Webb: The one thing I kept in the back of my mind was Herlings!

Edited Date/Time 3/16/2019 9:10am
450 supercross points leader Cooper Webb has revealed how he kept his self-confidence during two tough years with Yamaha in the 450 class – and it was partly thanks to Jeffrey Herlings!

“Yeah it’s tough (on not losing belief) but I’ve always felt like I am pretty confident person. I never felt like I lost what I had, it’s just what I was doing wasn’t working,” offered Webb in an interview with Jason Weigandt on Racer X films.

“The one thing I always kept in the back of my mind was, and it sounds silly, was Herlings. My last ever 250 race me and him went head to toe, fast forward two years later and he is the fastest man on the planet! Two years before that I was racing with him, I knew you don’t lose that, you don’t lose the talent, the fight.

“Sure you have to brush your skill and get better but I don’t feel it ever went away. It was just having to find that again, at this 450 stage everything has to be on point. I think I just found a great fit for me and they brought the best out of me for sure.”

And ironically, now that Cooper Webb is back on form, there is a chance he might be racing Herlings again for the win in America, only this time they will be teammates if the Dutchman goes ahead with his option of racing the US Nationals – provided his injury recovers in time!

http://gatedrop.com/webb-the-one-thing-i-kept-in-the-back-of-my-mind-wa…
|
just James
3/13/2019 5:21am
ALL of the top guys have seen how Herlings rides, and I think he lives rent free in their heads most of the time.
kb228
3/13/2019 5:21am
Hate to say it but i think the webb/cianciarulo era is rolling in. Roczen and tomac had their chances and that era is passing. Webb hit his stride. Roczen eli and marvin seem to be dialing back whatever they had in recent years.

I got a hunch webb is going to carry this tsunami into the outdoors and go toe to toe with eli and herlings if he comes over.
Flip109
3/13/2019 5:25am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 6:42am
Hope if Herlings comes over Webb can bring the fight to him. I do kind of believe Herlings is the better 450 rider because of his size. He’s taller and prob stronger than Webb. Helps a lot with the added weight and torque of a 450. It’ll be epic if Herlings comes over. Everyone will want to step up their game to stay with him. Also coming off injury he will have to race himself into form which will help the AMA guys not get rolled right at the start of the season.
shuggs
3/13/2019 5:26am
Quite a good interview. The ‘race craft’ that he is showing is the biggest surprise to me.

To OP thread title is click bait

The Shop

3/13/2019 5:29am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 5:34am
shuggs wrote:
Quite a good interview. The ‘race craft’ that he is showing is the biggest surprise to me.

watch video , forward to 3.48 ... he says “The one thing I always kept in the back of my mind was, and it sounds silly, was Herlings

title is
The one thing I kept in the back of my mind was Herlings!

so how is the title clickbait ?? please explain
3/13/2019 5:38am
kb228 wrote:
Hate to say it but i think the webb/cianciarulo era is rolling in. Roczen and tomac had their chances and that era is passing. Webb hit...
Hate to say it but i think the webb/cianciarulo era is rolling in. Roczen and tomac had their chances and that era is passing. Webb hit his stride. Roczen eli and marvin seem to be dialing back whatever they had in recent years.

I got a hunch webb is going to carry this tsunami into the outdoors and go toe to toe with eli and herlings if he comes over.
this ... i think you are right ..Roczen,Tomac and Musquin , how grazy it sounds might never win a 450 SX title

