Was this the worst coverage of the year?

smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
3/15/2021 8:40am
I think they follow 1 rider too long . Move it around keep switching. Will is adding nothing, make it about set up or engine etc not feelings every single time.🀒 ps dump the guy that has no clue and should never hold a pit board. Makes the sport look so unprofessional.
nskerb
3/15/2021 8:40am
I'm hopping on this thread late and only skimmed the comments but didn't see if anybody mentioned this yet.

They frickin had the camera on Hammaker with a football field worth of lead over the finish completely ignoring the points battle where cooper went down. Randomly saw the guys come over the finish in a weird order, have to wait for a replay. WTF
38special
3/15/2021 8:46am
I don't expect perfect coverage, but I think it has gotten worse as time goes on.

- Let RC speak off the cuff. It seems he's trying to be too polished and it's getting worse to where he can't get out complete thoughts or sentences many times.

- Picture in Picture is horribly small. I cannot believe this continues like this.

- How many cuts to Wil do we really need - she's not bringing current info, she's relaying info from "chats" that happened days ago.

- The cheeseball stuff with Rutlege is an INSULT to 80% of the viewers.

Everything else I can live with.
Hammer 663s
3/15/2021 9:10am
Early 450 heat race battle in progress, they mentioned something along the lines of "...last time Webb was in Texas...". My wife thinks I'm crazy when...
Early 450 heat race battle in progress, they mentioned something along the lines of "...last time Webb was in Texas...". My wife thinks I'm crazy when I yell "Don't cut away to that fkn crash clip while they are still fighting for the . ... GD DMIT !"

LOL same shit in our house at the same time. Except my wife is yelling at them too! "Yes, we know he busted his @ss there last year, so we are missing the pass attempt that was JUST about to go down!?!?!"

Hammer 663s

The Shop

snillum
Fantasy
329th
3/15/2021 10:26am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2021 10:31am
I don't even get mad any more. I just expect it. Every race I'm less and less disappointed. We watched Dylan ride off the track for what felt like eternity after his crash... while the race was still going on. Cut away from battles to watch someone ride by themselves. My number 1 peeve is when they show some ones crash from last year during a live race. WTF?

Do you all prefer the positions be displayed on the side of the screen or scrolling on the top like it used to be? I like being able to see everyone's position at once but It just takes up too much real estate on the screen in my opinion.

This kid has the right idea. Just let us watch the race. PLEASE.

I guess the childish Rutledge wood thing about how to raise a flag is more for the children? I dunno, I just mute it and turn on Pandora any more.
3/15/2021 11:01am
When Larry Maiers first got hired for the television broadcasts, he said the producer told him, "it's a lot easier for me to teach a motorcycle guy how to do television than it is for me to teach a television guy about motorcycles,' or something like that.

I don't know if this Bondo guy has a racing background, but I bet they could teach somebody like Jt$ how to produce a night show and he would crush it. He knows how to race, he knows how to observe the whole track and look for developing stories and he knows when you should NOT cut away to something less important.
ShawdowGlen
3/15/2021 11:09am
Seriously....coverage is not that bad, it's never going to be perfect. It's hard to capture all that is going on on one screen...even with split screen.

Ricky and Diffey are doing a great job. I still kinda miss crazy Ralph though

Biggest issues for me.

Cutting from the race for long periods to show replays of last weeks crash/interviews/etc. Babbling on and following someone on track when something bigger/more important is happening.

Spending too much time on a rider with mechanical problems/etc on side of track. Flash to it, mention it and move on.

Split screens.....images become too small to see any detail of what is going on.

Will Christiens screeching assault of worthless information. These are full on FF or mute segments for me. She's unlikable anyway....replace her with Ashley Reynard.

ButtRedge.... a pox on the person and their family of whoever decided to put this ass clown on screen. That steaming pile of whale shit added nothing of value to the broadcast.

Adam43
3/15/2021 11:36am
Last year they got this idea that they needed to have Wil, Blair, and Ralph himself inject the main event full of brainless, completely irrelevant anecdotes - and they have doubled down on it.

RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
3/15/2021 11:38am
I love it when you hear the crowd cheer because something is happening that isn't on the screen.
They can't follow all riders at all times. But it would be nice if they could at least show us a replay of who went down when you hear the crowd scream.
rallendude
3/15/2021 11:48am
One thing to add......or question: Who decided this week was the week we were going to drive home the word "residency?"

