Webb on Roczen and the mental side of the sport

tingo
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2021 9:36pm
The vid below is from the post-championship presser Saturday night. Webb was careful with his word choice (and thankfully didn't say "living rent free,") but it was interesting to hear him acknowledge what a lot of the Vital psychologists saw. Which is to say that after seeing Ken's awkward, post-Daytona "I like to play games, too" interview, Webb knew he had him beat...and he was right.

|
davistld01
5/3/2021 8:54am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 8:54am
Cooper has the game figured out. He knows that it's more than being the fastest, or even the most talented...it's knowing you can win, and making sure the competition knows you can win...and knows you know you can win too. Villopoto was good at it too.
tuttle425
5/3/2021 10:15am
The mental toughness that Cooper displayed this year is one of the most impressive feats I've ever seen in sport. I've seen it before form the likes of Tiger and Brady. It sucks, because I wanted Kenny to win but it was incredible to see Coop respond like he did over and over and over. And unfortunately, it was equally as unimpressive to see Ken fold repeatedly. Webb's got a real shot at getting to the 3 or 4 club.
Johnny Ringo
5/3/2021 10:20am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 10:22am
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys are mental midgets.

Think about Ken, Eli and Coop being on this gate. Which one says “let’s bang some bars” and which ones say “If 7 and 4 have a bad race maybe I can do okay but I’m just happy to be here”

GuyB pic right? So epic
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/3/2021 10:30am
davistld01 wrote:
Cooper has the game figured out. He knows that it's more than being the fastest, or even the most talented...it's knowing you can win, and making...
Cooper has the game figured out. He knows that it's more than being the fastest, or even the most talented...it's knowing you can win, and making sure the competition knows you can win...and knows you know you can win too. Villopoto was good at it too.
"I know that you know that I know that you know I can beat you, and you know it." GrinningGrinningGrinning

The Shop

500 Mike
5/3/2021 10:50am
He came off a little hypocritical to me. He said he was surprised that Ken raced him aggressively in the first part of the race but he is the first one to take someone down in order to get to the front. If you are really as fast as he thinks he is, he doesn’t need to play the mind games he does. You just go out and win. It just shows what kind of person he truly is. Not a champion caliber person like Dungey or others.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
5/3/2021 10:51am
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys...
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys are mental midgets.

Think about Ken, Eli and Coop being on this gate. Which one says “let’s bang some bars” and which ones say “If 7 and 4 have a bad race maybe I can do okay but I’m just happy to be here”

GuyB pic right? So epic
You show an outdoor pic and bring up Coop. He would be 60 seconds a race behind a RC/Stew battle, at least. Unless something drastic happens this year. Show an SX pic next time. He’s a bad dude indoors. But outdoors he ain’t even in the same sentence as these guys.
Zycki11
5/3/2021 11:01am
I keep saying Coop is the only current racer that would have been able to compete in the RC/Stew/Reed days mentally. All the other top guys...

GuyB pic right? So epic
Park Boys wrote:
You show an outdoor pic and bring up Coop. He would be 60 seconds a race behind a RC/Stew battle, at least. Unless something drastic happens...
You show an outdoor pic and bring up Coop. He would be 60 seconds a race behind a RC/Stew battle, at least. Unless something drastic happens this year. Show an SX pic next time. He’s a bad dude indoors. But outdoors he ain’t even in the same sentence as these guys.
Honestly he wouldn’t even be in the same ballpark as reedy on his Honda. Those three were so damn good and mentally tough. Ironically one worked the hardest(RC), one had the most natural ability(JS), and one was the toughest sob to ride a bike(CR).

Today’s racers aren’t built from the same cloth.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
5/3/2021 11:03am
500 Mike wrote:
He came off a little hypocritical to me. He said he was surprised that Ken raced him aggressively in the first part of the race but...
He came off a little hypocritical to me. He said he was surprised that Ken raced him aggressively in the first part of the race but he is the first one to take someone down in order to get to the front. If you are really as fast as he thinks he is, he doesn’t need to play the mind games he does. You just go out and win. It just shows what kind of person he truly is. Not a champion caliber person like Dungey or others.
This is the dumbest post I’ve read in a minute. Webb doesn’t really take guys down. I was surprised by Ken’s tactics too. Considering he waited til the last round when he was 20 points down to show even a little bit of fight. After Ken said he likes to play games after Daytona he basically did nothing to make it hard on Webb. Then at the last round he decides to put up a fight. It made no sense.
Johnny Ringo
5/3/2021 11:05am

GuyB pic right? So epic
Park Boys wrote:
You show an outdoor pic and bring up Coop. He would be 60 seconds a race behind a RC/Stew battle, at least. Unless something drastic happens...
My point was more his mentality not necessarily speed. Don’t get you panties in a bunch, I know the dudes in the pic are the best to ever do it. My point was coop is the only current racer that wouldn’t be shaking nervously on that starting line. Outdoors or not.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
5/3/2021 11:12am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 11:18am

