Washougal Canceled?

DE262
8/17/2020 7:46am
JeepnMike wrote:
You are making this sound black and white. Someone is lying.. You can trust MXSports or you can trust your local government. One one hand, I...
You are making this sound black and white. Someone is lying.. You can trust MXSports or you can trust your local government. One one hand, I have no reason at all to not trust Davey or MXSports. On the other hand, you have a governor who has lied and misled his state to the point of potentially turning back to red after 35 years. I am going to give MXSports the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Either way, we will never know. Davey can either say "Yeah, we later realized how much of a pain in the ass that race would be so we canned it, even on a shortened schedule" Or alternatively, "that state is run by nuts.. When they realized a large scale sporting even was going to be televised from their state during a pandemic and election cycle, they freaked out and told us to cancel it". We have two options, none of which would be wise to disclose.

I may be wrong, we will probably never know. As I said in my original post, we are all just speculating while upset about it, this is just my theory and I trust Davey.
YOU may be speculating about what you think you know about this- and that's fine.

Some of us are a little more involved and do not have the room to "speculate"

Not being a dick- but this hits too close to home for a few of us!

Go support your local family owned racetrack.

Before Monday...

Carry on.
CR250Rider
8/17/2020 8:19am
Wonder why? WA is doing pretty good Rona wise at the moment?
The governor here is a complete idiot, voters in the Seattle area too.
Hudd_421
8/17/2020 10:57am
CR250Rider wrote:
Still has no effect on why Washougal National was cancelled. Guess the teams didn't want to make the trip up and back to Indiana.
lamy962
8/18/2020 12:09am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 12:11am
DE262 wrote:
This. 100%. The fact that we're still racing this coming weekend- with a ton of entries and a $9000.00 (and growing) pro purse speaks VOLUMES about...
This. 100%.

The fact that we're still racing this coming weekend- with a ton of entries and a $9000.00 (and growing) pro purse speaks VOLUMES about these "new sanctions/regulations"

That track is dialed in with one- way tunnels, marked parking and extensive signage everywhere- not to mention no contact registration as well as temp. checks upon entering the facility.

All staff is required to wear masks when riding in buggies or in close contact.

We were all more than ready to go racing.

Still going to.
Gonna be an epic weekend for all that still decide to join us. See you soon brotha!

The Shop

DC
8/18/2020 7:44am
CR250Rider wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:
Still has no effect on why Washougal National was cancelled. Guess the teams didn't want to make the trip up and back to Indiana.
Sorry, I have been on the road as well as working at the ranch. I understand the frustration of fans in the northwest that were looking forward to the Washougal National, as was I--it's one of my favorite tracks. We were on countless Zoom calls and meetings and did not make the decision to cancel the pro motocross event lightly. We discussed it at length with representatives of all six OEMs, as well as several riders, Ryan Huffman, and both TV broadcast companies.

When we scheduled the event nearly two months ago, it was with the full expectation that Clark County would move from what the state of Washington was calling Phase 2 to Phase 3. After we had a successful regional there in early Jully with maybe 1,200 entries, we fully expected to be able to return with the pro event, but we also expected the state to be in Phase 3 by mid-August. Here's what happened since the initial June 24 outdoor recreational-use letter that allowed the regional event to happen, but were very concerning for going forward with a pro event:

In June Governor Inslee produced "Safe Start Washington: A Phased Reopening County by County." It was anticipated that a three-week period would be required for a county to move between Phases 2 and 3.

* June 26: Governor Inslee mandated masks statewide.

* July 3: Governor Inslee suspended all counties progressing any further from their current phase, due to Covid-19 activity in the state.

*July 8: Clark County remained in Phase 2 (due to July 3 suspension) and no longer met the requirements to progress to Phase 3. Positive Covid-19 cases continued to increase. Subsequently, Clark County's application to progress to Phase 3 was returned by the State to Clark County, due to the facts in the application no longer being applicable. Clark County was told to rewrite and resubmit the application.

*July 16: Governor Inslee suspended all major indoor/outdoor entertainment and reduced Phase 2 gatherings to five people.

