Was James Stewart the coolest rider that we never truly got to know as fans?

twotwosix
Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 4:00pm
I feel that, much like Villopoto, James is probably a really neat dude and that we really never got to know him as fans. We got a bit, but not the whole guy. I hate that he felt so betrayed by the sport that he literally felt his only option for an enjoyable life was to cut ties and go dark.

James, I hope your family is doing well and I hope you are learning how to just be a normal guy, leaving ‘Bubba’ begind. It was a hell of a chapter in your life, but I’m sure you are enjoying being Dad, Husband, business owner, etc these days. Having said that, I’d love to see you commentating some events (maybe RBSR?) and I’d love even more to stand in line for 4 hours again to say hello and get your autograph some time. Some of us simply appreciated you for the awesome talent and riding visionary you were and the spice you added to the sport. It would be really neat to see some of you again.
|
Excaliburbmx
9/2/2018 11:48am
Maybe you missed out somehow but James was a polarizing figure for at least a decade.
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
9/2/2018 12:16pm
What rider do you truly know as a fan now?
James when in his prime was the most talked about,interviewed and even had a TV show about him and his family shot at his compound.
From all of that he seems like a good guy and was the most fun to watch race.
What is it you want to know.?
ob
9/2/2018 2:02pm
Not cool at all. Ever heard of his reality show bubbas world? He lost me at “Ive never driven a manual car”. Bad ass on a bike, no way to deny that.

The Shop

hillbilly
9/2/2018 2:14pm
What about the people he pulled over with the flashing light,they got to know him some.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
9/2/2018 2:23pm
I think the only people who think that are the people who got into the sport at the end of his career. James reminded me of Roczen with the way he interacted with his fans and his outgoing personality in interviews.

I love this shot I got of James after his San Diego win in 2014.

TXDirt
9/2/2018 3:53pm
twotwosix wrote:
I feel that, much like Villopoto, James is probably a really neat dude and that we really never got to know him as fans. We got...
I feel that, much like Villopoto, James is probably a really neat dude and that we really never got to know him as fans. We got a bit, but not the whole guy. I hate that he felt so betrayed by the sport that he literally felt his only option for an enjoyable life was to cut ties and go dark.

James, I hope your family is doing well and I hope you are learning how to just be a normal guy, leaving ‘Bubba’ begind. It was a hell of a chapter in your life, but I’m sure you are enjoying being Dad, Husband, business owner, etc these days. Having said that, I’d love to see you commentating some events (maybe RBSR?) and I’d love even more to stand in line for 4 hours again to say hello and get your autograph some time. Some of us simply appreciated you for the awesome talent and riding visionary you were and the spice you added to the sport. It would be really neat to see some of you again.
He's done this sport his whole life. Since like 5 years old. And once he became really good, like 10 years old, it's literally all you do for your life. A lot of top athletes go dark when they retire. It's called burnout. You hate something you once loved. It happens.
Panic_Rev
9/2/2018 4:17pm
TXDirt wrote:
He's done this sport his whole life. Since like 5 years old. And once he became really good, like 10 years old, it's literally all you...
He's done this sport his whole life. Since like 5 years old. And once he became really good, like 10 years old, it's literally all you do for your life. A lot of top athletes go dark when they retire. It's called burnout. You hate something you once loved. It happens.
Name one person that is hall of fame status in their sport that ghosted them.
BMSOBx2
9/2/2018 4:27pm
2 years ago this might've been a relevant topic, at this point WGAF? James doesn't. I know it's the off season but really? Stewart threads are played out. Time to move on.
Lightning78
9/2/2018 4:46pm
ob wrote:
Not cool at all. Ever heard of his reality show bubbas world? He lost me at “Ive never driven a manual car”. Bad ass on a...
Not cool at all. Ever heard of his reality show bubbas world? He lost me at “Ive never driven a manual car”. Bad ass on a bike, no way to deny that.
I met him briefly during the filming of one of the Bubbas World episodes. It was the episode where they go to Nate Adam's house for a party and im actually in the episode for a brief second in the beginning of that episode when they speed up the camera as they're walking into the party the camera goes back to normal speed and is looking right at me leaning against a wall with a red cup in my hand..lol.

