Weege-USA MXDN Disconnect

dkg
Posts
1772
Joined
9/12/2010
Location
Rancho Cucamonga, CA US
10/4/2017 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2017 1:15pm
Thankfully I heard on the MXDN review the topic of a disconnect between the teams and the fans on the importance of the MXDN. It seems that we as fans of the Sport place much greater importance on the MXDN than those in the "Industry". I understand the concerns from the teams and riders about how the timing of the event affects them and from a logistics perspective this makes sense. The problem here being that the teams and riders are not taking into account the priorities of their consumers the fans.

To me, MXDN is the single most celebrated event of the year. We keep hearing it referred to by most as the biggest event of the year. So, why does the "Industry" not satisfy the interests of the fans by making every effort to participate. Yeah, I get it, it is (1) inconvenient, (2) interferes with SX prep, (3) is too long after the end of MX, (4) costs to much, (5) I am not paid to ride there, etc.. All are valid issues, however, to me the fan, I think these should all be treated as a part of the business of MX/SX and not an excuse not to go.

How many here can honestly say they are not disappointed when their favorite rider declines to participate? Or their favorite brand does not encourage rider participation? Or their favorite team doesn't choose to budget for it? Or even broader their favorite company (energy drink) does not encourage participation in the MXDN. You have to admit, it negatively impacts your perception of the nonparticipant. Since so much of this sport is in reality Marketing and Name exposure driven, I fail to understand why deliberate actions are taken that leave negative feelings with the consumers ("fans") by the lack of MXDN participation.

Anyway, off my soapbox. I sure don't intend this as a reflection on this years team, the went, they did their best and should be thanked and supported. Frankly, the problem has existed a lot longer than just this year. Nor is this a reflection on anyone's level of patriotism. Finally, I sure don't expect any rider to go multiple years (i.e. year after year) without taking a break. But come on, Industry, meet the expectations of your "fans". After all it is the "fans" that make your existence possible.

|
Grieby54
Posts
2765
Joined
7/1/2008
Location
Castle Rock, CO US
10/4/2017 7:22pm
I wonder how many Kawasakis stayed on dealer floors because of Eli’s refusal to the MXdN.

I wonder how many Monster cans remained in the convenience store fridge due to his lack of participation.

Fans being pumped on a rider doesn’t pay the bills. Fans being bummed on a rider doesn’t make the rider’s paycheck any smaller.
kkawboy14
Posts
11100
Joined
6/5/2015
Location
TX US
10/4/2017 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 7:27pm
Seely paid his own way? That tells me all I need to know about that event!
Juice_Mann
Posts
386
Joined
12/27/2016
Location
MO US
10/4/2017 7:27pm
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
BobPA
Posts
7570
Joined
10/31/2013
Location
PA US
10/4/2017 7:35pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
I agree. I did not have a house full of people and two barrels of beer at my house for the des nations...

