Washing your bike at the track.

rpoint116
8/24/2017 5:36pm
In my mind it's non sense for a track not to have some kind of wash area. Although I've never seen one like this. 1. It's...
In my mind it's non sense for a track not to have some kind of wash area. Although I've never seen one like this.
1. It's an added bonus to the customer
2. The water can drained from the wash bay to a tank and used on the track so it's no extra cost to the track owner. Also depending on your water tank and wash area it would collect rain water too.
3. You can scrape up the washed off dirt and reduce your track erosion.

Simple washing area on concrete pad with a drain. Don't charge to use it water. People bring their own pressure washers or just use the hose. If you are looking for something to charge for you can do soap or bike cleaner packs at the concession stand or something.
rpoint116 wrote:
1000% disagree.

Too much hassle, cost, and maintenance. Running a track is hard enough as it is.
305FC250 wrote:
I don't know all the details but almost all the tracks I've been to in Florida have an area with a hose where I can hook...
I don't know all the details but almost all the tracks I've been to in Florida have an area with a hose where I can hook my pressure washer up to... Doesn't seem like theres much involved with it.
That would be fine. I just don't know about a full-blown power wash system for the public that needs to be managed and maintained.

The simpler the better
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
8/24/2017 6:02pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 6:12pm
rpoint116 wrote:
1000% disagree.

Too much hassle, cost, and maintenance. Running a track is hard enough as it is.
305FC250 wrote:
I don't know all the details but almost all the tracks I've been to in Florida have an area with a hose where I can hook...
I don't know all the details but almost all the tracks I've been to in Florida have an area with a hose where I can hook my pressure washer up to... Doesn't seem like theres much involved with it.
rpoint116 wrote:
That would be fine. I just don't know about a full-blown power wash system for the public that needs to be managed and maintained. The simpler...
That would be fine. I just don't know about a full-blown power wash system for the public that needs to be managed and maintained.

The simpler the better
I believe I was misunderstood. What I meant was a wash area where people can bring their own washers to hook up. Nothing supplied by the track owner but the hook up and the concrete pad. Instead of making a mud hole in the pits and having to bring their own water. This way they get a place to wash and the owner of the track can use the water to water the track. Along with keeping people from taking home about a half bucket of dirt each time they ride. (Depending on EPA regulations as mentioned previously)
It would depend on what source the owner is using now for water. Many use natural water from a pond, in this case the wash are a would be extra cost to the owner and fee would be necessary.
If the track is already paying for water to water the track then the wash area wouldn't be anymore cost water wise.

Also the EPA comment says the poster is from California, I'm not sure where that track was being built but if it was in California then I can understand the EPA restrictions. However for most of the country I don't think they concern theirselves as much with an issue like this. I've never known the EPA to come to an mx track in NC.
woodsrider427
8/24/2017 6:08pm
oceantrav wrote:
I'm getting ready to buy this 46 gallon tank off Amazon for $70 and put it behind my seat in my Motovan. Then getting this 2800psi...
I'm getting ready to buy this 46 gallon tank off Amazon for $70 and put it behind my seat in my Motovan. Then getting this 2800psi ryobi pressure washer from Home Depot for $300.

I have (2) 30 gallon tanks just like that (they are for RV's) but the tap holes on mine (they look like the blue ones in the picture) don't let enough water flow to keep my gas pressure washer fed. It works great with my electric power washer though, but for that you need a small generator.

As for washing the bikes at the track, I have always found the quicker you can get the dirt off (at least with the red clay around here), the easier it is. When it dries, it's like concrete. So when it's wet for practice I find it easier to rinse all that off before motos, then it's an easy clean at the end of the day (unless of course it rains). I also finds it easier to clean everything while it's still out of the trailer, that way the bikes can stay in the trailer when we get home unless work needs to be done on them. A fresh filter and it's ready for the next time, I even change the oil at the track. Once Monday starts, I don't have as much time to mess with bikes.
wfo4ever
8/24/2017 6:14pm
Maybe I am crazy, but I always washed my bike at home, never at the race track. I only rode my motorcycle at the race track with the goal of being first to the checkered flag. Never worried about what my bike or gear looked like during the race, I was more interested in winning.

The Shop

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
8/24/2017 6:23pm
Radical wrote:
I live in a condo now and the HOA doesn't allow any washing of vehicles, let alone mud running down the gutter. So I appreciate the...
I live in a condo now and the HOA doesn't allow any washing of vehicles, let alone mud running down the gutter.

So I appreciate the bike wash at Perris raceway. It would be even better if it was free, but I don't mind paying $4 to head home with a clean bike.

I use a mix of about 20% Simple Green in a small pressurizable spray bottle you can get anywhere. I spray down all the really mucky stuff on the bike, then start up the pressure washer, and it all comes clean.

It would be great if Pala could add the same setup or leave a water hookup, and I'll bring my own power washer.
Where is the bike wash at Perris? I have been riding there a bunch and I have never seen it.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
8/24/2017 9:40pm
Radical wrote:
I live in a condo now and the HOA doesn't allow any washing of vehicles, let alone mud running down the gutter. So I appreciate the...
I live in a condo now and the HOA doesn't allow any washing of vehicles, let alone mud running down the gutter.

