Watching professional riders live vs tv

js451
1/15/2020 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 10:45pm
I was working right near my local track today and heard some bikes fire up and start riding the track. I told my boss I was going to use the toilets at the club and went to have a look. It was a few pro riders one of which was dean Ferris.

Holy shit I have never seen someone ride a dirt bike so fast in person. I love watching the AMA supercross and motocross series so I know what fast looks like on tv but I haven’t seen many fast riders live here in QLD. Maybe because it was on the same track that I race on but I have a new found massive amount of respect for the. Guys at the top. Absolutely mind blowing and made my day
|
MotoChris
1/15/2020 6:55pm
It is shocking, the first time you see a pro in person. The bike just sounds different and they are so precise and deliberate with every movement.
loftyair
1/15/2020 7:01pm
If you havent seen a top pro live in action, preferably at a track you are familiar with, you really don't know how the incredibe speed is possible. You have to see it to really know top moto.
aeffertz
1/15/2020 7:03pm
I don't know if I'm in the minority judging by the CA track days, but every time I'm on the track and there are pros also spinning laps, I will just pull off until theyre done. It seems like some people go out of their way to ride the same days as them but I get way to nervous I might get whiskey and take them out since the only luck I have is terrible luck.
js451
1/15/2020 7:09pm
MotoChris wrote:
It is shocking, the first time you see a pro in person. The bike just sounds different and they are so precise and deliberate with every...
It is shocking, the first time you see a pro in person. The bike just sounds different and they are so precise and deliberate with every movement.
The jumping of acceleration bumps mid corner (it’s a sand track) was unreal. I seen him coming into corners thinking there is no way he is going to make that!

The Shop

1/15/2020 7:48pm
Here in SoCal we get to ride on the SAME TRACK as them during the week, because they all go to the local tracks and the tracks are open to public.

It's absolutely insane how fast they blow by you on a track. Making defying the laws of physics look easy. Its incredible.

TV does not do it justice at all.
js451
1/15/2020 7:50pm
😂😂 I can see that happening!
captmoto
1/15/2020 7:52pm
Even though California sucks, it's a weekly experience here. Today there were a bunch of privateers at State Fair MX Park practicing on the SX track. I know there were privateers there that might not make the main at A2, but holy shit watching those guys hit the woops and triples out of corners from 15' away was amazing.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
1/15/2020 7:53pm
TV makes it look way too easy. The guy rolling around n 20th in a SX will look like a superstar n person at a local track.
Their speed is so beyond anything a “regular” rider can imagine
Dougy1
1/15/2020 8:08pm
js451 wrote:
I was working right near my local track today and heard some bikes fire up and start riding the track. I told my boss I was...
I was working right near my local track today and heard some bikes fire up and start riding the track. I told my boss I was going to use the toilets at the club and went to have a look. It was a few pro riders one of which was dean Ferris.

Holy shit I have never seen someone ride a dirt bike so fast in person. I love watching the AMA supercross and motocross series so I know what fast looks like on tv but I haven’t seen many fast riders live here in QLD. Maybe because it was on the same track that I race on but I have a new found massive amount of respect for the. Guys at the top. Absolutely mind blowing and made my day
Classic totally agree I just watched Dean Ferris with my son at Qd moto park last week ..
Holy shit balls he was flying ... my son said gee dad it looks wayy faster then TV ,even my misus who hates moto came and watched him and left super impressed and said she would go watch a round of the mx nationals or SX
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
1/15/2020 8:23pm
For this Reason or along these lines anyway is why I think that some one thats never ridden a dirt bike ever just can't really appreciate it. So when I hear them always trying to talk to and for the new fan or casual fan whatever that means. I think it's a waste of time. I've been around lots of people. With MX or SX on TV. Because I'm a huge fan and watch a lot.
And the ones that have never ridden Just don't care at all.
I Had a 12 year old boy at my house during the last race ST Louis. Wife's sister's kid. That's never ridden. Perfect example. But if you doubt it. Try it for yourself
Here is what I saw when I looked his way.
Shortly after the 450 main gate drop.
And it's not just him either. I've seen lots of others male and female walk through room with it on and keep walking right through to the next room.

Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
1/15/2020 8:24pm

Tonynz
1/15/2020 8:47pm
captmoto wrote:
Even though California sucks, it's a weekly experience here. Today there were a bunch of privateers at State Fair MX Park practicing on the SX track...
Even though California sucks, it's a weekly experience here. Today there were a bunch of privateers at State Fair MX Park practicing on the SX track. I know there were privateers there that might not make the main at A2, but holy shit watching those guys hit the woops and triples out of corners from 15' away was amazing.
I was out watching at State Fair today as well, my yearly trip to the USA. The privateers always amaze me, and how they save some thing that could go really bad, like Tanti did in the whoops he rode it out.
Tonynz
1/15/2020 8:49pm
captmoto wrote:
Even though California sucks, it's a weekly experience here. Today there were a bunch of privateers at State Fair MX Park practicing on the SX track...
We must have been standing close to each other.
aeffertz
1/15/2020 8:54pm
Tarz483 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/15/398359/s1200_Screenshot_20200115_222412_Gallery.jpg[/img]

To be honest, that probably looks just like me cruising the race discussion thread on race day. Grinning
captmoto
1/15/2020 9:28pm
Tonynz wrote:
I was sitting on my FC450 for about 10 minutes next to a 180 with the rhythm section in and two tables after the corner.
MBR
1/15/2020 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2020 11:07pm
You just can’t beat the internet, live or not! This is first 250 moto at Glen Helen a few years ago Sad Somehow the picture turned sideways on upload...
ledger
1/15/2020 9:34pm
It really is eye opening and heart pounding to watch the pro's going full speed...it can't be captured on the Telly. Sorry to bring up Nascar, but it's the same...200 mph is a blur at being trackside vs watching from your recliner.
mx617
1/15/2020 9:48pm
The corner speed is what blows my mind. I swear sometimes in sx they are accelerating into the corners and just cruising through the straights.
Tonynz
1/15/2020 9:57pm
Tonynz wrote:
captmoto wrote:
I was sitting on my FC450 for about 10 minutes next to a 180 with the rhythm section in and two tables after the corner.
I was standing , wearing the FMF the drop, Kurt Caselli t shirt and KTM cap. Remember seeing a Husky close by. We are off to Glen Helen tomorrow,

FWYT
1/15/2020 11:32pm
I'm still pretty much like these guys watching a National.

