We were robbed by the AMA tonight

B DUB 333
Edited Date/Time 4/12/2018 8:48pm
8 minute main for the 250's 10 minutes for the 450's because it's muddy? Then they remove the whoops.... I thought these guys made big bucks and we're pros. I don't care how muddy, cold, dry, or foggy it is. We were robbed.
|
MotoMo165
4/7/2018 11:10pm
You should call into pulp to let us know how you really feel
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:12pm
Did my explanation leave you confused?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/7/2018 11:12pm
In the press conference, Eli suggested that it would have been a bike graveyard out there if they had gone the normal 20 minutes.
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 11:18pm
It seems impossible to me a normal clutch would go that fast? Do they use shaved down fiber clutches or anything? And I think if you go into a mudder you would use very little clutch because you know it's going to be hard on it, but I'm not a pro, at motocross that is, so I may be wrong. But it looked like some guys clutches were smoking after a couple of laps. How did the guys in the 80's and 90's make them last?

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/7/2018 11:18pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
It seems impossible to me a normal clutch would go that fast? Do they use shaved down fiber clutches or anything? And I think if you...
It seems impossible to me a normal clutch would go that fast? Do they use shaved down fiber clutches or anything? And I think if you go into a mudder you would use very little clutch because you know it's going to be hard on it, but I'm not a pro, at motocross that is, so I may be wrong. But it looked like some guys clutches were smoking after a couple of laps. How did the guys in the 80's and 90's make them last?
You don't think 450s are harder on clutches than 250s were back then?
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:20pm
Yeah I suppose so, but are clutches the same size? More torque bigger clutch I'd think, I don't know. It's a serious question, they don't seem real stout that's for sure
jeffro503
4/7/2018 11:20pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
It seems impossible to me a normal clutch would go that fast? Do they use shaved down fiber clutches or anything? And I think if you...
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:21pm
School me then fro.... why is it a stupid question.
tkimb
4/7/2018 11:23pm
Even with those times bikes were dying, probably would have been 5 bikes still going at 20 minutes.
jeffro503
4/7/2018 11:23pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
Yeah I suppose so, but are clutches the same size? More torque bigger clutch I'd think, I don't know. It's a serious question, they don't seem...
Yeah I suppose so, but are clutches the same size? More torque bigger clutch I'd think, I don't know. It's a serious question, they don't seem real stout that's for sure
In those conditions.....every clutch , in every bike got toasted. You see all the privateer bikes doing the same thing right? Smoking like bastards. You think they have factory clutches in there? 4 stroke , 2 stroke.....it doesn't matter , they wouldn't last more than 15 - 20 mins in those conditions. If they would have gone the full 20 , I would be surprised if more than a handful of bikes would of made it to the finish.
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:28pm
So if they are using custom clutches, as your post implies, why not use stock in the mud or have a set up for it? The heats were almost as long as the mains tonight. Am I the only one who.likes mud races? I'm of the old school, I don't think making something easier in a sporting event is progress, it's 2018 but the bikes don't last as long as a 1980 model? I stand on my "we were robbed" comment
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:29pm
Not trying to argue either, just curious
jeffro503
4/7/2018 11:33pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
So if they are using custom clutches, as your post implies, why not use stock in the mud or have a set up for it? The...
So if they are using custom clutches, as your post implies, why not use stock in the mud or have a set up for it? The heats were almost as long as the mains tonight. Am I the only one who.likes mud races? I'm of the old school, I don't think making something easier in a sporting event is progress, it's 2018 but the bikes don't last as long as a 1980 model? I stand on my "we were robbed" comment
Exactly the opposite of what I said. I said " Even the privateer's bikes were smoking " .....they aren't using anything that me and you couldn't buy. The factory bikes , I would think they probably use the same , maybe slightly modified , I don't know. The power these bikes put out , in those conditions.....they weren't going to last. Heck , go back and watch some 80's and 90's races.....exactly the same thing , if not worse! The 2 stroke era , guys were fanning the shit out of them. The clutches now days are much , much stronger.......but again , anything with fail in conditions like what we saw tonight.
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:34pm
Can you imagine the smell of reeds bike at the finish? I'm sure everyone here has smelled burnt clutches, one of the worst smells ever-
RickyRoss519
Fantasy
2351st
4/7/2018 11:35pm
I don't want to try and make comparisons but clutches seem to make it most often in a 3 hour mudder harescramble. Different styles of racing but end of the day it's still a dirt bike.
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:37pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
So if they are using custom clutches, as your post implies, why not use stock in the mud or have a set up for it? The...
jeffro503 wrote:
Exactly the opposite of what I said. I said " Even the privateer's bikes were smoking " .....they aren't using anything that me and you couldn't...
Exactly the opposite of what I said. I said " Even the privateer's bikes were smoking " .....they aren't using anything that me and you couldn't buy. The factory bikes , I would think they probably use the same , maybe slightly modified , I don't know. The power these bikes put out , in those conditions.....they weren't going to last. Heck , go back and watch some 80's and 90's races.....exactly the same thing , if not worse! The 2 stroke era , guys were fanning the shit out of them. The clutches now days are much , much stronger.......but again , anything with fail in conditions like what we saw tonight.
I'll have to check out some old races, I don't remember them being cut short, like ever, and yes I see what your saying now, the privateer bikes were blowing up too with I'm sure stock clutch plates
M-M
4/7/2018 11:38pm
Those conditions are normal for bikes in the UK. Don't know what the big deal is.
drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
4/7/2018 11:43pm
When I talked to Eric Gass a few years ago, he said the ran all stock Yamaha clutch components in Webb's bike. I asked because I saw them swapping clutches and they all looked stock.
B DUB 333
4/7/2018 11:46pm
drenmaster wrote:
When I talked to Eric Gass a few years ago, he said the ran all stock Yamaha clutch components in Webb's bike. I asked because I...
When I talked to Eric Gass a few years ago, he said the ran all stock Yamaha clutch components in Webb's bike. I asked because I saw them swapping clutches and they all looked stock.
Burning out a clutch in like seven minutes, like tonight, wow. I must not use my clutch properly because I can go through a couple top ends before I need to do the clutch.
jeffro503
4/7/2018 11:51pm
M-M wrote:
Those conditions are normal for bikes in the UK. Don't know what the big deal is.
I guess the UK gets all the strong clutches? I guess our bikes here use the same ones as the Honda Vespa's.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
4/7/2018 11:55pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
8 minute main for the 250's 10 minutes for the 450's because it's muddy? Then they remove the whoops.... I thought these guys made big bucks...
8 minute main for the 250's 10 minutes for the 450's because it's muddy? Then they remove the whoops.... I thought these guys made big bucks and we're pros. I don't care how muddy, cold, dry, or foggy it is. We were robbed.
Yeah, I mean while it was obvious more bikes would have died and the track gotten worse, bottom
line is tickets were sold for 15 and 20 minute mains. Anyone that bought a gallon of milk and received a half gallon would be pissed, and rightfully so. Shortening races is no different. If gncc and hard enduro guys a can make it more than 12 minutes, one would think mx teams could also figure it out.
jeffro503
4/7/2018 11:55pm
drenmaster wrote:
When I talked to Eric Gass a few years ago, he said the ran all stock Yamaha clutch components in Webb's bike. I asked because I...
B DUB 333 wrote:
Burning out a clutch in like seven minutes, like tonight, wow. I must not use my clutch properly because I can go through a couple top...
Burning out a clutch in like seven minutes, like tonight, wow. I must not use my clutch properly because I can go through a couple top ends before I need to do the clutch.
To be fair....I'm sure everyone's clutches were pretty hammered , but a lot of the smoke and steam you saw was the radiator overflows. They were getting extremely hot. You notice how Emig said something about Reeds bike about 2 - 3 laps from the end? That his bike stopped blowing steam ( not good! ).....and smoke started coming out. 1 lap later.....clutch melted. Along with some other motor parts.
4/8/2018 12:20am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2018 12:21am
One issue with clutches is that the models that run a single diaphram type conical spring only have about 2-3mm of travel before they lose clamping pressure on the clutch plates. Six coil springs have about 12mm of travel, so if each clutch plate wears-down .2 of a mil, that's game-over for a single diaphram spring but the long coil spring still has pressure on the plates.

