Washougal questions...

Zildjian
7/20/2015 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 9:39pm
First timer for Washougal, been to the Seattle SX a few times.

Plan on just going to the race on Saturday morning and heading back to Portland Saturday evening.

What is a good time to get the track Saturday? Good idea to bring foldup chairs or just plan on walking a lot and not much sitting?

What is travel time from Portland to ensure I get there in plenty of time for the moto's? And how long will it take to get out back to Portland with the traffic?
|
Zaugg
7/20/2015 3:21pm
If you're in Portland...and you're not bringing your wife/ girlfriend, Check out Sassy's. Best cheap beer and a "show" money can buy.

Mr. Info
7/20/2015 3:42pm
I would say be there by 7:00 AM. I think from Portland its 30 to 40 minutes unless your near the airport and its 20 minutes. The road is 7 miles of single lane so traffic backs up quick. There are all sorts of places to watch from and standing is ok but sitting in the middle you can see so much. And up the middle of the hill under the trees is great also and you can sit on the grass. Great food there and nice people as well. You will enjoy yourself until the race is over and the traffic leaving. Figure if you leave at 5 PM it will take you until 6 or 6:30 to reach Portland. Hope that helps.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/20/2015 4:15pm
I know I love to explore the different viewing areas. I try to get a different spot for each moto. There used to be a tunnel under horsepower hill the times I went to Washougal, and I would start on the grassy hill described above and work my way to the back sections of track via the tunnel. It's a great track; have fun!
Madc32
7/20/2015 4:43pm
I wouldn't recommend bringing a chair. Wear some good comfortable shoes. The best views are up on the hill but it's steep and kind of slick due to all the loose dirt and rocks. By about 10am the road up out of Washougal going to the track is a parking lot so leave early. Leaving the track is a nightmare as well.

The Shop

moto726
7/20/2015 5:01pm
Go early!! We sat in traffic for about 2 and a half hours and that was just just get into the huge general parking area, and like already mentioned, comfy walking shoes are a must!
FIREfish148
7/20/2015 5:12pm
I always leave my house by 4 am at the latest and It takes me 2 1/2 hours to get there. Unless you want to be stuck in traffic along washougal river. The south side of. Horsepower hill is less crowded and more shaded than the north side.
mdub45
7/20/2015 5:48pm
What I always do is get there fairly early, traffic is crazy getting in and out of there, bring some fold up chairs and a small garden trowel.first thing I do is go find a spot on the hill, and set up the chairs, you'll need the small shovel to dig the back legs into the hill to level the chair. You'll most likely be walking around most of the day, but at least you always have a place to sit for a while, and I've never had my chairs go missing
OR Racer46
Fantasy
1002nd
7/20/2015 5:58pm
You just errkked me . I frigen hate when people set there chairs up and leave them Maybe someone else would like to see from
That spot while you are somewhere else . Reminds me of the parades here. The day before the streets are lined with seats .
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
7/20/2015 6:09pm
I try and go early and make a day out of it. If you just want to go see the Motos you can show up later and miss the traffic that way as well. I always wait at the track until the crowd leaves and the traffic isn't bad heading back to Portland.

Just depends how long of a day you want or can handle...
hartebreak
Fantasy
246th
7/20/2015 6:25pm
I try and go early and make a day out of it. If you just want to go see the Motos you can show up later...
I try and go early and make a day out of it. If you just want to go see the Motos you can show up later and miss the traffic that way as well. I always wait at the track until the crowd leaves and the traffic isn't bad heading back to Portland.

Just depends how long of a day you want or can handle...
......this.

I always bring some supplies to make some food in the field afterwards and watch everyone cut each other off and nearly kill each other on the way out. People are always in such a damned hurry to get out of the field, and then they sit in traffic for 9 miles anyhow trying to get to HWY14.
jeffro503
7/20/2015 9:54pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
You just errkked me . I frigen hate when people set there chairs up and leave them Maybe someone else would like to see from That...
You just errkked me . I frigen hate when people set there chairs up and leave them Maybe someone else would like to see from
That spot while you are somewhere else . Reminds me of the parades here. The day before the streets are lined with seats .
Well one cool thing about that is , some of those drunk bastards just get up and leave them there after the races. Totally abandon them. Christ last year I walked out of there with like 4 kick ass Coleman chairs! They replaced my worn out ones in my moto van I take to the tracks.