The Shop

agn5009
Posts
6703
Joined
6/8/2012
Location
State College, PA US
10/4/2017 7:35pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
Because they have a season package to watch it on?
yak651
Posts
5550
Joined
8/26/2006
Location
Appleton, WI US
10/4/2017 7:36pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
What is attendance of A1 in cushy stadium vs at last MXDN? Maybe A1 beats them, but doubt any other SX race does. Plus the crowd is there for the racing, not the scene. Why does the MX season have to end so soon? Give the racers a couple off weekends so they can recover and maybe then we wouldn't have so many riders burnt out at age 27...plus then can't use the excuse of long lay over from end of season to the MXDN
ando
Posts
1978
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Perth AU
10/4/2017 7:39pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seely paid his own way? That tells me all I need to know about that event!
Not sure what your point is but I'll bet there are plenty of riders from plenty of countries who pay some or all of their own way to race the MXdN.
Juice_Mann
Posts
386
Joined
12/27/2016
Location
MO US
10/4/2017 7:43pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
BobPA wrote:
I agree. I did not have a house full of people and two barrels of beer at my house for the des nations...
Haha exactly!
10/4/2017 7:45pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
agn5009 wrote:
Because they have a season package to watch it on?
As does Supercross but they still broadcast it on live television.
ando
Posts
1978
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Perth AU
10/4/2017 7:45pm
This may just be perception, but it seems that for riders in many countries the MXdN is seen as a rare opportunity to represent your country and compete against the world's best riders all in place, whereas a large portion of the riders/teams/factories in the US appear to view it as just another race if the financial reward isn't there they won't go.
mxb2
Posts
20327
Joined
6/15/2010
Location
Bowie, MD US
10/4/2017 7:46pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seely paid his own way? That tells me all I need to know about that event!
I doubt he.paid his own way. Hrc paid the tab.
Juice_Mann
Posts
386
Joined
12/27/2016
Location
MO US
10/4/2017 7:48pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
yak651 wrote:
What is attendance of A1 in cushy stadium vs at last MXDN? Maybe A1 beats them, but doubt any other SX race does. Plus the crowd...
What is attendance of A1 in cushy stadium vs at last MXDN? Maybe A1 beats them, but doubt any other SX race does. Plus the crowd is there for the racing, not the scene. Why does the MX season have to end so soon? Give the racers a couple off weekends so they can recover and maybe then we wouldn't have so many riders burnt out at age 27...plus then can't use the excuse of long lay over from end of season to the MXDN
Not exactly sure what half of your response has to do with my statement. The event seems bigger regardless of why the crowd is there or at what age the riders get burnt out.
10/4/2017 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 7:57pm
I hope the US sends their best riders when they can. But ultimately I don't give a shit. I'm going to watch and enjoy whether we send our A-team, B-team, or even no team at all. Great racing is great racing, with or without Team USA.

Since it was brought up: apart from being the first race of the season, I don't get the hype for A1. It's just 1 of the 17 races. There's nothing special about the race.
RangerLee
Posts
878
Joined
7/23/2013
Location
Spring City, PA US
10/4/2017 7:55pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
BobPA wrote:
I agree. I did not have a house full of people and two barrels of beer at my house for the des nations...
Wait what??? Two barrels of beer?

I will be awaiting my invite for the next A1! Guess I will bring either my smoked ribs or pulled pork.
Tbteam
Posts
2449
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Ormond Beach, FL US
10/4/2017 8:04pm
The fact that a motocross fan can state that A1 is bigger than the MXdN pretty much sums up the losing attitude that is pervasive amongst our "culture".

Patriotism, national pride and respect for your own country seem to be on a severe downward slide with the up and coming generation. So many signs point to an unnerving sense of "meh, who cares" syndrome.
500guy
Posts
11911
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
AZ US
10/4/2017 8:07pm
OP makes a good point, The fans want it , Why are they ignored ?

Here's 2 scenarios , RedBull we want you to race for us. Rider okay but I don't want to do the MXdN
Redbull = okay

or the second answer, You want our X million dollars we want you at that event too.
kkawboy14
Posts
11100
Joined
6/5/2015
Location
TX US
10/4/2017 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 8:11pm
500guy wrote:
OP makes a good point, The fans want it , Why are they ignored ? Here's 2 scenarios , RedBull we want you to race for...
OP makes a good point, The fans want it , Why are they ignored ?

Here's 2 scenarios , RedBull we want you to race for us. Rider okay but I don't want to do the MXdN
Redbull = okay

or the second answer, You want our X million dollars we want you at that event too.
OR Honda....."hey Seely, pay your own way"?


Risk the shot at the MEC $million to pay my own way? Simple answer for me!
DanDunes818
Posts
6574
Joined
10/11/2008
Location
Portland, OR US
10/4/2017 8:16pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
yak651 wrote:
What is attendance of A1 in cushy stadium vs at last MXDN? Maybe A1 beats them, but doubt any other SX race does. Plus the crowd...
What is attendance of A1 in cushy stadium vs at last MXDN? Maybe A1 beats them, but doubt any other SX race does. Plus the crowd is there for the racing, not the scene. Why does the MX season have to end so soon? Give the racers a couple off weekends so they can recover and maybe then we wouldn't have so many riders burnt out at age 27...plus then can't use the excuse of long lay over from end of season to the MXDN
Running a website, I feel you get a good look at what events are the biggest, and you are right, A1 is the biggest traffic weekend of the year on a consistent basis, but MXoN is #2 on a consistent basis above all other events. I would guess for Euro sites, MXoN is clear winner, though. World wide, they're probably about even. It amazes me that that in itself doesn't drive the industry into full participation.

