Webb

YamaLink
1/6/2019 6:54am
mx_phreek wrote:
Let's pump the brakes till he does that in a dry race, then I'll agree with you. But it was a great ride in those muddy...
Let's pump the brakes till he does that in a dry race, then I'll agree with you. But it was a great ride in those muddy conditions. He has done great rides on his yamaha in similar conditions before. But I do think he'll do better this year.
Gus wrote:
I agree you can’t put much stock in mud races but his fitness and fire was something we haven’t seen.
Agreed. Webb on a 450 with his old 250 aggression - without getting hurt - could be scary for the competition.
1/6/2019 7:15am
mx_phreek wrote:
Let's pump the brakes till he does that in a dry race, then I'll agree with you. But it was a great ride in those muddy...
Let's pump the brakes till he does that in a dry race, then I'll agree with you. But it was a great ride in those muddy conditions. He has done great rides on his yamaha in similar conditions before. But I do think he'll do better this year.
Exactly what I was thinking. It was his rookie year in 2017 there was a mud race at San Diego or Oakland I can’t for sure remember which but I know he rode great and grabbed a podium. Pumped for the guy to finally have a solid race but it’s only the first round
Gus
1/6/2019 7:20am
mx_phreek wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. It was his rookie year in 2017 there was a mud race at San Diego or Oakland I can’t for sure...
Exactly what I was thinking. It was his rookie year in 2017 there was a mud race at San Diego or Oakland I can’t for sure remember which but I know he rode great and grabbed a podium. Pumped for the guy to finally have a solid race but it’s only the first round
Oakland ... and it wasn’t a mudder
Samuel
1/6/2019 7:28am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2019 7:29am
Mud race that even Mookie had a shot at. Still not sold on Webb. He's shown nothing in years.
You mean his rookie 450 year where he got injured and his second 450 year where he also got injured, he didn't beat the veterans of the class? Yeah, that's a good gauge. I'm sure you'll be jumping on his bandwagon when he figures it out. I'm not saying a fifth in a mud race means he's going to be champ, but people seem to completely forget how dominant he was in the 250 class. Some guys struggle with the switch to the big bike. Takes time, sometimes a season, sometimes more. He'll win in this class.

The Shop

1/6/2019 7:32am
mx_phreek wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. It was his rookie year in 2017 there was a mud race at San Diego or Oakland I can’t for sure...
Gus wrote:
Looked muddy to me
Gus
1/6/2019 7:35am
Gus wrote:
Looked muddy to me
OldHalfway
1/6/2019 7:43am
Great ride no doubt. I thought he looked great on the KTM. Seems to "fit" him so much better than the YZ.
motomike137
1/6/2019 7:50am
I predict we are about to see the Cooper Webb we expected two years ago. He will be solid all year imho.
Sacko
1/6/2019 8:08am
Coming from a die hard Yamaha guy... I'm a little bitter to admit he looked good...
slipdog
1/6/2019 8:21am
And then right at the end of the main I was like...

" HA! what are those nut huggers at Vital going to say about their boy Webb getting lapped at the end of.... Wait, wuuutttt... is he really crushing his way through the top 10 with 2 laps left like it's the C practice???"
ridge
1/6/2019 9:06am
slipdog wrote:
And then right at the end of the main I was like... " HA! what are those nut huggers at Vital going to say about their...
And then right at the end of the main I was like...

" HA! what are those nut huggers at Vital going to say about their boy Webb getting lapped at the end of.... Wait, wuuutttt... is he really crushing his way through the top 10 with 2 laps left like it's the C practice???"
I think we are going to see Webb winning titles soon. He reminds me of Villo...not as good but will do anything to win. He now has the best mental trainer in the business (Aldon) and isn't afraid of hard work. Everybody better watch out when Webb's confidence goes on a feeding frenzy.

Then again, he could shit the bed next week and make me a fool. ???
BR8ES
1/6/2019 9:18am
No Webb fan... but he rode well, especially considering the conditions. He could very well have just "played it safe" like some of the Anderson excuses being given here and been mid pack. Good ride Webb.
joeellis
1/6/2019 9:52am
Mud race that even Mookie had a shot at. Still not sold on Webb. He's shown nothing in years.
Something you may need to keep an eye on with both Webb and Mookie is the better fitness of both. Both admit they have difficulty with such a regimented program, but both may be in the best shape of their lives.

Another intangible with Webb is his desire to excell. Like him or not, he has the mentality to reach great heights.

Another issue that Vitards love to give him crap about is the difficulty he had with the Yamaha. Confidence with the machine is paramount to good results. Remember Dungey complaining and struggling when he first threw a leg over the KTM. I met Cooper a few years ago in Atlanta. I’m barely 5’10” and Coop was noticeably shorter than me. Being on a smaller, lighter bike has to help some.

