This new format is a no-brainer for TV

Premixed112
1/16/2018 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2018 4:32am
Look at how much better and seamlessly the night show flows with this format. Less dead time in between races, easy to follow for new comers, and the overall program is shorter. Much better TV package. I really hope they adopt this full time asap.

|
1/16/2018 1:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 1:18pm
I'm all for strictly points-paying races during the televised portion with qualifications during the day. Who on earth wants to see two hours of qualifying in prime time? Who actually wants to bring back the semis? (That made it worse, not better.) Who ever wanted to watch a "last-chance qualifier"? Ever.

My only gripe is that the varying lengths of the races are gimmicky. I'd rather see two long-ish races races per class, which would be analogous to real motocross.

But, hey, it's Supercross, which is a gimmick by definition.

Premixed112
1/16/2018 1:33pm
I'm all for strictly points-paying races during the televised portion with qualifications during the day. Who on earth wants to see two hours of qualifying in...
I'm all for strictly points-paying races during the televised portion with qualifications during the day. Who on earth wants to see two hours of qualifying in prime time? Who actually wants to bring back the semis? (That made it worse, not better.) Who ever wanted to watch a "last-chance qualifier"? Ever.

My only gripe is that the varying lengths of the races are gimmicky. I'd rather see two long-ish races races per class, which would be analogous to real motocross.

Exactly! Like many others have said on here, for the hardcore fans they can show the qualifiers on another channel or better yet they could even include a pre-show highlight reel of the qualifiers and then get to the races that really matter. I don't care much about the lengths of the races, they might change that over time as well.
Motofinne
1/16/2018 1:33pm
I'm fine with mains for the TV only.

But i want to see everything through a streaming service.
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
1/16/2018 1:38pm
I'm all for strictly points-paying races during the televised portion with qualifications during the day. Who on earth wants to see two hours of qualifying in...

Who? Privateers. If it was this format all the time, you'd see very few of the privateers make the night show.

The Shop

Johnny Depp
1/16/2018 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 1:58pm
Yes, this weekend is the most important of the format changes that took a long time to arrive. We may not be done with future changes, but I am glad to see them trying something new. We could all find lots of negatives, but the positive is we won't have to DVR and fast forward through all of the races that don't matter, because there won't be any. Well except for the 50's, which is a revenue generator and needs to go also. Sorry for the privateers, but this is the big leagues. I would rather each moto payed points.

Premixed, that is a nice seat cover!
kkawboy14
1/16/2018 1:51pm

GuyB wrote:
Who? Privateers. If it was this format all the time, you'd see very few of the privateers make the night show.
Other than collecting their entry fees and mechanics fees (kinda like how the poker industry trickles the money up to the top guys) this industry hasn’t cared a whole lot about the Privateers!
Pirate421
1/16/2018 1:54pm
I’m for this format also. Qualify during the day and have the best 22 on the track at all times. The privateers have a way to get in through qualifying and if they aren’t fast enough, then they aren’t fast enough. The lcq is somewhat entertaining because of desperation and carnage but those guys, compared to the top 22, are pretty painful to watch. I’d rather see points paying championship races all night. This is professional super cross on prime time tv, I know it sort of kills the weekend warrior privateer but they get a fair shot in qualifying.
1/16/2018 1:57pm
I am looking forward to it, I think it will be better. And I think the privateers that make the night show have a better chance of a higher overall position for the night....Looking forward to the weekend.
akillerwombat
1/16/2018 2:01pm
... kinda surprised how few people like watching anything that comes before the main around here.

I personally enjoy it all; practice, qualifying, heats, semi's, LCQ's, etc... the more the better as we really only get 17 days a year to enjoy it.
Premixed112
1/16/2018 2:03pm
... kinda surprised how few people like watching anything that comes before the main around here. I personally enjoy it all; practice, qualifying, heats, semi's, LCQ's...
... kinda surprised how few people like watching anything that comes before the main around here.