GuyB pic right? So epic
Park Boys wrote:
My point was more his mentality not necessarily speed. Don’t get you panties in a bunch, I know the dudes in the pic are the best...
My point was more his mentality not necessarily speed. Don’t get you panties in a bunch, I know the dudes in the pic are the best to ever do it. My point was coop is the only current racer that wouldn’t be shaking nervously on that starting line. Outdoors or not.
I disagree, Tomac is all time and even with Kenny’s injuries his outdoors stats are killer. He beat Dungey as a 20 year old rookie. I don’t think Coops mental toughness means anything outside when your 30 seconds off the lead which is common for him. Indoors yes Coops confidence is off the charts.

But outdoors Tomac and Roczen are both better than Reed and have the Stats on James although he did that to himself. Maybe I’m wrong and Coop finds 1.5 seconds a lap on average.
Johnny Ringo
5/3/2021 11:22am
Park Boys wrote:
My point was more his mentality not necessarily speed. Don’t get you panties in a bunch, I know the dudes in the pic are the best...
Park Boys wrote:
I disagree, Tomac is all time and even with Kenny’s injuries his outdoors stats are killer. He beat Dungey as a 20 year old rookie. I...
I disagree, Tomac is all time and even with Kenny’s injuries his outdoors stats are killer. He beat Dungey as a 20 year old rookie. I don’t think Coops mental toughness means anything outside when your 30 seconds off the lead which is common for him. Indoors yes Coops confidence is off the charts.

But outdoors Tomac and Roczen are both better than Reed and have the Stats on James although he did that to himself. Maybe I’m wrong and Coop finds 1.5 seconds a lap on average.
Bro Tomac got nervous and shit the bed when Herlings lined up next to him. Let alone the GOAT or Stew.
motomike137
5/3/2021 11:23am
Ken just seems like he is a little worn down again from everything he has been through. He seemed to get deflated Saturday night and just couldn't push anymore that night. It would be interesting to see what we would be watching had the injuries to his arms never happened but we will never know. For now Cooper is the man in SX and everyone knows it especially Coop Wink
5/3/2021 11:23am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 11:24am
500 Mike wrote:
He came off a little hypocritical to me. He said he was surprised that Ken raced him aggressively in the first part of the race but...
When was the last time Cooper took someone down? I don’t think it happens as often as you seem to think. In fact, for much of the season Webb did exactly what you claimed to admire, he just went out and won.

You make it seem like Webb goes out there and acts like it’s a demolition derby, when in reality Webb is simply an aggressive racer who rarely crosses over into the “dirty” category.
mxb2
5/3/2021 11:31am
Park Boys wrote:
I disagree, Tomac is all time and even with Kenny’s injuries his outdoors stats are killer. He beat Dungey as a 20 year old rookie. I...

Bro Tomac got nervous and shit the bed when Herlings lined up next to him. Let alone the GOAT or Stew.
Like. The florida mxgp?
500 Mike
5/3/2021 11:41am
The Webb fanboys are out in full force today!!
wasummer46
5/3/2021 11:42am
Park Boys wrote:

I watched him beat Herlings and Cairoli Moto 1 at WW on a "sandy" track.
5/3/2021 11:43am

GuyB pic right? So epic

Insert 2016 outdoors and pre double injury Roczen in that pic and I’m 100% sure that he would do just fine.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
5/3/2021 11:44am Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 1:25pm
Park Boys wrote:

Cause he crashed? Well Herlings must be frightened of a lot of guys too cause he crashes as well! Get out of here with that dumb sh*t. You thought you were proving a point and you were wrong. Indoors hell yeah Coop is the man to beat. But let’s do a deep dive here. Reed use to hear every week he needed to push out of his comfort zone in 06 - 07 and admitted RC drove him out of nationals. Stew is Stew but also crashed out of a Nationals season in 07.. was he afraid of Ferry?

Like I said on the KTM coops avg finish outdoors is nearly 30 seconds off of first. He has 450 win. Maybe the Tomac/Roczen era is done and he don’t need that top speed to win. Then sure I bet he grinds out wins. But don’t post pics were every rider in there has at least 1000 percent more wins than coop and say he is the only one to compete. FYI Roczen and all of his injuries has 18 450 MX wins and Tomac has 25 I think in 450 MX. Webb has 1.
Johnny Ringo
5/3/2021 12:03pm
Park Boys wrote:

Park Boys wrote:
Cause he crashed? Well Herlings must be frightened of a lot of guys too cause he crashes as well! Get out of here with that dumb...
Cause he crashed? Well Herlings must be frightened of a lot of guys too cause he crashes as well! Get out of here with that dumb sh*t. You thought you were proving a point and you were wrong. Indoors hell yeah Coop is the man to beat. But let’s do a deep dive here. Reed use to hear every week he needed to push out of his comfort zone in 06 - 07 and admitted RC drove him out of nationals. Stew is Stew but also crashed out of a Nationals season in 07.. was he afraid of Ferry?

