Washougal Post Race Press Conference - Gripes

HusqFan3
1) Questions by the press(or lack thereof)- You have arguably the 3 best riders on the podium after an all-time epic race and the MX press can only come up with a total of 3 questions to ask them? The entire press conference lasted all of 5 minutes. I could probably rattle off 20 questions off the top of my head that i’d love to hear their take on yet after 3 relatively vanilla questions he asks the press for next question and all you hear is crickets? I get this is a niesh sport so it doesn’t exactly attract world class journalist but come one, the fans deserve better than this.

2) Tomac’s answer regarding noise of the crowd(more of an observation than a gripe)- I’ve always defended Tomac’s aloof nature and unlike some, don’t need or expect him to be an open book about his personal life for me to be a huge fan. That said, he took an absolute softball of a question regarding the noise of the crowd as he was making his making his way up through the pack and instead of saying how cool the atmosphere was or how much it motivated him(even if it didn’t), or using as an opportunity to connect with/thank his fans he decides instead to complain about a flagger? What? Come on ET3, I’ll always be a fan but sometimes you make it hard for even your most ardent supporters to understand/defend you.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to flame away.

Link to press conference: https://youtu.be/9CFgnWlioaY
|
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
7/29/2018 3:33pm
Weege asked if he was sensing or hearing the crowd getting into it and he said “Oh yeah, it was cool!” Weege followed up asking if he thinks it helps his riding and Eli responded with “Yeah, the noise is cool.” Then he talked about the flagger in the first moto being more of a distraction. I don’t see a problem with how he answered it, he’s typically a man of few words so this was par for the course. He did acknowledge it and said it was cool.

I can’t believe nobody asked about his pants. That seemed like the obvious question to ask. “What happened to your pants and did it affect your riding?”
HusqFan3
7/29/2018 3:54pm
You’re right he did technically acknowledge the crowd and i get he’s reserved by nature. Didn’t expect him to start jumping up and down with pom poms and to be clear, i didn’t have an issue with his answer personally. I just thought he missed an opportunity to connect with and grow his fan base while at the same time provided ammunition to his detractors.
Question
7/29/2018 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2018 4:02pm
731chopper wrote:
Weege asked if he was sensing or hearing the crowd getting into it and he said “Oh yeah, it was cool!” Weege followed up asking if...
Weege asked if he was sensing or hearing the crowd getting into it and he said “Oh yeah, it was cool!” Weege followed up asking if he thinks it helps his riding and Eli responded with “Yeah, the noise is cool.” Then he talked about the flagger in the first moto being more of a distraction. I don’t see a problem with how he answered it, he’s typically a man of few words so this was par for the course. He did acknowledge it and said it was cool.

I can’t believe nobody asked about his pants. That seemed like the obvious question to ask. “What happened to your pants and did it affect your riding?”
I was really scared it would cause him to crash hard and injure himself as he was pushing to the max. It was beautiful, awesome to see, but tbh maybe he should have backed it down here, looking at the big picture. The team strategy is questionable too since they are in charge to be clever cold heads, I think most people in most sports would have asked him just to bring it home without taking unecessary risks. How would they look if he had crashed? Would they have a plan B to win this championship and the 3 next ? And will they give a call to Italy to tell to take action now for next race?
ledger
7/29/2018 4:27pm
I thought Weeg or Grant made the comment that Musquin had the suspension changed out, Marvin only mentioned a few clicks. I was hoping Eli would have brought the pants issue up or joked around with it, but I also think everyone in the Pressy was ready to head home after a long hot day.

The Shop

lumpy790
7/29/2018 5:00pm
Why are they waving the blue flag at the top riders so much?
make1go
7/29/2018 7:53pm
they prolly think if we make it really boring sooner or later they'll drop them and they, the riders can go do recovery etc...

they do the podium speeches,....

they should do the presser with guys that finish 8th, 12th, 16th or something and sponsers that could do with the exposure....

they will often be different guys and excited to be there answering questions..

how many different guys so far?
4? idk

RickyRoss519
Fantasy
2373rd
7/29/2018 11:19pm
I may be biased as its my home state but i dont think ive heard such a loud crowd at the nats!
What Is Zen
7/29/2018 11:41pm
Some of you moto fans are whiny bitches, you'll gripe about anything.

Post a reply to: Washougal Post Race Press Conference - Gripes

The Latest