I personally enjoy it all; practice, qualifying, heats, semi's, LCQ's, etc... the more the better as we really only get 17 days a year to enjoy it.
It's not that I don't enjoy it, in fact I stream raceday live and watch all of the practices. But for the sake of the TV package that's on a major channel, I would like the night program to be more simple and tightened up for people that are new or for the purposes of bringing new people in.
akillerwombat
1/16/2018 2:06pm
It's not that I don't enjoy it, in fact I stream raceday live and watch all of the practices. But for the sake of the TV...
It's not that I don't enjoy it, in fact I stream raceday live and watch all of the practices. But for the sake of the TV package that's on a major channel, I would like the night program to be more simple and tightened up for people that are new or for the purposes of bringing new people in.
This is an attempt at retaining viewership – not generating new viewership.
tobz
1/16/2018 2:10pm
GuyB wrote:
There's a fine line between trying to reach new audiences and expanding the sport to a more professional level and keeping the sport agricultural enough that ronnie ford's can get their 3 seconds of airtime.
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
1/16/2018 2:12pm
tobz wrote:
There's a fine line between trying to reach new audiences and expanding the sport to a more professional level and keeping the sport agricultural enough that...
There's a fine line between trying to reach new audiences and expanding the sport to a more professional level and keeping the sport agricultural enough that ronnie ford's can get their 3 seconds of airtime.
I think that experiment is about over.
neverwas
Fantasy
844th
1/16/2018 2:13pm

I am the guy that wants to watch the LCQ and all of the other races that go along with the whole program.
Not always but sometimes the best racing happens in those races.Many times the main events are runaways and not much actual racing.
More gate drops for me.
jgmxdad251
1/16/2018 2:17pm
... kinda surprised how few people like watching anything that comes before the main around here. I personally enjoy it all; practice, qualifying, heats, semi's, LCQ's...

It's not that I don't enjoy it, in fact I stream raceday live and watch all of the practices. But for the sake of the TV...
Adding four more mains isn't exactly a way to make racing more simpler for new viewers to understand. It's cool for a few rounds but, hopefully that's it! Have to agree with wombat on this one.
1/16/2018 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 2:45pm
How about if they did it this way?

Three moto night show format. Fast 44 make the field. 22 separate riders in each of moto 1 and 2, alternating by qualifying times.

Top 11 from each of Moto 1/2 make Moto 3. Best 2 motos of the day wins with Moto 3 being tiebreaker.

1/16/2018 3:24pm

I want to see semis and LCQ's. What real moto fan wouldn't?
kzizok
Fantasy
1876th
1/16/2018 3:28pm
Motofinne wrote:
I'm fine with mains for the TV only.

But i want to see everything through a streaming service.
That is a great idea.
Titan1
1/16/2018 4:55pm
I thought I was alone in the fact that I didn't care to watch the heats or LCQ's (I fast forward them...because the racing is boring...for the most part...though I did watch them all at Houston, because that track was really good)-I even find myself fast forwarding the mains sometimes...and that reality can't speak well to the state of supercross....if so many of us die hard fans are bored with the racing (or don't care to watch them live...for whatever reason)...how are they ever going to attract new eye balls that start to follow the sport and eventually buy a bike?

Is supercross that stale? Or are we just so de-sensitized to extreme sports that watching dudes jump 70 foot triples and skim waste high whoops just not "extreme" enough to peak our interest any more? The only thing that gets me excited these days is passing...there isn't nearly enough of that in Supercross these days.
akillerwombat
1/16/2018 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 5:12pm
Titan1 wrote:
I thought I was alone in the fact that I didn't care to watch the heats or LCQ's (I fast forward them...because the racing is boring...for...
I thought I was alone in the fact that I didn't care to watch the heats or LCQ's (I fast forward them...because the racing is boring...for the most part...though I did watch them all at Houston, because that track was really good)-I even find myself fast forwarding the mains sometimes...and that reality can't speak well to the state of supercross....if so many of us die hard fans are bored with the racing (or don't care to watch them live...for whatever reason)...how are they ever going to attract new eye balls that start to follow the sport and eventually buy a bike?

Is supercross that stale? Or are we just so de-sensitized to extreme sports that watching dudes jump 70 foot triples and skim waste high whoops just not "extreme" enough to peak our interest any more? The only thing that gets me excited these days is passing...there isn't nearly enough of that in Supercross these days.
It's not stale; it's just the result of having so many seasons afters seasons end without a climax.