*Jul 29: Governor Inslee extended indefinitely the hold on counties progressing to the next phase.

*August 17: Clark County remains in Phase 2 with no established date to progress to Phase 3.

The amateur event now planned for this weekend met the requirements laid out in the June 24 recreational-use letter, but the current guidance from the state does not contemplate all of the peripheral activity associated with a pro national motocross event, including substantial numbers of working individuals for TV production on two different networks, our extensive medical unit and related crew, dozens of officials, and the number of crew members for most of the teams (they exceed five people, and they do not meet the requirement of being members of a common household, a provision that was not in the original June 24 guidance).

I am very sorry that the difficult decision was made not to send all of the teams, privateers, officials and TV trucks across the country to Clark County, given the uncertainty of permission to host a major professional sporting event with many, many crews of more than five people, due to the reopening hold in the state of Washington.

I hope Washougal has a very successful amateur motocross event this weekend. We have been friends and working partners with the Huffmans for 40 years. We will be back in 2021.

DC
Racer X

Johnny Ringo
8/18/2020 9:36am
CR250Rider wrote:
Hudd_421 wrote:
DC wrote:
Sorry, I have been on the road as well as working at the ranch. I understand the frustration of fans in the northwest that were looking...
Sorry, I have been on the road as well as working at the ranch. I understand the frustration of fans in the northwest that were looking forward to the Washougal National, as was I--it's one of my favorite tracks. We were on countless Zoom calls and meetings and did not make the decision to cancel the pro motocross event lightly. We discussed it at length with representatives of all six OEMs, as well as several riders, Ryan Huffman, and both TV broadcast companies.

When we scheduled the event nearly two months ago, it was with the full expectation that Clark County would move from what the state of Washington was calling Phase 2 to Phase 3. After we had a successful regional there in early Jully with maybe 1,200 entries, we fully expected to be able to return with the pro event, but we also expected the state to be in Phase 3 by mid-August. Here's what happened since the initial June 24 outdoor recreational-use letter that allowed the regional event to happen, but were very concerning for going forward with a pro event:

In June Governor Inslee produced "Safe Start Washington: A Phased Reopening County by County." It was anticipated that a three-week period would be required for a county to move between Phases 2 and 3.

* June 26: Governor Inslee mandated masks statewide.

* July 3: Governor Inslee suspended all counties progressing any further from their current phase, due to Covid-19 activity in the state.

*July 8: Clark County remained in Phase 2 (due to July 3 suspension) and no longer met the requirements to progress to Phase 3. Positive Covid-19 cases continued to increase. Subsequently, Clark County's application to progress to Phase 3 was returned by the State to Clark County, due to the facts in the application no longer being applicable. Clark County was told to rewrite and resubmit the application.

*July 16: Governor Inslee suspended all major indoor/outdoor entertainment and reduced Phase 2 gatherings to five people.

*Jul 29: Governor Inslee extended indefinitely the hold on counties progressing to the next phase.

*August 17: Clark County remains in Phase 2 with no established date to progress to Phase 3.

The amateur event now planned for this weekend met the requirements laid out in the June 24 recreational-use letter, but the current guidance from the state does not contemplate all of the peripheral activity associated with a pro national motocross event, including substantial numbers of working individuals for TV production on two different networks, our extensive medical unit and related crew, dozens of officials, and the number of crew members for most of the teams (they exceed five people, and they do not meet the requirement of being members of a common household, a provision that was not in the original June 24 guidance).

I am very sorry that the difficult decision was made not to send all of the teams, privateers, officials and TV trucks across the country to Clark County, given the uncertainty of permission to host a major professional sporting event with many, many crews of more than five people, due to the reopening hold in the state of Washington.

I hope Washougal has a very successful amateur motocross event this weekend. We have been friends and working partners with the Huffmans for 40 years. We will be back in 2021.

