Washougal is underrated

Related:
Create New Tag

7/28/2019 5:06 AM

For all the smoke that some tracks received, (ie Red Bud) wind the clock back through the races up there, it has had more than its share of great racing for sure.

Really enjoy watching the riders push on the difficult conditions and there has been loads of super tense races too as they yo-yo back and forth. Cool track!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


7/28/2019 5:11 AM

Love it. Great track and great racing.

|

7/28/2019 5:11 AM

Has always been one of my favourite tracks đź‘Ť

|

7/28/2019 5:14 AM

Wish there were more tracks in the series with dirt like the Shoug. Tired of the same old sandy mix.

|

7/28/2019 5:15 AM

Track looked amazing on TV. Looked like there were good lines and traction. Crew must have nailed the track prep with good weather.

|

7/28/2019 5:16 AM

It is a great track. What's with everyone jumping through the whoops nowadays though ?

|

7/28/2019 5:35 AM

I freaking love that track ! Would love to see the MXON there ! Maybe 2023 ? There is elevations, many lines, amazing jumps, great dirt, just pure motocross

|

7/28/2019 5:37 AM

Baton Rouge wrote:

I freaking love that track ! Would love to see the MXON there ! Maybe 2023 ? There is elevations, many lines, amazing jumps, great dirt, just pure motocross

+1

|

7/28/2019 6:19 AM

Track is definitely on my list of tracks I need to go to. The way it develops over the day is different than any other track. The way Eli has attacked the course the last 2 years has been unreal. Far as MXON goes it is close to Portland so plenty of accommodations, I have never been there so I have no idea if the facility can handle 60,000 plus people.

|

7/28/2019 6:39 AM

Great day of racing...

|

7/28/2019 7:19 AM

ATKpilot99 wrote:

It is a great track. What's with everyone jumping through the whoops nowadays though ?

I was wondering this too I used to go that race every year back in the 90's when I lived closer. Used to be awesome seeing Jason McCormick blitzing through them and passing factory guys in the process.

|

7/28/2019 7:38 AM

Who could've guessed that a track that doesn't have a rut from one corner to the next would provide good racing and passing opportunities??

|

7/28/2019 7:38 AM

I was there yesterday and it was unbelievable the way the track shaped up for racing. We spent the day walking the track and viewing from different locations, TV doesn’t do it justice at all. I would think the only thing holding it back from hosting the MXON would be access. It took us about 2 hours to get from the track to the highway. It’s a small winding road that is bumper to bumper until you get through the town of Washougal. Besides the traffic I would recommend to anyone to attend the Nationals there, it’s a Bucket list item for any moto fan.

|

7/28/2019 7:58 AM

Bet it’s a killer track to walk after the race and look at the lines too. Was always my favorite thing to do, pros and their lines, how fucked a track gets and you see what they are dealing with is epic

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


7/28/2019 7:59 AM

Track is unreal. The dirt and hills and scenery. Just amazing.
I think why it was even better yesterday was it was cloudy so didn’t get dusty or any shadows.

|

7/28/2019 8:11 AM

Crush wrote:

Bet it’s a killer track to walk after the race and look at the lines too. Was always my favorite thing to do, pros and their lines, how fucked a track gets and you see what they are dealing with is epic

For sure, the ruts in the “catchers mitt” section were ridiculous. How they navigate them at this speeds is mind blowing!

|

7/28/2019 8:57 AM

As an old slow poke, that track is 10X harder to ride IRL than it looks. Slick as ice in the shade, hard pack in the sun, massive ruts and bumps everywhere, and getting pelted with rocks up horsepower hill. I did a school there once after an event with no track prep and thought I was gonna die. Mucho respect for anyone who can go fast there.

|

7/28/2019 9:04 AM

yak651 wrote:

Who could've guessed that a track that doesn't have a rut from one corner to the next would provide good racing and passing opportunities??

