Has There Ever Been A SX Winner Not Win A Main (Moto)?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/16/2018 9:32 PM

Back in the day, in the early to mid '70's, SX used the motocross format to determine the winner. Sometimes it was 4 moto's instead of 3. Not sure if any of those riders ever won a SX without winning a "moto".

Now here we are 40 years later and we could possibly, but not likely, have a SX winner with out them winning a "Main".

With the good starts that Barcia has had so far, he is in a good position to take advantage of the format this weekend at Anaheim.

|

1/16/2018 9:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2018 9:39 PM

We'll find out in 38 laps.

|

1/16/2018 10:16 PM

Marty Tripes won the first ever Superbowl of Motocross with a 2-2-2 score.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/16/2018 10:37 PM

Zoom wrote:

Back in the day, in the early to mid '70's, SX used the motocross format to determine the winner. Sometimes it was 4 moto's instead of 3. Not sure if any of those riders ever won a SX without winning a "moto".

Now here we are 40 years later and we could possibly, but not likely, have a SX winner with out them winning a "Main".

With the good starts that Barcia has had so far, he is in a good position to take advantage of the format this weekend at Anaheim.

in a multi main event format, just like motocross, yes you can easily have someone not take 1st in a moto and win the overall. it happens all the time in outdoors.

not that unfathomable

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

1/17/2018 1:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 1:11 AM

Zoom wrote:

Back in the day, in the early to mid '70's, SX used the motocross format to determine the winner. Sometimes it was 4 moto's instead of 3. Not sure if any of those riders ever won a SX without winning a "moto".

Now here we are 40 years later and we could possibly, but not likely, have a SX winner with out them winning a "Main".

With the good starts that Barcia has had so far, he is in a good position to take advantage of the format this weekend at Anaheim.

Travis Preston lites

|

1/17/2018 1:57 AM

tim ferry

|

1/17/2018 3:12 AM

There may have been in 85 also when they had a 2 moto format .The vault has the overall winners from that season and not the moto winners though.

|

1/17/2018 4:57 AM

thrillbillie91 wrote:

tim ferry

And Matthes just took his shirt offlaughing

|

1/17/2018 5:08 AM

Detroit 2016. Anderson “won” after Dungey was penalized.

|

Throttle therapy = "Any day is a good to ride...any bike is a good bike to ride...just a twist of the wrist."

1/17/2018 5:35 AM

It won't happen this year....Roczen will win a race.

|

1/17/2018 5:59 AM

Dungey win the SX cup in Germany without a moto win. Herlings gajser febvre won the motos but then had problems in the other motos

|

1/17/2018 8:25 AM

Zoom wrote:

Back in the day, in the early to mid '70's, SX used the motocross format to determine the winner. Sometimes it was 4 moto's instead of 3. Not sure if any of those riders ever won a SX without winning a "moto".

Now here we are 40 years later and we could possibly, but not likely, have a SX winner with out them winning a "Main".

With the good starts that Barcia has had so far, he is in a good position to take advantage of the format this weekend at Anaheim.

dmc142 wrote:

Travis Preston lites

Preston won 2 125 mains in 02 on the honda to win the title

|

1/17/2018 9:08 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

There may have been in 85 also when they had a 2 moto format .The vault has the overall winners from that season and not the moto winners though.

Curious how points were awarded per moto/main in 1985's SX 2-moto format. From the results in AMA's magazine back then...
Photo

|

1/17/2018 9:14 AM

keinz wrote:

And Matthes just took his shirt offlaughing

Thanks for putting that image into my head! sick

|

1/17/2018 9:15 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

There may have been in 85 also when they had a 2 moto format .The vault has the overall winners from that season and not the moto winners though.

Ted722 wrote:

Curious how points were awarded per moto/main in 1985's SX 2-moto format. From the results in AMA's magazine back then...
Photo

Hmm . I didnt think the final points looked much different from other seasons with a similar number of rounds that year but maybe Im mistaken .

|

1/17/2018 9:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 9:32 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

There may have been in 85 also when they had a 2 moto format .The vault has the overall winners from that season and not the moto winners though.

Wow,

Some of you missed the question. (Not atk).

It wasn't about a title, it was about an EVENT winner.

Atk pilot is correct. In 85 supercross ran a 2 ten lap main event format.

If memory serves correctly, mark barnett won atlanta with a pair of seconds on a kawasaki.

I also think that was his last supercross win.

There may have been others that took wins the same way that year. I just remember that one specifically because it was barnett and I was there.

|