Webb’s pass on Tomac = Penalised

3/16/2019 8:23pm
ok so I think we are all agreed it was an accident... unintentional... a great save... but: 1) why didn't he just let Tomac past and...
ok so I think we are all agreed it was an accident... unintentional... a great save... but:

1) why didn't he just let Tomac past

and

2) are we saying he could have passed him in that turn without cutting the corner?
agn5009 wrote:
Because it’s impossible to make a decision such as that in a split second. And he probably didn’t think it was going to be an issue...
Because it’s impossible to make a decision such as that in a split second. And he probably didn’t think it was going to be an issue. I sure didn’t when I saw it live.
Well if we are talking about 1) then yeah I think for sure he had time for that decision. It is a normal thing in the sport to pull over in case you have gained the advantage.. isn't it? He could even have done it at some point in the following section. He chose to risk it.

With 2) I don't see him making the time up entering the corner within the tuff blocks, which should be the key thing if it is under protest
SlasherMcGee
3/16/2019 8:24pm
agn5009 wrote:
I completely understand. Some of you dingalings want the AMA to start penalizing guys for unintentional mistakes/accidents.
Narwhal wrote:
Well, if that’s the case, then I can’t wait to start seeing this become the new norm on how to pass people
500guy wrote:
It's like saying you don't deserve a speeding ticket because you "didn't mean to speed." My gut reaction was he broke the rules and cut the...
It's like saying you don't deserve a speeding ticket because you "didn't mean to speed."

My gut reaction was he broke the rules and cut the track.
Exactly.

"Sorry officer, I was eating my big mac and wasn't paying attention to my speed. Have you ever tried eating a big mac and driving? It's not easy"
tingo
3/16/2019 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2019 8:26pm
Rules is rules. I can’t believe how many times “intent” is mentioned in this thread; it’s irrelevant. Coop should have had the wherewithal to back off and let Tomac go. Instead, he got squirrelly, jumped off the track, ran over a tuff block, nearly t-boned Tomac...and then completed the pass as if nothing ever happened. Looking at it objectively, he gained an advantage (he couldn’t have jumped that far inside of Tomac had he not cut the corner) and should be penalized per the book. I have zero confidence that’s what Gallagher will do, though.
agn5009
3/16/2019 8:25pm
jemcee wrote:
It's the fact that the accidental track cutting lead to a pass.. that maybe wouldn't have happened without the accidental track cutting I don't think they...
It's the fact that the accidental track cutting lead to a pass.. that maybe wouldn't have happened without the accidental track cutting
I don't think they should penalise him mainly cause it didn't seem to be a deciding factor in the race but if they did it'll bring the points closer, so I don't care either way haha
agn5009 wrote:
Again, so they want a guy penalized over an accident? Webb messes up, resulting in him losing control and being thrown into the berm. He spiked...
Again, so they want a guy penalized over an accident? Webb messes up, resulting in him losing control and being thrown into the berm. He spiked his brakes so he didn’t collide with Tomac. Tomac did a nice job of seeing it coming so he spiked his brakes as well. Both regrouped and exited the turn without incident. Nice job to both of them for being aware of the situation. So now it’s game back on. Webb passes Tomac and gaps him. End of story.
Woah! OK, let's try this another way. Say JH and AC are battling at some Euro track for the win. It's a back and forth battle...
Woah!

OK, let's try this another way.

Say JH and AC are battling at some Euro track for the win. It's a back and forth battle all race. They come into the last corner, a sharp left hand 90'.

JH is in the lead by a couple bike lengths as they had into the corner.

AC hits a square edge bump that sends him off track, cutting the track, and he's now ahead of JH. JH needs to slow up because AC damn near ran him off track as he was out of control, cutting through the giant GEARNE and IPONE banners blocking the fans view of the track.

AC takes the win by a bike length. JH is mad. Why is JH mad?

JH is mad because AC fucked up and his fuck up lead to his cutting the track, which inadvertently saved time, and gained an advantage.

So what are we(myself and others in this thread) arguing?

We are arguing the fact that the rule book clearly states you cannot cut the track to gain an advantage, and the same rule book DOES NOT have an exception to such rule stating it's OK to cut the track if you are out of control(because of said fuck up).

I'm not trying to be an ass here.. I hope you now understand where we are coming from.

To be clear, I'd rather have Webb win the title than the Frenchman.

