Warranties

Ryguy125
Does anyone have any experiences with brands doling out warranties with their products?

I.E. I had the rear shock seal blow out on my '21 Beta 390 with ~20 hours. Beta support emailed me saying that they didn't warranty seals on forks or shocks. I figured that was a reasonable response, so I let it be at that. Then about 6 hours later they emailed me saying they wanted to look into it more and decided to warranty it. I'm not sure I'd have that luck with other brands (I've heard horror stories with KTM not wanting to warranty stuff)

I'm just curious if any of you have had any luck with getting warranty work done!
|
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
6/13/2022 5:37pm
I’ve been nothing less than pleased with Beta in regards to warranty. Very quick claims process via local dealer and a small enough organization it doesn’t take long to get the approval and get it done.

Sherco imo is similar with their support. No experience with warranty, but sherco USA had me an entire air box assembly in about 18 hours from my call to moab, Utah so I could make 5MOH the next day.
Ryguy125
6/13/2022 5:42pm
1983YZ125 wrote:
I’ve been nothing less than pleased with Beta in regards to warranty. Very quick claims process via local dealer and a small enough organization it doesn’t...
I’ve been nothing less than pleased with Beta in regards to warranty. Very quick claims process via local dealer and a small enough organization it doesn’t take long to get the approval and get it done.

Sherco imo is similar with their support. No experience with warranty, but sherco USA had me an entire air box assembly in about 18 hours from my call to moab, Utah so I could make 5MOH the next day.
I hadn't even brought it to the dealer yet. I just went to their online form to see if I would have a shot with getting it covered. Being that it's more of a wear item I assumed I wouldn't get it, but I've heard of Beta covering engines with over 160 hours on them. I'm pleasantly surprised with Beta thus far.
willbilly
6/13/2022 5:42pm
No Mx or offroad competition motorcycle offers a warranty except for KTM and a few others. KTMs warranty is limited but at least they will take care of defects on a new bike. You probably haven’t heard horror stories from other brands “warranties” because there are none.
Rickyisms
6/13/2022 5:43pm
KTM seems to have done well performing warranties on problems that are their own fault, at least they step up though.

Seems help from a Japanese manufacturer is non existent in most cases.

The Shop

Ryguy125
6/13/2022 5:48pm
Rickyisms wrote:
KTM seems to have done well performing warranties on problems that are their own fault, at least they step up though. Seems help from a Japanese...
KTM seems to have done well performing warranties on problems that are their own fault, at least they step up though.

Seems help from a Japanese manufacturer is non existent in most cases.
I was reading how a guy rode with a stick through his radiator, managed to fry the top end on his 4 stroke and Beta covered the whole repair. I guess he had upwards of 200 hours on it and they still covered it. I never had any issues on my KTM to need to worry about it being covered so I'm just pleased with how willing Beta is to warranty stuff.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
6/13/2022 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 6:05pm
Ryguy125 wrote:
I hadn't even brought it to the dealer yet. I just went to their online form to see if I would have a shot with getting...
I hadn't even brought it to the dealer yet. I just went to their online form to see if I would have a shot with getting it covered. Being that it's more of a wear item I assumed I wouldn't get it, but I've heard of Beta covering engines with over 160 hours on them. I'm pleasantly surprised with Beta thus far.
We’re currently on bike 3, 4, 5 and 6 from Beta.
Zero complaints and we have no intention to switch brands.

For the price, and customer support, they are the best bikes available imo. Dealers are small and very friendly, parts are no harder to get than any other brand at this point from my experience.

4 of the bikes have had very minor warranty claims at various points, but all insignificant and just a bonus we lived near a beta dealer at the time or I’d have happily paid out of pocket and fixed myself.
crusher773
6/13/2022 7:23pm
Yeah KTM stands with their stuff. None of the Japanese do at all.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
6/13/2022 7:39pm
I have first hand experience with KTM and how they have gone above and beyond with their customer service. I know countless people that have had the same thing. From replacing frames or swing arms from bikes out of warranty, to full blown crate motor exchanges. I can’t recall ever knowing anyone personally who had a bad experience with KTM not standing behind their product.
Ryguy125
6/13/2022 8:09pm
langhammx wrote:
I have first hand experience with KTM and how they have gone above and beyond with their customer service. I know countless people that have had...
I have first hand experience with KTM and how they have gone above and beyond with their customer service. I know countless people that have had the same thing. From replacing frames or swing arms from bikes out of warranty, to full blown crate motor exchanges. I can’t recall ever knowing anyone personally who had a bad experience with KTM not standing behind their product.
I am sorely mistaken then. I thought I heard KTM giving people a tough time. appreciate the clarification on that! Its always good to hear brands helping out the people who ride each week.
Pirate421
6/13/2022 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2022 8:24pm
Wish dirtbike companies offered warranties on bikes like mountain bike companies do. High end mt bike frames usually carry a 5 yr to lifetime warranty as well as some things like wheels and some suspension components. Many bicycle parts are equal or more expensive than dirtbikes.

Obviously engine warranties are harder and less cost effective due to the nature of use but I’d be interested if the manufacturer offered some sort of warranty like a car comes with. Pay maybe a few hundred $$ to warranty the bike for a certain amount of years or hours. Say the gearbox eats itself or an oil pump gear goes out and takes out the top end, you paid for a warranty so the shop just replaces it as long as it’s due to some sort of defect. Frame cracks, the send you a new one. I’ve done it a few times with bicycles and it’s been pain free and warranty definitely plays into which bike i purchase.
6/14/2022 1:05am
Pirate421 wrote:
Wish dirtbike companies offered warranties on bikes like mountain bike companies do. High end mt bike frames usually carry a 5 yr to lifetime warranty as...
Wish dirtbike companies offered warranties on bikes like mountain bike companies do. High end mt bike frames usually carry a 5 yr to lifetime warranty as well as some things like wheels and some suspension components. Many bicycle parts are equal or more expensive than dirtbikes.

