Wear the gear, folks!

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/25/2022 8:46am
Oh man, we all have days like my Saturday was. I'm sure everyone on here has a different perspective on safety gear, but this is a reminder to wear all your gear, all the time.

I had one of those squidly, out-of-control crashes on Saturday at Fox. It was on the vet track, on my 4th or 5th lap of the day, out of nowhere. I was just starting to jump everything and loosen up when I lost traction or something, bounced off a tiny roller, both feet slipped off the pegs, and it was ON! Bounced into the next roller WFO, superman-style, lost my grip, went down on the rear wheel, slammed into the ground ONE, TWO, THREE times, then ground to a halt. While I was crawling off the track to relative safety, I thought, "well, at least my shoulders aren't dislocated!" When I sat up, I couldn't find my bike. It had cartwheeled or landed on the wheels or something, and traveled off to parts unknown. Thanks to the random stranger who brought it over to me!

That's the hardest I've crashed without breaking a bone or other serious injury. All I have are cuts, scrapes and bruises. I credit the chest protector and helmet for taking most of the impact. Wear the gear!
|
TeamGreen
10/25/2022 8:52am
I call that kind of crash “a reckoning”. Silly

Glad your ok.
rbm33
Fantasy
1811th
10/25/2022 11:20am
I had a similar situation a few weeks ago at a cross country race. I was in a fast-flowing section in the trees clicking along in 4th gear. I was standing up leaning forward and on the gas when I hit a rock sticking up in the middle of the track. Immediately I was launched over the bars and cartwheeled more times than I could count. somehow I walked away without a single scratch on me, I don't think I have ever crashed that hard and walked away without even a bump or bruise. I would imagine without the proper protective gear it would have been a much different outcome.
quadmx301
Fantasy
2927th
10/25/2022 12:42pm
Changed a pilot jet and needle clip on one of the bikes 2 months ago. Went to go up and down the street in the neighborhood to test it - “real quick” - lol.

Didn’t check the front tire pressure. Turned the bike SUPER slow; found a slick spot and low sided onto my knee. Was wearing shorts. Kneecap has just finally started healing up. Couldn’t move it for 3+ weeks.

WEAR THE GEAR. Even when you don’t think it’s needed. Even jeans would have helped in my case. Stupid stuff that I should have known better about. As Jocko Willink says, “Discipline = Freedom”
Teej317
Fantasy
1909th
10/25/2022 1:02pm
Been there. I chose not to wear my kidney belt one ride and of course it was that ride where I wrecked and took a handlebar to the guess where?? Yep.

The Shop

whyZ
10/25/2022 3:25pm
Even years later I look at my knee and think, "what if I wasn't wearing my knee guards." It was just after Christmas and was jonesn' to get some laps in while on vacation. Most my friends were busy with family or out of town so I thought, "it's just a few laps, what could possibly go wrong"...lol.

Pretty slow day, and not a whole bunch of riders out. I had put in a few mid-range sessions of 9-10 laps and decided one more and should be good to go. Pushed out 4-5 laps, then got to thinking, "don't want to overdo it, feeling all right to go out tonight, wonder what so-and-so is doing...", thinking about everything else but riding my bike. Came up to the last gap to table, and with a little blip, call it a day.

Well, while not paying attention I had drifted a little to the left and blipped it in a puddle of slop at the base of the face. Traction lost and lifting off the peak with a slight whiskey. Front wheel is still online, but the back wheel is drifting out from under me and to the left. With my right leg now off the peg I'm in an off camber one legged boner right into the table face. My right leg drifted back some and landed. My right toe hit first, dragged a little and forced my knee dead solid perfect into the peg.

As I'm lying on the ground doing the self-sensation test, nothing is registering. Damn...no pain!! Start to get up and collect myself and notice my right leg won't straighten out. Got back to the pits, pulled my down and my new FOX knee guards, aluminum capped knee with hinged shin guard was dented and stuck. The dent was the perfect impression of my foot peg. Knee was a little scuffed, but no pian. So, I agree "Wear the gear, folks."

Broseph
10/25/2022 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2022 4:00pm
whyZ wrote:
Even years later I look at my knee and think, "what if I wasn't wearing my knee guards." It was just after Christmas and was jonesn'...
Even years later I look at my knee and think, "what if I wasn't wearing my knee guards." It was just after Christmas and was jonesn' to get some laps in while on vacation. Most my friends were busy with family or out of town so I thought, "it's just a few laps, what could possibly go wrong"...lol.

Pretty slow day, and not a whole bunch of riders out. I had put in a few mid-range sessions of 9-10 laps and decided one more and should be good to go. Pushed out 4-5 laps, then got to thinking, "don't want to overdo it, feeling all right to go out tonight, wonder what so-and-so is doing...", thinking about everything else but riding my bike. Came up to the last gap to table, and with a little blip, call it a day.