I wouldn’t have an issue no matter who the rider is. An accident is an accident. I don’t want to see the AMA set the precedent that they’re going to penalize guys over clear cut accidents.

The Shop

NateDawg
3/16/2019 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/16/2019 8:30pm
agn5009 wrote:
Again, so they want a guy penalized over an accident? Webb messes up, resulting in him losing control and being thrown into the berm. He spiked...
Again, so they want a guy penalized over an accident? Webb messes up, resulting in him losing control and being thrown into the berm. He spiked his brakes so he didn’t collide with Tomac. Tomac did a nice job of seeing it coming so he spiked his brakes as well. Both regrouped and exited the turn without incident. Nice job to both of them for being aware of the situation. So now it’s game back on. Webb passes Tomac and gaps him. End of story.
Woah! OK, let's try this another way. Say JH and AC are battling at some Euro track for the win. It's a back and forth battle...
Woah!

Say JH and AC are battling at some Euro track for the win. It's a back and forth battle all race. They come into the last corner, a sharp left hand 90'.

AC hits a square edge bump that sends him off track, cutting the track, and he's now ahead of JH. JH needs to slow up because AC damn near ran him off track as he was out of control, cutting through the giant GEARNE and IPONE banners blocking the fans view of the track.

JH is mad because AC fucked up and his fuck up lead to his cutting the track, which inadvertently saved time, and gained an advantage.

We are arguing the fact that the rule book clearly states you cannot cut the track to gain an advantage, and the same rule book DOES NOT have an exception to such rule stating it's OK to cut the track if you are out of control(because of said fuck up).

I'm not trying to be an ass here.. I hope you now understand where we are coming from.

agn5009 wrote:
I wouldn’t have an issue no matter who the rider is. An accident is an accident. I don’t want to see the AMA set the precedent...
I wouldn’t have an issue no matter who the rider is. An accident is an accident. I don’t want to see the AMA set the precedent that they’re going to penalize guys over clear cut accidents.
Cutting the track is cutting the track. Intent does not matter. There is no exception in the rules for "accidents".

Please just read the rulebook because you're just making yourself look ridiculous at this point.
agn5009
3/16/2019 8:31pm
Narwhal wrote:
Well, if that’s the case, then I can’t wait to start seeing this become the new norm on how to pass people
500guy wrote:
It's like saying you don't deserve a speeding ticket because you "didn't mean to speed." My gut reaction was he broke the rules and cut the...
It's like saying you don't deserve a speeding ticket because you "didn't mean to speed."

Exactly. "Sorry officer, I was eating my big mac and wasn't paying attention to my speed. Have you ever tried eating a big mac and driving...
Exactly.

"Sorry officer, I was eating my big mac and wasn't paying attention to my speed. Have you ever tried eating a big mac and driving? It's not easy"
Those two comparisons are literally nothing alike. A guy driving a car while eating is engaging in distracted driving. He’s violating the law before he violates law number 2 (speeding.) A guy racing dirt bikes who’s completely focused on what’s ahead and simply makes a mistake is not even comparable to someone driving a car and breaking 2 laws at once.

Forty
3/16/2019 8:31pm
Webb’s pass on Tomac. He has gone on the inside of a tough block and passed Tomac. Was crazy lucky and a good pass. However, I...
Webb’s pass on Tomac.
He has gone on the inside of a tough block and passed Tomac.
Was crazy lucky and a good pass.
However, I see Kawasaki contesting the pass due to passing a rider when he has gone off track.
Webb was on the inside of a rough block and techniqualy off track.

Thoughts on if he will be penalised or not?
So Eli drops anchor in symbolic protest.
SlasherMcGee
3/16/2019 8:32pm
agn5009 wrote:
Woah!

agn5009 wrote:
I wouldn’t have an issue no matter who the rider is. An accident is an accident. I don’t want to see the AMA set the precedent...
Fair enough. You are clearly stating your stance is that track cutting, leading to advantages gained, is OK as long as the track was cut because a rider was unable to maintain control. I on the other hand, believe cutting the track is cutting the track, and should be penalized as such.

tingo
agn5009 wrote:
The AMA doesn’t penalize guys for accidents - guys go off track all the time and nothing happens. Penalties come into play when the accident results in you gaining an advantage. You realize how unfair that is to the other racers that didn’t mess up and cut the track, right? Why am I even explaining this? Certainly you’re trolling?
agn5009
ok so I think we are all agreed it was an accident... unintentional... a great save... but: 1) why didn't he just let Tomac past and...
ok so I think we are all agreed it was an accident... unintentional... a great save... but:

1) why didn't he just let Tomac past

and

2) are we saying he could have passed him in that turn without cutting the corner?
agn5009 wrote:
Because it’s impossible to make a decision such as that in a split second. And he probably didn’t think it was going to be an issue...
Because it’s impossible to make a decision such as that in a split second. And he probably didn’t think it was going to be an issue. I sure didn’t when I saw it live.
Well if we are talking about 1) then yeah I think for sure he had time for that decision. It is a normal thing in the...
Well if we are talking about 1) then yeah I think for sure he had time for that decision. It is a normal thing in the sport to pull over in case you have gained the advantage.. isn't it? He could even have done it at some point in the following section. He chose to risk it.

With 2) I don't see him making the time up entering the corner within the tuff blocks, which should be the key thing if it is under protest
If we’re going by the rule book then show me where it says if a rider gains an unfair advantage he can correct that advantage by later allowing the rider to pass him back.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/16/2019 8:34pm
agn5009 wrote:
Those two comparisons are literally nothing alike. A guy driving a car while eating is engaging in distracted driving. He’s violating the law before he violates...
Those two comparisons are literally nothing alike. A guy driving a car while eating is engaging in distracted driving. He’s violating the law before he violates law number 2 (speeding.) A guy racing dirt bikes who’s completely focused on what’s ahead and simply makes a mistake is not even comparable to someone driving a car and breaking 2 laws at once.

If you slide on some ice and rear end a car stopped at a light you will probably get cited for something (failure to operate a vehicle safely) even though it was an accident.
agn5009
3/16/2019 8:35pm
Woah!

agn5009 wrote:
NateDawg wrote:
Cutting the track is cutting the track. Intent does not matter. There is no exception in the rules for "accidents". Please just read the rulebook because...
Cutting the track is cutting the track. Intent does not matter. There is no exception in the rules for "accidents".

Please just read the rulebook because you're just making yourself look ridiculous at this point.
This is obviously a controversial incident that will have tons of differing opinions. You’re making yourself look like a fool by thinking you can gauge ones riding ability based upon an opinion. i mean, by your logic RC must never have won anything significant because he obviously didn’t have an issue with the pass Laughing
mxer807
3/16/2019 8:36pm
If it was a “not as popular” rider or slower rider who did it, they would penalize him. But since it’s a title contender and popular rider, there probably won’t be a consequence.
SlasherMcGee
3/16/2019 8:37pm
500guy wrote:

Exactly. "Sorry officer, I was eating my big mac and wasn't paying attention to my speed. Have you ever tried eating a big mac and driving...
Exactly.

agn5009 wrote:
Those two comparisons are literally nothing alike. A guy driving a car while eating is engaging in distracted driving. He’s violating the law before he violates...

LOL this is great.

OK, how about this.

I'm driving my car, paying attention to the road, my foot slips off the brake, and I blow a red light.

Can I say "Hi Officer, don't give me a ticket for that because I was trying hard and focusing but I made an honest mistake".

agn5009
3/16/2019 8:38pm
Woah!

agn5009 wrote:
Fair enough. You are clearly stating your stance is that track cutting, leading to advantages gained, is OK as long as the track was cut because...
Fair enough. You are clearly stating your stance is that track cutting, leading to advantages gained, is OK as long as the track was cut because a rider was unable to maintain control. I on the other hand, believe cutting the track is cutting the track, and should be penalized as such.

I can respect that. I just don’t agree. I just don’t want guys getting in trouble (penalized) for a racing incident which is clearly not intentional.
SlasherMcGee
3/16/2019 8:39pm
agn5009 wrote:
tingo wrote:
The AMA doesn’t penalize guys for accidents - guys go off track all the time and nothing happens. Penalties come into play when the accident results...
The AMA doesn’t penalize guys for accidents - guys go off track all the time and nothing happens. Penalties come into play when the accident results in you gaining an advantage. You realize how unfair that is to the other racers that didn’t mess up and cut the track, right? Why am I even explaining this? Certainly you’re trolling?
I think you hit the nail on the head. This guy is at troll level 1000 at we're all pawns in his chess game.