Like I said on the KTM coops avg finish outdoors is nearly 30 seconds off of first. He has 450 win. Maybe the Tomac/Roczen era is done and he don’t need that top speed to win. Then sure I bet he grinds out wins. But don’t post pics were every rider in there has at least 1000 percent more wins than coop and say he is the only one to compete. FYI Roczen and all of his injuries has 18 450 MX wins and Tomac has 25 I think in 450 MX. Webb has 1.
I’m not really proving a point, since my point is impossible to prove as I can’t teleport Coop to 2006 and see where he stacks up. I’m just sharing my opinion on the current group of riders and their mental toughness vs the fellas from 15 years ago. You disagree with my take, that’s fine bro. If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
5/3/2021 12:29pm
Park Boys wrote:

Yeah he was so nervous he crashed trying to pass Herlings at Ironman Silly
5/3/2021 12:35pm
wasummer46 wrote:
Tomac had the holeshot in race 1,Herlings and Cairoli were midpack.In race 2,he was just behind Cairoli and Herlings but couldn‘t go their pace.He rode on home soil and under extreme heat,something the euros aren‘t used to,but Herlings won the GP.What about the last mxdn in the US?Tomac is a beast outdoors,no doubt,but the statistics vs Herlings are poor.
Coach529
5/3/2021 12:48pm
I really do not understand the Webb hate. It was a great season. As much as I would have loved to see Roczen win, Webb just straight up rode better. I will take consistency over raw speed anyday.

Has there been a fade at the last round by a title contender like that since Bradshaw?

5/3/2021 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/3/2021 12:50pm
wasummer46 wrote:
Bonanza69 wrote:
Tomac had the holeshot in race 1,Herlings and Cairoli were midpack.In race 2,he was just behind Cairoli and Herlings but couldn‘t go their pace.He rode on...
Tomac had the holeshot in race 1,Herlings and Cairoli were midpack.In race 2,he was just behind Cairoli and Herlings but couldn‘t go their pace.He rode on home soil and under extreme heat,something the euros aren‘t used to,but Herlings won the GP.What about the last mxdn in the US?Tomac is a beast outdoors,no doubt,but the statistics vs Herlings are poor.
Well if we're making excuses lets not leave out the fact that 2018 MXdN was Tomac's first time on the 2019 Kawasaki 450, and consider how he struggled in 2019 SX with setup (what's new) I think it's safe to say he wasn't as comfortable as he likely was all outdoors that year.
mxb2
5/3/2021 12:59pm
wasummer46 wrote:
Bonanza69 wrote:
Tomac had the holeshot in race 1,Herlings and Cairoli were midpack.In race 2,he was just behind Cairoli and Herlings but couldn‘t go their pace.He rode on...
Well if we're making excuses lets not leave out the fact that 2018 MXdN was Tomac's first time on the 2019 Kawasaki 450, and consider how...
Well if we're making excuses lets not leave out the fact that 2018 MXdN was Tomac's first time on the 2019 Kawasaki 450, and consider how he struggled in 2019 SX with setup (what's new) I think it's safe to say he wasn't as comfortable as he likely was all outdoors that year.
I guess herlings got nervous as webb, forkner beat him in charlotte.
RalphS
5/3/2021 1:06pm
I see the mental side between CW and KR this season like this:

KR every time he failed to accomplish what's expected, he went to Instagram with exculpatory excuses for the wunderkind.

CW failed in ATL2 to accomplish what's expected, he went to FL fixed the issue and won ATL3.

That been said for KR, he is filthy rich and settled for life so no regrets.
davistld01
5/3/2021 1:29pm
When was the last time Cooper took someone down? I don’t think it happens as often as you seem to think. In fact, for much of...
When was the last time Cooper took someone down? I don’t think it happens as often as you seem to think. In fact, for much of the season Webb did exactly what you claimed to admire, he just went out and won.

You make it seem like Webb goes out there and acts like it’s a demolition derby, when in reality Webb is simply an aggressive racer who rarely crosses over into the “dirty” category.
Webb is so good at figuring out a way to get around a rider when he needs to, that he doesn't have to resort to riding dirty to do it.
5/3/2021 1:31pm
mxb2 wrote:
You forgot Anderson beating Herlings in Italy!Epic moments for US MX History.WinkTongueWoohoo
mxb2
5/3/2021 1:40pm
mxb2 wrote:
Bonanza69 wrote:
You forgot Anderson beating Herlings in Italy!Epic moments for US MX History.WinkTongueWoohoo
I didnt forget,. I didnt forget that tomac destroys anderson outdoors lolGrinning
CPR
5/4/2021 2:15am

GuyB pic right? So epic
Anyone know who #118 is?

Post a reply to: Webb on Roczen and the mental side of the sport

The Latest