This was in 08 the party took place on the Monday night of Labor Day weekend. There weren't that many people there maybe 30-40 and all of them minus the handful of smoking hot ass chicks were pro racers and freestyle guys. I'll tell you this James definitely wasn't the happy smiling having fun kind of guy he was in later years That night. Some of the camera guys were trying to get him to go mingle with certain dudesand what not and he kept saying "Man, fuck that" "Fuck this"

"Man,....fuck that motherfucker" and that one was directed towards a certain rider (IT9) James had recently landed on and broke the guys arm, he kept shouting his name and raising his arm up in the air to heckle James about his broken hand from a few years ago He kept calling his name "Yo James! Check it out...take a look" Roger Larsen was with James that night too and Ivan was calling Roger out "Hey Roger...look at what your guy did to me" trying to show him the scars.... You could clearly tell Ivan was still pissed about it.

Now I'm a huge James Stewart fan but that night james was Walking around with a tough guy scowl on his face never saw him smile once...... On the other hand though I really felt bad for the guy because you could overhear quite a few of the freestyle guys (all of these guys have long since disappeared) and a couple racers saying "Oh that fucking N****r is here"

Now I don't know if James heard any of this and quite frankly I was surprised to hear it myself but That was just chatter from a few circles of dudes. Most of the people at the party were cool and receptive To him being there the girls were definitely stoked haha.

I very briefly got to say Hi to him and he said what's up back and that was about it that's my only interaction on a personal level James And at that time it's understandable why he was little arrogant in his demeanor. He seems to be a really cool dude post Yamaha says and on I always have and always will be a huge fan of his and my short interaction didn't really make me think any less of him but it was pretty jacked up to hear some of those guys talking about him like that.

Overall was a really fun experience though I was able to get invited to the party because my good buddy's brother was living at Nate's house at the time

9/2/2018 6:41pm
Id say james stewart heard the word "n*gger" enough times at the track growing up that he always was wondering if and when he was going to hear it again. Im guessing he was always on guard and wondering if he was going to have trouble. My two cents anyway. Cant blame the guy for being introverted.
mx5471
9/2/2018 7:35pm
I met James 1 time at Loretta Lynn's when my son raced there. It was in 2004. One evening, we were standing on the hill and she saw James walking with another dude that turned out to be an AMA official. So she says to me, go down there and ask if he will take a picture with me. I said I can't do that. He's got down time from the crowds. She said go. As anyone that's married knows, I had to. I walked up to him and said hi James, I'm sorry to bother you. He shook my hand, and I said to him, I had to do this or my wife will never forgive me. She wants a picture with you, but I can go back and at least say I tried. She was waving, and he said is that her. I said yes, and he waved her down. We talked a minute, and he put his arm around her, and I took a nice picture. We all talked a couple minutes more, and said goodbye. He was very nice, I showed the picture to a racing friend that was going to Broome in New York State, when they had Nationals there. He took the picture into the pits and asked James to sign it. And James remembered it. and told my buddy how it happened. He signed it, and gave my friends son a pair of his goggles, and signed them also. Say what you will, from my personal experience with James, He's a good guy..
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2067th
9/2/2018 8:17pm
Did James ever really embrace social media like chad did? Social media just adds a whole layer of fan interaction or just sharing your life.

Being cool at the races and being able to consistently post to your fans or at least be expected to is kinda gross. But also these days neccesary.

I like the sort of fan interaction Emig and MC did in the 90s. Mainly just cool ass video edits released on VHS that we would watch over and over. Meanwhile they are living life on the lake, stoned, probably.

I feel like everyone on Vital is in a parasocial relationship with the riders. Its kinda gross.

Stephon
9/2/2018 10:28pm
Id say james stewart heard the word "n*gger" enough times at the track growing up that he always was wondering if and when he was going...
Id say james stewart heard the word "n*gger" enough times at the track growing up that he always was wondering if and when he was going to hear it again. Im guessing he was always on guard and wondering if he was going to have trouble. My two cents anyway. Cant blame the guy for being introverted.
Agreed.

I think this has a lot to do with him largely disappearing from the sport. He has a choice to limit his exposure to those types of people. Unfortunately, it's alive and well. I'm sure he and his family experienced some horrible people saying horrible things to them. That said, I believe most people respected and appreciated what he brought to the sport.
stone881
9/3/2018 7:05am
No, he's a dick... as per my buddy who used to be a Red Bull athlete manager.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/3/2018 8:54am
Id say james stewart heard the word "n*gger" enough times at the track growing up that he always was wondering if and when he was going...
Stephon wrote:
Agreed. I think this has a lot to do with him largely disappearing from the sport. He has a choice to limit his exposure to those...
Agreed.

I think this has a lot to do with him largely disappearing from the sport. He has a choice to limit his exposure to those types of people. Unfortunately, it's alive and well. I'm sure he and his family experienced some horrible people saying horrible things to them. That said, I believe most people respected and appreciated what he brought to the sport.
So your saying he was inbarresed fo be the fastest man on the planet while he happened to be a black man? I say duck no.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/3/2018 9:03am
Stephon wrote:
Agreed. I think this has a lot to do with him largely disappearing from the sport. He has a choice to limit his exposure to those...
Agreed.

