Webb to KTM

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2018 3:31 AM

Looks like a done deal. Didn't see another thread yet so here...

https://racerxonline.com/2018/08/23/insight-wondering-about-webb

|

8/24/2018 3:36 AM

They've either got themselves a cheap deal of a rider to develop there, or an expensive dud. I hope it's the former.

|

8/24/2018 3:48 AM

If he can stay healthy, I think he'll do great with KTM. Should be interesting...

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

8/24/2018 4:33 AM

Not sure why everyone thinks Webb would be a cheap buy for KTM? He is only 2 years removed from being a 250 champ indoors and out, hes still very young, hes straight up podiumed in Supercross more than once and his points have been right there with riders like Wilson, Peick, Tickle, Brayton, etc.

|

8/24/2018 4:37 AM

Do you think the same thing is going to happen to Plessinger?

|

8/24/2018 4:42 AM

fort_knox03 wrote:

Not sure why everyone thinks Webb would be a cheap buy for KTM? He is only 2 years removed from being a 250 champ indoors and out, hes still very young, hes straight up podiumed in Supercross more than once and his points have been right there with riders like Wilson, Peick, Tickle, Brayton, etc.

I wonder if they mean "cheap" as compared to Tomac and Musquin? I think Webb is a podium contender both indoors and out who just didn't necessarily gel with Yamaha. Hopefully a new (different) bike and training program and elevate him to elite status on a 450.

|

8/24/2018 4:46 AM

fourfourone wrote:

Do you think the same thing is going to happen to Plessinger?

I don't... but you never know. Was Cooper on the "new generation" Yamaha 250 before moving up? Does Plessinger benefit from coming up on the newer 250 (make the transition "easier")?

|

8/24/2018 4:49 AM

fort_knox03 wrote:

Not sure why everyone thinks Webb would be a cheap buy for KTM? He is only 2 years removed from being a 250 champ indoors and out, hes still very young, hes straight up podiumed in Supercross more than once and his points have been right there with riders like Wilson, Peick, Tickle, Brayton, etc.

ga_pike wrote:

I wonder if they mean "cheap" as compared to Tomac and Musquin? I think Webb is a podium contender both indoors and out who just didn't necessarily gel with Yamaha. Hopefully a new (different) bike and training program and elevate him to elite status on a 450.

Yeah of course it's relative.

Barcia and him are huge names but i'd bet the house on neither's new contract being the most they'd made.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


8/24/2018 4:53 AM

I think a change of scenery will do him good, it will be kind of a fresh start for him. And the way things have gone for him the past 2 seasons he really needs it.

|

8/24/2018 5:09 AM

fort_knox03 wrote:

Not sure why everyone thinks Webb would be a cheap buy for KTM? He is only 2 years removed from being a 250 champ indoors and out, hes still very young, hes straight up podiumed in Supercross more than once and his points have been right there with riders like Wilson, Peick, Tickle, Brayton, etc.

IMO he is a 2nd rider, unless things improve dramatically this will never change

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

8/24/2018 5:11 AM

fort_knox03 wrote:

Not sure why everyone thinks Webb would be a cheap buy for KTM? He is only 2 years removed from being a 250 champ indoors and out, hes still very young, hes straight up podiumed in Supercross more than once and his points have been right there with riders like Wilson, Peick, Tickle, Brayton, etc.

shuggs wrote:

IMO he is a 2nd rider, unless things improve dramatically this will never change

2nd rider as Lechien was to Ward maybe. Bailey and Johnson... who was the 2nd rider there? I'd think of Webb as a possible 1B to Musquin's 1A.

|

8/24/2018 5:11 AM

I bet KTM is thinking this kid could be the future!

|

8/24/2018 5:12 AM

Will still be hovering around 7th place, hope they got him cheap. If not, good for Webb.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

8/24/2018 5:14 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Will still be hovering around 7th place, hope they got him cheap. If not, good for Webb.

Aldin will help calm him down! Look what he did with Anderson.

|

8/24/2018 5:16 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Will still be hovering around 7th place, hope they got him cheap. If not, good for Webb.

kkawboy14 wrote:

Aldin will help calm him down! Look what he did with Anderson.

Yeah, good point. Hope things change, be nice to have another contender.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

8/24/2018 5:32 AM

Not a Webb hater, however I think he is probably the most overrated rider in the class (on vital.. so take that for what it’s worth)

|

8/24/2018 5:32 AM

I kinda dig all the rider's simply because I love Moto. I enjoy watching a squid rip around. And I think we need some characters​ on the circuit like coop, but so far it's looking like he follows his own path. I don't think Marvin has forgotten the teasing on the start when J-mart was battling him for the outdoor title, which may make Marvin feel slighted, and him being told what to do 24/7 by Aldo and the man may be asking too much of his ego. I have mixed feelings about this though, I don't think he gave yammy his best 100% of the time. When you're drooling over other manufacturers scooters whilst being paid copius amount of money from another your flat out saying the bike I'm on sucks. I just can't blame the Yamaha at this point. The 450 and 250 are basically the same bike minus the cc difference as far as I know and the 250 isn't holding anyone back. Again, just my opinion. I'm not in the know, just how it looked to me through my quad-focals

|

8/24/2018 5:38 AM

I think things are about to get interesting! A healthy and confident Webb can run with anyone IMO... How many people have ever passed and dropped Herlings? That Charlotte race was memorable to say the least!!!!!

|

2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2012 YZ125 2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/



8/24/2018 5:41 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

I bet KTM is thinking this kid could be the future!