As far as this year, though, American traffic for the MXoN was lower than it's been for us since 2012 (that was only our second year open as a website), so the lack of participation and in turn results definitely hurt US interest. Maybe therein lies the plan. If they don't participate, interest flutters and they can skip it without any recourse? That might be a little tin foil hat, but hey, it's Vital.
JMR1976
Posts
911
Joined
5/15/2015
Location
Aptos, CA US
10/4/2017 8:20pm
I’d like to see it written into the contracts. MXDN/MXON is the only MX event of the year that I am happy to pay $30 for the stream.

Pit Row

  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
wfo4ever
Posts
759
Joined
8/3/2014
Location
NC US
10/4/2017 8:42pm
I think older fans like the MXoN because they see it as patriotic like the olympics. Us old farts have seen all the ups and downs for the US team for decades at this race. New young fans I believe would rather watch SX in the states in a nice dome with seats if they even like motorcycles. Most could care less or don't even know what the MXoN race is. Also the number of new fans and new riders in this sport is dwindling and is only going to get worse. Watch the younger crowd at a race, they are more interested in playing with their smart phones than watching the race. They are looking down at their phones all the time wherever they are. Most are there to just party. Times are changing, so many things that were important for the older crowd are slowly fading away. The younger crowd could care less about those things or don't even know about it. This sport is going to see a drop in riders and fans in the future. Just look at Golf, Nascar, and many other sports that are loosing interest. I grew up on a very nice and popular golf course in Florida, it is now closed. Nobody plays golf anymore and the ones that did are dead now. Houses will be built on that property instead. Also did you know that even guitar sales are terrible, and companies like Gibson and Les Paul are really struggling. Kids don't want to learn how to play guitar anymore, it takes too long to learn. I have a friend that works for Gibson Guitars and she will probably loose her 30+ year job with Gibson at the end of this year. The younger crowd is changing just like we did different things than our parents did when we were younger. Ask a young person what they thought about "Tom Petty" dying. Most of them will not even know who you are talking about. R.I.P. Tom Petty.
Juice_Mann
Posts
386
Joined
12/27/2016
Location
MO US
10/4/2017 8:45pm
I hope the US sends their best riders when they can. But ultimately I don't give a shit. I'm going to watch and enjoy whether we...
I hope the US sends their best riders when they can. But ultimately I don't give a shit. I'm going to watch and enjoy whether we send our A-team, B-team, or even no team at all. Great racing is great racing, with or without Team USA.

Since it was brought up: apart from being the first race of the season, I don't get the hype for A1. It's just 1 of the 17 races. There's nothing special about the race.
I think a lot of the hype has to do with getting to see the riders on their new bikes for the first time (unless they race MEC) and just the unknown of who really will be the top dogs. I prefer MX over SX any day of the week, but I must admit I get most excited for A1.
ML512
Posts
13224
Joined
12/28/2008
Location
Wildomar, CA US
10/4/2017 8:55pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why...
I may be way off base, but I would argue that A1 is the biggest and most celebrated event of the year. There's a reason why the MXDN doesn't broadcast live on television.
yak651 wrote:
What is attendance of A1 in cushy stadium vs at last MXDN? Maybe A1 beats them, but doubt any other SX race does. Plus the crowd...
What is attendance of A1 in cushy stadium vs at last MXDN? Maybe A1 beats them, but doubt any other SX race does. Plus the crowd is there for the racing, not the scene. Why does the MX season have to end so soon? Give the racers a couple off weekends so they can recover and maybe then we wouldn't have so many riders burnt out at age 27...plus then can't use the excuse of long lay over from end of season to the MXDN
Atalanta does, by probably 15,000-20,000 people. Off the top of my head, probably eight to ten of the SX rounds match or beat a MXdN for in-person attendance...
ML512
Posts
13224
Joined
12/28/2008
Location
Wildomar, CA US
10/4/2017 8:57pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seely paid his own way? That tells me all I need to know about that event!
mxb2 wrote:
I doubt he.paid his own way. Hrc paid the tab.
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he was in about $10,000 out of pocket for the trip. I've heard similar numbers from other riders that have gone.
ML512
Posts
13224
Joined
12/28/2008
Location
Wildomar, CA US
10/4/2017 8:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 9:00pm
I've had J-Bone tell me when they took Barcia...for staff flights, lodging, food, rental cars, extra pay for days gone...shipping two complete bikes and parts, and other necessities...they were in over $40,000 outside their normal budget.

