Was Anderson's pass blown out of proportion?

Edited Date/Time 1/15/2019 7:27pm
I saw the pass and didn't think twice about it as being dirty in any way. Anderson had been stalking Roczen for a bit and took his line away. Roczen hit Anderson's rear tire and fell down. It was well executed pass in my opinion. In no way did Anderson torpedo into the side of Roczen as with most passes that become controversial.

When I logged back on last night I was surprised to see a plethora of discussion about this "dirty" block pass. Perhaps this is getting so much attention due to Roczen's large fan base combined with Anderson's reputation? Do the majority of present day race fans really think this pass was dirty? If yes, I'm in the minority but let's see what the poll numbers show. I tried to cover all bases with having with (2) options for those on each side of the tracks.
Poll

My opinion of Anderson's pass:

Choices
|
Sierra Ranger
1/14/2019 10:49am
Man, I used to laugh when people talked about pussification of the sport. Are you kidding me? If Roczen turned down .5 seconds later, nobody would have said anything.
At this rate, we're going to have SissyCross as riders know they will be getting so much crap from the keyboard warriors- they will be afraid to touch anybody.
Donovan759
1/14/2019 10:50am
Is everyone tired of these threads?

1. More than likely.
2. Most definitely.
3. Outstandably
4. Yeah, no for sure.
5. Other
JAFO92
1/14/2019 10:52am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2019 11:23am
That pass was good racing. Still cant believe KRoc didnt see that coming and wasnt ready for it. Even slow turds like me know you hafta "ride-wide" when someone is that close behind you.
Bike Rat
1/14/2019 10:54am
I’m a Kenny fan, and definitely want to see him stay healthy and race all your long. On the flipside it’s awesome to see an aggressive pass for the lead, and no injuries as a result. It’s good to see the Anderson still has that drive and the ability to take a mofo out if needed

The Shop

1/14/2019 11:02am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2019 11:02am
I didn't think it was anything over the top, definitely aggressive but not as bad as what Anderson did to Marv in Oakland last year IMO.

I may be wrong but I think a decent chunk of the outrage comes purely because it was done to Kenny, if Anderson did that to Musquin or Baggett you probably wouldn't see as many people who had a problem with it. Just my opinion.
1/14/2019 11:05am
Donovan759 wrote:

1. More than likely.
2. Most definitely.
3. Outstandably
4. Yeah, no for sure.
5. Other
There's often a small group of squeaky wheels who dominate the forums with complaints and heavily opinionated thread discussions. Meanwhile, there's a ton of other members who prefer to stay out of the bickering. A poll allows everyone to express their opinions without getting caught up in the nonsense. The poll numbers will reveal if we have a small group of complainers making all the noise, or if the majority of race fans really do believe that pass was dirty.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
1/14/2019 11:13am
Ando did way worse to Seely when they were in the small bike class. Roczen got upset - he will either retaliate at some point, or forgive and forget. The latter is not likely...
Donovan759
1/14/2019 11:25am
Donovan759 wrote:

1. More than likely.
2. Most definitely.
3. Outstandably
4. Yeah, no for sure.
5. Other
There's often a small group of squeaky wheels who dominate the forums with complaints and heavily opinionated thread discussions. Meanwhile, there's a ton of other members...
There's often a small group of squeaky wheels who dominate the forums with complaints and heavily opinionated thread discussions. Meanwhile, there's a ton of other members who prefer to stay out of the bickering. A poll allows everyone to express their opinions without getting caught up in the nonsense. The poll numbers will reveal if we have a small group of complainers making all the noise, or if the majority of race fans really do believe that pass was dirty.
Yeah, I'm just messing with you man. I think it's a good poll.
psg119
1/14/2019 11:27am
I don't have a problem with the pass. I think Ken should have been more aware that that would happen since that is typically Anderson's MO. But I don't get how some of you are trying to justify the takeout as a racing incident of Ken "cutting down early" and Anderson wanting to go from inside to out that I have been reading everywhere. Ken was in a race line. Most likely one he had been riding for the whole race. Anderson took note of that line while chasing him and clearly intentionally cut across the ruts to create contact. Was it dirty? Definitely not the dirtiest. It is SX, it happens all the time. But was it intentional? Definitely. If Anderson stated it was dirty then you have it from the man himself that it was dirty. There doesn't need to be a pole about it.