l had a bike with a single conical spring, after a few practise starts l lost 100% of drive to the rear wheel.

lF YOUR NOT A FACTORY RIDER, STAY CLEAR OF SINGLE DIAPHRAM SPRINGS.
JB 19
4/8/2018 12:22am
I wonder what the GNCC guys would think of these guys burning a clutch up in 10 minutes.....since they race 3 HOURS in the same conditions. For God's sake, you can't slip the clutch every second in a mud race. How many GP guys are laughing at this stuff?
jeffro503
4/8/2018 12:28am
JB 19 wrote:
I wonder what the GNCC guys would think of these guys burning a clutch up in 10 minutes.....since they race 3 HOURS in the same conditions...
I wonder what the GNCC guys would think of these guys burning a clutch up in 10 minutes.....since they race 3 HOURS in the same conditions. For God's sake, you can't slip the clutch every second in a mud race. How many GP guys are laughing at this stuff?
There was a 2 time world champion out there tonight , who took 3rd.....and roasted the shit out of his clutch too.
tkimb
4/8/2018 12:33am
They also knew how the race was, the conditions etc. Top guys get free parts, why not get the most out of them? No sense in trying to save it, use the hell out of it for the 10 minutes to go as fast as possible.
Feel a little bad for the privateers wallet racing in that though
drt410
4/8/2018 1:57am
We werent robbed lol. See reeds bike? There was 10 more of those coming if it went another 10 minutes. Plus he would have DNF’d.

Post a reply to: We were robbed by the AMA tonight

The Latest