Washougals new 320ft start straight.

DanDunes818
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 10:24pm
We've all known for years they were going to have to do something about the Washougal start because the way it was for the last 7-8 years made the 1st turn a fight for survival. I'm not sure just moving it back 100 ft or so is going to make it that much better. It's still a 180 degree turn around a tree. They've had since I started riding there 3 different start locations and I've always thought this last one was by far the worst. I hope the extra 100 or so ft they added allows bikes to separate more before the 1st turn because you can really only be 10-15 bikes wide safely in that corner. Either way it should be interesting to watch.

This video is awesome though. I just love seeing that place as much as possible. IMO it's the most beautiful facility/place on earth and Ralph Huffman is probably the coolest track owner in the world.. When I close my eyes and think of the MX tracks in heaven they look just like Washougal. Thank you Ralph for all your years of fighting and working to keep MX heaven open for all the fans. We love you for it.

http://www.facebook.com/....php?v=1420842478752
|
Cody24
Fantasy
2695th
7/18/2010 10:51pm
I'll second that. Ralph is awesome. I can't wait to see how that start goes. Its been too much of a supercross start for too long. Gotta love shougal though. Its an amazing track.
Ddavis
7/18/2010 10:52pm
Washougal is the best place on earth. Well, that i've been to so far. Everyone is friendly, the track is great, and the history of that track is incredible.
observer
7/18/2010 11:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2010 11:08pm
Pretty cool Dan...thanks enjoyed that. I'll be there! Smile
FIREfish148
7/18/2010 11:29pm
Ive only missed 2 Nats there since 97. That place is like a home away from home to me. I remember the first time I walked in the gates they were running morning practice, and the first rider I saw was Ezra Lusk. My dad brought two disposable cameras and I used up both before the second practice was over lol.

The Shop

pilotdude
7/19/2010 1:26am
I was there today watering and the place is looking GREAT. I've been going since 1982 and have a sort of reverence for the place.

The new start is pretty awesome. It is longer, with a slight uphill slope to it. It runs from east to west and uses the same first turn, but there is now about a 60 degree left hand sweeping turn instead of the former 150 degree left turn.

I hope everyone makes it out, because it is looking like the conditions are going to be perfect and the track is looking excellent.
nytsmaC
7/19/2010 7:42am
The first turn is pretty brutal. When you get a bad start, you REALLY get a bad start there. Mini bottleneck right before horsepower hill. Last time I raced there I got bad starts in all 5 motos, it's not the track's fault though.
Racer92
7/19/2010 7:49am
Ive always wanted to ride that track, its on my 'to-do' list.
DanDunes818
7/19/2010 9:54am
pilotdude wrote:
I was there today watering and the place is looking GREAT. I've been going since 1982 and have a sort of reverence for the place. The...
I was there today watering and the place is looking GREAT. I've been going since 1982 and have a sort of reverence for the place.

The new start is pretty awesome. It is longer, with a slight uphill slope to it. It runs from east to west and uses the same first turn, but there is now about a 60 degree left hand sweeping turn instead of the former 150 degree left turn.

I hope everyone makes it out, because it is looking like the conditions are going to be perfect and the track is looking excellent.
Nice. From looking at the video it looks like the same 150-180 degree turn around the tree. It looked like all they did was push the gate back 100 ft or so. Nice to hear they turned it into a 60 degree sweeper. That will be much better. For the last 7 or so years they've been running the start around that tree you just hold your breath and hope everyone makes it through safely. Which seldom happened.. lol

This should be way better.
chip600
7/19/2010 10:17am
I haven't missed a national at that track since I was born in 91.
ktm764
7/19/2010 1:07pm
So looking forward to this weekend at Washougal I can't wait, I wish I could go today...
JW381
7/19/2010 1:53pm
Love the track, can't wait for Saturday. Haven't got to ride it yet this summer, but it's very high on my to-do list. I always have a blast when I do.
peelout719
7/19/2010 1:54pm
worst dirt i've ever raced on.

that said, washougal rocks.

we always sneaked vodka in gallon water bottles
JW381
7/19/2010 2:13pm
peelout719 wrote:

Yeah there's some pretty poorly soiled tracks in the NW, and Washougal still tops em all pretty much.

Comin back anytime soon?
Motodrew295
7/19/2010 2:22pm
Dan, you can see the old start running perpendicular to the new start. Its not just moved back, its moved to the side running along the hill making the first corner not such a tight angle.

I'll be running am days, I hope that we use the old/old gate up hill right-hand start with the gate that flinches.