I think Ken could have protected it more and I think Jason probably could have passed him without doing that. But he did and that's SX. It's a badass sport with badass people that don't always make the right decision and that's what makes it awesome. I do agree with some that he was apologizing because he actually wants to win straight up battles and not win like that anymore judging from the fact of how much he said that when Tomac was beating him in the last half of the season last year. He wants to be the champ that is clearly fastest out there with no debate about it. But if he is going to ride like that I don't think he should only be apologetic only because it was Ken the people's champ (if that's why he apologized). We all love Kenny but he's out there like everyone else and should be raced hard against like everyone else. Again, I think it was a good move and Ken should have been ready for that coming knowing who was behind him.
psg119
1/14/2019 11:30am
Also, go Baggett!
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
1/14/2019 11:34am
Donovan759 wrote:

1. More than likely.
2. Most definitely.
3. Outstandably
4. Yeah, no for sure.
5. Other
you forgot defiantly
1/14/2019 11:39am
mxrose3 wrote:
Ando did way worse to Seely when they were in the small bike class. Roczen got upset - he will either retaliate at some point, or...
Ando did way worse to Seely when they were in the small bike class. Roczen got upset - he will either retaliate at some point, or forgive and forget. The latter is not likely...
lets hope he doesn't retaliate like he did with webb!
mattthephat
1/14/2019 11:41am
It was a bit of a rough pass. It sucks for KR, but they're going for a title, right???
VetMX.com
1/14/2019 11:46am
The fact that question #2 has the most votes prove most people on Vital are racers or have raced in the past.

He telegraphed it the lap before that he was not protecting that turn and you could have drove a truck into that hole. If KR just didn't turn down into him there would have been no crash.

People need to cut the PC crap, this is racing at the highest level for big bucks. Not Poli Sci class with snowflake professor and students.
Even KR was not butt hurt about it.

JA is just a mellow guy IRL and probably was beating himself up over it. He showed he can still haul it and I am still taking him FTW this year.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/14/2019 11:53am
Almost dirty, but not quite.
1/14/2019 12:06pm
Aggressive but not dirty, unfortunately the corner speed the guys carry now days mean that this is how a lot of ‘good ol fashioned block passes’ end, there is no time to check up.
Kenny got a warning the lap before, anyone that thinks it was a ‘dirty pass’ is blinded by their fanboy-ism.
Grenader26
1/14/2019 12:11pm
Haven’t seen anyone ride the poll this hard since Debby visited Dallas.
swizcore
1/14/2019 12:11pm
In short, yes by Anderson on the podium.
1/14/2019 12:14pm
VetMX.com wrote:
The fact that question #2 has the most votes prove most people on Vital are racers or have raced in the past. He telegraphed it the...
The fact that question #2 has the most votes prove most people on Vital are racers or have raced in the past.

He telegraphed it the lap before that he was not protecting that turn and you could have drove a truck into that hole. If KR just didn't turn down into him there would have been no crash.

People need to cut the PC crap, this is racing at the highest level for big bucks. Not Poli Sci class with snowflake professor and students.
Even KR was not butt hurt about it.

JA is just a mellow guy IRL and probably was beating himself up over it. He showed he can still haul it and I am still taking him FTW this year.
Even KR was not butt hurt about it

This x100

I wish we could just leave the great new national pastime of being offended by absolutely EVERYONE and EVERYTHING out of our sport.