DC
Racer X

Thanks for the facts DC, we’ll be there in 21
PJM45
8/18/2020 1:18pm
mx510 wrote:
So spill the beans, what was the real reason? Covid? Are we supposed to believe that?
The press release said the reason. Why the hell can't you and others trust MX Sports is doing the best they can to get races going...
The press release said the reason. Why the hell can't you and others trust MX Sports is doing the best they can to get races going and they ARE! Who cares if there are two races at Lorettas. Better than none or Teams driving across the country for the race to get shut down on Friday. How would you like that option?
mx510 wrote:
I don't care if there are 2 races at Lorettas, but you don't think for 1 second that it doesn't bother thousands of us in the...
I don't care if there are 2 races at Lorettas, but you don't think for 1 second that it doesn't bother thousands of us in the PNW who just had our vacation ripped away at the last minute you are damn silly. Our government isn't the reason the race got cancelled, why it was cancelled does matter to some of though. Were you going to be attending Washougal?
It sure as hell isnt because of Covid
JeepnMike
8/18/2020 1:53pm
PJM45 wrote:
Nice 1st post. You are right though, it is not because of Covid. It is because the governor of WA State is a rogue dictator in the middle of an election cycle he is on the brink of losing, and would rather have absolutely nothing going on in the entire state until after the election cycle, than take a single chance on a single additional issue until after the last vote is counted.

What Davey said above sums that up as well. I have no idea why this is controversial here. Sure people are disappointed, but the reasoning is clear as day.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/18/2020 2:04pm
mx510 wrote:
I don't care if there are 2 races at Lorettas, but you don't think for 1 second that it doesn't bother thousands of us in the...
I don't care if there are 2 races at Lorettas, but you don't think for 1 second that it doesn't bother thousands of us in the PNW who just had our vacation ripped away at the last minute you are damn silly. Our government isn't the reason the race got cancelled, why it was cancelled does matter to some of though. Were you going to be attending Washougal?
" our vacation ripped away!!" Laughing

Brent
8/18/2020 2:15pm
mx510 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
" our vacation ripped away!!" :laugh: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/18/444421/s1200_think_of_the_children_1024x847.jpg[/img]
" our vacation ripped away!!" Laughing

Oh My goodness, the Drama!!!

R I P P E D. A W A Y !

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingTonguePinch
APLMAN99
8/18/2020 2:40pm
PJM45 wrote:
JeepnMike wrote:
Nice 1st post. You are right though, it is not because of Covid. It is because the governor of WA State is a rogue dictator in...
Nice 1st post. You are right though, it is not because of Covid. It is because the governor of WA State is a rogue dictator in the middle of an election cycle he is on the brink of losing, and would rather have absolutely nothing going on in the entire state until after the election cycle, than take a single chance on a single additional issue until after the last vote is counted.

What Davey said above sums that up as well. I have no idea why this is controversial here. Sure people are disappointed, but the reasoning is clear as day.
The timeline provided shows that there were no new restrictions put in place on the morning that they said it was.

I don't disagree with their decision to cancel the race. I would rather have had the race up here, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Unfortunately, they thought that things would automatically go from a stage 2 to a stage 3, and that just isn't realistic. Even with the previous stage 3 limitations, the event maximum was 50 people. I don't think that would have been feasible to hold the race in the first place.

Again, no bashing of MXSports for cancelling the race. That was their call, and probably correct with the fluid nature of the situation. But to say that there were new restrictions instituted after the event was cleared to go that morning just isn't true.

You can dislike Inslee for any number of reasons, but he didn't promise that any county would automatically move up in the stage program, nor did he institute any new restrictions suddenly between the morning that things were "good" and the time that the decision was made. Inslee hadn't put any new restrictions in place for at least a couple of weeks, so this suddenly becoming undoable because of new restrictions on the 13th or 14th is not true.

Again, I probably would have made the same decision that they did. Scheduling the event at all was a gamble, and the stakes weren't getting any better for them. Of course all of the involved parties would rather stay put for another week and not spend a lot of money on an event that could be cancelled at any time. That's all that needed to be said, really.
JeepnMike
8/18/2020 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 3:11pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
The timeline provided shows that there were no new restrictions put in place on the morning that they said it was. I don't disagree with their...
The timeline provided shows that there were no new restrictions put in place on the morning that they said it was.