Well played agn5009. Well played.
3/16/2019 8:40pm
agn5009 wrote:
Well if we are talking about 1) then yeah I think for sure he had time for that decision. It is a normal thing in the...

agn5009 wrote:
If we’re going by the rule book then show me where it says if a rider gains an unfair advantage he can correct that advantage by...
If we’re going by the rule book then show me where it says if a rider gains an unfair advantage he can correct that advantage by later allowing the rider to pass him back.
Well now we are talking common sense...clearly if he allows the rider past then it cuts out any need for a protest

Are you saying you don't recognise this as a normal thing in both SX and MX?
agn5009
3/16/2019 8:43pm
Exactly.

agn5009 wrote:

LOL this is great. OK, how about this. I'm driving my car, paying attention to the road, my foot slips off the brake, and I blow...
LOL this is great.

OK, how about this.

I'm driving my car, paying attention to the road, my foot slips off the brake, and I blow a red light.

Can I say "Hi Officer, don't give me a ticket for that because I was trying hard and focusing but I made an honest mistake".

you won’t like my argument to that so I won’t even post it lol. Like I said, we disagree. No biggie.
agn5009
3/16/2019 8:46pm

agn5009 wrote:
If we’re going by the rule book then show me where it says if a rider gains an unfair advantage he can correct that advantage by...
Well now we are talking common sense...clearly if he allows the rider past then it cuts out any need for a protest Are you saying you...
Well now we are talking common sense...clearly if he allows the rider past then it cuts out any need for a protest

But what if Webb has let him by then passed him again a few turns later. Could they have protested and won?
Crush
3/16/2019 8:46pm
You’d assume we’d have heard some grumbling a of a protest by now anyways so it’s probably all moot.
3/16/2019 8:50pm
agn5009 wrote:
Well now we are talking common sense...clearly if he allows the rider past then it cuts out any need for a protest Are you saying you...

agn5009 wrote:
But what if Webb has let him by then passed him again a few turns later. Could they have protested and won?
So you are saying you don't recognise it as a normal thing.... or you are trolling

That of course is exactly what Webb should have done, and no, I doubt anyone would have protested... and if they had Webb would have clear defence
NateDawg
3/16/2019 8:50pm
agn5009 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
No, because he didn't pass him by gaining an unfair advantage. Also, he voluntarily relinquished any advantage he gained from the "accident".

Lol, this really isn't hard to understand.
marx41
Fantasy
904th
3/16/2019 8:57pm
I can’t believe you guys are still giving this guy the time of day. He’s clearly not going to get what you’re trying to say. He doesn’t even want to. Cooper could’ve cut 1/4 of the track because he got out of shape or something and he’d still be like “but it was an accident why should it matter!”
Mm471
3/16/2019 8:58pm
Docking a position would be more unfair than him jumping into that corner and a time dock won’t change anything, tomac got dropped
logan_140
3/16/2019 9:02pm
agn5009 wrote:
tingo wrote:
The AMA doesn’t penalize guys for accidents - guys go off track all the time and nothing happens. Penalties come into play when the accident results...
Didn’t make the pass til the exit of the corner. If you do anything you dock him 5-10 seconds
Jimmy638
3/16/2019 9:09pm
MxKing809 wrote:
It wasn’t planned, and there was no post there.....
"PASS HERE IF YOUR HELD UP"
carmfarm
3/16/2019 9:13pm
rehan53 wrote:
He made the pass after he got back on the track.
NateDawg wrote:
That doesn't matter. He still cut the track and gained an advantage in order to make the pass. He SHOULD be penalized. We'll see if he...
That doesn't matter. He still cut the track and gained an advantage in order to make the pass.

He SHOULD be penalized. We'll see if he is or not.
Lol
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/16/2019 9:30pm
Webb’s pass on Tomac. He has gone on the inside of a tough block and passed Tomac. Was crazy lucky and a good pass. However, I...
Webb’s pass on Tomac.
He has gone on the inside of a tough block and passed Tomac.
Was crazy lucky and a good pass.
However, I see Kawasaki contesting the pass due to passing a rider when he has gone off track.
Webb was on the inside of a rough block and techniqualy off track.

Thoughts on if he will be penalised or not?
Just...no.

After the race I mentioned to Coop that he'd really sent it in there. He laughed and said he was out of control.

3/16/2019 9:34pm
Those who think you can’t be penalised for cutting the track by accident may want to speak with Savatgy about East Rutherford 2017. Docked 5 places.

Post a reply to: Webb’s pass on Tomac = Penalised

The Latest