That doesn't include Barcia and his family's travel of course...just the team related stuff not including the rider.
mxb2
Posts
20327
Joined
6/15/2010
Location
Bowie, MD US
10/4/2017 9:02pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Seely paid his own way? That tells me all I need to know about that event!
mxb2 wrote:
I doubt he.paid his own way. Hrc paid the tab.
ML512 wrote:
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he...
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he was in about $10,000 out of pocket for the trip. I've heard similar numbers from other riders that have gone.
X2, no reason for hrc to pay for his family bills . Def should pay Cole's fees.
Sully
Posts
5558
Joined
8/24/2006
Location
JP
10/4/2017 9:04pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
I think a lot of the hype has to do with getting to see the riders on their new bikes for the first time (unless they...
I think a lot of the hype has to do with getting to see the riders on their new bikes for the first time (unless they race MEC) and just the unknown of who really will be the top dogs. I prefer MX over SX any day of the week, but I must admit I get most excited for A1.
I think it could be argued (at least from my standpoint) that the majority of the excitement surrounding A1 is more due to not having any consistent racing for almost 3 months leading up to it.
ML512
Posts
13224
Joined
12/28/2008
Location
Wildomar, CA US
10/4/2017 9:07pm
mxb2 wrote:
I doubt he.paid his own way. Hrc paid the tab.
ML512 wrote:
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he...
He didn't pay for his bike to get there, but Cole did pay for his and his families flights, hotels, rental cars etc. Osborne said he was in about $10,000 out of pocket for the trip. I've heard similar numbers from other riders that have gone.
mxb2 wrote:
X2, no reason for hrc to pay for his family bills . Def should pay Cole's fees.
They shouldn't have to, they already spend way more out of budget for an event the rider is choosing to do. Many of these riders have in their contracts a number events they can do outside of their race schedule per year where their equiptment is provided but any travel or extra needs of the riders are handled on their own accord.

The other countries federations take better care of their riders in this situation.
JB479
Posts
779
Joined
1/11/2012
Location
AU
10/4/2017 9:52pm
The motocycling federation here in Australia cut the funding for mxon. Gibbs and ferris did a few coaching clinics to help with the funding leading up to the event. Im sure both riders would still be out of pocket though.
Gukamonster
Posts
499
Joined
3/23/2011
Location
Gigantic CK
10/4/2017 9:55pm
ML512 wrote:
Atalanta does, by probably 15,000-20,000 people. Off the top of my head, probably eight to ten of the SX rounds match or beat a MXdN for...
Atalanta does, by probably 15,000-20,000 people. Off the top of my head, probably eight to ten of the SX rounds match or beat a MXdN for in-person attendance...
If Atlanta is doing only 15-20K then that is a humongous drop from what is was doing 2000-2012. The event used to sell out the Georgia Dome, 70,000 + people, most years well over 60,000.
10/4/2017 10:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 10:07pm
ML512 wrote:
Atalanta does, by probably 15,000-20,000 people. Off the top of my head, probably eight to ten of the SX rounds match or beat a MXdN for...
Atalanta does, by probably 15,000-20,000 people. Off the top of my head, probably eight to ten of the SX rounds match or beat a MXdN for in-person attendance...
If Atlanta is doing only 15-20K then that is a humongous drop from what is was doing 2000-2012. The event used to sell out the Georgia...
If Atlanta is doing only 15-20K then that is a humongous drop from what is was doing 2000-2012. The event used to sell out the Georgia Dome, 70,000 + people, most years well over 60,000.
He's saying Atlanta's attendance beats the MXoN attendance by 15-20k.

Post a reply to: Weege-USA MXDN Disconnect

The Latest

The Latest