Warning---Graphic. Be careful wrenching!

Meister
Edited Date/Time 1/28/2018 2:13pm
So, I was working on my bike yesterday before our first night race of the year. I was finishing up the new scheme which you can see in the bike build forum and my reason for it. I was down to the finishing touches for the day and I was painting the dunlop logos on my tires with a paint marker. I had just finished the first coat on the front left side. I was sitting in front of the bike kinda knelt down. I turned the wheel to the left so I could get back to checking the right side to see if it was ready for a second coat. As a was rotating the wheel with my left hand to get the writing in better positiion to apply the paint, somehow my right hand was near the bottom of the fork lug. When I started rotating I felt a pinch on my right ring finger. It had barely gotten caught in the inside of the rotor and between the brake caliper bracket. Thought I just knicked myself. I looked down and seen my finger tip and nail just hanging there. Immediately ran inside and ran it under cold water, covered it in paper towel and duct taped it (well, my wife did).. I headed to the ER to see what they would do. As you can see, it was damn near clean off.Held on with about an 1/8" skin holding it on there. Right through the nail and everything. I ended up with 7 stitches for now and an appointment with a hand surgeon early this week. Theres a 50/50 chance of it surviving.

My point here is, even if your doing something simple with no tools, no stored energy, no knives, just stupid stuff with the bike. BE CAREFUL. Took me 31 years to finally get a stitch (countless broken bones and lacerations, but never had stitches). If you get queezy easy, dont look. If not, take a peak and see what can happen in a matter of seconds when doing something stupid in the garage.

|
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
4/23/2017 3:29pm
Jesus, it's the simple stuff that gets ya
Justin345
4/23/2017 3:30pm
I play the "just the tip" game with my wife but definitely not like this. Ouch!! Good luck man, I hope they are able to save it for you.

The Shop

Dtat720
4/23/2017 3:41pm
Dang! My buddy did the same thing a few weeks ago to his thumb. He was being lazy and tried to put a springer front end on a harley frame fully asembled instead of trees first. The frame shifted and slammed down on his thumb cutting it in half. Finger injuries are gross man lol.
Meister
4/23/2017 3:45pm
Thanks guys. The weird thing was that there was literally hardly any force applied while I was rotating the wheel. Still dont know how it did this much damage. I did check out the rotor when I got home and those inside edges are sharp as hell!
MR. X
4/23/2017 3:55pm
Atta boy , now heal up.
Wade221
4/23/2017 4:14pm
The exact same thing happened to my friend when we were unloading his brand new bike out of a crate. He was holding it under the fork, and like you said, the wheel barely moved. He kinda said "ouch, shit!" And held his hand up with a freaking nub blood index finger! Strangest accident I've ever seen
RACERX69
4/23/2017 4:15pm
I think that's going to leave a mark! Wink
4/23/2017 4:36pm
I second this, need to really be careful because it can happen to you when you least expect it. My uncle was not so lucky, he just these because they died off after the surgeon reattach them. He is a finish carpenter of 40yrs and his fingers were gone in a split second. If he had been using a Sawstop this would not have happened. Anyone who uses table saws on a regular basis might want to take a look into Sawstop saws. The blade stops the instant it touches your finger, only leaving a small cut instead of cutting off your fingers. It costs you a few hundred to get the saw repaired, but that's much better than losing your fingers.

JBecker 72
4/23/2017 5:03pm
Damn man, that's gnarly. My friends little brother did the same thing about 10 years ago on a mountain bike rotor. Though he got less of the tip. It sliced clean off and the bone was exposed.

Brake rotors are no joke.
305FC250
4/23/2017 6:07pm
Thats gnarly as hell. Definitely a good point about always maintaining awareness even with the simple stuff. Wishing you the best on your recovery.
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
4/23/2017 6:22pm
yuck. makes me think brake covers should be mandatory. any power tool. thousands of reps..you only have to screw up once. the machine is a very patient animal.
4/23/2017 6:28pm
I second this, need to really be careful because it can happen to you when you least expect it. My uncle was not so lucky, he...
I second this, need to really be careful because it can happen to you when you least expect it. My uncle was not so lucky, he just these because they died off after the surgeon reattach them. He is a finish carpenter of 40yrs and his fingers were gone in a split second. If he had been using a Sawstop this would not have happened. Anyone who uses table saws on a regular basis might want to take a look into Sawstop saws. The blade stops the instant it touches your finger, only leaving a small cut instead of cutting off your fingers. It costs you a few hundred to get the saw repaired, but that's much better than losing your fingers.

We just started using a sawstop at my work. First time running a laminate with a metallic finish l. It stopped instantly. The replacement stop is 70 bucks. Well worth it
Ebs
4/23/2017 6:31pm
If you consider the brake pads pretty much act like a sharpening stone on the square edge of the disk, it's going to stay sharp.

At least you didn't top the cleaning my chain with the bike in gear and there goes my fangers through the sprocket guy.
r.sal923
4/23/2017 6:45pm
My brother and I were going to go ride one day and we could not find a ramp. So we man handled the bikes into the back of the truck. The first bike went in great, the second bike as soon as the front wheel hit the tail gate........ slice , there goes the tip of his finger. Rotors a sharp , very sharp.
Meister
4/23/2017 7:23pm
Black diesel, I am a journeyman carpenter as well. Ironic. Lol

Txdirt, when I sell this bike I'm keeping this rotor. Lol. First time a rotor got me in 20+ years of Moto.

Still convinced it's just luck. I'm a pretty safety concious person due to my industrial type of work. Just a freak thing.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
4/23/2017 7:50pm
I will NEVER use that tire marker stuff again.

Heal up quick bud, makes me sick seeing that. You will have pain in that tip until you die
kkawboy14
4/23/2017 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 8:00pm
TXDirt wrote:
Rotor 1 - Rider 0
Right! I don't think I would come out for round 2 Smile
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
4/23/2017 8:37pm
That's some gnarly stuff. Thanks for sharing it though.

I had no idea a rotor could do that at low speed.
I went mountain biking right after seeing this, and kept thinking about rotors.
I will definitely keep my hands away from them.

I hope you heal up well Smile .
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
4/23/2017 10:32pm
I just learned a lesson. My bikes are on stands and both wheels are off the ground. I'll be putting locks in the rotors to keep the KIDS fingers out of them. Every kid just was to walk by and spin the tires. Never thought about the rotor doing that.
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
4/23/2017 11:45pm
I'm no doctor, but I had a similar injury to my finger and it made a full recovery. I never would have thort it would grow back, but it did.

Now It's a little more distinguished, like Owen Wilsons nose. So I think you have a pretty good chance that it will be fine in a few months.

I had a guy stop in a rut in front of me, I hit his back wheel, had a small tip over, I kept two fingers on the clutch, the lever crushed the finger between the bars. The bone was broken in half sticking through the skin, with my nail sitting up like the pull ring on a beer can.

The worst part was my hand flinching while I was asleep during the recovery. I would wake up screaming. Good times.

Meister
4/24/2017 3:38am
Rad and CR, that's exactly why I posted this. If at least one person learned from my simple stupid mistake, it was well worth my time posting it. I cannot imagine if this happened to my 2 year old baby girl who loves to "work on" and play with my bike on the stand. I'm always right with her incase of falls or what not, but this happened in a split second with very little force.
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
6/14/2017 12:41pm
How's it going with the finger? Making a full recovery?
Acidreamer
6/14/2017 1:20pm
Thats what happens when you finger a tight 18 year old and pull out like youre trying to start a mower

Post a reply to: Warning---Graphic. Be careful wrenching!

The Latest