I don't disagree with their decision to cancel the race. I would rather have had the race up here, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Unfortunately, they thought that things would automatically go from a stage 2 to a stage 3, and that just isn't realistic. Even with the previous stage 3 limitations, the event maximum was 50 people. I don't think that would have been feasible to hold the race in the first place.

Again, no bashing of MXSports for cancelling the race. That was their call, and probably correct with the fluid nature of the situation. But to say that there were new restrictions instituted after the event was cleared to go that morning just isn't true.

You can dislike Inslee for any number of reasons, but he didn't promise that any county would automatically move up in the stage program, nor did he institute any new restrictions suddenly between the morning that things were "good" and the time that the decision was made. Inslee hadn't put any new restrictions in place for at least a couple of weeks, so this suddenly becoming undoable because of new restrictions on the 13th or 14th is not true.

Again, I probably would have made the same decision that they did. Scheduling the event at all was a gamble, and the stakes weren't getting any better for them. Of course all of the involved parties would rather stay put for another week and not spend a lot of money on an event that could be cancelled at any time. That's all that needed to be said, really.
I think this is the one that bit them:

The term indefinitely has not sat well. I also think many counties felt this would not apply as they are not anywhere near the larger cities and are frankly shocked that restrictions continue where it is not at all necessary (such as Clark County). I am betting from Jul 29th, to Aug 13th, there was discussions and questions asked between the county, MXSports, & The Huffmans, until they realized it could not happen with all counties now stuck locked down indefinitely (which means until after the elections).

IMO, there is not a single reason on this planet Clark County should still be held to a phase 2 restriction, and obviously everyone involved here felt that the governor would never keep restrictions where it is completely unnecessary as well and made plans based on reality that our governor is successfully ignoring.

Sorry for the folks reading this crap who don't live in WA, it is a real mess up here Sad
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/18/2020 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 4:06pm
You guys need to dry up and blow away. I have had quite a few events that I had tickets to cancelled this year and some with very little notice, several concerts at Red Rocks, the OKC mile, Denver SX , and a couple F1 races etc etc and you just have to deal with it and not try to blame some conspiracy for it. All I did was get my tickets refunded and I buy travel insurance for my flights and will try again next year. The way things are going most of the rounds could be at LLs and that is ok too if that is what it takes.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
8/18/2020 3:43pm
"... including substantial numbers of working individuals for TV production on two different networks"

Interesting. I assume those networks are MavTV and NBC Sports? I always assumed it would be the same crew working both broadcasts, just with a different logo shown on TV. Is that not the case?
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
8/18/2020 3:43pm
I am a little worried about Millville. Just read the rules for our local supercross track and they have changed since two weeks ago. Listed is no spectators outside of the participants pits.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
8/18/2020 4:08pm
SKIDLID wrote:
I am a little worried about Millville. Just read the rules for our local supercross track and they have changed since two weeks ago. Listed is...
I am a little worried about Millville. Just read the rules for our local supercross track and they have changed since two weeks ago. Listed is no spectators outside of the participants pits.
Same with Lakewood, if it happens then great if not I will live and nothing has been "ripped from me" if it gets cancelled, Wink
mxnick
8/18/2020 5:23pm
RichieW13 wrote:
"... including substantial numbers of working individuals for TV production on two different networks" Interesting. I assume those networks are MavTV and NBC Sports? I always...
"... including substantial numbers of working individuals for TV production on two different networks"

Interesting. I assume those networks are MavTV and NBC Sports? I always assumed it would be the same crew working both broadcasts, just with a different logo shown on TV. Is that not the case?
Tv crew is 90 plus people....that includes set up, cameramen, production staff and support staff. It’s a big operation.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
8/18/2020 5:25pm
RichieW13 wrote:
"... including substantial numbers of working individuals for TV production on two different networks" Interesting. I assume those networks are MavTV and NBC Sports? I always...

