Weege and Langston GOOD -- Ralph and Jeff BAD

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2018 9:29 AM

Thought I'd keep the language simple for all the Vitard haters out there. These folks sure like to complain about people criticizing the awful announcing we've had to live with in Supercross for years now. If you genuinely like Ralph, more power to you. To all the snowflakes getting butthurt over calls to clip Ralph, I'll use what is apparently your favorite expression: STFU.

Weege and Langston killed it at RBSR. If you objectively think Ralph and Jeff would have been better, you're likely in a sunken place and unable to discern reality. And to anybody just itching to shoot the messenger here -- have at it hoss.

|

10/21/2018 9:39 AM

I think Ralph and Jeff do a good job for casual viewers or people new to the sport. I agree with you though, Weege and Langston make a great team.

|

10/21/2018 9:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/21/2018 9:55 AM

There are zero casual viewers yet that is what they cater to. Zero input on the bikes, trick parts, set ups, rider strategies, etc.

The camera coverage is horrible. Film the sport from the ground not a scissors lift. They make this sport look easier than mowing your lawn on TV.

Announcing - get rid of it. Lets hear the sound of the race machines. Make the viewer feel like they were there. That should be the goal of all sports broadcasts. We have social media for all the human aspects of life. Why duplicate it?

|

10/21/2018 10:08 AM

Weege and Langston are great, but why take shots at Ralph and Jeff? I enjoy both pairs of announcers and like the variety throughout the sport.

|

10/21/2018 10:19 AM

Jason's really good. Langston sometimes chooses words or phrases that don't compute. Almost like he loses the original idea mid-sentence, but has to complete the thought, anyway. Ralph's annoying, but he's not going anywhere as long as it stays on Fox. A Weege/Emig team could be really good, I think.

|

10/21/2018 10:30 AM

Ralph is fine. Jeff sucks.

|

10/21/2018 10:32 AM

I love Weege and Grant. BUT, Lucas Oil Motocross and Monster Energy Supercross are two entirely different shows. They share Bondo but they do not share announcers. So, I'm not sure what the point is. I personally like Ralph and Fro. Do I think they are better for the hardcore fans like us, including myself? No, I don't. But Weege and GL will not be doing both series. We need two different broadcast teams. Sure, I want it more for the hardcore but just saying get Weege and GL is pointless. It's not happening. Not for both.

Both are great teams. Yes, Weege and GL are more for the hardcore like us but trust me, Ralph and Fro could be as well if they were directed as such. Or they could do what the NFL does and hire someone to feed them stats, info, etc.

My advice? Quit worrying about Ralph and Fro. They are pros and know what they are doing Instead, complain about their directives as well as the overall production. There is too much time taken on social media pics, Nascar relationship, very uninspired and uninformative Toyota segments (they pay so it's their call but make it more for the serious fan) and overuse of Spider Cam. Focus more on better camera angles, interviews w/mechanics in-race, closeups such as the camera work on Art's McGrath line, "As we look into the eyes of concentration", and overall not a show meant for the newbie. Reward your diehard fans with less of a circus and more of a solid sports presentation in stats and informed commentary.

It's the directive that is the problem, not the announcers.

|

10/21/2018 10:35 AM

The commentary falls in line with the 2 different aspects of our sport in many ways. I, personally, prefer Supercross but I do love both. But, in general, MX is considered for the hardcore and SX for the more mainstream as far as fan base. They commentators and their directives reflect the same thing.

|

10/21/2018 11:01 AM

I have to agree with the sentiment that there aren't many "casual fans," and some announcers don't keep it interesting for the regular viewers. Watch an NFL game sometime, their announcers always nerd out on coaching strategies and player positions ect. Is that overwhelming for new fans? Maybe, but that's what keeps it interesting when you've been watching for years.

|

10/21/2018 11:04 AM

I enjoy Ralph when he doesn’t dumb it down and explain everything as if the viewers are new to the sport, I like his energy and enthusiasm.

I’m not the biggest fan of Jeff Emig and Ricky Carmichael on the broadcast but it seems like the guys at Monster and FS1 are bringing up some good talent through the ranks like Blair and Alessi.

Ralph in the booth calling the race with Alessi providing color commentary and Blair as the trackside reporter would be an instant upgrade.