Residency - 1.the fact of living in a place.2.(HISTORICAL) the official residence of the British governor general's representative or other government agent, especially at the court of an Indian state.

Having three races in one venue during an 8 day period is not this ^^^^.
HusqFan3
3/15/2021 12:33pm
TeamGreen wrote:
So, you don't like the TV coverage?

You should try calling the 800 number for the results and just stop watching Silly

Grinning
That’s a great attitude... Either accept mediocrity or just move on.

I for one think his points are completely valid. Why they elect to replay every non-consequential tip over at the expense of live racing I’ll never understand. And there’s plenty of filler in the 3hr broadcast to show coop’s crash for the 3,237th time but instead they always run it during live racing. And don’t even get me started on RC losing his mind a few times every broadcast over a crash that didn’t happen...
brettmx
3/15/2021 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2021 1:01pm
rallendude wrote:
The coverage does seem to have been slipping all year long. I really don't have any problems with RC. I think he should try to be...
The coverage does seem to have been slipping all year long.

I really don't have any problems with RC. I think he should try to be more of a color guy than a play caller but I'm okay with him there. I don't think he's going to progress over a five year span like Emig diid. I just don't think that's who RC is.

Diffy, I can do without. There has to be 20 people in the US that could do as well. I'm not bagging on him for being Aussie. It's just from where I sit, it looks like they are trying too hard to touch too many bases. We've got an Aussie announcer, and ex-racer color guy, a couple of girls on the floor giving their two-cents (.99 for Will). Some car guy roaming around distracting people from their jobs for the night.

I think it was the gypsy dude that said, "there is no such thing as a casual motocross/supercross fan." Give up on tying to get Nascar folks here. It's not like they are thriving over there anyway. Give up on trying to get that "international feel" into the production. Just be SX.

The picture in picture does need a lot of help. Two pictures added together that don't cover half my screen is useless.

Will, oh Will. I'm happy she's able to get insights from the riders and teams but, can we please limit her time each segment? It feels like she's read the whole book "To Kill a Mockingbird" in five minutes. About two races ago I just quit attempting to listen while she steps in on the racing action. She's talking 9,000 mph, her mic is awful, and that mask...... Slow down a bit. Say only what is needed. Get a better dynamic mic with more windscreen and pot her up some so she isn't screaming into the mic. Then ditch the mask while you are standing all alone on the floor talking into a microphone.

Spot on. At least RC stopped saying, "hitting his marks".
CPR
3/15/2021 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2021 1:19pm
brettmx wrote:
Yeah he was saying that β€œjust a little bit” too much.
bowl
3/15/2021 2:14pm
OT wrote:
Last lap of 250 main they decide to show Hammaker going over the line solo instead of Cooper about to torpedo McAdoo

Nice work guys
That would be time to use split screen.
motomike137
3/15/2021 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2021 7:12pm
brettmx wrote:
CPR wrote:
Yeah he was saying that β€œjust a little bit” too much.
His new thing is saying how " he revved his engine " as someone dives into a corner inside another rider. Can he hear shit like that from the booth and does that really work at this level?
3/15/2021 7:55pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Have ya noticed the kids get a little upset and snide when we have a few laughs about the good ol' days? Better, yet, they are...
Have ya noticed the kids get a little upset and snide when we have a few laughs about the good ol' days?
Better, yet, they are entitled to tell us about the internet...even when we were using it (ARPAnet/Tlenet/CSnet...etc.) before it went public... or before they were born... or before Al Gore invnented it...
Bwaahaaahaaaaaahaaaaaa

Good Times.
Good Times.
JeepnMike wrote:
I know you remember the days.. How we 'watched' races, and got race results: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/15/483134/s1200_jan88.jpg[/img]
I know you remember the days.. How we 'watched' races, and got race results:

And cycle news, only have to wait a week. Miss that paper , all the different races, etc
TXDirt
3/15/2021 7:59pm
Who is this Rutledge guy and what is he doing on the broadcast? Does he have moto roots? Where does he come from? I’m just clueless on why he’s there because he brings absolutely nothing of importance or substance to the broadcast.
hamncheeze
3/15/2021 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2021 8:33pm
nskerb wrote:
I'm hopping on this thread late and only skimmed the comments but didn't see if anybody mentioned this yet. They frickin had the camera on Hammaker...
I'm hopping on this thread late and only skimmed the comments but didn't see if anybody mentioned this yet.

