Webb on Roczen and the mental side of the sport

Moto Nomad
5/6/2021 11:31am
Webb's approach seems pretty damn simple to me- try your hardest to the end of the race and don't give up. It's not rocket surgery!
davistld01
5/6/2021 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2021 12:38pm
Coop should go retro on his cap. Start wearing a bell hat like DeCoster used to wear. Coolest ever.
Coop would for sure look a lot more professional (IMO) if he’d untuck his damn ears. Virtually no other professional motorsport racer wears their team cap like that anymore.

But...He might just do it to be controversial.
Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1588th
5/6/2021 1:39pm
G-man wrote:
Yep agree with everything you said especially this: "He growing up at the Cianciarulo shadow." And I like AC, as he seems like a really cool...
Yep agree with everything you said especially this:
"He growing up at the Cianciarulo shadow."

And I like AC, as he seems like a really cool dude, but the fact remains that he had MOST of the publicity before they turned Pro.

I did a Poll on here awhile back when Coop was on the Racer X cover as Rider of the Year and I got blasted for it. Laughing

I wonder how many change their mind after a complete dominant display by Coop in the last race?

Yes Adam has a better personality and is a NATURAL in front of the camera, but the fact remains Webb is one of best Racers we have seen in recent years and would be more liked if he didn't tuck his ears in his hat. Wink

Anyone remember when Reed did the same thing early in his career and had the diamond earring?

Who knows maybe Coop will change his hat technique and suddenly gain thousands of new fans. Smile

Agree with you also.. Also a fan of AC ( I didn´t say it as a bad thing of AC)

I think later Webb will be more aprecciated it and will be missed.

This year without him would have been kind of boring.... Roczen and Tomac were traveling together at the beggining of the year and seem to be so nice to each other at the track also so Webb put a lot of spice this year which was great.

Kind of remind me of the Reed-stewart rivarly in a different way and different factors but still good to have a rivarly
Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1588th
5/6/2021 1:45pm
Cheers, First off Pourcel is one of my favorite riders and I am sure he went through hell to get back to where he did. I...
Cheers,

First off Pourcel is one of my favorite riders and I am sure he went through hell to get back to where he did. I think it is incredible all he accomplished after his injury.

Overall, I think Webb is better at limiting outside distractions, staying focused, performing under pressure, has more confidence, etc. His racing instincts for passing are top notch too. If that is what people mean by mental toughness, well then yes, I think Webb is more mentally fit. Hell, just to survive Aldon Baker's training program takes a lot of mental strength to stay committed.

I do think this championship did come down to who was mentally fitter and Webb showed us why he is the two time supercross champion.

With Ken, given his past and what I do for a living I can totally see why he may be struggling in that area. Of course, there is a lot of speculation, but the fact he hired a sport psychologist says a lot in and of itself. If part of his challenges are due to a trauma response, then assuming he needs to just "be tougher" is not a good way to compare his mental fitness against Webb. Webb, Ken, and Pourcel all have my complete respect with what they have been through and accomplished.
Ok so Cooper is mentally fitter. Got it.

Outdoors are going to answer a lot of questions regarding Roczen.

-He must (hopefuly) be angry at how this championship went so hopefuly he wants revenge.

-Cooper must be (of that I'm sure) hungry to show he is good at both SX and MX.

-Eli must be hungry (he looked mad at the final SX) too and prove he is the best at MX.

-Osborne has been preparing in advance to defend his title.

-AC, Sexton and ferrandis could be sleepers and give a run to the championship.

So excited to Outdoors bring it!!

The Shop

Hank_Thrill
5/6/2021 2:53pm
Pakoyz250f wrote:
Ok so Cooper is mentally fitter. Got it. Outdoors are going to answer a lot of questions regarding Roczen. -He must (hopefuly) be angry at how...
Ok so Cooper is mentally fitter. Got it.

Outdoors are going to answer a lot of questions regarding Roczen.

-He must (hopefuly) be angry at how this championship went so hopefuly he wants revenge.

-Cooper must be (of that I'm sure) hungry to show he is good at both SX and MX.

-Eli must be hungry (he looked mad at the final SX) too and prove he is the best at MX.

-Osborne has been preparing in advance to defend his title.

-AC, Sexton and ferrandis could be sleepers and give a run to the championship.

So excited to Outdoors bring it!!
All great points about the guys coming into this season! Reminds me of everything leading up to the 2011 450 supercross championship. It’s going to be an exciting season for sure!
FIREfish148
5/6/2021 5:02pm
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys...
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys are mental midgets.

Think about Ken, Eli and Coop being on this gate. Which one says “let’s bang some bars” and which ones say “If 7 and 4 have a bad race maybe I can do okay but I’m just happy to be here”

GuyB pic right? So epic
Honestly the only rider from today that has the kind of speed to run with or beat RC and Bubba on that day in particular is Tomac.

Everyone else is getting gapped by at least 10 seconds, even on their best day.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
5/6/2021 5:06pm
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys...
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys are mental midgets.

Think about Ken, Eli and Coop being on this gate. Which one says “let’s bang some bars” and which ones say “If 7 and 4 have a bad race maybe I can do okay but I’m just happy to be here”

GuyB pic right? So epic
Honestly the only rider from today that has the kind of speed to run with or beat RC and Bubba on that day in particular is...
Honestly the only rider from today that has the kind of speed to run with or beat RC and Bubba on that day in particular is Tomac.

Tomac..? Not a chance hahahah
FIREfish148
5/6/2021 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2021 9:51pm

GuyB pic right? So epic
CPR wrote:
Anyone know who #118 is?
I believe 118 is Davi Millsaps
Right to left: k-dub, rc, reed, milsapps, bubba, Brown, DV, Mace
FIREfish148
5/6/2021 5:11pm

GuyB pic right? So epic
Honestly the only rider from today that has the kind of speed to run with or beat RC and Bubba on that day in particular is...

Tomac..? Not a chance hahahah
Ok
Fourth_Floor
5/6/2021 7:11pm
The Hangtown Massacre is the fastest we've ever witnessed anyone ride a dirtbike around a motocross track, period. Eli smokes a prime RC and Stewart by 40 seconds that day.
Johnny Ringo
5/6/2021 7:26pm
The Hangtown Massacre is the fastest we've ever witnessed anyone ride a dirtbike around a motocross track, period. Eli smokes a prime RC and Stewart by...
The Hangtown Massacre is the fastest we've ever witnessed anyone ride a dirtbike around a motocross track, period. Eli smokes a prime RC and Stewart by 40 seconds that day.
ok pal
looplabmx
5/17/2021 9:36pm

GuyB pic right? So epic
Park Boys wrote:
You show an outdoor pic and bring up Coop. He would be 60 seconds a race behind a RC/Stew battle, at least. Unless something drastic happens...
You show an outdoor pic and bring up Coop. He would be 60 seconds a race behind a RC/Stew battle, at least. Unless something drastic happens this year. Show an SX pic next time. He’s a bad dude indoors. But outdoors he ain’t even in the same sentence as these guys.
Exactly. Even though you said "at least", I think you're still being very generous with the at least 60 seconds.

Post a reply to: Webb on Roczen and the mental side of the sport

The Latest