On a side note , I don't give a shit if their chair is there or not. If they aint sitting in it and just walk off and leave , that SOB is getting field goal kicked down the hill and I'm taking their spot. haha! They better hope I don't raid their damn cooler and take their damn sammich's!
Tumblin
7/20/2015 10:25pm
Jeffro you owe me a couple of chairs! - I just ran down to the river to wash some dust off, sober up and wait out that traffic, works for me every time.
And no need to boot a chair just find an empty one and park your ass in it. A dozen years ago I got kind of lucky when these hotties asked if they could sit in their chair... climb on!
holverson34
7/20/2015 10:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 10:53pm
I always liked watching practice more than the motos. Except for that epic rc/stewart battle
Kawisrok
7/21/2015 3:14pm
Mr. Info wrote:
I would say be there by 7:00 AM. I think from Portland its 30 to 40 minutes unless your near the airport and its 20 minutes...
I would say be there by 7:00 AM. I think from Portland its 30 to 40 minutes unless your near the airport and its 20 minutes. The road is 7 miles of single lane so traffic backs up quick. There are all sorts of places to watch from and standing is ok but sitting in the middle you can see so much. And up the middle of the hill under the trees is great also and you can sit on the grass. Great food there and nice people as well. You will enjoy yourself until the race is over and the traffic leaving. Figure if you leave at 5 PM it will take you until 6 or 6:30 to reach Portland. Hope that helps.
Shit man, I would love to know what way you're getting out of there and into Ptown in an hour and a half after race day on Saturdays???? The absolute fastest we've ever got out of Washougal was 2 1/2 hours, and that's just getting to the freeway. Last year after the races we sat in lawn chairs at the truck until there was no more line getting out of the parking lot, and it still took us 2 hours just to get back onto the freeway headed to 205.
ChrisB10
7/21/2015 3:59pm
I always liked watching practice more than the motos. Except for that epic rc/stewart battle

bsharkey
7/21/2015 4:11pm
man I love that stand that sells the eggrolls Chinese food and skewers. best food in the whole joint
RCB33
Fantasy
90th
7/21/2015 4:15pm
Zildjian wrote:
First timer for Washougal, been to the Seattle SX a few times. Plan on just going to the race on Saturday morning and heading back to...
First timer for Washougal, been to the Seattle SX a few times.

Plan on just going to the race on Saturday morning and heading back to Portland Saturday evening.

What is a good time to get the track Saturday? Good idea to bring foldup chairs or just plan on walking a lot and not much sitting?

What is travel time from Portland to ensure I get there in plenty of time for the moto's? And how long will it take to get out back to Portland with the traffic?
Went last year, no need for folding chairs IMO.
lamy962
7/21/2015 4:16pm
Just a heads up guys, there is a back way in/out of there too. You don't have to go river road the whole way.. if you're heading in, go one exit past the main exit (32nd st). The road splits a few times but just keep following the main road, you should be able to tell which one it is. Do a little Google map searching and you'll be able to see it, should save you quite a bit of time. It puts you on the river road about 1-2 miles from the entrance.
bsharkey
7/21/2015 4:23pm
lamy962 wrote:
Just a heads up guys, there is a back way in/out of there too. You don't have to go river road the whole way.. if you're...
Just a heads up guys, there is a back way in/out of there too. You don't have to go river road the whole way.. if you're heading in, go one exit past the main exit (32nd st). The road splits a few times but just keep following the main road, you should be able to tell which one it is. Do a little Google map searching and you'll be able to see it, should save you quite a bit of time. It puts you on the river road about 1-2 miles from the entrance.
if that's the way I think your talking about if any of you guys are taking Rvs be carefull because its a lot of steep hills and sharp corners. ive seen many people loose the brakes going that way but it is great scenery
NWmx756
7/21/2015 4:26pm
Mr. Info wrote:
I would say be there by 7:00 AM. I think from Portland its 30 to 40 minutes unless your near the airport and its 20 minutes...
Kawisrok wrote:
Shit man, I would love to know what way you're getting out of there and into Ptown in an hour and a half after race day...
Shit man, I would love to know what way you're getting out of there and into Ptown in an hour and a half after race day on Saturdays???? The absolute fastest we've ever got out of Washougal was 2 1/2 hours, and that's just getting to the freeway. Last year after the races we sat in lawn chairs at the truck until there was no more line getting out of the parking lot, and it still took us 2 hours just to get back onto the freeway headed to 205.
Try taking Salmon Falls out of North Bonneville, coming and going... its just a little bit further east from the little mini mart that they send everyone by when we leave and it takes you to hwy 14. and when your arriving, even though its about 10 extra miles the line is MUCH shorter coming in from the east....
Kawisrok
7/21/2015 7:54pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Kawisrok wrote:
Shit man, I would love to know what way you're getting out of there and into Ptown in an hour and a half after race day...
NWmx756 wrote:
Try taking Salmon Falls out of North Bonneville, coming and going... its just a little bit further east from the little mini mart that they send...
Try taking Salmon Falls out of North Bonneville, coming and going... its just a little bit further east from the little mini mart that they send everyone by when we leave and it takes you to hwy 14. and when your arriving, even though its about 10 extra miles the line is MUCH shorter coming in from the east....
I'll give that a try thanks..
Zildjian
7/22/2015 12:01pm
Great information, thanks a lot guys. Smile
PC
7/22/2015 12:26pm
WSP will divert traffic after the event. Some people get to go down Washougal River Rd and some get sent East. Waaaaaay the fuck east to Bridge of the Gods. Best bet is to wait for traffic to die down before leaving the track or you might be getting the full Gorge tour.

