Webb- my amateur analysis

Sierra Ranger
Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 10:53am
Since he became points leader, he's been riding not to lose, especially last night. He kept stopping every time Marvin stopped, being way too nice, then his follow-the-leader approach unfortunately bit him.
I know there is usually only one line in mud, but he couldn't find somewhere to get around him? The not-playing-it-safe Webb might have. They were definitely riding like teammates out there, which I understand they are, but Webb got the short end of the stick.
He of course won Oakland, but was riding stiff and Marvin almost caught him. He's got to hit the next level and find a way to go for it and still win.
|
2/3/2019 9:12am
I think he latched on to marv - after marv blew by him and had caught him.

And then got into a comfort zone - just like a day at the practice track following his training partner.
He upped his level and was able to match what marv was doing naturally. But his natural pace was slower than that if left on his own.

Then marv hit neutral and Coop went SHIT i gotta train with this guy and i told everyone im here to learn and play second fiddle so my career can evolve and went over the bars with the front brake.
Sierra Ranger
2/3/2019 9:16am
I think he latched on to marv - after marv blew by him and had caught him. And then got into a comfort zone - just...
I think he latched on to marv - after marv blew by him and had caught him.

And then got into a comfort zone - just like a day at the practice track following his training partner.
He upped his level and was able to match what marv was doing naturally. But his natural pace was slower than that if left on his own.

Then marv hit neutral and Coop went SHIT i gotta train with this guy and i told everyone im here to learn and play second fiddle so my career can evolve and went over the bars with the front brake.
Yeah, he had already hit Marv a couple of times- I was thinking he was riding nice like that because of the history, but it bit him. It's hard to have any kind of coherent strategy on a track like that.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/3/2019 10:03am
Since he became points leader, he's been riding not to lose, especially last night. He kept stopping every time Marvin stopped, being way too nice, then...
Since he became points leader, he's been riding not to lose, especially last night. He kept stopping every time Marvin stopped, being way too nice, then his follow-the-leader approach unfortunately bit him.
I know there is usually only one line in mud, but he couldn't find somewhere to get around him? The not-playing-it-safe Webb might have. They were definitely riding like teammates out there, which I understand they are, but Webb got the short end of the stick.
He of course won Oakland, but was riding stiff and Marvin almost caught him. He's got to hit the next level and find a way to go for it and still win.
" Since he became points leader, he's been riding not to lose, especially last night " WTF !! This was his first race as points leader and it was a mud race !!! Where do people come up with this shit! Laughing
Scull79
2/3/2019 10:14am
It was a mud race and shit happens. I think Webb was trying to play it safe and it bit him. Had he not gone over the bars I think he had a chance to end up on the podium. I have a feeling he'll be back up front next week battling for the podium. He's only 8 points back of tomac and a lot of racing to go this year.

The Shop

MX-LIFE.
2/3/2019 10:17am
It's funny so many have already given Webb this championship ?
joeellis
2/3/2019 10:18am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 10:19am
Webb was in 5th at the time. Probably couldn’t see. Was trying to maintain and get the points he could. Felt that following Marvin would be a fairly safe bet. It did bite him, but it wasn’t a night to be too aggressive, especially when you’re in the top 5. And you don’t want to take both team members out.
2/3/2019 10:46am
joeellis wrote:
Webb was in 5th at the time. Probably couldn’t see. Was trying to maintain and get the points he could. Felt that following Marvin would be...
Webb was in 5th at the time. Probably couldn’t see. Was trying to maintain and get the points he could. Felt that following Marvin would be a fairly safe bet. It did bite him, but it wasn’t a night to be too aggressive, especially when you’re in the top 5. And you don’t want to take both team members out.
This. Both he and Marv (and most of the field) were just focused on survival out there. Don't think there was much strategy beyond "must stay upright, must not fry clutch." And even though he seems to be the main attraction lately, the mud "bit" a lot of top guys, not just Webb.
Premix
2/3/2019 10:53am
You gathered all that from a mud race? Amazing
Question
2/3/2019 11:19am
I think it was really unfortunate for him ; with Marv', who is also experienced in mud, they were working well together to save the bikes, stay on 2 wheels, and let the race come to them to get a podium.
drt410
2/3/2019 11:37am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 11:37am
No but yea, na I mean yea he hit his marks.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
2/3/2019 11:39am
I think everyone was just trying to make it through the race and minimize any damage. I doubt anyone was thinking about maximizing points via charging hard. To me, with so much at stake in the points battle this season, I'm kind of surprised more teams didn't run the top of the line Rekluse. I know it takes a little bit of learning (shouldn't be hard for a Pro), but in races like that its a life saver and could be a championship saver. All the EX guys run them. I'd also would have thought they would run their most bulletproof engine set up for reliability. Think it was MCR that actually ran their practice bike engines in this one just in case something happened, it wouldn't ruin their top of the line race engines for when it matters.
kb228
2/3/2019 11:47am
Look, webb did get a LOT better this year no doubt. Cant deny it. But hes not eli marv or roczen. 2 of the main guys came in with an injury and were behind and out of practice. Roczen is still just trying to finish a season. Once those 3 hit their stride webb isnt going to do what hes been doing. Webb went from a 10th place guy to a top 5 guy. Not a championship guy.
2/3/2019 12:13pm
kb228 wrote:
Look, webb did get a LOT better this year no doubt. Cant deny it. But hes not eli marv or roczen. 2 of the main guys...
Look, webb did get a LOT better this year no doubt. Cant deny it. But hes not eli marv or roczen. 2 of the main guys came in with an injury and were behind and out of practice. Roczen is still just trying to finish a season. Once those 3 hit their stride webb isnt going to do what hes been doing. Webb went from a 10th place guy to a top 5 guy. Not a championship guy.
This. Webb appears to be really gelling with the KTM, and his speed/technique have undeniably improved. But let's watch him get a shit start and smoke a healthy Tomac/Musquin from BEHIND - as both a healthy Tomac and Musquin can do to him.

Watch Tomac especially - give him the holeshot, and he'll gap Webb by 5 seconds on the first lap. Guaranteed.

Post a reply to: Webb- my amateur analysis

The Latest