Obviously engine warranties are harder and less cost effective due to the nature of use but I’d be interested if the manufacturer offered some sort of warranty like a car comes with. Pay maybe a few hundred $$ to warranty the bike for a certain amount of years or hours. Say the gearbox eats itself or an oil pump gear goes out and takes out the top end, you paid for a warranty so the shop just replaces it as long as it’s due to some sort of defect. Frame cracks, the send you a new one. I’ve done it a few times with bicycles and it’s been pain free and warranty definitely plays into which bike i purchase.
We don’t pay enough for our dirt bikes.

The cycle industry waaaaaaaaay over prices new bikes, but then stands by them with a decent warranty.

If we want that support with dirt bikes, they’d need to be about $30k to buy new.
Richy
6/14/2022 1:34am
Pirate421 wrote:
Wish dirtbike companies offered warranties on bikes like mountain bike companies do. High end mt bike frames usually carry a 5 yr to lifetime warranty as...

With all due respect, warrantying wheels is an absolutely insane concept and I don't know why anyone would do that, besides manufacturing defects of course.

I can understand wanting a warranty on frames, as a non-pro speed rider, a motocross bike's frame should be the one thing that you can count on to last a substantial amount of time, barring neglect or owner-induced corrosion / dents that weaken it significantly.

Any warranty on a race bike designed to perform at its maximum *outside of manufacturing defects* should be thought of as a good will gesture from the manufacturer and can't reasonably be expected. You bought it because they scraped all the performance they could out of it, it will not last forever because of that, although most do very well considering.
Motofinne
6/14/2022 1:46am
Interesting that you have heard horror stories about KTM and warranties. It's pretty much consensus that they're by far the best when it comes to standing behind their bikes compared to the Japanese OEMs.
Pirate421
6/14/2022 3:17am
Richy wrote:
With all due respect, warrantying wheels is an absolutely insane concept and I don't know why anyone would do that, besides manufacturing defects of course. I...
With all due respect, warrantying wheels is an absolutely insane concept and I don't know why anyone would do that, besides manufacturing defects of course.

I can understand wanting a warranty on frames, as a non-pro speed rider, a motocross bike's frame should be the one thing that you can count on to last a substantial amount of time, barring neglect or owner-induced corrosion / dents that weaken it significantly.

Any warranty on a race bike designed to perform at its maximum *outside of manufacturing defects* should be thought of as a good will gesture from the manufacturer and can't reasonably be expected. You bought it because they scraped all the performance they could out of it, it will not last forever because of that, although most do very well considering.
Yea I just used wheels as an example because most bike manufacturers warranty’s offer some sort of no fault clause. Where if you bend/dent or break it during a crash you pay a percentage to have it replaced. As an example if I crashed my bicycle and broke the frame and it was a $2,000 frame, the no fault warranty would have me pay maybe $750 to replace it. Same with wheels, if I bought a $1200 carbon wheel set and I break one, I don’t pay $1200 to replace it but a much smaller %.
Pirate421
6/14/2022 3:26am
We don’t pay enough for our dirt bikes. The cycle industry waaaaaaaaay over prices new bikes, but then stands by them with a decent warranty. If...

The cycle industry waaaaaaaaay over prices new bikes, but then stands by them with a decent warranty.

If we want that support with dirt bikes, they’d need to be about $30k to buy new.
I agree, but would paying for a warranty like you would a car be beneficial? Or like the example I posted above, some sort of no fault clause where if something breaks or there is an issue you aren’t on the hook for paying full retail for the parts to fix it? If you buy a bike brand new and break a part and Rocky Mountain sells that part for $200 but the actual cost is $75, couldn’t the warranty allow you to buy that part for $75 from the dealer? That’s just an example but I would think there would be a way for the oems to offer something. I know it would affect my purchase of future bikes if they did.
Richy
6/14/2022 4:25am
Now you mention it I do remember buying a few US Made BMX frames over the years (S&M Stricker, Standard 250, Fit Bike Co S2 for the other 30-40 year old dudes here haha) that had lifetime warranties like you mention, it was definitely a vote of confidence that you couldn't kill them off and you'd be sorted out if you did.

I can definitely see a case for frames being guaranteed. The percentage thing sounds interesting, but I think it's a fundamental difference with motorised stuff with attitudes / business models trickling down from the automotive industry.

Either way, it is pretty impressive how modern bikes hold up (or even not so modern, plenty of barely touched 00's 2 Strokes still going strong).
6/14/2022 4:29am
We don’t pay enough for our dirt bikes. The cycle industry waaaaaaaaay over prices new bikes, but then stands by them with a decent warranty. If...

Pirate421 wrote:
I agree, but would paying for a warranty like you would a car be beneficial? Or like the example I posted above, some sort of no...
I agree, but would paying for a warranty like you would a car be beneficial? Or like the example I posted above, some sort of no fault clause where if something breaks or there is an issue you aren’t on the hook for paying full retail for the parts to fix it? If you buy a bike brand new and break a part and Rocky Mountain sells that part for $200 but the actual cost is $75, couldn’t the warranty allow you to buy that part for $75 from the dealer? That’s just an example but I would think there would be a way for the oems to offer something. I know it would affect my purchase of future bikes if they did.
I guess the cheaper parts price for warranty claims os a good idea- supply your chassis number, receipt of purchase and dealer details and you get a good discount. KTM manage this type of thing by making sure only FE owners can buy the graphics by supplying chassis number.

As for a warranty policy for a car- I bet that warranty would be null & voice if you told the insurer that you were using the car for track days or race/rally.

Post a reply to: Warranties

The Latest