So I appreciate the bike wash at Perris raceway. It would be even better if it was free, but I don't mind paying $4 to head home with a clean bike.

I use a mix of about 20% Simple Green in a small pressurizable spray bottle you can get anywhere. I spray down all the really mucky stuff on the bike, then start up the pressure washer, and it all comes clean.

It would be great if Pala could add the same setup or leave a water hookup, and I'll bring my own power washer.
Myke wrote:
Where is the bike wash at Perris? I have been riding there a bunch and I have never seen it.
When you enter the front gate, go about 20 feet, then make a hard right (180) around the fence, and look to your right.

There's a cement slab and a power wash machine that I believe accepts cash or a debit or credit card. I'm not positive on the payment methods though. I only used it a couple of times and I haven't been there in about 10 months.
8/25/2017 4:36am
Here is my current up and the barrel serves as a good tableSmile

MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
8/25/2017 6:55am
When buying a pressure washer to use at the track from a barrel, consider the GPM rating on the washer. You don't need 3800 PSI / 3.5 GPM to wash a bike and you are really just wasting all the water.

A small washer with 1.2-1.6 GPM works great and doesn't use that much water (though to get that small you probably have to go electric). If Gas stay with as low of GPM as you can find.

As some others have said, I rarely actually wash my bike at the track during the race day. What I do though, is wash it all up real nice at the end of the day and then load up a clean bike to take home, and finish the final re-prep at home. It's nice to go home from the track with a clean bike!
Beeler341
8/25/2017 8:56am
I guess I should have been more specific. I do my main bike wash at home. The races I do are normally a two or three day trip. I am on the east coast and it's normally pretty damn muddy every morning for practice. I don't wash in between motor it's more of just at the end of the practice day.
8/25/2017 9:31am
oceantrav wrote:
I'm getting ready to buy this 46 gallon tank off Amazon for $70 and put it behind my seat in my Motovan. Then getting this 2800psi...
I'm getting ready to buy this 46 gallon tank off Amazon for $70 and put it behind my seat in my Motovan. Then getting this 2800psi ryobi pressure washer from Home Depot for $300.

I have 2 smaller ones like that in my enclosed trailer. To maintain good flow/pressure, I have something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shurflo-RV-Fresh-Water-Pump-New-12-volt-3-5-gpm…

To make filling easy without worry of overflowing tank, these things are nice. That take some commitment to take a big hole saw to the side of a motovan though!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valterra-Round-WHITE-Gravity-Fresh-Water-Fill-H…

kkawboy14
8/25/2017 9:51am
Bultaco wrote:
Dang... Used to be a pro in Kansas (long time ago) that did not even wash his bikes between races, let alone between motos. He was...
Dang...

Used to be a pro in Kansas (long time ago) that did not even wash his bikes between races, let alone between motos. He was still plenty quick.

Sounds like modern racers have Howard Hughes Syndrome. ;-)
Yep.....raced for 30 years and have never had to wash my bike at a track!
woodsrider427
8/25/2017 10:43am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2017 10:44am
Bultaco wrote:
Dang... Used to be a pro in Kansas (long time ago) that did not even wash his bikes between races, let alone between motos. He was...
Dang...

Used to be a pro in Kansas (long time ago) that did not even wash his bikes between races, let alone between motos. He was still plenty quick.

kkawboy14 wrote:
I've been at this off and on for 25 years and have seen people washing their bikes at the track since day one, fast riders and slow riders. And I don't think someone washing their bike at the track means they are not there to win. I've seen plenty of fast guys washing their bike between motos.

You mean to tell me it's not nice to rinse your bike off after a muddy moto or practice and get all of that crud out of the wheels, brakes, controls, etc.? I can't tell you how many times people have commented on my set up over the years. Now I am a little over the top OCD (and have no problem admitting it), but that's not the point. To each their own.
kxking
Fantasy
1235th
8/25/2017 11:21am
My longest running sponser was Karcher Canada so I always had to have a clean bike at the track.....(it was written in my contract). So I would bring a 35gal blue drum and one of the Karcher pressure washers, and that was enough to wash it after each practice and moto. It was actually much nicer loading up a clean bike at the end of the day and having 1 less thing to worry about when I got home....
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
8/25/2017 6:30pm
Radical wrote:

Myke wrote:
Radical wrote:
When you enter the front gate, go about 20 feet, then make a hard right (180) around the fence, and look to your right. There's a...
When you enter the front gate, go about 20 feet, then make a hard right (180) around the fence, and look to your right.