SEE ARE125
3/13/2019 5:47am
So IF Herlings comes over does he go train/practice at Bakers? Do Herlings and Webb have to play nice together since they’ll basically be KTM teammates? I just want to see an all out brawl between Webb, Herlings, Tomac, Roczen, Musquin and whoever else with no punches pulled, best man wins.
motomike137
3/13/2019 5:47am
shuggs wrote:

watch video , forward to 3.48 ... he says “The one thing I always kept in the back of my mind was, and it sounds silly...
watch video , forward to 3.48 ... he says “The one thing I always kept in the back of my mind was, and it sounds silly, was Herlings

title is

Not clickbait at all. Cooper basically says that during the tough times he had he could look back and realize that he was able to compete with Herlings then and it allows him to realize that he is capable of doing what he is doing now. Simple stuff really.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
3/13/2019 6:01am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 6:02am
It’ll be interesting to see what happens outdoors. I still suspect Tomac will be dominant, barring a Herlings cameo. He doesn’t ever quite seem to struggle with the silly stuff outdoors and there’s plenty of time to make up for his starts so he shines. Cooper is very fast outdoors as well, though.

As far as the dawn of a new era, I don’t see tomac retiring for 2-3 more seasons. I liked how Dungey solidified his legacy by going out on top, but I’m just not sure that Eli will do the same. If he does sooner than later, however, I can see Cooper clicking off several titles.
PastranaWho
3/13/2019 6:02am
Man herlings and KTM need to make it happen, never been so excited for the nationals. I hope he can heal up just in time. This is bigger than villo going to mxgp.
3/13/2019 6:27am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
So IF Herlings comes over does he go train/practice at Bakers? Do Herlings and Webb have to play nice together since they’ll basically be KTM teammates...
So IF Herlings comes over does he go train/practice at Bakers? Do Herlings and Webb have to play nice together since they’ll basically be KTM teammates? I just want to see an all out brawl between Webb, Herlings, Tomac, Roczen, Musquin and whoever else with no punches pulled, best man wins.
Webb and Herlings are already on good terms and should be fine together at Bakers.
gt80rider
3/13/2019 6:32am
He makes the right point, talent does Not go away.... all the more reason his 450 years on Yamaha don't add up.....
Nystrom7
3/13/2019 7:11am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 7:14am
Flip109 wrote:
Hope if Herlings comes over Webb can bring the fight to him. I do kind of believe Herlings is the better 450 rider because of his...
Hope if Herlings comes over Webb can bring the fight to him. I do kind of believe Herlings is the better 450 rider because of his size. He’s taller and prob stronger than Webb. Helps a lot with the added weight and torque of a 450. It’ll be epic if Herlings comes over. Everyone will want to step up their game to stay with him. Also coming off injury he will have to race himself into form which will help the AMA guys not get rolled right at the start of the season.
How Short is webb? Herlings is 172 cm according to His bio and thats pretty Short. I thought he was taller.

Googled it. Webb is 170 cm so its not even an inch between them.
jeffro503
3/13/2019 7:16am
Man , can you imagine an orange 3 man wrecking crew of Webb , Musquin and Herlings? I feel for Jeffrey getting hurt , but maybe this is a blessing of some sort? I really hope he comes over and gives it a shot. And I hope the ankle is healed enough , that he can at least try.
jeffro503
3/13/2019 7:21am
Flip109 wrote:
Hope if Herlings comes over Webb can bring the fight to him. I do kind of believe Herlings is the better 450 rider because of his...
Nystrom7 wrote:
How Short is webb? Herlings is 172 cm according to His bio and thats pretty Short. I thought he was taller. Googled it. Webb is 170...
How Short is webb? Herlings is 172 cm according to His bio and thats pretty Short. I thought he was taller.

That cant be right is it? I've stood next too Cooper and I can't believe how small that little dude is. I thought Jeffrey was around , or just under 6' tall?
3/13/2019 7:28am
shuggs wrote:

watch video , forward to 3.48 ... he says “The one thing I always kept in the back of my mind was, and it sounds silly...

title is

At least you can read the title and have a clue what the thread is about. So often around here we get one word titles - which I admit has gotten better lately - but Loots did this one right.
3/13/2019 7:37am
US based riders tend to exaggerate their height according to my experience. I wouldn’t be surprised if Webb was a bit shorter than advertised.
Flip109
3/13/2019 7:44am
Herlings is 6ft tall like 170lbs. Webb is little. Webb won't be spouting off to him face to face for sure.

