Webb’s dominance vs annihilation

BobPA
3/5/2019 6:28am
Kid Spam wrote:
Eli is riding around in mid pack, Anderson out, 94 is not 94, Musqusin was reaching brilliance with Dungey...but no more. Webb is not going to...
Eli is riding around in mid pack, Anderson out, 94 is not 94, Musqusin was reaching brilliance with Dungey...but no more. Webb is not going to be beaten by the current top 5. But it is SX. Staying upright is not a given.
biscuit11 wrote:
Eli has been fastest the last how many qualifying sessions? 11th to 1st in a tripple crown moto id say his speed makes him a threat...
Eli has been fastest the last how many qualifying sessions? 11th to 1st in a tripple crown moto id say his speed makes him a threat even with the deficit. Marv and Kenny came into this year with title expectaions and are a lot less likely to throw it away in an instant than Cooper is. Cooper is riding great no doubt, but the other guys know how long this season is. Also first year with Baker suprised nobody has mentioned maybe a burnout from an early peak. We will see. I have a feeling this is gonna get good. Remember Webb and Tomac at Daytona last yr? Also wouldnt be suprised to see Kenny throw an extra agressive pass when the time is right given their history. This is far from over boys...
Justin Hill and Deano have qualified toward the top as well, it is just practice. Baggett won the weekend he qualified 12th or so. We talking ‘bout (practice) qualifying.
deluxeman
3/5/2019 8:12am
Webb, or perhaps someone very close to him, must have read Ake's book. In it he states, 'The idea is to win, at the slowest speed...
Webb, or perhaps someone very close to him, must have read Ake's book. In it he states, 'The idea is to win, at the slowest speed possible.' Paraphrasing, of course.
Road racers do this all the time, get out front and control the pace.
barnett468
3/5/2019 8:18am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 8:21am
Gus wrote:
I’ve paid close attention to all of Webb’s win this year and have “worried” that he hasn’t crushed the competition. He hasn’t had that Roczen ‘17...
I’ve paid close attention to all of Webb’s win this year and have “worried” that he hasn’t crushed the competition. He hasn’t had that Roczen ‘17 A1 ride or the Tomac ‘17 Glendale. It has made me think is he just getting lucky? He has won in the last corner or by a corner. Then I got to thinking about his 250 rides where he won a lot but not by brutal annihilation. After listening to his interview with GuyB it makes me wonder that he’s not concerned about putting a minute on the field but rather the W’s in the win column. Webb has posted the fastest lap in several races and which shows his speed. He seems like he just gets in front and paces him self. Looks to be in control and just riding his own race and doesn’t care if he wins by 0.028 or 28.
"Looks to be in control and just riding his own race and doesn’t care if he wins by 0.028 or 28."

ummm...he couldn't possibly win by 28 seconds unless everyone behind him piled up. If you want to see someone win by a huge margin, look at some Bob Hannah or Marty Smith (125), or Jeff Ward (mini) races.

Gus
3/5/2019 11:31am
Gus wrote:
I’ve paid close attention to all of Webb’s win this year and have “worried” that he hasn’t crushed the competition. He hasn’t had that Roczen ‘17...
I’ve paid close attention to all of Webb’s win this year and have “worried” that he hasn’t crushed the competition. He hasn’t had that Roczen ‘17 A1 ride or the Tomac ‘17 Glendale. It has made me think is he just getting lucky? He has won in the last corner or by a corner. Then I got to thinking about his 250 rides where he won a lot but not by brutal annihilation. After listening to his interview with GuyB it makes me wonder that he’s not concerned about putting a minute on the field but rather the W’s in the win column. Webb has posted the fastest lap in several races and which shows his speed. He seems like he just gets in front and paces him self. Looks to be in control and just riding his own race and doesn’t care if he wins by 0.028 or 28.
barnett468 wrote:
"Looks to be in control and just riding his own race and doesn’t care if he wins by 0.028 or 28." ummm...he couldn't possibly win by...
"Looks to be in control and just riding his own race and doesn’t care if he wins by 0.028 or 28."

ummm...he couldn't possibly win by 28 seconds unless everyone behind him piled up. If you want to see someone win by a huge margin, look at some Bob Hannah or Marty Smith (125), or Jeff Ward (mini) races.

I didn’t say 28 seconds to be literal..... How about 0.028 or 10 seconds ?