Daniel Blair is the best trackside guy in the sport.

|

10/21/2018 11:09 AM

Frank wrote:

There are zero casual viewers yet that is what they cater to. Zero input on the bikes, trick parts, set ups, rider strategies, ...more

I disagree with everything you said, for any and every sport. Can you imagine a NASCAR race or an NFL game filmed from the ground with no commentary? Talk about a snoozefest

|

10/21/2018 11:16 AM

Frank wrote:

There are zero casual viewers yet that is what they cater to. Zero input on the bikes, trick parts, set ups, rider strategies, ...more

Kelz87 wrote:

I disagree with everything you said, for any and every sport. Can you imagine a NASCAR race or an NFL game filmed from the ...more

I can only dream of such an experience. Being at track/field level. Hearing the engines, seeing the roost, hearing the players, etc. Opposite of snooze fest. I don't need anyone telling me whats going on during the event. I'm not that stupid.

|

10/22/2018 3:34 PM

I don't know man. I can't get hung up on it anymore I guess. Which leads me to believe its all at least passable. I agree Weege and GL are a very good combination. Probably the best since Art and DB. But Ralph gets a lot of shit for no reason IMO and I happen to like Fro. Different types of racing and different audiences to appeal to.

|

Are you smart enough to buy a bike that costs less, weighs less, makes more horsepower per cubic centimeter, can be rebuilt for recycled aluminum can money and is giggle inducing? It is hard to believe that the American riding public flunks this test en masse. How stupid are you?

10/22/2018 4:05 PM

Just watched the Peoria TT with Weege and Ralph commentating. Honestly I did not cringe even once. Weege was excellent as always and Ralph was actually quite good as well. I am confused as to why Ralph turns into a potato come SX time.

|

10/22/2018 4:13 PM

STFU

|

10/22/2018 4:16 PM

eGGz wrote:

Just watched the Peoria TT with Weege and Ralph commentating. Honestly I did not cringe even once. Weege was excellent as ...more

Been riding/watching moto for 33 years...what the heck is the Peoria TT? What am I missing? I hate missing things....

|

10/22/2018 4:18 PM

what i don't get is why Ralph and Jeff have to explain the sport every single broadcast. just stfu and talk about what is going on in the race.

when is the last time you heard an announcer explaining why there are 3 strikes to an out? ffs it's mind numbing

|

10/22/2018 4:19 PM

eGGz wrote:

Just watched the Peoria TT with Weege and Ralph commentating. Honestly I did not cringe even once. Weege was excellent as ...more

clinthadwin wrote:

Been riding/watching moto for 33 years...what the heck is the Peoria TT? What am I missing? I hate missing things....

Look it up on YouTube its like flat track with some jumps and more turns

|

10/22/2018 4:20 PM

eGGz wrote:

clinthadwin wrote:

Never heard of TT flat track?

|

10/22/2018 4:22 PM

I just wish supercross was back on ESPN where it fucking belongs.

|

10/22/2018 4:23 PM

eGGz wrote:

clinthadwin wrote:

zehn wrote:

Never heard of TT flat track?

lmao...nope. Outta the loop I guess.

|

10/22/2018 4:25 PM

eGGz wrote:

clinthadwin wrote:

Kx125rider wrote:

Look it up on YouTube its like flat track with some jumps and more turns

Just checked it out...looks pretty cool actually. Way more entertaining than classic flat track at the ol' fairgrounds.

|

10/22/2018 4:37 PM

Get over it.

|

10/22/2018 4:39 PM

Frank wrote:

4 strokes sound like shit. Have to go all 2 stroke.

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/22/2018 4:40 PM

Hold up i need a segment break to show you how these tear offs work.

|

10/22/2018 4:42 PM

eGGz wrote:

clinthadwin wrote:

How in the fuck can you not know what the Peoria TT is?

Thats like a car racing enthusiast asking what the heck is the INDY 500?

|

My post is my opinion. If you don't agree with it, I'm OK with it.

10/22/2018 4:53 PM

Sx should just hire Paul Malin and Daniel Blair. We wouldn’t have this “supercross announcers suck” thread every month.

|

10/22/2018 4:57 PM

Ralph sucks? I hadn't heard that. Tell me more.

|

10/22/2018 5:45 PM

Haha when Langston said
When your a top rider, you actually have to learn over time how to dismount. Yeah right, Stankdog practices how to RAG DOLL at least twice a week. What a joke.

|

10/22/2018 5:47 PM

Hallzilla wrote:

Haha when Langston said
When your a top rider, you actually have to learn over time how to dismount. Yeah right, Stankdog ...more

.......he learned the Chinese throwing star technique from GL

|