Is this a joke? Man the fuck up. People say horrible things regardless if your purple white yellow black or green. Bubba is a real man, he doesn't give a fuck. Just how stupid can you be, or by me saying that does it turn into the reasoning is your black? Real men don't walk around with a chip on the shoulder, regardless of the color of there skin.
drt410
9/3/2018 9:39am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 9:44am
ob wrote:
Not cool at all. Ever heard of his reality show bubbas world? He lost me at “Ive never driven a manual car”. Bad ass on a...
I met him briefly during the filming of one of the Bubbas World episodes. It was the episode where they go to Nate Adam's house for...
I met him briefly during the filming of one of the Bubbas World episodes. It was the episode where they go to Nate Adam's house for a party and im actually in the episode for a brief second in the beginning of that episode when they speed up the camera as they're walking into the party the camera goes back to normal speed and is looking right at me leaning against a wall with a red cup in my hand..lol.

This was in 08 the party took place on the Monday night of Labor Day weekend. There weren't that many people there maybe 30-40 and all of them minus the handful of smoking hot ass chicks were pro racers and freestyle guys. I'll tell you this James definitely wasn't the happy smiling having fun kind of guy he was in later years That night. Some of the camera guys were trying to get him to go mingle with certain dudesand what not and he kept saying "Man, fuck that" "Fuck this"

"Man,....fuck that motherfucker" and that one was directed towards a certain rider (IT9) James had recently landed on and broke the guys arm, he kept shouting his name and raising his arm up in the air to heckle James about his broken hand from a few years ago He kept calling his name "Yo James! Check it out...take a look" Roger Larsen was with James that night too and Ivan was calling Roger out "Hey Roger...look at what your guy did to me" trying to show him the scars.... You could clearly tell Ivan was still pissed about it.

Now I'm a huge James Stewart fan but that night james was Walking around with a tough guy scowl on his face never saw him smile once...... On the other hand though I really felt bad for the guy because you could overhear quite a few of the freestyle guys (all of these guys have long since disappeared) and a couple racers saying "Oh that fucking N****r is here"

Now I don't know if James heard any of this and quite frankly I was surprised to hear it myself but That was just chatter from a few circles of dudes. Most of the people at the party were cool and receptive To him being there the girls were definitely stoked haha.

I very briefly got to say Hi to him and he said what's up back and that was about it that's my only interaction on a personal level James And at that time it's understandable why he was little arrogant in his demeanor. He seems to be a really cool dude post Yamaha says and on I always have and always will be a huge fan of his and my short interaction didn't really make me think any less of him but it was pretty jacked up to hear some of those guys talking about him like that.

Overall was a really fun experience though I was able to get invited to the party because my good buddy's brother was living at Nate's house at the time

If theyre all calling him the N word I can only imagine why he would say fuck those guys... can you blame him? Even if he didn't hear it right then he knows the people and Im sure it was not the first time its ever happened. If your an N word type of crowd your an N word type of crowd... Would you be pumped to see the people that call you one of the worst insults in history for no reason other than your skin color? Like he said, fuck those guys. Really adds to the stereotype of the freestyle guys being a bunch of unprofessional hicks that couldnt hack it in the professional side of the sport so they had to go clown around with black plastic and chains and shit doing superman seat grabs lol. Clowns.
toroP
9/3/2018 11:17am
Why do fans think they know the riders?
9/3/2018 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 12:18pm
James and his family were always approachable. He was a celebrity at the track from the time he was 8. funny kid. Always focused. His mom is nicest woman you’d ever meet.

In his pro career he’d text out or instagram / tweet the restaurant he was at the night before a sx and if you showed up HE PAID THE TAB.

He didn’t owe anyone that, and he did it. Now why don’t we owe him some damn privacy if he wants it ?!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
9/3/2018 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 1:00pm
Stephon wrote:
Agreed.

Is that the best you clowns can come up with.? This is the kind of posts that spawned the word Vitard. Pinch
dirtnapper
9/3/2018 1:12pm
So.....you REALLY waited in line for 4 hours to get an autograph? Dry

I'd only do that for....um NO ONE EVER.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/3/2018 1:27pm
Hey kids... downvote me since you're yet a man or racist. Your choice on the option. Lol. Little wanta be men rampant here.

Post a reply to: Was James Stewart the coolest rider that we never truly got to know as fans?

The Latest