Barrett57
1/16/2020 12:00am
If you turn up at Lommel on the right day it's pretty impressive. Loads of riders from mxgp, mx2, and both emx classes, it's ridiculous how fast they get around that place.
Leedle
1/16/2020 12:43am
First time watching SX I was blown away. I love sitting in the first row and seeing/hearing them shift while they're still in the air heading into a corner. Nothing beats being at the races, the smell, the sound, and the atmosphere is unbeatable.
1/16/2020 1:07am
MotoChris wrote:
It is shocking, the first time you see a pro in person. The bike just sounds different and they are so precise and deliberate with every...
js451 wrote:
The jumping of acceleration bumps mid corner (it’s a sand track) was unreal. I seen him coming into corners thinking there is no way he is...
The jumping of acceleration bumps mid corner (it’s a sand track) was unreal. I seen him coming into corners thinking there is no way he is going to make that!
Then try to imagine that Herlings would make Ferris look slow in the sand. The speed of the guys at the top of the tree is incredible.
mmain62
1/16/2020 4:49am
Its very hard to convince people that have never even been around it how fast these guys are going and how insane it is to go that speed. Everyone I work with thinks that all I am doing on the weekends is sitting down riding a briggs and stratton mini bike around a field. People saying " All you do is sit down a turn the throttle , It can't be that hard" are seconds away from being flicked in the eyeball. I am a fan of everyone who does this sport for a living. Watching Herlings in Crawfordsville a couple years ago is still ingrained into my mind. Dude was insane .
408Jeepster
1/16/2020 4:59am
I was 12 when I went to my first pro mx at Budds Creek, the year Emig beat Laracco for the 125 title. This was back when it was two day format and 125/500 Nats. We were there on Saturday for practice, Emig was the first guy I saw on the track. He came around the section that is currently the finish line and I was just blown away. It was beyond comprehension. I still remember it clearly. I've been around the sport a long time now and have ridden at a pretty high level, anytime I see a top level pro in person, it is that same feeling of incomprehension.
katooom
1/16/2020 5:23am
Besides the crazy speed of the pros, what does not come across on TV is the pure physicality of the pounding the bikes/riders take. The noise/jolt of the bike hitting the ground, chain slap, engine bark, etc. Those guysfand bikes take a beating. Amazing the bikes hold up as well as they do.

Even we slow guys take a beating at the track, but the pros are just a whole different level of speed and physicality.
1/16/2020 5:57am
katooom wrote:
Besides the crazy speed of the pros, what does not come across on TV is the pure physicality of the pounding the bikes/riders take. The noise/jolt...
Besides the crazy speed of the pros, what does not come across on TV is the pure physicality of the pounding the bikes/riders take. The noise/jolt of the bike hitting the ground, chain slap, engine bark, etc. Those guysfand bikes take a beating. Amazing the bikes hold up as well as they do.

Even we slow guys take a beating at the track, but the pros are just a whole different level of speed and physicality.
Can’t forget the smell of race gas! Man when it was 2 strokes out there it was even better smelling.
slipdog
1/16/2020 6:56am
I was 12 when I went to my first pro mx at Budds Creek, the year Emig beat Laracco for the 125 title. This was back...
I was 12 when I went to my first pro mx at Budds Creek, the year Emig beat Laracco for the 125 title. This was back when it was two day format and 125/500 Nats. We were there on Saturday for practice, Emig was the first guy I saw on the track. He came around the section that is currently the finish line and I was just blown away. It was beyond comprehension. I still remember it clearly. I've been around the sport a long time now and have ridden at a pretty high level, anytime I see a top level pro in person, it is that same feeling of incomprehension.
That was the race where LaRocco had to pull off to the mechanic's area mid-race to fix a bent shifter or something if I recall correctly.
motomike137
1/16/2020 7:19am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 7:35am
I almost prefer in person for MX and TV for SX. Maybe it is because I never get to sit close enough to the race track indoors and you are locked into one vantage point typically. TV really gets me where I want to watch from for SX. Outdoors I never park it in one spot all day and I get as close to the action as possible from as many places as I can outdoors. Back to your point though I totally agree with how amazing it is to get up close and personal as these guys are throwing down. I've been a "pro" spectator since the seventies and have had so many of those "OMG" moments watching these guys and our latest crop of riders do not fail to deliver. Looking way way back my first one of those was watching Mike Hartwig absolutely pound the field into the dirt at a Delta Ohio Inter-Am in the mid seventies. The contrast between him and even the other "top guys" on that day was startling. Over the years I would say the other ones that stand at the top of my memory were performances by Hannah, Magoo, RJ, Bradshaw, RC, Bubba, "Bam" and Eli. I'm slightly addicted Wink

edit: I have to throw JMB onto my list. You never really realized how damn fast that guy was until he made the rare mistake and crashed. Then you realized that he made the near impossible look relatively easy.
bvm111
1/16/2020 7:24am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 7:24am
Not just the speed they go but the lines they use are so different in order to ride the speed, they just see the track differently than we mere mortals do!

Post a reply to: Watching professional riders live vs tv

The Latest