They frickin had the camera on Hammaker with a football field worth of lead over the finish completely ignoring the points battle where cooper went down. Randomly saw the guys come over the finish in a weird order, have to wait for a replay. WTF
Weigandt has addressed this before on some Pulp podcast. He says from a production standpoint they have to show the winner crossing the finish line. You show the start, so you have to show the finish and the checkers, and give the sponsors their moment.

I do agree that split screen would be much better used when there is a runaway winner. Show the battle on the big screen, finish line on the smaller, ideally. Also, the split screen generally sucks and others have mentioned, the race order on the left side already chops the screen down, then a split screen really doesn't work. I'd fully support going back to the scrolling banner at the top, it's 2021 and I can have live timing open on my phone to see the complete order if I need it.

Honestly, after reading this thread if we take the commentary and non-racing segments out the discussion, I certainly feel the move to NBC has led to much worse camera work in general. The last few years of Fox, they really did have the camera work pretty dialed. Go back and watch some races from 2015-2018 and it's much better.
ShawdowGlen
3/15/2021 9:16pm
TXDirt wrote:
Who is this Rutledge guy and what is he doing on the broadcast? Does he have moto roots? Where does he come from? I’m just clueless...
Who is this Rutledge guy and what is he doing on the broadcast? Does he have moto roots? Where does he come from? I’m just clueless on why he’s there because he brings absolutely nothing of importance or substance to the broadcast.
On the Matthis/JT/Weege podcast about Arlington1....you could tell they were all biting their tongues on Buttredge.

Epic f**king mistake by whoever put him there.

Longtime fans are not happy. We've seen what the bullshit forced upon people has done to NFL, NBA, NASCAR...ESPN etc has done to those sports.

You'd think the dumb f**kers would learn their lesson.
greenmx5
3/16/2021 5:36am
I love it when you hear the crowd cheer because something is happening that isn't on the screen.
That's always my favorite. And then we continue watching someone ride around by themselves and the commentary just goes on like a bedtime story talking about what the guy ate for breakfast that day.
gt80rider
3/16/2021 8:39am
bowl wrote:
Ricky making so
manly little commentary mistakes.
Painful at times
Can't fix home schooling... seriously, his take on the English language was learned at tracks, so when he says things like "most bestest" my brain wants to explode
gt80rider
3/16/2021 8:39am
TXDirt wrote:
Who is this Rutledge guy and what is he doing on the broadcast? Does he have moto roots? Where does he come from? I’m just clueless...
I take him as the bottom bear of the crew....
hamncheeze
3/16/2021 8:58am
Well buckle up, tonight we have Todd Harris back in the booth. MONSTERCROSS!
MudPup545
3/18/2021 5:14am
MudPup545 wrote:
All you guys complaining...... geesh, at least you could see your TV screen. πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/14/482951/s1200_574FE8CB_D120_4095_BA69_2EB952123F0C.jpg[/img]
All you guys complaining...... geesh, at least you could see your TV screen. πŸ˜œπŸ˜‚
I thought only cats blocked views!

That's a hilarious pic.
His name is GOAT. Yes, after RC. He’s a trip and does this often. πŸ˜‚
tickleme20
3/18/2021 8:10am
bowl wrote:
Ricky making so
manly little commentary mistakes.
Painful at times
gt80rider wrote:
Can't fix home schooling... seriously, his take on the English language was learned at tracks, so when he says things like "most bestest" my brain wants...
Can't fix home schooling... seriously, his take on the English language was learned at tracks, so when he says things like "most bestest" my brain wants to explode
Redundancies are such a Ricky-ism. "Learning lesson" is my personal favorite Grinning
4/2/2021 3:00am Edited Date/Time 4/2/2021 3:01am
Na, in 2002 I used to buy mx magazines so I could see results that were a month old, now I complain if the live stream freezes.....2002 was worse.

Post a reply to: Was this the worst coverage of the year?

The Latest