"Was the pass appropriate? And was the apology tasteful enough? Worded correctly and respectfully?!? Etc., etc..." SickSickSick
Turbojez
1/14/2019 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/14/2019 12:20pm
Do we really have to beat every pass, that involves some physical contact, to death for a couple of days in multiple dedicated threads + post opinions on those passes in every other thread that mentions either party from said pass?

Sx is a contact sport.
It happened, nobody got hurt, life goes on!

Edit: I see your point now, OP, after reading your reply to Donovan. Makes sense to me.
I just checked the results, we are not that pussified yet!!! Grinning
peelout
1/14/2019 12:17pm
i thought it was unnecessary, but it's not unlike any other pass that he's ever done. i'll put my money on the guy that doesn't have to drop someone to pass them. that said, maybe Kenny got a little caught up in his own race because he could have protected the inside better.

really liked Bagget's pass on Anderson, that's the kind of pass i like to see and i think it was a bigger "FU" than hitting him.
1/14/2019 3:29pm
So you're leading the main event and the bike with the big number "1" on it is right behind you. You know that from your pit board of course, or from glancing over your shoulder in a couple of corners. He's breathing down your neck and you don't think he's going to come underneath you? Come on, it's indoor racing. Situation awareness. Now if you do that outdoors, expect an ass whoopin.

Josh Cartwright and Brandon Glenn

crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
1/14/2019 4:16pm
So you're leading the main event and the bike with the big number "1" on it is right behind you. You know that from your pit...
So you're leading the main event and the bike with the big number "1" on it is right behind you. You know that from your pit board of course, or from glancing over your shoulder in a couple of corners. He's breathing down your neck and you don't think he's going to come underneath you? Come on, it's indoor racing. Situation awareness. Now if you do that outdoors, expect an ass whoopin.

Josh Cartwright and Brandon Glenn

So what do you suggest him to do? Go on the edge on every berm when someone is behind you?
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
1/14/2019 4:49pm
It didn't look too dirty to me, but it does seems to me that guys like Kenny, Eli, Marv, Baggett, and a few other of the top riders try and race each other for the most part with a "gentleman's rule" of racing hard yet clean for the majority of the race, and then shit gets real and heated once there's about two laps or less to go. Dungey and RV had this between each other too.

Ando and Barcia are two riders who immediately come to mind that do not race this way at all. So you just have to know who you're dealing with and Kenny was a little too nice giving the whole inside away to Ando.
nealb129
1/14/2019 5:19pm
I didn't think it was anything over the top, definitely aggressive but not as bad as what Anderson did to Marv in Oakland last year IMO...
I didn't think it was anything over the top, definitely aggressive but not as bad as what Anderson did to Marv in Oakland last year IMO.

I may be wrong but I think a decent chunk of the outrage comes purely because it was done to Kenny, if Anderson did that to Musquin or Baggett you probably wouldn't see as many people who had a problem with it. Just my opinion.
This. It was done to a fan favorite. Same response if the pass had been made on Tomac. Anyone else and it’s no discussion.
joeellis
1/14/2019 6:14pm
It looked worse to me when it initially happened, but it was still very aggressive imo. That's why I voted #2. Anderson did move from center/left of the lane to the very right which caused him to cross over the entire turn whether Kenny turned down too tight or not. Typically a well executed block pass imo occurs when the back rider is closer to the lead rider allowing him to block sooner and more from the side. I know at these speeds, that timing is very difficult, but looking back on the incident, I feel Anderson could have waited for a better opportunity. I'm all for aggressive racing, I just don't care for it when someone has to go down in the process. To me that seems the rider behind isn't quite as fast as the other rider.
barnett468
1/14/2019 6:32pm
Donovan759 wrote:

1. More than likely.
2. Most definitely.
3. Outstandably
4. Yeah, no for sure.
5. Other
6. Fuk yes.

Post a reply to: Was Anderson's pass blown out of proportion?

The Latest