You're thinking of Justin Cooper. Not Cooper Webb.

RIP NYMotocross

|

8/24/2018 5:43 AM

Webb is a confidence rider. He's had a string of injury's that have killed his confidence. If he gets it back watch out.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Giant Stance 2.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

8/24/2018 5:54 AM

sgrimmxdad wrote:

I think things are about to get interesting! A healthy and confident Webb can run with anyone IMO... How many people have ever passed and dropped Herlings? That Charlotte race was memorable to say the least!!!!!

I always go back to this. I hope Webb can turn it around at KTM. I hope Roger, the bike, the team, and Aldon can get him to the mental place he needs to be. Seems like every time us North Carolinians get a "big timer" in the Pros it fizzles out. Hopefully Webb can break the curse!

|

8/24/2018 5:57 AM

kkawboy14 wrote:

I bet KTM is thinking this kid could be the future!

Donovan759 wrote:

You're thinking of Justin Cooper. Not Cooper Webb.

RIP NYMotocross

There went my morning coffee!

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

8/24/2018 6:02 AM

His rides in France and Italy for team USA is all I need to know. He gives a shit. You can't teach people to have drive and passion to win. That kid has it.

|

8/24/2018 6:07 AM

He’s a punk.

|

8/24/2018 6:08 AM

Markee wrote:

His rides in France and Italy for team USA is all I need to know. He gives a shit. You can't teach people to have drive and passion to win. That kid has it.

Had it. Let's see if he finds it again.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

8/24/2018 6:09 AM

sgrimmxdad wrote:

I think things are about to get interesting! A healthy and confident Webb can run with anyone IMO... How many people have ever passed and dropped Herlings? That Charlotte race was memorable to say the least!!!!!

TJMX947 wrote:

I always go back to this. I hope Webb can turn it around at KTM. I hope Roger, the bike, the team, and Aldon can get him to the mental place he needs to be. Seems like every time us North Carolinians get a "big timer" in the Pros it fizzles out. Hopefully Webb can break the curse!

It will be interesting too watch.
Look we're Barcia came back from!
I wonder though, will he ever win a championship like initially predicted. If he's what 22 he's still got a couple years to turn it around.. Back in the Rc Stew Reed Rd Rv crew they just straight up done well or dominated within their first 2 seasons.

|

8/24/2018 6:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2018 6:22 AM

Markee wrote:

His rides in France and Italy for team USA is all I need to know. He gives a shit. You can't teach people to have drive and passion to win. That kid has it.

BR8ES wrote:

Had it. Let's see if he finds it again.

Agree. He hasn't shown that passion the last 2 yrs.. He can't blame the bike since Barcia has been on the same bike getting podiums with good results. The kid has a huge ego & it could potentially be a situation like MA800 that going to KTM didn't produce the results. Time will tell if he listens to the man it could possibly turn his mx career back around.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

8/24/2018 6:23 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Will still be hovering around 7th place, hope they got him cheap. If not, good for Webb.

You might not be wrong.
There are what, 4 champion contenders then just in the 450 class of bakers riders? Throw in Tomac, Roczen, Ju. Hill, Barcia etc. It's not going to be easy for any rider to be on the podium.

|

8/24/2018 6:26 AM

Markee wrote:

His rides in France and Italy for team USA is all I need to know. He gives a shit. You can't teach people to have drive and passion to win. That kid has it.

BR8ES wrote:

Had it. Let's see if he finds it again.

H4L wrote:

Agree. He hasn't shown that passion the last 2 yrs.. He can't blame the bike since Barcia has been on the same bike getting podiums with good results. The kid has a huge ego & it could potentially be a situation like MA800 that going to KTM didn't produce the results. Time will tell if he listens to the man it could possibly turn his mx career back around.

Comparing the KTM of the Alessi era to now is a stretch.

|

8/24/2018 6:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/24/2018 6:33 AM

BR8ES wrote:

Will still be hovering around 7th place, hope they got him cheap. If not, good for Webb.

sbarrington314 wrote:

You might not be wrong.
There are what, 4 champion contenders then just in the 450 class of bakers riders? Throw in Tomac, Roczen, Ju. Hill, Barcia etc. It's not going to be easy for any rider to be on the podium.

Hope so... Maybe this change will get him to where he was and people think he should be. Biggest question is whether Webb sees himself there or cares enough.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.