mxnick wrote:
Tv crew is 90 plus people....that includes set up, cameramen, production staff and support staff. It’s a big operation.
Yeah, I'm not doubting the number of people. I am curious as to whether each network has separate crews.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
8/18/2020 5:28pm
RichieW13 wrote:

mxnick wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Yeah, I'm not doubting the number of people. I am curious as to whether each network has separate crews.
No.
mxnick
8/18/2020 5:42pm
RichieW13 wrote:

mxnick wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
TV crew is not doubled up, but some separate members...
8/18/2020 6:02pm
If we seriously pull of two Redbud races I will be shocked as hell. Michigan has been a cluster f since March.
mxb2
8/18/2020 6:09pm
If we seriously pull of two Redbud races I will be shocked as hell. Michigan has been a cluster f since March.
Might happen.
motomike137
8/18/2020 7:00pm
Yep, our Governor is a serious piece of work. She thinks she is the smartest person in the room and playing politics to the hilt.
IndianDunes
8/18/2020 7:18pm
pilotdude wrote:
The enormity of the logistical convenience and coincidence for the teams (OEMs) and the RLT-Race Leadership Team (MX Sports) who made this decision simply cannot be...
The enormity of the logistical convenience and coincidence for the teams (OEMs) and the RLT-Race Leadership Team (MX Sports) who made this decision simply cannot be overstated.
DC wrote:
What a dumb, wildly uninformed cheap shot.

DC
Racer X
Uhh no. Why were the OEM partners even consulted. They fly there riders back to CA which has the worst outbreak in the west. Did you consult any Clark County officials? Call the State office? Did you ask any non OEM teams. Team Honda, KTM, and Yamaha made noise. They have always run the show. They are running the Pro race anyway at Washougal.. With an 8K purse which is more money than the AMA gives its riders.
mx216
8/18/2020 7:38pm
Uhh no. Why were the OEM partners even consulted. They fly there riders back to CA which has the worst outbreak in the west. Did you...
Uhh no. Why were the OEM partners even consulted. They fly there riders back to CA which has the worst outbreak in the west. Did you consult any Clark County officials? Call the State office? Did you ask any non OEM teams. Team Honda, KTM, and Yamaha made noise. They have always run the show. They are running the Pro race anyway at Washougal.. With an 8K purse which is more money than the AMA gives its riders.
Umm, i just looked quick, and from the 2009 season the purse was $66,140 per event. I'm not 100% sure but i'm guessing its not less than that these days.
IndianDunes
8/18/2020 7:47pm
Its less and Zack Osborne won like 4K. Winner at Washougal might pull down 5K. Less riders. Why did they start in TN in the first place. They could have raced in UTAH, GLEN HELEN, PALA, FOX, and even Washougal with no spectators. But they choose a track on the far east coast. And of course two races in MI. Who owns that track? Hmm.
kpiper
8/18/2020 9:23pm
Sure will be sad not seeing Tomac get a poor start and banzai his way through the pack.

That is always a highlight of the season.
lamy962
8/18/2020 11:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2020 11:53pm
"When we scheduled the event nearly two months ago, it was with the full expectation that Clark County would move from what the state of Washington was calling Phase 2 to Phase 3."

So no other state has phases?

It should have been canceled at this point as there is an obvious chance that the shit could go south and we wouldn't be in "what Washington state is calling stage 3".

Since 7/16 we have and will be putting on events with the states consent with more than 5 people. I get that Davey can't call out the OEM's for making the decision for him but it is what is is folks. I'm just glad we all get to enjoy some racing, whether it be from our couch or the fences! Thank you Davey and crew for making it happen!

Maybe, just maybe, the cards would be different if they would have put all the west coast rounds together so y'all didn't have to zigzag across the county like you do every year! I've been scratching my head on that decision for years now...

This is my home and have been working here for damn near 30 years now. Am I a little butt hurt it got "ripped away"? Damn straight I am because this is the best week of the year for me as well as people from all over the world I'm sure.. but I know that we'll be back better than ever next year. Now let's quit calling people out for being a little upset over it, for whatever reason. It's not just people from the NW getting riled up about it..

Post a reply to: Washougal Canceled?

The Latest