Washing area at home - Need ideas

Related:
Create New Tag

11/11/2019 1:56 AM

I'm tired of having a permanent sandbox in my driveway at home, and I'm looking for a solution. Has anybody built anything sweet? I have a lawn, and I'd be willing to give up a corner of it to build something. I'm looking for ideas.

|

11/11/2019 2:29 AM

As you said, give up a corner..

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

11/11/2019 4:03 AM

I know a guy that will do your boots, armor and helmet if you send them to him. That should alleviate your problem a little bit at the very least.

|

11/11/2019 4:18 AM

I wash my bikes in the grass.

|

11/11/2019 4:20 AM

If you have a lawn, wash the bike on the lawn.

|

11/11/2019 4:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2019 4:26 AM

Build a wooden framed box and put a metal grate on top of it. Put your bike up on there and wash it. When it accumulates lots of dirt, take the grate off and get rid of the dirt. Just brainstorming for ya.

Kinda like a kids sandbox perhaps.

|

11/11/2019 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2019 5:14 PM

|

11/11/2019 7:58 AM

I always had the idea to make a small gravelled area to wash the bike on. That way the dirt works its way through the gravel and you never really have to see it.

|

11/11/2019 8:00 AM

Concrete slab?

|

11/11/2019 8:16 AM

I like this one, could be adapted for Moto
|

11/11/2019 8:20 AM

Here's what I did: place two heavy-duty pallets on top of a layer of leveled gravel/crushed rock.

The rock helps displace the water and avoids flooding your yard or leaving big puddles behind. I just blow the excess dirt/mud/sand into the yard, grass and wherever else I can make it disappear.

The heavy duty pallets are nice because there is minimal gap between the slats,

|

11/11/2019 8:41 AM

I built a wash station in my back yard. 10' x 15' square area with curbing around it. I then dug it down a foot or so and put down weed barrier cloth. Filled it with rock from the local building supply yard. It's been 10 years now, and its just starting to get filled with washed off dirt, Probably have to pull the rock and redo it in the next yea or two, but it has been awesome so far though.

|

11/11/2019 8:47 AM

What you need is a soak away tank with an interceptor to trap any oil & fuel that may go into the water, they’re normally about 6 feet deep, so for what you do, it’ll take forever to fill up. Obviously you need space & money to build & maintain.

Like others have said, lawn is the next best thing. I did this for over 10 years & there’s a slight mound were all the mud gets washed off.

|

11/11/2019 9:20 AM

I have a concrete slab for a back patio with no covering. I just blast all the dirt back in to the lawn when I'm done and quickly spray down the sliding glass door from any splatter.

|

11/11/2019 10:05 AM

If you ride in heavy clay when it's a bit muddy, it will pile up on your nice lawn quickly. Otherwise rotating around your grass is good too.

|

11/11/2019 10:51 AM

.kyle wrote:

I always had the idea to make a small gravelled area to wash the bike on. That way the dirt works its way through the gravel ...more

I have done exactly this and it works great for a year or so, but a bit of rain and sunshine and accumulated dirt and voila, grass growing through it. Would post a pic but it's night time here. I now have to dig up my gravel and replace it.

Don't do this.

|

If talk is cheap, silence must be expensive because nobody can afford it!

11/11/2019 10:55 AM

.kyle wrote:

I always had the idea to make a small gravelled area to wash the bike on. That way the dirt works its way through the gravel ...more

This is what I’ve done for the last 20 years. Once every couple years I add a little gravel to freshen it up and hide the bit of dirt that builds up. Cheap and easy.

|

11/11/2019 11:01 AM

.kyle wrote:

GoonRider93 wrote:

I have done exactly this and it works great for a year or so, but a bit of rain and sunshine and accumulated dirt and voila, ...more

Could always use some weedkiller/bleach to kill the grass. Or maybe borrow a sheep?

|

11/11/2019 11:06 AM

I don't think I've ever wash my bike in the same spot, move around the yard and have never noticed any buildup of dirt/sand. Having an area with an infrared heater would be pretty sweet though...

|

11/11/2019 11:42 AM

You need a way to "catch" the dirt that is washed off the bike, so you'll need to either dig a hole in the ground and fill it with rocks, or build a raised platform (2x4's) with some sort of removable basin underneath that will catch the water and dirt. Would probably be a good idea to separate the dirt from the water via some weed barrier fabric, so you only have to deal with emptying the dirt after it accumulates.

|

11/11/2019 12:02 PM

You guys from CA are funny.. 10 years of washing and just a small mound? Back east the gravel would be covered in a month.

Photo

|

11/11/2019 12:09 PM

Some really elebaorate set ups. Washing it in the yard works for me. Knock off the large build up with a plastic scraper, rake it away to wherever isnt an issue i have a compost pile so toss it over there. and wash the bike. No issues.

|

11/11/2019 12:33 PM

Why bring the mud home. I wash at the track before i load up

|

11/11/2019 1:07 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

I like this one, could be adapted for Moto

I was going to post this up. The dirt from an MX bike would be heavier so you'd have to widen the slats a little bit.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

11/11/2019 5:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/11/2019 5:15 PM

Concrete slab with a floor drain. Run the drain pipe out one side of the slab terminating into a French drain. A 3X3X3 hole filled with quarry rock. If your worried about oil, buy a restaurant style grease trap. Here's a pic of a grease trap. If you need a schematic I can draw you one and tell you the parts you need. Photo

|

11/11/2019 8:06 PM

zippytech wrote:

You guys from CA are funny.. 10 years of washing and just a small mound? Back east the gravel would be covered in a month.

Photo

Originally from Louisiana and yes the amount of dirt taken home is not even comparable from Louisiana to California. Would have more dirt on my rear wheelalone in La. than I do my whole bike here in Ca. and that’s riding while they are watering the track. (Yes they do that here at some tracks) Different kind of dirt out here for sure and I am glad that it is not a “chore” to wash bikes anymore. I average about 7mins at the carwash. From dirty to clean and I’m pretty ocd about clean.

|

11/12/2019 2:16 AM

Of course there is one other option - wash your bike on your neighbours lawn when they're out. You don't have to deal with the mud and they're left wondering how big the mole is.

|