There was a photo at one GP last year of Herlings standing next to Tony C. after a race. It looked like Tony was his little goofy side kick or sumnLaughingLaughing
Question
3/13/2019 7:53am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
So IF Herlings comes over does he go train/practice at Bakers? Do Herlings and Webb have to play nice together since they’ll basically be KTM teammates...
Webb and Herlings are already on good terms and should be fine together at Bakers.
Funny fact, in 2010, Musquin who was world champ and Herlings who was a hot rookie were in the red bull ktm mx2 team as well, and if I remember well everything was good between those 2. Weither it is Musquin, Herlings or Webb, they all seem to be very hard working guys, confident in their skills, but also respectful towards other big guys.

Personally, since a few years I really like Herlings, and I think it will be the same for Webb, they are maturing well.

DPR250R
3/13/2019 9:29am
jeffro503 wrote:
Man , can you imagine an orange 3 man wrecking crew of Webb , Musquin and Herlings? I feel for Jeffrey getting hurt , but maybe...
Man , can you imagine an orange 3 man wrecking crew of Webb , Musquin and Herlings? I feel for Jeffrey getting hurt , but maybe this is a blessing of some sort? I really hope he comes over and gives it a shot. And I hope the ankle is healed enough , that he can at least try.
Like 80’s HRC
teamddr
3/13/2019 9:30am
Herlings is a big lad and throws a 450 about like it’s a pit bike. No way Webb can live with him he’s to small and to mortal.
Paul333
3/13/2019 9:34am
just James wrote:
ALL of the top guys have seen how Herlings rides, and I think he lives rent free in their heads most of the time.
LOL, considering both Webb & Forkner straight up beat Herlings maybe it should be the other way around....
kb228
3/13/2019 9:38am
Did RC’s or RV’s size affect how dominant they were? Saying that webb has no chance against herlings because herlings is bigger is dumb.
mac3-d
3/13/2019 9:53am
Flip109 wrote:
Nystrom7 wrote:
How Short is webb? Herlings is 172 cm according to His bio and thats pretty Short. I thought he was taller. Googled it. Webb is 170...

Euro CMs are bigger than USA CMs Whistling
motomike137
3/13/2019 10:37am
kb228 wrote:
Did RC’s or RV’s size affect how dominant they were? Saying that webb has no chance against herlings because herlings is bigger is dumb.
Bubba isn't exactly a big guy either and he was pretty good on a bike if I recall especially in sand Wink
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
3/13/2019 10:52am
Short guys are usually good on a dirtbike.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
3/13/2019 11:11am
Reading between the lines... I know I'm fast, I straight up beat the dude everyone thinks is the fastest.

Seriously, he obviously had an issue with something about the Yamaha....
dirty1974
3/13/2019 11:14am
lol , 2 years ago herlings was a overweighted 250 rider without motivation ..he was so much faster in 2018 !! Dont know what 19 brings for him ...wait and see if he can get back to race mode .
Ranman68
3/13/2019 11:36am
It's quite a compliment to Herlings and yet a justified one. Coop hasn't been able to dice with Herlings on 450s, but that doesn't mean he can't or won't. Those two are both fierce competitors who want to win and they don't give two shits about anything less. The mindset that all the greats have. For them to be under the same tent and going at it in training as well as races is a scary thought. Hopefully neither of them get hurt. If they can do that then they'll push each other and make each other better. Coop benefits the most I think, because Herlings has that crazy speed Coop will get to chase and try to match every day at Aldons. That will be some interesting shit on top of seeing what Tomac can do against Herlings on his regular home turf. I really hope Herlings is lined up at Hangtown. That would be some epic shit to look forward to seeing 12 weeks in a row.

Post a reply to: Webb: The one thing I kept in the back of my mind was Herlings!

The Latest