Was the fist fight good or bad for the sport?

Ryan_Roberts
Edited Date/Time 1/12/2016 1:27pm
Obviously it was a bit unprofessional, but how many millions of people watched it on Facebook today and will tune in next week that might not have.

Good or bad it was a lot of publicity for the sport.
|
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
1/10/2016 2:39pm
A fight between to pretty much no-name riders (Peick is a little more known within MX/SX, but outside the industry he's nobody) isn't going to bring in many new fans. Shoot most people outside of MX/SX barely know James Stewart or Ryan Dungey.

I think the Wheeties box will do more for the sport than the fight.

I'm honestly perplexed how anybody who can like Nascar racing can't like SX/MX. Nascar has to be one of the most boring racing sports in all of racing. We have better racing, more action, more passing, various obstacles, etc.
Pdub
1/10/2016 2:41pm
Depends on how you define "bad for the sport."

If the only concern is attention and ratings, and you subscribe to the sentiment that "there's no such thing as bad publicity" then it was great. Feld and the industrie doesn't care if the fan base is made up of non-discerning yokels, as long as they pay that money. This ain't Formula 1.

But seriously, nothing can kill supercross/motocross. On the unfortunate flip side, nothing will make it any bigger than it is.

The Shop

Hut
1/10/2016 2:47pm
Might put more douchebags in the stands, soooo that's?
hvaughn88
1/10/2016 2:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2016 2:48pm
Was this thread good or bad or vitalmx?
mx836
1/10/2016 2:50pm
Bad. Vince needs to go. That would have never happened if not for him.
Juss
1/10/2016 2:50pm
TbonesPop wrote:
A fight between to pretty much no-name riders (Peick is a little more known within MX/SX, but outside the industry he's nobody) isn't going to bring...
A fight between to pretty much no-name riders (Peick is a little more known within MX/SX, but outside the industry he's nobody) isn't going to bring in many new fans. Shoot most people outside of MX/SX barely know James Stewart or Ryan Dungey.

I'm honestly perplexed how anybody who can like Nascar racing can't like SX/MX. Nascar has to be one of the most boring racing sports in all of racing. We have better racing, more action, more passing, various obstacles, etc.
Honestly do people really buy wheeties? I have never bought a box befor.
1/10/2016 2:51pm
I don't think it was bad for anyone.

Do we really want to portray a crystal clean cut image? This sport is hard, dirty, and physical. Not saying Weston did the right thing at the right time but I don't think Vince is an angel either. It happened, it was exciting, and teams are already over it and peeping for next week.
ga_pike
1/10/2016 2:52pm
It was good. It's put some publicity out for the sport that it normally wouldn't receive. Any pub is good pub, right? Even saw it on one of the major news networks this morning. Mainstream media that wouldn't normally smguve 2 hoots about SX.

Ask NASCAR. They claim to dislike fights and intentional wrecks... but they broadcast that stuff non-stop because it brings more viewers.

1/10/2016 3:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2016 3:09pm
I can't say that it has been good or bad, but the fight has pretty much gone viral => reports being made on news sites that would otherwise not even talk about the sport.

I am not a fan of the Belgian HLN news outlet, and to my knowledge this is the first time ever they post some news about American Supercross. But i guess it's still cool to see that mainstream news is reporting something about the sport.

Link to the article: http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/9091/Time-out/article/detail/2580490/2016/01/1…

* Link doesn't appear to be working when redirected from VitalMX. No idea why it works when i copy paste it into my url bar.
1/10/2016 3:04pm
Hut wrote:
Might put more douchebags in the stands, soooo that's?
If we are worried about d-bags in the stands than we should shut the show down right now. Trashier than NASCAR.

The fight was good for the sport.

Non-moto fan texted me this morning and sent me a link of the fight. He had never seen Supercross before.
Motochimp
1/10/2016 3:19pm
Normally a fight is between 2 consenting adults... that was nothing but an old fashion smack down!
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
1/10/2016 3:36pm
Juss wrote:
Honestly do people really buy wheeties? I have never bought a box befor.
Some people do. I used to love them, but don't eat them anymore as I try to limit gluten intake. The no-gluten movement has to be taking some effect on them and other wheat based cereals at some point. But as for cereal, I LOVE to eat wheaties with honey on them, one of my favorite snacks.
kiwifan
1/10/2016 3:39pm
Excellent publicity...but way too much violence in this world so kinda wish it hadn't happened. I do agree with a poster above in that it was the most exciting thing to happen on the night.
1/10/2016 3:44pm
TbonesPop wrote:
A fight between to pretty much no-name riders (Peick is a little more known within MX/SX, but outside the industry he's nobody) isn't going to bring...

NASCAR (with a lot of rules manipulation) has created very close racing. Imagine how much more exciting SX would be if we had three or more riders battling for the win on the last lap. Typically, short track pavement racing (to me) is one of the most boring events to watch. In 1984/85, the Speedrome (Indianapolis) ran a Thursday night midget series that inverted the top (10 or 12) cars for the main event. Some of the most exciting racing I've ever seen involved Rich Vogler trying to get to the front in a 20 lap main. Not considered real racing to the the purists (fast guys should always start in front), but a lot more fun to watch.
DPR250R
1/10/2016 3:54pm
I think it will lead to more boos for red flags.
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
1/10/2016 5:08pm
It all depends. I think it's bad because it will attract the DBag demographic and the legitimacy of the sport will diminish. It can also be seen as good because the same demographic will bring more dollars.

The bottom line...

Good: More dollars for the sport from the fans it will draw
Bad: Less respect as a legitimate top tier sport known to have an ignorant fan base.

I personally view it as Bad.
Hut
1/10/2016 5:20pm
DPR250R wrote:
I think it will lead to more boos for red flags.
Laughing
40Plus_922mx
1/10/2016 5:24pm
The fight itself has less of an impact on the sport than how the officials chose to deal with it.
fidiot
1/10/2016 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2016 5:30pm
Good for the sport. It is not the national chess tournament ya know?
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
1/10/2016 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2016 5:33pm
To the general public and the casual fan these were 2 no name riders going at it for 5th place n a Semi or wherever they were. It will help attract future viewers only if it makes it to ESPN.

Now if this was Dungey vs Stewart and it was for 1st place in the Main and one of them was not cowering like a frightened puppy then this would be huge and the sport would take off. These are 2 men and I can bet neither of them would sit there and take a beating like Freise did. It takes two to make a good fight and unfortunately only one showed up.

THE single biggest event in NASCAR history happened at the 79 Daytona 500 on the last lap when the 2 leaders tangled and fisticuffs ensued after the cars stopped spinning. These two fought like rabid dogs....that is what men do....and the ratings and tv exposure took off
machine
1/10/2016 5:32pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Neutral.
Agreed....but Freise needs to go...been a trouble maker for WAY too long...
Stoop
Fantasy
767th
1/10/2016 5:35pm
Even made the news in Australia. must be a slow news day.

MR. X
1/10/2016 5:36pm
It worked to put NASCAR on the map , seems like a lot of gold diggers want to be where is trashcar is at today.

Post a reply to: Was the fist fight good or bad for the sport?

The Latest