The basic idea behind sports is that the narrative will get exponentially more dramatic as the season draws to a close (exciting start, little lull in the middle, excitement about making the play offs, excitement in the playoffs, and an exciting championship game(s)) where as Supercross has more often than not proven itself to unfold in the exact opposite manor. Our first race is our most exciting, nearly everyone shows up healthy, and "anyone" can win where as our last race of the year, only those who survived the season shows up (or those opting to finish the season vs prepping for outdoors) and more than likely someone has already won the championship.

Hard to make each week exciting when you know it's probably not going to lead anywhere dramatic in the end.
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3616th
1/16/2018 5:29pm
Will the LCQ’s be streamed on Race Day Live like practice/qualifying?

Some of the best racing takes place in the semi’s & LCQ’s, desperation racing to make the main at its finest. Goes incredibly well with a few drinks in the system, too.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
822nd
1/16/2018 5:50pm

GuyB wrote:
There's always Arenacross.
sickboy3636
1/16/2018 5:58pm
Kinda shocked how many "race fans" here will fast forward through half the program.......and some are fast forwarding mains!? I gotta say, you just must not enjoy racing all that much if thats the case. I'm will the others, there are very few days a year I get to see racing.....and I enjoy plopping down and soaking in every second of it. Any racing sport under the sun has dead points, even in the mains. But to truly enjoy the bar banging that comes mid race or towards the end, you gotta understand the dynamics and development of the race. Maybe I'm in the minority in thinking that they're trying to fix something that isn't broken. I mean A1 viewership this year, in stadium and out of the stadium was as high as its ever been. I certainly don't see a sport thats dying, much to the contrary. And with that being said, I don't want SX to turn into the next WWE/NFL/NBA. The sport is growing and I know many people that have grown interested in it over the past 5 years who don't even ride. If we continue down this road, its gonna lead to penalty flags, challenges, replays and ultimately flopping. I love my racing.......so leave it the hell alone.
tcallahan707
1/16/2018 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2018 6:21pm
I love the LCQ's. Always.

Here is my take on what is happening (even though I hate it). We are transitioning from a participation sport to a spectator sport. This means industry companies are going to lose. If that's the case, then we need outside sponsors to support the "show". In order to do so, the production needs to be about the business of entertainment, growing the fanbase, and selling tickets as opposed to being about the "sport". Stick and balls sports have evolved to be a better show, which increased it's popularity. Hopefully, as the show gets bigger, more kids grow up seeing it on TV and want to ride dirt bikes. I don't see it happening though. SX/MX aren't as accessible for the common kid (communities build playing fields, not tracks) and aren't school supported sports that kids can try out and see if they like it. We are the new NASCAR, which is great for the top competitors' paychecks, but how many of those fans go spend money on building carts and cars for their kids?

Be prepared for more advertising, a lot of changes to the format and rules, and no more privateers.
yak651
Fantasy
167th
1/16/2018 6:35pm
Yeah LCQs are many times the best races of the night! I like watching them, many times they have riders I can relate to as they have been to a local race in the last couple years so recognize their names.

1/16/2018 6:52pm
Under notes:

Alternates may be added to the evening program. Ok, someone explain this wording.

Racer111
1/16/2018 6:57pm

I actually like the heat races. And the LCQ’s have some of the best racing if the night. I’m old school though. The young pups just don’t have any patience. To each their own.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
425th
1/16/2018 7:12pm
Under notes: [b]Alternates may be added to the evening program.[/b] Ok, someone explain this wording. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/16/238503/s1200_Image_1.jpg[/img]
Under notes:

Alternates may be added to the evening program. Ok, someone explain this wording.

It means that if someone in the top 18 pulls out with injury, they will substitute in 19th place as an alternate. It's not a provisional for a title contender.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
425th
1/16/2018 7:14pm
I just hope the stadium is ready to open at 11am (an hour earlier than A1 and normal schedule) so we can watch free practice.

Post a reply to: This new format is a no-brainer for TV

The Latest