Well, while not paying attention I had drifted a little to the left and blipped it in a puddle of slop at the base of the face. Traction lost and lifting off the peak with a slight whiskey. Front wheel is still online, but the back wheel is drifting out from under me and to the left. With my right leg now off the peg I'm in an off camber one legged boner right into the table face. My right leg drifted back some and landed. My right toe hit first, dragged a little and forced my knee dead solid perfect into the peg.

As I'm lying on the ground doing the self-sensation test, nothing is registering. Damn...no pain!! Start to get up and collect myself and notice my right leg won't straighten out. Got back to the pits, pulled my down and my new FOX knee guards, aluminum capped knee with hinged shin guard was dented and stuck. The dent was the perfect impression of my foot peg. Knee was a little scuffed, but no pian. So, I agree "Wear the gear, folks."

Similar experience, but with the cheap Fox Titan Race knee pads ($40 or so).

Was gearing up for an offroad race and forgot to put kneepads on. Paused for a moment and considered not wearing them. Thankfully decided to undress and put them on with little time to spare.

In the race I was cooking through this rocky section letting that Yamaha suspension work. Caught a couple rocks wrong and before I knew it the bike and I were lowsided, airborne, and of course headed for another rock. The swingarm hit first and my knee followed it right up. Matching dents on the swingarm and my kneepad. Knee was instantly on fire and I was fearing the worst. Thankfully started to recover in the following days and within a couple weeks was back to normal. No doubt those ligaments would have been torn had it not been for the extra cushion of that cheap little padded plastic kneepad.

Wear your stuff! Even if it’s cheap it’s way better than nothing.
clarkgray432
Fantasy
3911th
10/25/2022 4:11pm
Had a similar crash at Glen Helen. Left the finish line wide open flying W, landed feet first and the bike somehow landed on top of me from what I hear. Ride GH all the time idk what the hell happened haha Got shafted and ended up with broken ankles and a broken pelvis socket. When I started reading your post I thought I was going to read about the same injuries. Stoked to hear you got out of it okay!! And yes wear the gear. If it wasn’t for knee braces I think my knees would have blown out as well
Phil109
10/25/2022 7:17pm
Helped tend to a guy that ate total buns over a small table at three palms in Conroe, Tx Saturday morning. He was out cold and his left elbow/arm was toast. Initially when he was out and wasn’t moving we were worried he was paralyzed. He eventually came to and started moving his legs and arms thankfully. Really made me want to put my bike up for the day. Had only ridden about 3 laps and didn’t want anymore after seeing that. Such an easy section and just took this dude clean out. Hate this part about the sport. I need to get better protective gear for sure. He had I think a really nice Troy Lee helmet on which good thing. It might have been worse with some junk like I wear.
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
10/25/2022 10:48pm
Some kids learn the hard way. When my nephew was little we took him to Wildomar to ride around on his KX100. He had ridden quite a bit by then and seemed confident that he was going to be the next McGrath. He had a brand new chest protector but didn't want to wear it because "the pros don't" and he didn't think it was cool. Wildomar is slippery dg with little rocks everywhere. So he's ripping along, loses the front end and gets launched over the bars like superman. He lands on his chest and slides a fair distance to a stop. He comes in crying and all shaky with blood showing through his newly ripped jersey. We get his jersey off him and he's got some good strawberry's with a couple gouges where he slid across the rocks. So after he calms down a bit I told him, "It's a good thing you didn't have your new chest protector on", "you'd of scratched it all up" Mom and Dad laughed, he didn't. Next desert trip he wore every piece of gear he had Grinning
Richy
10/26/2022 1:54am
whyZ wrote:
Even years later I look at my knee and think, "what if I wasn't wearing my knee guards." It was just after Christmas and was jonesn'...

The "last lap" / "last run" / "last jump" curse is real, isn't it.

I've been a dick for not wearing knee protection since starting riding again, ironic since my knees are battered, bought a few sets but they feel weird, gonna try TP199's next.

No consequences yet, but cheers for the reminder to get things in order and glad it worked out for you that time. I'm still trying to remember not to do the classic stick your hands out thing on slow tip overs...
quadmx301
Fantasy
2927th
10/26/2022 10:00pm
I really like my TP199s for what it’s worth. Best bang for the buck IMO
SonofThor32
10/27/2022 8:44am
I am with you. I am also learning that as you approach 50, bangs and bruises and twists and sprains, act like the suffering is just beginning a week later just when you begin to think "sweet, that wasn't so bad!!". Recovery time is 3X what it was in my early riding days.

While we are thanking our gear, I would like to thank my SG12s and Leatt dual axis knee guards.

Post a reply to: Wear the gear, folks!

The Latest