And yes peelout the dirt is horrible. They need to start trucking in topsoil after all the years of erosion and mud races. The tire guy on The Moto said it best- the dirt looks awesome but there is very little traction.
JW381
7/19/2010 2:28pm
Dan, you can see the old start running perpendicular to the new start. Its not just moved back, its moved to the side running along the...
Dan, you can see the old start running perpendicular to the new start. Its not just moved back, its moved to the side running along the hill making the first corner not such a tight angle.

I'll be running am days, I hope that we use the old/old gate up hill right-hand start with the gate that flinches.

And yes peelout the dirt is horrible. They need to start trucking in topsoil after all the years of erosion and mud races. The tire guy on The Moto said it best- the dirt looks awesome but there is very little traction.
I heard a few people have offered to haul in sand for the entire track, but the Huffman's declined?
7/19/2010 2:31pm
peelout719 wrote:

JW381 wrote:
Yeah there's some pretty poorly soiled tracks in the NW, and Washougal still tops em all pretty much.

Comin back anytime soon?
It really is pretty deceiving dirt. In photo's it looks like moto heaven though. To you guys that wish to ride it, fantasy is sometimes better than the real thing.

Ralph is such a cool guy, he is amazing, having to put of with Carolyn and all Smile

peelout719
7/19/2010 2:32pm
maybe next year. not in the budget this year. i love riding that track though, my claim to fame is passing ryan huffman over the chuck sun/catchers mitt section and holding him back for a lap in the 125 pro class on amateur day. he beat me pretty handily, but i was pretty proud of myself for the weekend Smile
Camp332
7/19/2010 2:41pm
Big tree after 320 feet wide open.
raddad
7/19/2010 2:50pm
Dan, you can see the old start running perpendicular to the new start. Its not just moved back, its moved to the side running along the...

JW381 wrote:
I heard a few people have offered to haul in sand for the entire track, but the Huffman's declined?
Do they dig the track or just level it out before races?
JW381
7/19/2010 3:05pm
peelout719 wrote:
maybe next year. not in the budget this year. i love riding that track though, my claim to fame is passing ryan huffman over the chuck...
maybe next year. not in the budget this year. i love riding that track though, my claim to fame is passing ryan huffman over the chuck sun/catchers mitt section and holding him back for a lap in the 125 pro class on amateur day. he beat me pretty handily, but i was pretty proud of myself for the weekend Smile
Haha that's sick. Well if you do make it next year, holla at me. I won't be anywhere near you on the track, but I'll put some sick passes on you on the way back to the pits. You won't even know what hit ya.
JW381
7/19/2010 3:07pm

JW381 wrote:
raddad wrote:
They dig it, but they just dig down to the base. So it's lose wet stuff on top of a very hard slick base. Traction can be very hard to come by. If you ride it in March or April, it's the ruttiest track ever tho.
raddad
7/19/2010 3:11pm
Can't they dig it 2' or so? I wonder if there are to many tree roots to go deep? Anyway i always thought that they didn't dig it when i saw those slick spots come up so fast
JW381
7/19/2010 3:18pm
raddad wrote:
Can't they dig it 2' or so? I wonder if there are to many tree roots to go deep? Anyway i always thought that they didn't...
Can't they dig it 2' or so? I wonder if there are to many tree roots to go deep? Anyway i always thought that they didn't dig it when i saw those slick spots come up so fast
Well I think they've just dug it down too far over the years, searching for better soil, and now all the top soil is gone. Like I said, from my understanding, they're at the base, which isn't exactly ideal riding surface. What they need is new top soil to fill the little "trench" they've dug.
raddad
7/19/2010 3:22pm
raddad wrote:
Can't they dig it 2' or so? I wonder if there are to many tree roots to go deep? Anyway i always thought that they didn't...
JW381 wrote:
Well I think they've just dug it down too far over the years, searching for better soil, and now all the top soil is gone. Like...
Well I think they've just dug it down too far over the years, searching for better soil, and now all the top soil is gone. Like I said, from my understanding, they're at the base, which isn't exactly ideal riding surface. What they need is new top soil to fill the little "trench" they've dug.
Ahh ok so they need the RED BUD fix!
JW381
7/19/2010 4:12pm
I just rode Mtn View Saturday. Not really a fan of the dirt. It's very hard pack and freeway-ish. It's literally only good in the morning hours.
Motodrew295
7/19/2010 5:43pm

JW381 wrote:
raddad wrote:
I've never heard that but it sounds about right. Don't know him personally but it seems like Ralph can pretty set in his ways.(Especially if hes anything like the ol battle axe) The dirt they do til up just gets so hard packed so quick. its just the type of soil I think. The sand would help keep it a little more loose, any new dirt would be good, there are a lot of rocks coming up too.

Post a reply to: Washougals new 320ft start straight.

The Latest