Lastly, Webb hasn’t had great results the past 2 years (since being on a 450), not years. Your statement made it sound like many years. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t he the champ inside and out his last year on the 250?
Press516
Fantasy
111th
1/6/2019 9:54am
He clearly hasn’t shown anything like his 250 days... I’d love to see it though.
joeellis
1/6/2019 10:10am
Press516 wrote:
He clearly hasn’t shown anything like his 250 days... I’d love to see it though.
He has very knarley competition at the top. Tomac, Anderson, Roczen, etc. This is only his 3rd year with the big boy’s. Even RC struggled his first year. Webb is going to be fine. Will he win any championships? We’ll see, but I honestly believe everyone had better get used to him getting top 5’s at least.
Park Boys
Fantasy
53rd
1/6/2019 10:13am
He has looked good in the “soft” stuff before but never with that aggression on a 450. Glendale will speak volumes.
joeellis
1/6/2019 10:22am
Park Boys wrote:
He has looked good in the “soft” stuff before but never with that aggression on a 450. Glendale will speak volumes.
You may be correct. I think the remainder of the year will be the gauge though. Not just the next round. I know many on here like to exclaim excuse regarding his difficulty on the Yamaha, but I still say that if one isn’t completely confident on their machine, it’s difficult to attain the heights of their potential.

I suck at this sport, but I owned a 2016 YZ250F and even though it was a great bike, I never felt totally confident on it. I went to a 2017 CRF450R and even though it was heavier and stronger, the ergonomics felt much better to me and helped my confidence tremendously. I would think the better you are, the more this would matter.
stangkag
1/6/2019 11:45am
Not only is 5th in this race a good result given the conditions, but he was on the ground while everyone else was getting away after the first turn. This was one hell of a ride, I hope he has many more to come and Aldon and KTM are the missing pieces he's been looking for!

Hopefully he stays healthy and shuts up the haters, he's got a lot of potential for sure.

I can't wait for next weekend now.
1/6/2019 2:55pm
Webb rode well - compare his lap times with Tomac’s - consistency, best, average and worst.

cheeseburger
1/6/2019 3:12pm
If that performance didn’t surprise you after what we saw the last few years then i would say you have never been surprised a day in your life. Looked good though and it will be good for him to maybe land a ride next year again.
Sacko
1/6/2019 3:25pm
If that performance didn’t surprise you after what we saw the last few years then i would say you have never been surprised a day in...
If that performance didn’t surprise you after what we saw the last few years then i would say you have never been surprised a day in your life. Looked good though and it will be good for him to maybe land a ride next year again.
His deal with ktm was a two year deal
Stuntman949
1/7/2019 8:23am
That's the magic of hand guards in action
visser62
1/7/2019 8:39am
Been a huge Webb fan since his rookie year on the 250s. Excited to see this from him. I was always impressed by him on the 250s; not just by his speed but by his racecraft. He always threw the bike around in smart lines. Looking for more of that from him this year.
philG
1/7/2019 9:47am
i was a Webb fan when he jumped on the 450, went and did the Nations when nobody else would, and did japan.. after that he has just not delivered on his 250 form ,

Would he have won with the holeshot, who knows, but that was an impressive ride. aided slighty by the fact a lot of guys were really piss poor and just went into survival mode.

He knows he has to deliver, its a good start.
ctbale
1/7/2019 2:09pm
webb, barcia and roczen battling for position ... THAT would be fun to watch
motomike137
1/7/2019 2:27pm
If that performance didn’t surprise you after what we saw the last few years then i would say you have never been surprised a day in...
I respectfully disagree. Webb started to get it together in 2017 then he got hurt. At the tail end of the 2018 Nationals he started looking pretty decent again but he was on the way to KTM at that point. If he hadn't been a true force of nature on the 250 and then had that great MXON performance I would agree with you but I just felt and still feel that he is going to be really good.
cheeseburger
1/7/2019 4:39pm
I respectfully disagree. Webb started to get it together in 2017 then he got hurt. At the tail end of the 2018 Nationals he started looking...
I respectfully disagree. Webb started to get it together in 2017 then he got hurt. At the tail end of the 2018 Nationals he started looking pretty decent again but he was on the way to KTM at that point. If he hadn't been a true force of nature on the 250 and then had that great MXON performance I would agree with you but I just felt and still feel that he is going to be really good.
I understand where you are coming from with the 250 domination and mxon performance because i was thinking the same way and predicting wins out of him, but the confidence just hasn’t seemed to be there. I think if he was and confident as he was after his last year on 250’s he could be a podium guy on a freaking tornado. Like keefer says the ktm is just a completely different bike with a seemingly smaller platform and is supposedly more forgiving could be the right formula. Hope the guy does well because sugar shane Is gonna be needing a spot here soon?

Post a reply to: Webb

The Latest