Lol well that wasn't the case yesterday. When the sun stays away and the track doesnt turn to blue groove it gets lots of lines it. Spring and fall are the best unless you get a mild summer likeweve had this year

|

7/28/2019 12:04 PM

SWOHIO GUY wrote:

Track is definitely on my list of tracks I need to go to. The way it develops over the day is different than any other track. The way Eli has attacked the course the last 2 years has been unreal. Far as MXON goes it is close to Portland so plenty of accommodations, I have never been there so I have no idea if the facility can handle 60,000 plus people.

Might be slightly tougher on the GP teams being that it is the furthest US track from their home base.

Don’t get me wrong though... Millville and Washougal are amazing to watch and would love to see MXoN there.

|

7/28/2019 12:08 PM


|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

7/28/2019 12:48 PM

I went to the race at Washougal yesterday, Best MX track I have been to. The guys who run the track put in lots of tunnels to make it easy to walk all around the track. I'll upload some photo's later

|

Brapasaurus Rex

7/28/2019 12:53 PM

Ozy wrote:

I went to the race at Washougal yesterday, Best MX track I have been to. The guys who run the track put in lots of tunnels to make it easy to walk all around the track. I'll upload some photo's later

How was the viewing?

|

7/28/2019 1:03 PM

The whoop section is mis-named, these were not whoops, it was a small rhythm section. nobody would have pinned it over them like a traditional whoop section

|

Brapasaurus Rex

7/28/2019 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2019 1:30 PM

SWOHIO GUY wrote:

Track is definitely on my list of tracks I need to go to. The way it develops over the day is different than any other track. The way Eli has attacked the course the last 2 years has been unreal. Far as MXON goes it is close to Portland so plenty of accommodations, I have never been there so I have no idea if the facility can handle 60,000 plus people.

DPR250R wrote:

Might be slightly tougher on the GP teams being that it is the furthest US track from their home base.

Don’t get me wrong though... Millville and Washougal are amazing to watch and would love to see MXoN there.

Are you kidding? With races in Argentina, Thailand,... and you think Washougal is too far? The racing was outstanding yesterday and I cannot remember the field being so stacked in both classes.

|

7/28/2019 1:27 PM

My favorite track. All US track are great.

|

7/28/2019 1:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/28/2019 1:34 PM

No they are whoops just really big one's they are just easier jumping then blitzing them. Blitzing them is totally do able just takes a lot of energy and perfectly timed to get it right.

Having seen both styles attempted neither way seems faster over the other. I feel good when I can at least double the first couple of sets.

The mild summer has been great that one practice late June was sick. Track got into that not super rutted n chopped out like usual the dirt got all tacky traction for days.

|

7/28/2019 1:36 PM

zlowery wrote:

Track looked amazing on TV. Looked like there were good lines and traction. Crew must have nailed the track prep with good weather.

Literally every rider and announcer talks about how little traction there is at Washougal. I bet the guys run a very similar setup at Washougal and Unadilla

|

7/28/2019 1:39 PM

Ozy wrote:

The whoop section is mis-named, these were not whoops, it was a small rhythm section. nobody would have pinned it over them like a traditional whoop section

Well, it's not the most consistent way for a 30+2 race, but those whoops can be blitzed.

The fella who runs the track is a retired pro in his 40's (Huffman). I promise you that 40-something year old man can still go out there and blitz them like a set of supercross whoops in 5th gear. Anyone who races there on the weekends will tell you the same.

Trouble is, it takes so much energy to blitz that it's just a better race strategy to triple through when they're built up for the national. This was one of those years the guys built them up fresh and extra large.

It's one of the most challenging and iconic parts of that track, I hope they keep it around forever.

|

7/28/2019 2:34 PM

Have watched on TV for a lot of years, there has been the odd year that it has not looked as good but yesterday it looked amazing.

Love watching guys rip through the terrain and the shadows, beggars belief the speed both classes were going yesterday

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

7/28/2019 2:39 PM

ipbrew wrote:

Are you kidding? With races in Argentina, Thailand,... and you think Washougal is too far? The racing was outstanding yesterday and I cannot remember the field being so stacked in both classes.

I think it would be tougher then other US tracks yes.

|