Was the 250 main a lap short?

gerg
Edited Date/Time 1/11/2022 8:14pm
I bought this up in another thread and the more I think about it with someone else thinking I had a valid question, I thought it was separate topic worthy rather than railroad the other thread.

I'll copy paste my reply to Jemcee:

My understanding is that the last lap flag is waved the next time the leader crosses the line when the clock has counted down to zero.

Craig crossed the line in this instance with time still remaining on the clock (2 seconds). In fact I watched the replay closer and finish line flagger is waving the blue flag to slower riders when Craig crosses the line.
The time then ran out and the white flag should then first have been waved the next time Craig came around again.

Instead it was immediately waved at Seth, Garret and Hunter.

Unless there is something I am not understanding, the race was technically a lap short.

If this is the case then Hunter was really on for second place with another lap to go.
Potentially could affect a championship outcome.
|
slowgti
1/10/2022 6:59pm
I think they were rushing to make up tv time because of the red flag earlier
1/10/2022 7:03pm
I’m going to look tomorrow. Live I was pretty sure I saw a white flag because I remember the announcer saying two laps when I clearly saw the white flag.
1/10/2022 7:38pm
I think it was. Between Craig crossing the finish line and Hammaker crossing is when the clock hit 0. They waved the white flag for Hammaker. I could be wrong but I remember thinking the same thing during the race.
1/10/2022 7:41pm
We were correct. I tried to screenshot peacock but it goes black. Craig crossed with 2 seconds to go, Ricky says “Craig crossed at the 2 second mark. That’s going to give Hammaker and Marchbanks an extra lap.” Then those two cross the finish line with a white flag.

The Shop

gerg
1/10/2022 7:46pm
We were correct. I tried to screenshot peacock but it goes black. Craig crossed with 2 seconds to go, Ricky says “Craig crossed at the 2...
We were correct. I tried to screenshot peacock but it goes black. Craig crossed with 2 seconds to go, Ricky says “Craig crossed at the 2 second mark. That’s going to give Hammaker and Marchbanks an extra lap.” Then those two cross the finish line with a white flag.
Yep...and take a close look when Craig crosses the line.

Tell me I'm not going crazy and the finish line flagger is waving the blue flag.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
1/10/2022 8:05pm
What’s funny is they did the exact same thing at Houston 1 last year! Time on the clock and the white flag came out! Couldn’t believe what I saw, how hard is it to count down to zero!
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
1/10/2022 8:12pm
That's Thrasher crossing the line in the screenshot.

Watch it again and you'll see Craig going the other way in the lane next to Hammaker/Marchbanks just after Thrasher goes over the finish line.
gerg
1/10/2022 8:17pm
SPYGUY wrote:
That's Thrasher crossing the line in the screenshot. Watch it again and you'll see Craig going the other way in the lane next to Hammaker/Marchbanks just...

Watch it again and you'll see Craig going the other way in the lane next to Hammaker/Marchbanks just after Thrasher goes over the finish line.
Oh wow great pickup!!!

I was so focused on who was going over the line I missed what was in plain site.

In the exact same frame you see Craig briefly in the opposite lane...him and Thrasher had the exact same colors that night...and of course Craig in the opposite lane equals the 7 second lead he had.

Looks like case dismissed.
Mit12
1/10/2022 8:28pm
SPYGUY wrote:
That's Thrasher crossing the line in the screenshot. Watch it again and you'll see Craig going the other way in the lane next to Hammaker/Marchbanks just...

When I first saw this I thought that you had it backwards, because I thought that Thrasher was Lapped. I went to timing and scoring and Thrasher went 16 laps. I believe you are correct. Good find.
mx313
1/10/2022 9:06pm
Race wasn't a lap short.
Time on the telecast was wrong.
And any1 complaining obviously has never been a finish line flagger.
Try looking at a stop watch. Watching the rider and knowing which 1 to put out at the right time. U have to wave the flag as the rider is coming up the the finish line. And not just stick it out last second.
mx313
1/10/2022 9:11pm

Total race time. 16.08
Last lap. 1.03
So he crossed the finish line at 15.05
gerg
1/10/2022 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2022 9:31pm
mx313 wrote:
Race wasn't a lap short. Time on the telecast was wrong. And any1 complaining obviously has never been a finish line flagger. Try looking at a...
Race wasn't a lap short.
Try looking at a stop watch. Watching the rider and knowing which 1 to put out at the right time. U have to wave the flag as the rider is coming up the the finish line. And not just stick it out last second.
Yeah I think you are probably spot on with that time when Christian Craig crossed the line but I dont think the time was wrong on the telecast.

The issue was Ricky had gotten Craig mixed up with Thrasher as SpyGuy pointed out above.
Then Ricky announced "Craig crossed the line with 2 seconds to go theres an extra lap bla bla" hence the confusion.

So in this case the system works Smile
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
1/11/2022 6:50pm
mx313 wrote:
Race wasn't a lap short. Time on the telecast was wrong. And any1 complaining obviously has never been a finish line flagger. Try looking at a...
Race wasn't a lap short.
So everyone but the leader saw a white flag? Asking for a friend.
1/11/2022 7:10pm
mx313 wrote:
Race wasn't a lap short.
So everyone but the leader saw a white flag? Asking for a friend.
No the flagging was done correctly.
Harv379
Fantasy
2029th
1/11/2022 7:42pm
Glad I wasn't the only one confused.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
1/11/2022 8:14pm
Short by a ball hair yet and under the circumstances one could say they got it wrong. There is always pressure up in the box at race control. Wont happen again.

At least it was not the cluster fuck the race control in F1 made. Let move on and look forward to the next one.

1/12/2022 10:56am
Boomslang wrote:
Short by a ball hair yet and under the circumstances one could say they got it wrong. There is always pressure up in the box at...
Short by a ball hair yet and under the circumstances one could say they got it wrong. There is always pressure up in the box at race control. Wont happen again.

At least it was not the cluster fuck the race control in F1 made. Let move on and look forward to the next one.

It wasn't short at all much less by your nasty ball hair. The explanation is right above.

Post a reply to: Was the 250 main a lap short?

The Latest