The Shop

barnett468
3/5/2019 11:53am
Gus wrote:
Well that sounds far more realistic, but webb winning a supercross by 10 seconds still probably ain't never gonna happen unless there are problems with the other riders or bikes etc. Hannah, and Smith, and Ward have all won by more than 28 seconds at one point but that was outdoors, so it's not unrealistic for someone to do that again at some point but it's highly unlikely, however, if someone does, Herlings is at the top of the list to do it providing he fully recovers from his recent injury.
Gus
3/5/2019 12:06pm
Gus wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Well that sounds far more realistic, but webb winning a supercross by 10 seconds still probably ain't never gonna happen unless there are problems with the...
Well that sounds far more realistic, but webb winning a supercross by 10 seconds still probably ain't never gonna happen unless there are problems with the other riders or bikes etc. Hannah, and Smith, and Ward have all won by more than 28 seconds at one point but that was outdoors, so it's not unrealistic for someone to do that again at some point but it's highly unlikely, however, if someone does, Herlings is at the top of the list to do it providing he fully recovers from his recent injury.
The point of my post are two things. One being that I don’t believe that Cooper cares if he wins by a small margin or a large margin and the second being I believe Cooper goes just fast enough to win. I believe Tomac and Kenny feel they must crush the field.

IIRC there was a video showing Kenny at MEC, his 1st race on Honda. He said he wanted to crush them, wanted them to be scared. I believe that’s their mentality whereas Coopers more “a wins a win” and doesn’t ride over the edge.
3/5/2019 12:36pm
Gus wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Well that sounds far more realistic, but webb winning a supercross by 10 seconds still probably ain't never gonna happen unless there are problems with the...
Gus wrote:
The point of my post are two things. One being that I don’t believe that Cooper cares if he wins by a small margin or a...
The point of my post are two things. One being that I don’t believe that Cooper cares if he wins by a small margin or a large margin and the second being I believe Cooper goes just fast enough to win. I believe Tomac and Kenny feel they must crush the field.

IIRC there was a video showing Kenny at MEC, his 1st race on Honda. He said he wanted to crush them, wanted them to be scared. I believe that’s their mentality whereas Coopers more “a wins a win” and doesn’t ride over the edge.
Mmm, I'm pretty sure Webb is in the same boat did you not see him in 250f class? He crushed the field and enjoyed by how much too, I'd say he is far cockier than Tomac and KR too.

Eli is a confidence rider he can only ride one way which is at full guns blazing full momentum which is why he takes corners wide especially in MX so he feels like he's always on it, if that momentum isn't there he crumbles.

KR is doing the dungey which is understandable.

I think Webb is not at 100% confidence level yet this is first season where he's been good on a 450, he will improve on it.
drt410
3/5/2019 1:16pm
Kid Spam wrote:
Eli is riding around in mid pack, Anderson out, 94 is not 94, Musqusin was reaching brilliance with Dungey...but no more. Webb is not going to...
Eli is riding around in mid pack, Anderson out, 94 is not 94, Musqusin was reaching brilliance with Dungey...but no more. Webb is not going to be beaten by the current top 5. But it is SX. Staying upright is not a given.
biscuit11 wrote:
Eli has been fastest the last how many qualifying sessions? 11th to 1st in a tripple crown moto id say his speed makes him a threat...
Eli has been fastest the last how many qualifying sessions? 11th to 1st in a tripple crown moto id say his speed makes him a threat even with the deficit. Marv and Kenny came into this year with title expectaions and are a lot less likely to throw it away in an instant than Cooper is. Cooper is riding great no doubt, but the other guys know how long this season is. Also first year with Baker suprised nobody has mentioned maybe a burnout from an early peak. We will see. I have a feeling this is gonna get good. Remember Webb and Tomac at Daytona last yr? Also wouldnt be suprised to see Kenny throw an extra agressive pass when the time is right given their history. This is far from over boys...
No way. Kenny has thrown it away the last 2 sx seasons he raced. How is Webb, who never has, more likely? Hes winning by a small margin which means hes not over riding. The pace of the rest of the world class sx racers shows whats possible. Hes riding that pace but out front. When your riding much faster than all those top guys is when you get into dangerous situations riding on the edge. Hes not riding on the edge.
Johnny Ringo
3/5/2019 1:28pm
cameron96 wrote:
He gets outs front a rides a brick wall. His defence is the best I’ve ever seen. He can make a pass then instantly defend the...
He gets outs front a rides a brick wall. His defence is the best I’ve ever seen. He can make a pass then instantly defend the next corner. He wants to win and does just that.
CPR wrote:
" He can make a pass then instantly defend the next corner."
Cross jumping helps.
Learned that from his teammate I bet
rp031x
3/5/2019 5:37pm
Gus wrote:
You don't win 5 races by luck. And what about that race where he came through the back to catch and beat Roczen?

Post a reply to: Webb’s dominance vs annihilation

The Latest