There's a cement slab and a power wash machine that I believe accepts cash or a debit or credit card. I'm not positive on the payment methods though. I only used it a couple of times and I haven't been there in about 10 months.
Thanks! I'll look for it next time I am there.
8/25/2017 10:17pm
I'd much rather wash my bike at home than haul extra supplies. I just throw in my gear in the back seat, a small socket set and an adjustable wrench, get some ramps and load the bike up. Way too much effort to bring a drum and pressure washer since I have a washing area at home. It takes me a good 30min at least to wash my bike, particularly when its muddy. Depending on the distance, much of the mud dries and falls off on the way home so that makes it a little easier to clean.
86honda
8/25/2017 10:26pm
Spray your plastics and swing arm and tires with WD 40. The mud will not stick to it and if you use B52 cleaner in a pump up sprayer you will never need a pressure washer again. Melts off dirt and grime show room clean
86honda
8/25/2017 10:34pm
Spray your plastics and swing arm and tires with WD 40. The mud will not stick to it and if you use B52 cleaner in a pump up sprayer you will never need a pressure washer again. Melts off dirt and grime show room clean
Manco
8/26/2017 10:37am
oceantrav wrote:

I own that pressure washer. It all right and gets the job done. A few complaints: The governor is shoddy and doesn't regulate lowering the RPM very well which forces the motor to over work fairly often for at least several seconds when the trigger is released. The governor also doesn't do all that well regulating when using the soap spray option. Often times it over pressures the soap spray when the trigger is pulled. The other issue I have with it is that the motor has no oil drain plug even the engine casting has a place for one. The only way to change the oil is to tip the unit on its side past 90 degrees and dump the oil out through the filler hole. To get the oil to all come out the unit needs to be held in the air at an angle or placed on a bench and tipped over the edge. Considering the engine is often overworked intermittently by the governor and changing the oil is such a pain in the ass its almost as if it was designed to wear out asap through overworking and discouragement of pita oil changes. Also the hose started to bulge in spots and go bad within 20 hours of use. Considering the price it should be a better designed and built unit.
305FC250
8/26/2017 12:03pm
Nothing about the OPs post insinuates anything to do with specifically washing bikes between motos or going all "factory mechanic" on race days... I don't understand all the negative posts with people assuming that... Some people just prefer like to clean their bike at the track after they are DONE RIDING for the day so when they get home they can just unload and be done with it. And as already mentioned, some people live in neighborhoods where they are not permitted to wash their bikes or even cars. Personally I wash mine at home but don't have an issue with people who wash at the track.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
8/26/2017 5:40pm
Check out the washing area setup at Ironman National.

Those are concrete slabs over a dugout about 3 feet deep that the dirt strains into.

a
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
8/26/2017 6:56pm
MXVet261 wrote:
Check out the washing area setup at Ironman National. Those are concrete slabs over a dugout about 3 feet deep that the dirt strains into. a[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/26/211666/s1200_20170826_154415.jpg[/img]
Check out the washing area setup at Ironman National.

Those are concrete slabs over a dugout about 3 feet deep that the dirt strains into.

a
HA! This is exactly what I was talking about! 1 or 2 bays for a local track would be a dream.
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
8/26/2017 7:16pm
10 minute stop on the way home.

kkawboy14
8/26/2017 9:13pm
Bultaco wrote:
Dang...

kkawboy14 wrote:
I've been at this off and on for 25 years and have seen people washing their bikes at the track since day one, fast riders and...
I've been at this off and on for 25 years and have seen people washing their bikes at the track since day one, fast riders and slow riders. And I don't think someone washing their bike at the track means they are not there to win. I've seen plenty of fast guys washing their bike between motos.

You mean to tell me it's not nice to rinse your bike off after a muddy moto or practice and get all of that crud out of the wheels, brakes, controls, etc.? I can't tell you how many times people have commented on my set up over the years. Now I am a little over the top OCD (and have no problem admitting it), but that's not the point. To each their own.
Well you are the king of reading between the lines. But I said I have never had to, didn't mean I didn't want to sometimes!
BobbyM
8/26/2017 10:11pm
Beeler341 wrote:
What's everybodies set up they use to get there bikes washed at the track? 95% of the tracks I go to don't have a direct line...
What's everybodies set up they use to get there bikes washed at the track? 95% of the tracks I go to don't have a direct line you can run off of. I'm just looking for some ideas and how other people are getting the job done!
Good question... My scooters weren't behind anybody else's scooter too often to see very much dirt. Just load it up and throw on a clean filter for the next race or moto. Yup... Exactly like I remembered it....
JM485
8/26/2017 10:35pm
BobbyM wrote:
Good question... My scooters weren't behind anybody else's scooter too often to see very much dirt. Just load it up and throw on a clean filter...
Good question... My scooters weren't behind anybody else's scooter too often to see very much dirt. Just load it up and throw on a clean filter for the next race or moto. Yup... Exactly like I remembered it....
You must not have lapped very many people like I do, back markers really do a number on the front plate.Silly
woodsrider427
8/27/2017 6:25am
kkawboy14 wrote:
I've been at this off and on for 25 years and have seen people washing their bikes at the track since day one, fast riders and...

kkawboy14 wrote:
Well you are the king of reading between the lines. But I said I have never had to, didn't mean I didn't want to sometimes!
You got me!!

Post a reply to: Washing your bike at the track.

The Latest