Power is nothing without control

10/9/2018 7:43 AM

keinz wrote:

Team USA dont count, because Anderson won his moto

What are you talking about?

|

10/9/2018 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2018 7:57 AM

What 2 men team? Vlaanderen started, DNF'ed and DNS'ed. That's a score. Anderson started, won and DNS'ed. That's a score aswell. Both teams got the 5 scores they need.

Switzerland was the real 2 men team in fact. Auberson forfaited for Sunday, so everything was up to Seewer and Guillod alone. That's why they are 20th, only four results.

|

10/9/2018 7:45 AM

keinz wrote:

You mean USA doesn't count because it ruins the point you're trying to make? It still ended up being a 2 man team, so what's the difference?

|

10/9/2018 7:52 AM

keinz wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't remember it happened before

I don't think it has, but not sure.

Either way, it was super impressive!!!

|

10/9/2018 8:01 AM

I don't think a two-man team has got on the podium before.

Team GB finished 5th in the 1985 MXdN with only two riders, after Kurt Nicoll got injured during free practice.

There's a forum member who can fill in the details.

|

10/9/2018 8:28 AM

keinz wrote:

Torco1 wrote:

You mean USA doesn't count because it ruins the point you're trying to make? It still ended up being a 2 man team, so what's ...more

Why can't you guys figure this out?

I'll reword the question: Was this the first time a team made the podium with only two riders actually finishing races? I don't know the answer either, but it's an interesting question.

In 2016, Anderson wasn't available for the podium, but he had finished a race (with a win, no less), so the USA counted five scores, none of which was a DNF/DNS. Get it now?

|

10/9/2018 8:35 AM

Netherlands did not have a 2 man team at all. Three men scored finishes. You literally can't podium with a 2 man team unless 17 other teams also only had 2 man teams. If you don't get 5 scores (which means at least 5 race starts), your final standing is after all the teams that got 5 scores. In 4 races, Switzerland had 95 points. If the got a 40 for one of the non-starts, they would have have 135 points, which would have placed them in 17th place. But they got 20th place with 95 points.

|

10/9/2018 8:40 AM

keinz wrote:

Torco1 wrote:

You mean USA doesn't count because it ruins the point you're trying to make? It still ended up being a 2 man team, so what's ...more

FillmoreSouth wrote:

I'll reword the question: Was this the first time a team made the podium with only two ...more

In 09, in Italy Paulin didn't make the podium too, he was in hospital as well after winning the MX2/MX3 moto ...

|

10/9/2018 8:47 AM

Frank Tuesday wrote:

Netherlands did not have a 2 man team at all. Three men scored finishes. You literally can't podium with a 2 man team unless ...more

I already stated this above, but I'll do it again: "Was this the first time a team made the podium with only two riders actually finishing races?"

Yes, we know, Vlandereen scored a 36 for running eight laps in Race 1. But only two riders finished races.

|

10/9/2018 9:01 AM

Frank Tuesday wrote:

Netherlands did not have a 2 man team at all. Three men scored finishes. You literally can't podium with a 2 man team unless ...more

Yes they did, Vlaanderen DNF one race and DNS the other, only two men finished their race, and that's what the OP was asking

|

10/9/2018 12:45 PM

FillmoreSouth wrote:

I'll reword the question: Was this the first time a team made the podium with only two ...more

They don’t want to, because it’s more fun to just bash someone.

But I actually wondered about the same thing sunday night. It’s pretty impressive.

|

10/9/2018 12:51 PM

I knew exactly what this guy was asking just from reading the thread title...why is it so hard to figure out? What the Netherlands did was very impressive.

How many times has someone won where they had to count a 35th+ place finish? I am not implying its never been done before, I just don't know.

|

Here's to feeling good all the time

10/9/2018 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/9/2018 12:59 PM

I’ll tell you one factoid that IS unique...

This was the first time that one nation won all three motos but DIDN’T win the overall.

|

10/9/2018 5:05 PM

In 1985, West Germany got 3rd on the podium despite having their 500cc rider, Michael Heutz, DNS all three motos. Back then all three riders raced all three motos, and teams were allowed to drop their three lowest scores; meaning that all his results were dropped.

Vlaanderen's 36, however, is the worst score ever kept by an MXdN team that managed to land on the podium since the des Nations switched to olympic scoring in 1963*. The next worst score to actually count would be Sweden's Hakan Andersson, who scored a 35 in the 2nd moto of the 1973 MXdN. Despite the score, the team still managed to finish 2nd overall.

*Before 1963, score's were based on the combined times of a team's 3 best finishers over a single moto. Teams that failed have at least 3 finishers weren't classified. This only ever affected the podium once - in 1960 - when Great Britain was the only team to have three finishers due to bad weather. The other two spots on the podium were left vacant that year.

|

10/9/2018 7:51 PM

smee113 wrote:

In 1985, West Germany got 3rd on the podium despite having their 500cc rider, Michael Heutz, DNS all three motos. Back then ...more

Nice work.

|