while protecting the 2nd amendment, health care for all, intelligent and firm immigration policies, fair taxation for billion dollar companies and every other ailment in our society can be improved.

People who think like @stone881 are nothing but scared insecure individuals who would rather spread fear and hate instead of being a constructive force for change. They are in the camp of "let's blow everything up" instead of fighting for American values. The more we are divided the more our Govt. will be divided and that likely will lead to the demise of our way of life. Elect people who have integrity, character, ethics, morals and those who believe in truth, science, and justice. #soapboxend
CM_84
5/13/2020 11:03pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2020 11:11pm
stone881 wrote:
This is a war and you are living under a rock if you don't think it is. Do you think leftists want you to ride a...

Do you think leftists want you to ride a loud, polluting ICE machine of any kind?
Do you think they want you to be able to ride that machine on a track near their home, in the woods far from their home, or anyone in between?
Do you think that they are ok with you hunting to support your family, defending yourself with a gun, or shooting targets?
Do you think that they want you to have a public voice if your message is in opposition to theirs?

Wake up, your way of life is at stake and this plandemic is another major step towards locking your ass down. The revered icon of the left is Bill Ayers, and other Marxists, and you are their enemy. And if you think that this is bs, consider the 10 planks of the Communist Manifesto and how far down that road the US of A is.

1. Abolition of private property in land and application of all rents of land to public purpose.
5. Centralization of credit in the hands of the state, by means of a national bank with state capital and an exclusive monopoly.
6. Centralization of the means of communication and transportation in the hands of the state.
7. Extension of factories and instruments of production owned by the state; the bringing into cultivation of waste lands, and the improvement of the soil generally in accordance with a common plan.
8. Equal obligation of all to work. Establishment of Industrial armies, especially for agriculture.
9. Combination of agriculture with manufacturing industries; gradual abolition of the distinction between town and country by a more equable distribution of the population over the country.
10. Free education for all children in government schools. Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form. Combination of education with industrial production, etc. etc.
Yikes!!!

Lets see how many of those boxes the US tick.
1 out of 10. you have a graduated income tax. Which seems to work well.
I don't think we have to worry about the US falling to "The Reds" any time soon haha.

I did laugh at number 10 though " Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form" Are we saying we want children working in factories? I mean, I guess their tiny hands are good for getting into tight spaces. haha
FlaNard
5/13/2020 11:32pm
Just watched it. Very well put Jason.
Sierra Ranger
5/13/2020 11:38pm
stone881 wrote:

CM_84 wrote:
Yikes!!! Lets see how many of those boxes the US tick. 1 out of 10. you have a graduated income tax. Which seems to work well...
Yikes!!!

I don't think we have to worry about the US falling to "The Reds" any time soon haha.

I did laugh at number 10 though " Abolition of children's factory labor in its present form" Are we saying we want children working in factories? I mean, I guess their tiny hands are good for getting into tight spaces. haha
Talk about a strawman- that is an obvious artifact of the time, not any type of coherent proposal for the present. Honest debate, please.
CM_84
5/13/2020 11:42pm
stone881 wrote:

CM_84 wrote:
Yikes!!! Lets see how many of those boxes the US tick. 1 out of 10. you have a graduated income tax. Which seems to work well...
Yikes!!!

Talk about a strawman- that is an obvious artifact of the time, not any type of coherent proposal for the present. Honest debate, please.
Stone specifically said "consider the 10 planks of the Communist Manifesto and how far down that road the US of A is"
I was not strawmanning the debate, I was directly answering a question. the answer is 1 out of 10

Post a reply to: Weege just Hit the Nail Squarely on the Head...

The Latest