Actually, the real best bet is to acquire a dual sport and wheelie past all the poor souls stuck in traffic.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
7/22/2015 12:35pm
Get there earlier in the morning. I'd ditch the chairs unless you have a couple folks who want to park and be the meeting place. If that's the case, then it's hard to beat the area between horsepower hill and the drop off. Very pleasant place an elevated.

But one of the great things about Washougal is that it may be as close as any national track to the old school right up next to it fencing.

And when you consider that it is not a track with wide open sight lines (a fair bit of the track cannot be seen from any one place, as opposed to Hangtown for instance), it is a track that begs to be walked around and checked out from every angle. Put a couple miles in and it will pay off. For the same reasons, I think Washougal is one of the best tracks for spectator over the fence shooting (although it is challenging to get exposure correct given the shadows; I always set exposure manually at Washougal)

Also, head up to the very top in the morning; hopefully they've redone the lip on the kicker up there and it can get to be show time (not so much last year, not quite enough lift.

Love Washougal.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
7/22/2015 12:38pm
NWmx756 wrote:
Try taking Salmon Falls out of North Bonneville, coming and going... its just a little bit further east from the little mini mart that they send...
This is what I've done for years (thanks Nealio!) Nice drive, and gets me back to PDX about as fast as fighting traffic through the other way. Plus, there's nice funky little burger joint down toward the park in Cascade Locks when you get off the Bridge of the Gods.
TJRace
7/23/2015 7:04am
PC wrote:
WSP will divert traffic after the event. Some people get to go down Washougal River Rd and some get sent East. Waaaaaay the fuck east to...
WSP will divert traffic after the event. Some people get to go down Washougal River Rd and some get sent East. Waaaaaay the fuck east to Bridge of the Gods. Best bet is to wait for traffic to die down before leaving the track or you might be getting the full Gorge tour.

Actually, the real best bet is to acquire a dual sport and wheelie past all the poor souls stuck in traffic.
PC, do you know if they still park the bikes right up by the Pro pits? And do they have gear check? I went to Hangtown this year on the Ducati and they had motorcycle parking and gear check right by the entrance (all free).
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
7/23/2015 7:17am
PC wrote:
WSP will divert traffic after the event. Some people get to go down Washougal River Rd and some get sent East. Waaaaaay the fuck east to...

TJRace wrote:
PC, do you know if they still park the bikes right up by the Pro pits? And do they have gear check? I went to Hangtown...
PC, do you know if they still park the bikes right up by the Pro pits? And do they have gear check? I went to Hangtown this year on the Ducati and they had motorcycle parking and gear check right by the entrance (all free).
Last year motorcycle parking was up front by the ticket entrance...
jmc2
Fantasy
1690th
7/23/2015 9:19am
NWmx756 wrote:
This is what I've done for years (thanks Nealio!) Nice drive, and gets me back to PDX about as fast as fighting traffic through the other...
This is what I've done for years (thanks Nealio!) Nice drive, and gets me back to PDX about as fast as fighting traffic through the other way. Plus, there's nice funky little burger joint down toward the park in Cascade Locks when you get off the Bridge of the Gods.
We did that route a few years ago, when we stayed in Cascade locks. Nice drive, but had a few construction sites on the way.
BigDaddyG
7/23/2015 10:30am
Dang, headed to Bend this weekend.....when the wife asked a month or so ago about going as part of my bday present I said "Sure, sounds good, do ahead and book it"....then a week ago Jeffro hit me up about Thursday Night MX and the National.....SHIT!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even think about that when I gave the wife the go ahead. Fuck....guess its watching it on TV for me....on the plus side I won't have to deal with traffic.

The weather is going to be perfect for the races!!! Enjoy all who are going.

Post a reply to: Washougal questions...

The Latest